Finding Freedom: Harry and Meghan and the Making of A Modern Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Expected really - the dates are really the only thing that concerns me. The book should have been published June 2019. Did I get that right?

The royal reporters picked up on this a while ago - they knew something was coming for Meghan and Harry beside the birth of the baby. And many through it was a book or/and tie in documentary. I always through the Gayle King interview introducing Archie was to do it. But something derailed their plans until the end of the year. Yes, please take this with a pinch of hearsay.
We will just have to see what it in the book - when and if it is eventually released. It might really be nothing new. It is however not the actions of people starving for privacy.
I have digest a number of royal media over the last month of lockdown - and I just don't know how they - the press and the royal family (everyone) have not learned from their previous mistakes with the relationship with each other.

Expected really - the dates are really the only thing that concerns me. The book should have been published June 2019. Did I get that right?

From my reading of the article, it was due to be published in June 2020 but has been pushed back to August. They assume it’s because of the pandemic.

Well I will be interested to read a biography about H&M. Omid Scobie is as biased as any other royal writer. In point of fact, I would be hard pressed to name a single royal biographer who was not.

Since I know nothing other than there is a biography to be published I will leave the experts to their high dudgeon and self righteous indignation and wait until I have read it to praise or revile.

OK. If this is really happening with this book, I have to question the motives of both Harry and Meghan in doing this. With the relationship between the couple and so many people including Harry's family, the people of the UK, and even some of us avid royal watchers here, to rehash it all out in lurid detail from their point of view isn't going to do them any favors and win them any brownie points with anyone. Whatever has happened in the past belongs relegated to the ancient history file in the dusty recesses somewhere and not brought out to air again as dirty laundry hanging on a clothesline.

It does reek of self promotion and self glorification and even the has the premise that this couple is as well loved and well followed and well respected as they were before their exodus to a private life occurred. It'll sell like hotcakes though just because of all the drama, the troubles and woes sure to be bleated ad nauseum on every subject mentioned and will definitely be a point of view by the authors to paint a negative picture of everyone *but* Harry and Meghan, the "Wonder Couple That Is Going To Save The World".

Bad idea in my book. Very bad idea. :bang:

I'll also add that most likely, sometime down the line, I will get and read this book because I'm addicted to books and have a very cheap supplier. To be honest, I'm expecting it to be classified in the future much like "Diana: Her True Story" by Andrew Morton was. Of course I already have that one. Somewhere....

Holy moley coming from you......but I sure agree.

If true—-Their willingness to participate (no matter how small) speaks volumes. Best seller, guarantee to keep themselves on the front page. Oh boy, just think of all the parsing to come...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...s-sussex-cooperate-journalists-new-biography/

I guess we shall see what is truth. According to this the other royal households have been aware of the book for months. It is not an official biography and the Sussexes did no interviews (unlike what the Daily Fail claims). So time will tell when it is released.

If true than it is no different than the other 3543546540 royal books out there.

Last edited:
If true than it is no different than the other 3543546540 royal books out there.

So The Times is behind a paywall, which is unfortunate when trying to provide a balanced argument on a forum like this. From what I can read of it, this line intrigued me “with its writers being given access to the Duchess's engagements on a small number of occasions....”

That alone makes it different to the xyz number of books out their because I’m not aware of any book (correct me if I’m wrong) that has been allowed to do something like this.

The Daily Mail article does tout this as a “their story” book, and if the title is to be believed it’s an access all areas pass.

If a book of this kind was approved pre separation, I can’t wait to read about the day in the life of Catherine and William.

So The Times is behind a paywall, which is unfortunate when trying to provide a balanced argument on a forum like this. From what I can read of it, this line intrigued me “with its writers being given access to the Duchess's engagements on a small number of occasions....”

That alone makes it different to the xyz number of books out their because I’m not aware of any book (correct me if I’m wrong) that has been allowed to do something like this.

The Daily Mail article does tout this as a “their story” book, and if the title is to be believed it’s an access all areas pass.

If a book of this kind was approved pre separation, I can’t wait to read about the day in the life of Catherine and William.

There's a biog of Charles, where I believe the author did have access to him at some engagements.

Wasn't that Scobie something outed some days ago as the Sussexes unofficial spokesman ?
Sounds like an Andrew Morton 2.0.
How original ...

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a biog of Charles, where I believe the author did have access to him at some engagements.

Jobson, correct. Also Angela Levine to this day is milking her book about Harry where she was granted access to him. I am sure there are plenty more over the years, so yes it happens.

We already know both authors were at her final solo engagements.

Jobson, correct. Also Angela Levine to this day is milking her book about Harry where she was granted access to him. I am sure there are plenty more over the years, so yes it happens.

So would that be this Jobsons' book? The blurb says that Clarence House cooperated with the book, I haven't read it but what was leaked via the Daily Mail seems like there's nothing new in this book and it draws a lot from Jobsons days in the royal household and his connections.

That's certainly not what this book is being touted as.

Yes Angela Levin was given access to Henry, to produce a book but as it's Henry doing it again this time it just shows a pattern of behaviour by an individual as opposed to this being something the royal family do frequently. They don't in my opinion.

I disagree that there are "plenty more over the years" where two journalists have been given, what I see as an access all areas pass to two individuals and their engagements. As I said previously this book seems to write about Meghan and Henry from Day A to Day Z and that's definitely something that hasn't happened before.

We already know both authors were at her final solo engagements.

I knew Omid Scobie was at the engagements, as it had been quite clear at that point he was "the chosen mouthpiece" to me, but he was there to report on the engagement for Harpers. As for Carolyn, I wasn't aware she was at any engagements, how have you come about that information?

Lastly, if this book is not explosive, if it's completely 100% authorised by all royal households, why has it only come to light now? It was originally due to be out in 2 months, and unlike Ista I can't find it on Amazon or any website to purchase, for that matter.

Looking at my library here, there are all kinds of different biographical type books out about the British Royal Family from Shawcross' authorized biography of the Queen Mother (guaranteed to break any mailman's back if ordered in hard copy) to Katie Nicholll's "Making of a Royal Romance" to Robert Hardman's works focused on the Queen to Sally Bedell Smith's biographies on just about all of them. its the content that defines them.

As was pointed out, we do not know the contents yet of what this book entails and another very good point is that this book has been in the works for quite a while already and not something thrown together after the Sussex exodus to the new land. Omid Scobie does have a general reputation for being very pro Sussex and perhaps that will cloud a lot of people's minds now and deem it probably not very fair and balanced.

I will read the book. That's a given. Until then, I think I'd better amend my stance on the adage "never judge a book by its cover". I just hope it becomes available at a cheap price sooner rather than later. Only author I'll pay full price and order in advance is anything by Dan Brown. :D

I don’t see any article about a book from the Times except for the below from January. If you can post a link, I can post an excerpt from the article.

As for the Telegraph article referenced above, I have no idea what it says because I’m not a Premium member. Therefore, I can’t judge.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...eeches-could-earn-sussexes-millions-3fw36fh7z

Last edited:
Looking at my library here, there are all kinds of different biographical type books out about the British Royal Family from Shawcross' authorized biography of the Queen Mother (guaranteed to break any mailman's back if ordered in hard copy) to Katie Nicholll's "Making of a Royal Romance" to Robert Hardman's works focused on the Queen to Sally Bedell Smith's biographies on just about all of them. its the content that defines them.

You’re absolutely right, Shawcross’ biography famously was only allowed to be published after TQM had passed. The creation of this book was given an official announcement by The Queen that Shawcross was given full access to TQMs personal papers. But still that was a biography of her life, it was “a day in the life” all access.

Katie N’s book was created out of “ a wealth of contacts close to William and Catherine Middleton”, Robert Hardman and Sally Bedell Smith all had some access to some things, but not all access to everything.

Which by no means I’m implying this book has, but from what I’ve read about it I do believe these two journos have been given access to a lot more than we’ve seen before.

So would that be this Jobsons' book? The blurb says that Clarence House cooperated with the book, I haven't read it but what was leaked via the Daily Mail seems like there's nothing new in this book and it draws a lot from Jobsons days in the royal household and his connections.

That's certainly not what this book is being touted as.

Yes Angela Levin was given access to Henry, to produce a book but as it's Henry doing it again this time it just shows a pattern of behaviour by an individual as opposed to this being something the royal family do frequently. They don't in my opinion.

I disagree that there are "plenty more over the years" where two journalists have been given, what I see as an access all areas pass to two individuals and their engagements. As I said previously this book seems to write about Meghan and Henry from Day A to Day Z and that's definitely something that hasn't happened before.

I knew Omid Scobie was at the engagements, as it had been quite clear at that point he was "the chosen mouthpiece" to me, but he was there to report on the engagement for Harpers. As for Carolyn, I wasn't aware she was at any engagements, how have you come about that information?

Lastly, if this book is not explosive, if it's completely 100% authorised by all royal households, why has it only come to light now? It was originally due to be out in 2 months, and unlike Ista I can't find it on Amazon or any website to purchase, for that matter.

I haven't read either books so I have no idea if there is a comparison. You going by a description per The Daily Mail. I prefer to wait to actually read it instead of their usual misleading things to rile folk up. I have yet to see anything to show this is anything other than a usual unauthorized biography where they have had some access (direct and engagements?). I can list a dozen royal books by correspondents.

As for Caroyln being at her engagements? She wrote about it.

https://www.elle.com/culture/celebr...-solo-event-robert-clack-school-visit-details

I only learned about this book because of The Daily Mail. So...

Last edited:
What about Prince Charles's cooperation on an official biography with Jonathon Dimbleby? That one included a (notorious) TV interview as part of the promotion.
Also Penny Junor was said to have been given access to both Charles and Camilla when she wrote her first dual biography of them.

Thoroughly Modern Royals:The Real World of Harry and Meghan.

I haven't read either books so I have no idea if there is a comparison. You going by a description her The Daily Mail. I prefer to wait to actually read it instead of their usual misleading things to rile folk up. I have yet to see anything to show this is anything other than a usual unauthorized biography where they have had some access (direct and engagements?). I can list a dozen royal books by correspondents.

As I’ve said previously, I am unaware of any unauthorised biography that was given access to engagements. The example of Jobson mentioned by yourself, doesn’t confirm there was any direct access other than consent from Clarence on working together. In the case of Levin, her book was authorise by Prince Henry, so we at least know he has a history of this “day in the life stuff”.

When discussing a topic, to mention it’s the same as everything else out there, it might be beneficial to have something to back that up.

I quoted The Times, not the daily mail in regards to the access this book has reportedly had and I would be able to read more if the article was not hidden behind a paywall.

Last edited:
Don't be so disappointed. Making such a book was surely something thought abvout for a long, long time.It's not done hush-hush, it needs careful preparation, research, interviews (if that is true) with M&H, finding a publisher, writing, editing, printing, making pre-sale PR - it surely is just one of those "How do we met"-books which we could have waited for since their wedding. I'm sure similar books appeared after the Cambridge-wedding as well. Only because H&M know this author, doesn't mean they'd do a "Princess Di"-thing. Especially as it is not very realistic to think that Harry would do such a thing as long as his grandmother is still alive and his father "only" the heir. With a project like that, he must have known that there is always the risk to publich the book during people's mourning of their beloved queen - and I don't think Harry is so cold-hearted to want that, putting any kind of controversy at the beginning of his father's rule!

What the Mail wishes the book would be anbout is a different piece - don't liosten to them when it comes to H&M. Even if they know a bit, they'd turn everything into negative publicity.:flowers::flowers:

:previous:The voice of reason...

As I’ve said previously, I am unaware of any unauthorised biography that was given access to engagements. The example of Jobson mentioned by yourself, doesn’t confirm there was any direct access other than consent from Clarence on working together. In the case of Levin, her book was authorise by Prince Henry, so we at least know he has a history of this “day in the life stuff”.

When discussing a topic, to mention it’s the same as everything else out there, it might be beneficial to have something to back that up.

I quoted The Times, not the daily mail in regards to the access this book has reportedly had and I would be able to read more if the article was not hidden behind a paywall.

Omid and Carolyn were covering engagements like most royal correspondents do. Not like they were the *only*ones there. So it was hardly private or that exclusive except maybe her final one which had selective press. Kind of like how many of the royal beat press who have books on these royals were at many of their engagements. What is the difference?

It would seem since the story broke that sections of the media are poking around.

She claims to also have the same info the Times posted stating no interviews nor either of the authors saying they had any. So where did that even come from?

Also Jobson? He has spoken himself about his close interactions with Prince Charles when speaking of his book. Heck I would say he doesn't let one forget it.

What about Prince Charles's cooperation on an official biography with Jonathon Dimbleby? That one included a (notorious) TV interview as part of the promotion.
Also Penny Junor was said to have been given access to both Charles and Camilla when she wrote her first dual biography of them.

There's a world between giving access to a journalist and let one of your BFFs (apparently the status of that Scoubie whatever his name is) writing a book about you.
Smells hagiography big time.
But again it's maybe the intended goal, and for sure there's a public for it.

Oh well, just wait and see ...

Last edited:
How is Scobie the BFF of Meghan? Just because he is not overly nasty about her like some other members of the press doesn't make him her bestie. It seems that people have issue that he didn't go out his way to attack her. Honestly, he doesn't do that with any of the royals. He is positive about all the royals. Yet being that way about Meghan seems to ruffle feathers. I wonder why?

How is Scobie the BFF of Meghan? Just because he is not overly nasty about her like some other members of the press doesn't make him her bestie. It seems that people have issue that he didn't go out his way to attack her. Honestly, he doesn't do that with any of the royals. He is positive about all the royals. Yet being that way about Meghan seems to ruffle feathers. I wonder why?

Well i've just been told he's the ex of Meghan's friend Markus Anderson. So he seems a bit closer to the couple than the average journalist.

I only read one or two of his reports about the couple to be frank . A quick search on twitter seems to indicate that he's not universally loved, to say the least ...

Carolyn Durand is co author of the forthcoming book and she is not a close personal friend of Meghan's, nor would I say that Omid Scobie is. Like Carolyn he is positive about all members of the Royal Family. Omid is neither beloved nor hated on Twitter, just like most journalists.

Does being negative and critical of Meghan, as other journalists have consistently been, make everything fair and balanced then?

Some of these journalists act like they are BFF with the royals.

I strongly doubt it's a hit piece. One the Sussexes are getting support from Charles. Two, there's an active lawsuit. Anything negative in the book could be used at trial. Three neither Scobie or Durand have revealed details of the book. All I see is guess work from the tabloids that people are going to get dragged and the Mail practically branded Scobie as a low rent reporter. I think the reporting is based on bitterness that the usual suspects didn't get the interview and reinforces the Sussexes' stance they will not work with press that have maligned them. The other person that may be bitter is Samantha. Sam has been trying to get a book on Meghan for three years and so far no legitimate publisher will go near her. The best Sam could do is tabloid money, which is probably chump change.

Well i've just been told he's the ex of Meghan's friend Markus Anderson. So he seems a bit closer to the couple than the average journalist.

I only read one or two of his reports about the couple to be frank . A quick search on twitter seems to indicate that he's not universally loved, to say the least ...

Where did you see it verified he is the ex of her friend? I have not seen that except from a certain group of people who also claim that Doria is a drug addict ex con. We shouldn't spread gossip..

No reporter is and why should they be? They all have a job to do.

Last edited:
That allegation about Omid and Markus began on anti-Meghan sites on Tumblr and spread from there.

Where did you see it verified he is the ex of her friend? I have not seen that except from a certain group of people who also claim that Doria is a drug addict ex con. We shouldn't spread gossip..

No reporter is and why should they be? They all have a job to do.

Well it's on twitter and a member here just sent me this piece of information.
But you're absolutely right , i honestly didn't know it was, according to your expertise, a mere gossip. So my bad and i do apologize.
But in the same search i clearly see that this Mr Scoobie is definitely a controversial figure, with not so nice adjectives attached to him...

Well, as i said, wait and see ...

Last edited:
He may well be controversial in certain circles (some Twitter and Tumblr sites) because he doesn't sing from the same hymn sheet as other Royal Reporters regarding Meghan.

Omid Scobie is pro-Sussex but giving a reporter or biographer who tends to be favorably disposed to a royal special access is hardly unprecedented. Penny Junor is well known for her favorable / apologist reporting of Camilla and Charles over the years and IIRC she was given access for the biography she penned on Camilla published in 2017.

There's a world between giving access to a journalist and let one of your BFFs (apparently the status of that Scoubie whatever his name is) writing a book about you.
Smells hagiography big time.
But again it's maybe the intended goal, and for sure there's a public for it.

Oh well, just wait and see ...

Yup. In the case of Jobson’s book, he had access to Charles and made his own evaluations. I didn’t exactly read the book from cover to cover, but I sat in the bookstore and read large sections of it; it’s a very fair account I’d that particular year. It’s no biography, but there are segments about Charles and his relationships (William and Harry, I especially remember). I would certainly say that Jobson likes Charles and thinks he’s a good man, but in no way did he fans over him. Whatever the H and M book is about, I’m expecting it to be all sunshine and unicorns for the Sussexes.

ACO:

I don’t want him to attack her or any member of the BRF, just be fair. I don’t dislike him, and I think it’s true that he likes the Royals - I think he’s generally fair and positive about them. I probably agreed with him much of the time when I supported Meghan (and Harry), but I’ve become so disenchanted with both H and M that I just can’t agree with anything Scobie says about them

Last edited:
Part of me is are we sure this is for real? Just because the Daily Mail says so doesn't make it true? Any self published author can create an account with a title and announce an up and coming book. If its true, I expect we should here from Harry and Meghan shortly, they don't know how to say no comment and move on. They will confirm within 48 hours. They also need better friends/security...they have leaks like all the time.

If this is true, sadly, nothing would surprise me about this couple. I will wait to see if its their truth or the total truth but I know this for a fact......you can't claim you want privacy and than do all kinds of things that that show you really don't want privacy. Go away! Make people miss you. But I imagine if this book is really coming out, its all about setting the record straight from their point of view and that's too bad. People are going to believe what they want to believe.

I just don't see this being a good idea.

Nothing surprises me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom