The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library
Click Here to Login

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-25-2020, 11:23 PM
Heir Apparent

I unfollowed their IG. I am sure many have. They no longer using it. Also this book has clearly been in the works for a while. A tabloid leaking it is not them announcing anything. That is a tabloid being a tabloid. They requested comments and were ignored. It comes out in August. Why are people acting like they control a publisher? Yall giving these folks way too much power. This date was probably in the calendar for a while.

Old 04-25-2020, 11:40 PM
Majesty

Harry and Meghan have given two interviews to writers of a new biography to be published in August. They haven't announced the publication of the book themselves. Nor have they stated that they intend to write a tell all volume themselves about their lives as royals, or that there is going to be a tell all interview with Oprah or Gail King denouncing the BRF, as the tabloids breathlessly announced there undoubtedly would be a few months ago.

Their lawsuit against a newspaper group began a few days ago and coincided with an announcement that they wanted nothing to do with Britain's main tabloids. And I say, good for them.

Apart from that the Sussexes haven't said anything or done anything in recent weeks except move over to LA, deliver food to ill people in West Hollywood and send an email to the family of a dead girl in connection with WellChild.

IMO everyone should just calm down until this book is published and we can see what is actually there in black and white before there are pronouncements of doom about this couple's actions.

Old 04-26-2020, 02:29 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rominet09 View Post
I think I was their number one fan but now…. I can't understand.
They said they wanted a private normal life….
I noticed that their Instagram page had lost in a few days 100 K followers.
I am so dissapointed. Especially in these terrible times where people are afraid for their life, their jobs et…. Utterly sad but… they are old enough to take their own décisions. I fear the price will be heavy.

Don't be so disappointed. Making such a book was surely something thought abvout for a long, long time.It's not done hush-hush, it needs careful preparation, research, interviews (if that is true) with M&H, finding a publisher, writing, editing, printing, making pre-sale PR - it surely is just one of those "How do we met"-books which we could have waited for since their wedding. I'm sure similar books appeared after the Cambridge-wedding as well. Only because H&M know this author, doesn't mean they'd do a "Princess Di"-thing. Especially as it is not very realistic to think that Harry would do such a thing as long as his grandmother is still alive and his father "only" the heir. With a project like that, he must have known that there is always the risk to publich the book during people's mourning of their beloved queen - and I don't think Harry is so cold-hearted to want that, putting any kind of controversy at the beginning of his father's rule!

What the Mail wishes the book would be anbout is a different piece - don't liosten to them when it comes to H&M. Even if they know a bit, they'd turn everything into negative publicity.
Old 04-26-2020, 03:03 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

In case of a book where H&M will - directly or indirectly - badmouth the RF (and that already means spilling some details about them) the one year hiatus will certainly be cut short to become permanent.
Old 04-26-2020, 04:29 AM
Courtier

Don't know if this is a good idea, a bad idea, but its their choice.
To be published after Meghan's 39th birthday.
Old 04-26-2020, 04:42 AM
Administrator

Please note that the rules and directions posted at the beginning of the General News thread apply equally to this thread as well. Thank you.
Old 04-26-2020, 09:10 AM
Nobility

Someone who seeks privacy does not write an autobiography, two seconds after they were involved in an high drama personal situation that left them looking like two selfish petulant children than gown up adults, nor give interviews for one. They just go back to the shadows and do their thing, let their actions speak.

Do we really need to know the details of their courtship? If that is in the book, that seems like too of a private information to share.
And it will likely create more questions than answers.

As for the “only two interview”; these could have been two, hours long, sit downs.

Scobie is not an unbiased writer (I hesitant to call him journalist) by any stretch of the imagination. He is very pro Megahn, to the point his articles feel more like PR write ups than an unbiased point of view.

I fail to see how this will help their reputation, outside of their crazy stan groupies who will not stop to question anything in the book.
They should have denied giving the interview to the book. Plain and simple, let the authors write what they want but don’t cooperate if you want a private life.
Old 04-26-2020, 09:39 AM
Nobility

I really, really don't like the idea of this book, and for many reasons. I'm also very torn - because while I would really love to hear H&M's side of the story I also know that we won't get the BRF side, because they won't lower themselves to talking about the, for the lack of better word, the Sussexes fiasco.

But I wouldn't actually blame them for this - for all we know at this point the book was already in works and it would be published with or without their cooperation. Their decision to cooperate with the authors isn't surprising to me at all - they want to have control of their image, so making sure this book shines a very positive light on them by giving access to themselves and certain information is one of the crucial steps.

That said, Omid Scobie being the author will make this book that could be otherwise interesting a worthless read. It takes one look at his twitter to notice that he does not have an impartial bone in his body - which might be imperative to keep a working relationship with the Sussexes, or at least it looks like that.

But there's also one more aspect of this - the timing. I would love it if H&M (if they even want to) waited a bit with a book like that. And by that I don't mean they have any sort of control over this one, but they definitely have control over cooperating with the authors. Let the dust settle, even a little. Every single passage, quote and story from this book will be dissected by the tabloids... is this really what they want?
Old 04-26-2020, 09:44 AM
Courtier

My first post might have been making a lot of assumptions and jumping to the more extreme conclusions. We really don't know what's going to be in the book.

I was honestly shocked because it did have me thinking about very public dirty feuds of the past (via books, newspapers and interviews) and how that didn't help anyone or the institution of the monarchy.

It also goes against much of what they have been publicly complaining about in the last few days - their privacy. They may wish to give their version of events and to "set the record straight" but that isn't going to stop the gossip, it will only increase it and play into the narrative that the last thing they want is everyone to stop talking, they just *extremely futilely* want to control their press like A list superstars try and do. Also it's inevitably going to cast shadow on family members still working for the Firm and who can't respond to any allegations made.

It was inevitable that there were going to be books about this but they should have just let them be written and used their actions from April 1st on out speak for themselves, not enlisted their favourites to help.

And the timing of this is also really poor.
Old 04-26-2020, 09:59 AM
Heir Apparent

If the book is being released in August then this was in production for a while. Long before they left the family. I would bet likely began mid last year. We also have no ideas how they contributed. It could be based on their work. It could be more personal quotes. We have no idea.

As for impartial with Omid and Durand... how is that any different than Rob Jobson and his bio on Charles. He is very pro The Prince of Wales. He was allowed access. Many of the royals have contributed to things written about them. This isn’t new with Harry and Meghan.

This pandemic is awful but things were in motion before it hit us all. Maybe it is being delayed. They didn’t announce it. People went digging for this.
Old 04-26-2020, 10:04 AM
Serene Highness

Expected really - the dates are really the only thing that concerns me. The book should have been published June 2019. Did I get that right?

The royal reporters picked up on this a while ago - they knew something was coming for Meghan and Harry beside the birth of the baby. And many through it was a book or/and tie in documentary. I always through the Gayle King interview introducing Archie was to do it. But something derailed their plans until the end of the year. Yes, please take this with a pinch of hearsay.
We will just have to see what it in the book - when and if it is eventually released. It might really be nothing new. It is however not the actions of people starving for privacy.
I have digest a number of royal media over the last month of lockdown - and I just don't know how they - the press and the royal family (everyone) have not learned from their previous mistakes with the relationship with each other.
Old 04-26-2020, 10:56 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Expected really - the dates are really the only thing that concerns me. The book should have been published June 2019. Did I get that right?

From my reading of the article, it was due to be published in June 2020 but has been pushed back to August. They assume it’s because of the pandemic.
Old 04-26-2020, 10:58 AM
Majesty

Well I will be interested to read a biography about H&M. Omid Scobie is as biased as any other royal writer. In point of fact, I would be hard pressed to name a single royal biographer who was not.

Since I know nothing other than there is a biography to be published I will leave the experts to their high dudgeon and self righteous indignation and wait until I have read it to praise or revile.
Old 04-26-2020, 11:04 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
OK. If this is really happening with this book, I have to question the motives of both Harry and Meghan in doing this. With the relationship between the couple and so many people including Harry's family, the people of the UK, and even some of us avid royal watchers here, to rehash it all out in lurid detail from their point of view isn't going to do them any favors and win them any brownie points with anyone. Whatever has happened in the past belongs relegated to the ancient history file in the dusty recesses somewhere and not brought out to air again as dirty laundry hanging on a clothesline.

It does reek of self promotion and self glorification and even the has the premise that this couple is as well loved and well followed and well respected as they were before their exodus to a private life occurred. It'll sell like hotcakes though just because of all the drama, the troubles and woes sure to be bleated ad nauseum on every subject mentioned and will definitely be a point of view by the authors to paint a negative picture of everyone *but* Harry and Meghan, the "Wonder Couple That Is Going To Save The World".

Bad idea in my book. Very bad idea.

I'll also add that most likely, sometime down the line, I will get and read this book because I'm addicted to books and have a very cheap supplier. To be honest, I'm expecting it to be classified in the future much like "Diana: Her True Story" by Andrew Morton was. Of course I already have that one. Somewhere....
Holy moley coming from you......but I sure agree.

If true—-Their willingness to participate (no matter how small) speaks volumes. Best seller, guarantee to keep themselves on the front page. Oh boy, just think of all the parsing to come...
Old 04-26-2020, 01:12 PM
Heir Apparent

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...new-biography/

I guess we shall see what is truth. According to this the other royal households have been aware of the book for months. It is not an official biography and the Sussexes did no interviews (unlike what the Daily Fail claims). So time will tell when it is released.

If true than it is no different than the other 3543546540 royal books out there.
Old 04-26-2020, 01:32 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
If true than it is no different than the other 3543546540 royal books out there.

So The Times is behind a paywall, which is unfortunate when trying to provide a balanced argument on a forum like this. From what I can read of it, this line intrigued me “with its writers being given access to the Duchess's engagements on a small number of occasions....”

That alone makes it different to the xyz number of books out their because I’m not aware of any book (correct me if I’m wrong) that has been allowed to do something like this.

The Daily Mail article does tout this as a “their story” book, and if the title is to be believed it’s an access all areas pass.

If a book of this kind was approved pre separation, I can’t wait to read about the day in the life of Catherine and William.
Old 04-26-2020, 01:46 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
So The Times is behind a paywall, which is unfortunate when trying to provide a balanced argument on a forum like this. From what I can read of it, this line intrigued me “with its writers being given access to the Duchess's engagements on a small number of occasions....”

That alone makes it different to the xyz number of books out their because I’m not aware of any book (correct me if I’m wrong) that has been allowed to do something like this.

The Daily Mail article does tout this as a “their story” book, and if the title is to be believed it’s an access all areas pass.

If a book of this kind was approved pre separation, I can’t wait to read about the day in the life of Catherine and William.
There's a biog of Charles, where I believe the author did have access to him at some engagements.
Old 04-26-2020, 01:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

Wasn't that Scobie something outed some days ago as the Sussexes unofficial spokesman ?
Sounds like an Andrew Morton 2.0.
How original ...

Old 04-26-2020, 01:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
There's a biog of Charles, where I believe the author did have access to him at some engagements.
Jobson, correct. Also Angela Levine to this day is milking her book about Harry where she was granted access to him. I am sure there are plenty more over the years, so yes it happens.

We already know both authors were at her final solo engagements.
Old 04-26-2020, 02:34 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Quote:
Jobson, correct. Also Angela Levine to this day is milking her book about Harry where she was granted access to him. I am sure there are plenty more over the years, so yes it happens.
So would that be this Jobsons' book? The blurb says that Clarence House cooperated with the book, I haven't read it but what was leaked via the Daily Mail seems like there's nothing new in this book and it draws a lot from Jobsons days in the royal household and his connections.

That's certainly not what this book is being touted as.

Yes Angela Levin was given access to Henry, to produce a book but as it's Henry doing it again this time it just shows a pattern of behaviour by an individual as opposed to this being something the royal family do frequently. They don't in my opinion.

I disagree that there are "plenty more over the years" where two journalists have been given, what I see as an access all areas pass to two individuals and their engagements. As I said previously this book seems to write about Meghan and Henry from Day A to Day Z and that's definitely something that hasn't happened before.

Quote:
We already know both authors were at her final solo engagements.
I knew Omid Scobie was at the engagements, as it had been quite clear at that point he was "the chosen mouthpiece" to me, but he was there to report on the engagement for Harpers. As for Carolyn, I wasn't aware she was at any engagements, how have you come about that information?

Lastly, if this book is not explosive, if it's completely 100% authorised by all royal households, why has it only come to light now? It was originally due to be out in 2 months, and unlike Ista I can't find it on Amazon or any website to purchase, for that matter.