The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library
Click Here to Login

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #281  
Old 07-24-2020, 11:30 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
And? Not sure what difference that makes. Point being they don't or wouldn't expect anyone to do it.



LaRae
If you marry into a royal family, there are expectations. If you dont want to fulfil those expectations, then dont marry into that RF
__________________

  #282  
Old 07-24-2020, 11:39 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Woodbury, United States
Posts: 2,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
Yes, Harry has shown himself to be very brazen and thoughtless with his comments so I can imagine there is worry.

He's done it many times in the past. For example, snarking about how his family had him walk behind the coffin. Or complaining that William didn't make time for him at Eton. Or his comments that no one in the BRF wants to be monarch, which was an inflammatory statement to put in the mouths of Charles, William and George that could of upset the public and made them think the whiners are taking their position for granted. Or Harry's comment against the Markles "the family she never had", which became a big catalyst for her feud with her family. Or his recent comments to fake Greta, arranging a faux marriage for George and James Wessex.

So one wonders what his next verbal dagger will be - "William hates the UK as much as me!" "My dad made my mom miserable and now he makes me miserable!" "I don't think we have the real answers as to what happened in that Paris tunnel!" " My brother's kids will be jealous of Archie and his life in America!" and so on...

Given his past misguided comments, the BRF would be foolish to presume he'll show sound judgement.

Though if Omid and Durand are really the Sussex supporters they have portrayed themselves to be, they may edit out comments that Harry made to them that they know will be self-destructive to him in the long run. But that kind of helpful edit is asking a lot of a writer even if they consider Harry a friend.
The comment about the BRF being the family Meghan never had is ironic since they have both completely disrespected them for many months now....and have moved to be near her mother, who seems to be family enough for Meghan.

I know Harry said some of those things, but not all. He said that about William? Coming from someone who dressed as a Nazi for Halloween, I shouldn’t be surprised. What’s this about a faux wedding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Your opinion is not necessarily inconsistent with mine. I think they were sincere and were willing to give it a try, but Meghan in particular assumed all along that, if she didn't like it or adapt to it, she could just walk away and take Harry and possible children with her.
Considering they gave it less than two years, and that they must have started planning this whole thing well before they departed the UK, I can’t think that they were overly sincere about giving it a shot, especially Meghan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
It wasn't a Nazi uniform, it was the uniform of the Afrika corps...
As for Meghan, I think it must have been hurtful for her mother to hear that Harry was saying that Meghan had no family.. when she has it seems been a loyal and loving mother to her. And it was kind of ironic that within a fairly short time, it was clear that the RF were no longer considered best buddies by the Sussexes...
I know what a Swastika looks like...
__________________

  #283  
Old 07-24-2020, 11:43 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,461
It wasn't a Nazi uniform, it was the uniform of the Afrika corps...
As for Meghan, I think it must have been hurtful for her mother to hear that Harry was saying that Meghan had no family.. when she has it seems been a loyal and loving mother to her. And it was kind of ironic that within a fairly short time, it was clear that the RF were no longer considered best buddies by the Sussexes...
  #284  
Old 07-24-2020, 12:22 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Midlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyflo View Post
As a British person, I can assure you that there are many people here who wouldn't put the institution of monarchy above their own happiness (including some British people who have been born into it or have married into it). I don't think it's necessarily an American v British thing at all but rather a desire to avoid being crushed, not just by the intense personal scrutiny of self and family but by the weight of living with false stories constantly being published without being able to challenge most of them.
Well yes & no. I do think Mbruno has a point here. There are big differences between British & US cultures. There are still an awful lot of old fashioned monarchists whose mind set would be entirely alien to anyone from the US. Pretty foreign to a lot of Britons as well of course, we're not exactly homogeneous.
  #285  
Old 07-24-2020, 12:30 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
Well yes & no. I do think Mbruno has a point here. There are big differences between British & US cultures. There are still an awful lot of old fashioned monarchists whose mind set would be entirely alien to anyone from the US. Pretty foreign to a lot of Britons as well of course, we're not exactly homogeneous.
I think there is a difference between the US culture of someone of Meg's generation and the state she lived in as a kid.. and that of older Americans.. or UK people of a certain age who would be a lot more formal and duty bound. If Meg did not want to have the Press chasing her and publishing unfair stories, if she didn't want to put up with certain restrictions in what she could do because she was a member of the RF.. then - either dont marry into the RF or if you do, do so on te understanding that you and your husband aren't working royals. Give up the titles, buy your own house and lead a life that is separate from the RF...

Harry says that he told her what royal life would be like.. but one of the big factors in it is the tabloid press which is either gushng and over praising of some royals..or hyper critical and frequently harsh and unfair. Meghan said that she "thought the press would be fair" and if H had had honest conversations with her, I can't believe that he didn't tell her "the tabloid press is horrible, intrusive, unfair and just the worst"....
The RF are certainly not fans of the Press and just about tolerate them.. and H himself knows how horrible they can be...
So - did H tell her and she didn't listen or didn't understand? Did Harry NOT tell her and she was shocked and could not cope? I dont know.
  #286  
Old 07-24-2020, 12:41 PM
Madame Verseau's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Louisville, United States
Posts: 1,784
That DM article is a joke, no surprise. They're guessing at what is in the book. Bringing up Thomas Markle gave away the game. Claiming suspicious timing for the book to come out while the lawsuit against is going shows fear that information in the book will damage their "star witness" and their case.
  #287  
Old 07-24-2020, 01:46 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Woodbury, United States
Posts: 2,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
Well yes & no. I do think Mbruno has a point here. There are big differences between British & US cultures. There are still an awful lot of old fashioned monarchists whose mind set would be entirely alien to anyone from the US. Pretty foreign to a lot of Britons as well of course, we're not exactly homogeneous.
Even if this is true (I mean, I know it is as an American), Meghan chose to get involved with Harry........and not just get involved, but seriously, with not just a Royal but a Royal (ok, "only" 6th in line") who is very close to the throne (his papa will be King) and who was expected to be a working Royal for a very long time. I just don't feel real sympathy for her; I have no doubt she knew that her existence as she knew it would be over. I don't believe she went into this with her eyes shut.
  #288  
Old 07-24-2020, 01:54 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
Even if this is true (I mean, I know it is as an American), Meghan chose to get involved with Harry........and not just get involved, but seriously, with not just a Royal but a Royal (ok, "only" 6th in line") who is very close to the throne (his papa will be King) and who was expected to be a working Royal for a very long time. I just don't feel real sympathy for her; I have no doubt she knew that her existence as she knew it would be over. I don't believe she went into this with her eyes shut.
Im sure she didn't.. unless Harry didn't really explain things to her.. Or he did but she didn't want to hear the negative side of the Royal life.. I suspect that insofar as she wanted to be married to a Senior working royal.. she DID close her ears to anything that was said on the negative side. I think she didn't realise that the life's not all wearing a tiara on a red carpet, living in a castle etc. I don't think she DID understand how vicious the press can be..and thought that the press all praise the RF...
But I think in any case she always regarded it as a stepping stone. she possibly always thought that she could come out of it when she chose and be part time when she chose.
And when she and H were a few months into marriage, she was getting critical press, she was finding that she wasn't living in a big castle but an ordinary country house.. that the RF's amusements were mainly horsey and rural and far from glamourous... and that the duty jobs were often dull, I feel that she just felt she couldn't' stand it..and that they had to make their move and get out...
  #289  
Old 07-24-2020, 02:13 PM
Lilyflo's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
Well yes & no. I do think Mbruno has a point here. There are big differences between British & US cultures. There are still an awful lot of old fashioned monarchists whose mind set would be entirely alien to anyone from the US. Pretty foreign to a lot of Britons as well of course, we're not exactly homogeneous.
I didn't say there aren't big differences between British & US cultures. I didn't say that the old fashioned monarchists wouldn't be entirely alien to anyone from the US. I didn't say that we're exactly homogeneous. I was answering a very specific point, which I contend still stands.
  #290  
Old 07-24-2020, 02:14 PM
Claire's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,587
Little bit of a confession, this accusation is what really has pissed the palace off as they really seems to have prepared her. Okay from what I gather there is a kinds three part training from royal brides and yes _ girls-friends/ boyfriends. All royal spouses seems to have done it. It is given and spoken through with them. It sees it involves everything from protocol training, to royal manners and traditions. And yes , involves their family and close friends. Things are explained to them. However palace officials can’t be blamed when the royal don’t listen the the advice. I have had someone yell plainly at me that things would have been different if Meghan had simply listened to advice. She knew better and she was wrong. And then she expected the palace to do damage cover. Ok , this is where you need to pay attention. The BRF have only once employed a fixer and that was to rehabilitate the reputation of Charles and Camilla after the death of Diana. They don’t have one on staff, or running the PR office, which I was surprise to learn is common practice for celebrities in the US. Did Meghan know that ?

When is extracts of the book release , which newspaper?
  #291  
Old 07-24-2020, 02:17 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Middlewich, United Kingdom
Posts: 21,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Little bit of a confession, this accusation is what really has pissed the palace off as they really seems to have prepared her.

Who said this exactly?
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
  #292  
Old 07-24-2020, 02:33 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 7,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Im sure she didn't.. unless Harry didn't really explain things to her.. Or he did but she didn't want to hear the negative side of the Royal life.. I suspect that insofar as she wanted to be married to a Senior working royal.. she DID close her ears to anything that was said on the negative side. I think she didn't realise that the life's not all wearing a tiara on a red carpet, living in a castle etc. I don't think she DID understand how vicious the press can be..and thought that the press all praise the RF...
But I think in any case she always regarded it as a stepping stone. she possibly always thought that she could come out of it when she chose and be part time when she chose.
And when she and H were a few months into marriage, she was getting critical press, she was finding that she wasn't living in a big castle but an ordinary country house.. that the RF's amusements were mainly horsey and rural and far from glamourous... and that the duty jobs were often dull, I feel that she just felt she couldn't' stand it..and that they had to make their move and get out...
Well, I suspect “ the ordinary country house” was already an improvement over the place where she lived when she was in Canada shooting Suits. And Harry originally shared Kensington Palace, which is a big house, with other royals. He chose to move to Frogmore cottage precisely to have more room for his family and have his own house, which is understandable.

Comparing to the situation Harry is in now, he and his family have been without a home of their own for over 6 months , moving from country to country and now living in a stranger’s house, reportedly thanks to his “ generosity”. I couldn’t think of a more demeaning situation, especially for a prince of the United Kingdom.
  #293  
Old 07-24-2020, 02:37 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Midlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyflo View Post
I didn't say there aren't big differences between British & US cultures. I didn't say that the old fashioned monarchists wouldn't be entirely alien to anyone from the US. I didn't say that we're exactly homogeneous. I was answering a very specific point, which I contend still stands.
Yes I know you didn't say those things & to be fair I didn't say you did. I understood the point you were making & I was adding my perspective to the conversation. That's all.
  #294  
Old 07-24-2020, 03:43 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Woodbury, United States
Posts: 2,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Im sure she didn't.. unless Harry didn't really explain things to her.. Or he did but she didn't want to hear the negative side of the Royal life.. I suspect that insofar as she wanted to be married to a Senior working royal.. she DID close her ears to anything that was said on the negative side. I think she didn't realise that the life's not all wearing a tiara on a red carpet, living in a castle etc. I don't think she DID understand how vicious the press can be..and thought that the press all praise the RF...
But I think in any case she always regarded it as a stepping stone. she possibly always thought that she could come out of it when she chose and be part time when she chose.
And when she and H were a few months into marriage, she was getting critical press, she was finding that she wasn't living in a big castle but an ordinary country house.. that the RF's amusements were mainly horsey and rural and far from glamourous... and that the duty jobs were often dull, I feel that she just felt she couldn't' stand it..and that they had to make their move and get out...

I would not be surprised if Meghan didn’t care enough about the negative sides of Royal life, if she put her fingers in her ears and went “nah, nah, I can’t hear you”. Or, maybe she heard and she seriously underestimated (which I find hard to believe unless Harry was idiotic and didn’t emphasize strongly enough) how different her life would be. The fact that she’s been whining about no one in the BRF publicly defending her tells me either she knows nothing at all about the BRF or she thinks she’s special.
  #295  
Old 07-24-2020, 03:55 PM
Somebody's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Somewhere, Suriname
Posts: 6,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
I would not be surprised if Meghan didn’t care enough about the negative sides of Royal life, if she put her fingers in her ears and went “nah, nah, I can’t hear you”. Or, maybe she heard and she seriously underestimated (which I find hard to believe unless Harry was idiotic and didn’t emphasize strongly enough) how different her life would be. The fact that she’s been whining about no one in the BRF publicly defending her tells me either she knows nothing at all about the BRF or she thinks she’s special.
Didn't she explicitly state in her South Africa interview that her friends tried to warn her (about the tabloids) but that she didn't take it seriously.

Found the exact wording
"My friends were really happy because I was so happy but my British friends said to me 'I am sure he is great but you shouldn't do it 'cause the British tabloids will destroy your life' and I, very naively, I am an American we don't have that there, 'what are you talking about?, that doesn't make any sense, I am not in tabloids'. I didn't get it."
  #296  
Old 07-24-2020, 06:12 PM
Sun Lion's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,937
"Finding Freedom" is being seralised in the Times and the Sunday Times.

I thought this book might have been a bit of a lame duck - no offense intended to the authors - after the other recent publications, coming out last, being favourable to the Duke and Duchess etc.

But it sounds as though this may be the most explosive of them all.


A report, this time from the Sun, ahead of the seralisation this weekend.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/122187...ate-biography/


And a report in The Telegraph where the Duke and Duchess are distancing themselves from it.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-fa...nding-freedom/
  #297  
Old 07-24-2020, 06:33 PM
acdc1's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: somewhere in, United States
Posts: 2,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Lion View Post
"Finding Freedom" is being seralised in the Times and the Sunday Times.

I thought this book might have been a bit of a lame duck - no offense intended to the authors - after the other recent publications, coming out last, being favourable to the Duke and Duchess etc.

But it sounds as though this may be the most explosive of them all.


A report, this time from the Sun, ahead of the seralisation this weekend.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/122187...ate-biography/


And a report in The Telegraph where the Duke and Duchess are distancing themselves from it.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-fa...nding-freedom/
I’m a little confused as to whether this book is supposed to be flattering or unflattering toward the Sussexes. It’s been touted as something that will “get the story straight” so I was expecting reports about how they were mistreated or ignored by the RF and courtiers but these early reports are painting them more like spoiled children who didn’t get their way so threw a tantrum and quit.
  #298  
Old 07-24-2020, 06:34 PM
Sun Lion's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post

When is extracts of the book release , which newspaper?

The Times and The Sunday Times this weekend Claire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc1 View Post
I’m a little confused as to whether this book is supposed to be flattering or unflattering toward the Sussexes. It’s been touted as something that will “get the story straight” so I was expecting reports about how they were mistreated or ignored by the RF and courtiers but these early reports are painting them more like spoiled children who didn’t get their way so threw a tantrum and quit.

I agree acdc1.

It’s hard to see the Duke and Duchess looking good from this, from the quotes coming out today and yesterday. Quotes I take it from a person or people who have seen the book.

Perhaps the actual book will come across more sympathetically to the couple.

“Buckets of bitterness” is pretty strong language, but it’s not news anymore to learn that the couple felt they were victims of the Royal way of life as well as of the UK press.

“Finding Freedom” will dominate all Harry and Meghan news for the next several days as every media outlet will mine the rich vein it unleashes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Little bit of a confession, this accusation is what really has pissed the palace off as they really seems to have prepared her. Okay from what I gather there is a kinds three part training from royal brides and yes _ girls-friends/ boyfriends. All royal spouses seems to have done it. It is given and spoken through with them. It sees it involves everything from protocol training, to royal manners and traditions. And yes , involves their family and close friends. Things are explained to them. However palace officials can’t be blamed when the royal don’t listen the the advice. I have had someone yell plainly at me that things would have been different if Meghan had simply listened to advice. She knew better and she was wrong. And then she expected the palace to do damage cover. Ok , this is where you need to pay attention. The BRF have only once employed a fixer and that was to rehabilitate the reputation of Charles and Camilla after the death of Diana. They don’t have one on staff, or running the PR office, which I was surprise to learn is common practice for celebrities in the US. Did Meghan know that ?

You make some great points here Claire.

It wasn’t in anyone’s interest, especially the Royal Family’s, to have the new Duchess fail.

What had worked to get Meghan to where she now found herself, would not work to make her a success in her Royal role.

Two totally opposite ways of life.

Self-promotion as an individual - an actress in Hollywood reaching for stardom - vs self-abnegation within a hierarchy, and a life of service to a foreign nation.

Polar opposites, no wonder there were issues.
  #299  
Old 07-24-2020, 06:34 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 278
And of course, we all love the Daily Mails take on it

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art....html#comments
  #300  
Old 07-24-2020, 06:49 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 7,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katymcwaity View Post
And of course, we all love the Daily Mails take on it

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art....html#comments
The DM’s take on it seems to be contradictory at some points, but otherwise it looks credible.
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Popular Tags
abu dhabi america archie mountbatten-windsor asian baptism biography birth britain britannia british royal family brownbitcoinqueen buckingham palace camilla camilla parker-bowles camilla parker bowles china chinese ming dynasty asia asian emperor royalty qing colorblindness commonwealth countries countess of snowdon customs daisy doge of venice dresses duchess of sussex duke of cambridge duke of sussex edward vii family life family tree george vi gustaf vi adolf highgrove jack brooksbank jewellery king juan carlos king willem-alexander książ castle liechtenstein line of succession list of rulers luxembourg medical meghan markle monarchy mongolia nepal nepalese royal jewels plantinum jubilee prince charles of luxembourg prince constantijn prince harry princess ariane princess catharina-amalia princess chulabhorn walailak princess ribha queen consort queen maxima queen victoria royal ancestry spain speech sussex suthida swedish queen taiwan thailand tradition unfinished portrait united states of america wales


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:38 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×