The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library
Click Here to Login

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2020, 03:20 PM
Heir Apparent

As this related to Omid and H&M I'll post it here, he has said Harry talked to his BP team about changing the way they worked with the press and was told "if you want to do that you can pay for your own engagement"

Sorry but I really don't believe that. I can see someone saying that official duties have to be covered using the royal rota system but can't see someone saying "go and pay for your own" in a dismissive way. The more Omid speaks, if he tells the truth, teh more H&M look so thinned skinned.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...ss-summer.html

Speaking to The Cut, he revealed: 'In the summer of 2019, Harry actually had a conversation amongst his team and his senior aides within Buckingham Palace about restructuring that press system and making him and Meghan more accessible to a wider, more diverse media landscape.

'And the answer was well, "If you want to do that, you can pay for your own engagements".

'And so that was the first seed of, "Well, maybe we will break away, maybe we will do our own thing."'

Old 08-20-2020, 03:33 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
As this related to Omid and H&M I'll post it here, he has said Harry talked to his BP team about changing the way they worked with the press and was told "if you want to do that you can pay for your own engagement"

Sorry but I really don't believe that. I can see someone saying that official duties have to be covered using the royal rota system but can't see someone saying "go and pay for your own" in a dismissive way. The more Omid speaks, if he tells the truth, teh more H&M look so thinned skinned.

Speaking to The Cut, he revealed: 'In the summer of 2019, Harry actually had a conversation amongst his team and his senior aides within Buckingham Palace about restructuring that press system and making him and Meghan more accessible to a wider, more diverse media landscape.

'And the answer was well, "If you want to do that, you can pay for your own engagements".

'And so that was the first seed of, "Well, maybe we will break away, maybe we will do our own thing."'
If true, its interesting. So the prince who suffers from a media trauma asked for more media to be into the game? Funny. I thought he wanted less in.
A wider, more diverse media, guess those sort of paps who shoot celebs the us style, guess whose idea that was
I agree, the more he writes, talks or tweets the worse it looks for the couple.

Old 08-20-2020, 03:47 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
while I was never convinced that Megha was really suitable to be a Working Royal duchess, I think that the real sign of their "moving out" of royal life was when they started with the fuss about showing Archie. It seems to me now with hindsight that they were planning an escape then if not sooner...But at the time, I felt it was a clear sign that things were not going well, and that they were in effect acting like celebrities rather than royals.. and that they seemed to be willfully determined to annoy the press.. which was stupid.. The press were already on bad terms with them and their behaviour then just alienated them still more.
IMO, they she wanted to be paid by US tabloids for the first pictures of Archie like most celebrities do. That is why all the secrecy around the birth etc. They wanted to be able to control the UK press so that their photos and related information would fetch a much higher price in the US. The "men in grey" put a kibosh to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen.CH View Post
If true, its interesting. So the prince who suffers from a media trauma asked for more media to be into the game? Funny. I thought he wanted less in.
A wider, more diverse media, guess those sort of paps who shoot celebs the us style, guess whose idea that was
I agree, the more he writes, talks or tweets the worse it looks for the couple.
The "media trauma" is for media that does not fawn over them only.

It seems to be that they wanted to include US media into their coverage. I wonder why a former actress who was committed to her role in the BRF care about ensuring she was covered by non-UK media?
Old 08-20-2020, 04:15 PM
Royal Highness

Haven't there been other articles saying they wanted to use more US publications as well as British? And complaints that announcements were timed to be convenient for the US? That would fit. And wouldn't please the BP communications staff because why do they need to court the US press when they're carrying out royal duties in the UK, tours of the commonwealth and tours on behalf of the FCO to secure British interests? But would fit with their nascent plans to make money in the US as well as do the pick n mix working royal jobs they chose. It's one thing for actors/musicians or business people to decide there's more money across the pond, it's another if senior royals in the BRF have care more about the US "market" than the British one.

Non traditional media would include SM and things like Zoom, which were already used by the BRF before and even more so now so I don't see why it would be so controversial.
Old 08-20-2020, 04:33 PM
Aristocracy

I was concerned about their wish for a more diverse media pool from the moment that I read that Gayle King was present for a first interview after Archie's birth .
Old 08-21-2020, 04:04 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
Haven't there been other articles saying they wanted to use more US publications as well as British? And complaints that announcements were timed to be convenient for the US? That would fit. And wouldn't please the BP communications staff because why do they need to court the US press when they're carrying out royal duties in the UK, tours of the commonwealth and tours on behalf of the FCO to secure British interests? But would fit with their nascent plans to make money in the US as well as do the pick n mix working royal jobs they chose. It's one thing for actors/musicians or business people to decide there's more money across the pond, it's another if senior royals in the BRF have care more about the US "market" than the British one.

Non traditional media would include SM and things like Zoom, which were already used by the BRF before and even more so now so I don't see why it would be so controversial.
I don't know,
but if I wonder if the court did then not realise their real interests at a very early stage, but maybe the court did. really weird to include the us press, even if she had been of any importance then in the us, her work&future was then meant to be the UK.
seems as if she thought she could be he " queen of usa" somehow.
I mean some to feel attached to some royal married in because of his/hef origin, like Sonja and Heidelberg or Maxima and argentina, but then it's the people and nit the royal who supports it.
wait& see how crazy this gets now, I mean they had Reagan as president, Kayne West trying, why no a runaway insane ex-actress
Old 08-21-2020, 05:09 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post
IMO, they she wanted to be paid by US tabloids for the first pictures of Archie like most celebrities do. That is why all the secrecy around the birth etc. They wanted to be able to control the UK press so that their photos and related information would fetch a much higher price in the US. The "men in grey" put a kibosh to that.
I generally would agree with you, but I can't honestly beleve this. Meghan [...] surely she realizes that asking to be paid for pictures of the baby is a no no? Fergie did an interview for Hello Mag when her children were babies and was paid for it, but there was such a fuss, that I'm sure it was clear to Harry that he and Meg could not do things like this?
I think they were doing a celeb thing in that they wanted to say to the Press that they weren't going to go the traditionally route of showing off the baby for a few mins when coming out of hospital.. I think they hoped the public would support them on this and they could show him off when they wanted to, on social media.. but it misfired. The public didn't mind really, but the press got more annoyed and hostile..

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post

I find it hard to believe too, but if He DID say "we want to make ourselves more accessible, in some way, and control who writes about us" perhaps exasperated aides DID say "If you want to do that sir, you'll have to set up your own private system and pay your own expenses"...
If Meghan was hoping to hand out her information to the American market and wanted to "keep up with her fans in the US", it looks odd. And while no royal likes the Press, they don't usually seem to be saying as H and Meg were, "we don't want any reporters around us who are not on our side, we want to give our stories to friendly sympathetic media outlets"
Its JUST about possible that Harry annoyed his staff a lot, esp. if he was putting forward all this stuff about controlling his Press coverage.. and letting the American media know about things more than the British media..... And they said something snappish because they dont feel the need to show him the formal respect that staff would show to other royals like the queen..?
Old 08-21-2020, 06:44 AM
Imperial Majesty

IMO there is no way an aide would have used that phrase.

I does however sounds like a recount, probably from Harry himself, to Omid. Basically summing up both Harry's frustrations and how he perceived "the refusal" of the staff to implement his wishes.

So nothing new there. Merely a confirmation of the impression I already have of Harry.
Harry had and has a different view of his and Meghan's role and options, regardless of what the staff advised.
And he had and has problems accepting a no.

The same with the now infamous quote regarding QEII about her sucking it up.
It sounds to me like a recount from Harry, rather than a precise quote.
Because despite Harry's flaws I doubt very much he would have been this rude to his grandmother.
Princess Anne and Prince Phillip would no doubt come over and spank his bottom within the hour, if Harry had said something like that! I can almost see it.
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....1GbUR0KxjL.jpg
Old 08-21-2020, 07:44 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
IMO there is no way an aide would have used that phrase.

I does however sounds like a recount, probably from Harry himself, to Omid. Basically summing up both Harry's frustrations and how he perceived "the refusal" of the staff to implement his wishes.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....1GbUR0KxjL.jpg
They might not have used that particular phrase but I think it IS possible, if Harry (or H and Meg) were being very wilful and exasperating that an aide might have said to him that if he persisted in that mindset, he would no longer be working within the parameters of the RF's way of working... and would in effect need to set himself up as separate from the RF.. And that's what happened, isn't it? Harry and Meg have walked out and are doing their "own" version of royal duties, and either they're paying their own expenses or Charles is helping them privately.. They are no longer getting payments from the Sovereign Grant.
Old 08-21-2020, 08:39 PM
Courtier

The ever helpful Daily Mail managed to tally the costs of all the freebies mentioned in Finding Freedom:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...tel-stays.html
Old 08-21-2020, 08:43 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I generally would agree with you, but I can't honestly beleve this. Meghan isn't that bright but surely she realizes that asking to be paid for pictures of the baby is a no no? Fergie did an interview for Hello Mag when her children were babies and was paid for it, but there was such a fuss, that I'm sure it was clear to Harry that he and Meg could not do things like this?
I think they were doing a celeb thing in that they wanted to say to the Press that they weren't going to go the traditionally route of showing off the baby for a few mins when coming out of hospital.. I think they hoped the public would support them on this and they could show him off when they wanted to, on social media.. but it misfired. The public didn't mind really, but the press got more annoyed and hostile..
I remember when Peter and Autumn Phillips sold their wedding photos to Hello. From what I read William was incensed because there were pictures of Kate at the private event, and the Queen was shocked. I can't remember who said this, but one of the royals was reported to have said, "Do they need money that badly?!"
Old 08-21-2020, 09:14 PM
Heir Apparent

I honestly think H&M maybe though they could be like Zara and Peter in the sense Zara was able to have pictures of her children in magazines and Peter did have his wedding in Hello (though apparently royal aides said never again after that).

I don't think they saw the difference between them and Zara and Peter, ZAra even more so as she is a successful sportswoman in her own right.
Old 08-21-2020, 09:26 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post
The ever helpful Daily Mail managed to tally the costs of all the freebies mentioned in Finding Freedom:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...tel-stays.html

I don't like them but to be fair celebrities get freebies all the time. It's ridiculous. And they are celebrities.
Old 08-21-2020, 09:51 PM
Majesty

Wellknown senior royals in all European royal families get special deals on holiday homes, yachting holidays, hotels and all sorts of goods and services all the time, and some of the examples in the DM articles are guesses about whether some were paid for or not as well.
Old 08-21-2020, 09:59 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Wellknown senior royals in all European royal families get special deals on holiday homes, yachting holidays, hotels and all sorts of goods and services all the time, and some of the examples in the DM articles are guesses about whether some were paid for or not as well.
Its been something that's been around for ages. A place can become "more attractive" to staying there by actually having a plaque in a room that states "George Washington slept here" or a historic marker outside of the establishment. It has drawing power. The same with The Queen of Norway staying at an establishment or The Prince of Wales preferring to order his cheese from a certain place. To cater to these kind of "advertisements", an establishment may go out of their way to accomondate, comp and cater to those that will add to their own benefits. Nothing wrong with that.

If I was selling my house today on the market, having it listed that that Sussexes spent a week here in *this* home would draw more attention than just the average, everyday, neighborwoods listing of cabins in the woods on a mountain. Bet mine would sell faster because it would reach a greater audience.

Disclaimer: Harry and Meghan did not spend any time with us at our home. There wouldn't have been room for all of Archie's baby stuff he needed.
Old 08-22-2020, 12:52 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by duchessrachel View Post
I remember when Peter and Autumn Phillips sold their wedding photos to Hello. From what I read William was incensed because there were pictures of Kate at the private event, and the Queen was shocked. I can't remember who said this, but one of the royals was reported to have said, "Do they need money that badly?!"
They were not in the same position. Harry and Meghan were full time working royals who were receiving money from the Sovereign Grant. Autumn and Peter were not.. And Autumn's family is not well off..
I havent heard of the queen being shocked...She might not like it but if Autumn's family could not afford to pay for a wedding, the RF Could have helped out.
Old 08-22-2020, 04:10 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
They were not in the same position. Harry and Meghan were full time working royals who were receiving money from the Sovereign Grant. Autumn and Peter were not.. And Autumn's family is not well off..
I havent heard of the queen being shocked...She might not like it but if Autumn's family could not afford to pay for a wedding, the RF Could have helped out.
That was all rubbish. Of course they were fine with the photos being sold. It was practically set up as an event to introduce Kate into the royal family. And William wasnt there so not to overshadow the wedding pair. It was a PR savvy move there which benefited everyone.
Old 08-22-2020, 04:18 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy7 View Post
That was all rubbish. Of course they were fine with the photos being sold. It was practically set up as an event to introduce Kate into the royal family. And William wasnt there so not to overshadow the wedding pair. It was a PR savvy move there which benefited everyone.
I dont think it was a good move by Peter P,
I think the RF could quite well have paid for the wedding so that he didn't have to sell the photos...
However, Peter Phillips was not a working royal and as such, he could engage in a business deal to sell his wedding photographs... He wasn't in the same position as the Sussexes
Old 08-22-2020, 04:33 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I dont think it was a good move by Peter P,
I think the RF could quite well have paid for the wedding so that he didn't have to sell the photos...
However, Peter Phillips was not a working royal and as such, he could engage in a business deal to sell his wedding photographs... He wasn't in the same position as the Sussexes
They didn't have a problem with it. It's always surprised me people thought they did. He never would have done it if they did.
Old 08-22-2020, 04:44 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy7 View Post
They didn't have a problem with it. It's always surprised me people thought they did. He never would have done it if they did.
I cant imagine the queen was very happy with it, but I doubt if she was unhappy enough to pay up. It wasn't the same as Fergie selling pictures of herself bathing her babies..

Closed Thread