Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library
Click Here to Login

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2020, 10:42 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Does the Queen know that Ms Kelly is performing this 'service' for her or has Angela Kelly just assumed it to be so and taken it on her own shoulders by herself? Because I would certainly be surprised to say the least if I learned that my dresser, however valuable she is to me and the Royal Household, believed that I had to be protected against a much loved grandson of mine and his fiancé.

Plus Omid said in an interview today that weeks had passed since the first try-on of the tiara until three days before the wedding in spite of many many phone calls from staff.
Plus, tiaras are a great deal heavier and less flexible, harder to manoevre than a plastic one from a cheap jewellery store.

Angela is such a good friend of the Queen's that the Queen allowed her to write a book. And selfish Meghan showed up with her hairdresser unannounced and demanded Angela drop everything and be her servant and bring her the tiara unannounced. That's according to this book they cooperated on no matter what they say and is supposed to make them look good.

Old 08-18-2020, 12:30 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenMathilde View Post
Angela is such a good friend of the Queen's that the Queen allowed her to write a book. And selfish Meghan showed up with her hairdresser unannounced and demanded Angela drop everything and be her servant and bring her the tiara unannounced. That's according to this book they cooperated on no matter what they say and is supposed to make them look good.
Indeed, I had a bit of a chuckle. Angela Kelly has been working with the Queen some twenty-odd pushing thirty years and is an LVO, knighted for her exemplary personal service to Her Majesty. This is what she does for a living and she has been in dozens of similar circumstances, preparing a piece of jewelry to be worn by a member of The Queen's family. That it was a wedding and that is was Meghan's wedding was unique to the Meghan and Harry but it was not unique to Angela Kelly. It was preparing another piece from the collection for another event.

It is Angela Kelly, and not Harry, who knows The Queen's expectations in this circumstance. Being Her Majesty's "beloved grandson" or his future bride does not bequeath him or her with some special knowledge of how this professional, work-related situation should unfold that is not possessed by the professional, working woman who is in charge of the proceedings.

Frankly, it just drips with the controlling bride who wants to micromanage and control everything, particularly by telling the professionals around her how to do the job they professionally do because it's her big day and surely no one has ever done this before. But here, it has an added layer because of suggestions like above: that people like Harry, because they are the grandson of The Queen, have some special knowledge or insight that the rest of humanity don't have no matter how qualified those people are because, well, royals are just special.

Old 08-18-2020, 03:18 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fem View Post
As the book was fairly negative towards Catherine - I find these comments from Omid very interesting:

“In Meghan’s refusal to do certain things- like show Archie the day he was born- and in sharing her feminist views- that made Kate look incredibly old fashioned,” he says, “And I think there have been many times in which Megan's progressiveness highlighted Kate's almost sort of past-era persona that she has as the perfect Duchess of Cambridge.”

“I think if Meghan had come in and was the subservient wife and did everything that she was supposed to, at all times and didn't question anything, it may have been different. But Meghan just wasn't ever going to fit that sort of cookie-cutter Duchess role.”

ETA: Source: https://www.glamourmagazine.co.uk/ar...edom-interview
Thanks for the link to this interview, which I've just read in full. The bolded phrase above stands out for me as the one I'd want to challenge most. I like to seek the truth of events by using evidence so where's the survey showing the public think Catherine looks "incredibly old fashioned" compared to Meghan (or anyone actually)? Where are the polls, the sampling, the data? I've never seen any and I suspect this is just Omid's opinion rather than a fact but of course I'm open to giving him credit for this conclusion if it's based on evidence although I'd still take issue with using it puff up one woman while denigrating another.

Omid says that the media likes to pitch women against each other and based on all the press I've read in my lifetime, I'd heartily agree with him. He says:
“There's this stereotype...that successful women in the same room together must cat fight, must be competitive, so we must pit them against each other and compare them in every way possible.”

However, he then follows this up by pitching two women against each other! He actually does it himself - in plain sight without a flicker of acknowledging his own hypocrisy, which is sexist, misogynist and breathtaking in its lack of self-awareness. Does he know he's doing this or is he so blinded by his own bias that he can't see he's as guilty as the tabloid media?
Old 08-18-2020, 03:22 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyflo View Post
Thanks for the link to this interview, which I've just read in full. The bolded phrase above stands out for me as the one I'd want to challenge most. I like to seek the truth of events by using evidence so where's the survey showing the public think Catherine looks "incredibly old fashioned" compared to Meghan (or anyone actually)? Where are the polls, the sampling, the data? I've never seen any and I suspect this is just Omid's opinion rather than a fact but of course I'm open to giving him credit for this conclusion if it's based on evidence although I'd still take issue with using it puff up one woman while denigrating another.

Omid says that the media likes to pitch women against each other and based on all the press I've read in my lifetime, I'd heartily agree with him. He says:
“There's this stereotype...that successful women in the same room together must cat fight, must be competitive, so we must pit them against each other and compare them in every way possible.”

However, he then follows this up by pitching two women against each other! He actually does it himself - in plain sight without a flicker of acknowledging his own hypocrisy, which is sexist, misogynist and breathtaking in its lack of self-awareness. Does he know he's doing this or is he so blinded by his own bias that he can't see he's as guilty as the tabloid media?
I was just going to say that!!! he says women are portrayed as "cat fighting" and then seems to go for this "Megan is good at her job and Cath isn't.."
Old 08-18-2020, 03:38 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyflo View Post

I was already struck by the headline ("The Royal institution doesn't know how to handle strong, independent women"). It is quite curious to say that when the current head of the "Royal institution" happens to be a woman. Isn't she considered strong or independent?

I find it interesting also how some authors in particular feed off stereotypes about royalty and the BRF in particular (e.g. "We've seen women marry into this family and time and time again, they leave scarred, It's almost an impossible process") and the gullible American audience buys into it because it is what they expect to hear and it "kinda makes sense".

Meghan , given her background, is even more perfect to sell that narrative.
Old 08-18-2020, 03:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Do strong independent women complain about not being invited on a shopping trip?
Old 08-18-2020, 03:44 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
Do strong independent women complain about not being invited on a shopping trip?
Perhaps the feeling is that ther'es only room for ONE strong woman in teh family
Old 08-18-2020, 03:57 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I was already struck by the headline ("The Royal institution doesn't know how to handle strong, independent women"). It is quite curious to say that when the head of "Royal institution" currently happens to be a woman. Isn't she considered strong or independent?
I think the Queen has always been underestimated as a strong woman and I could write a huge essay on it (I won't inflict that on anyone here!). After considering all the facts and advice from aides and experts, she's made her own decisions and stood her ground against her feisty, spoiled sister, her 'alpha male' domineering husband, her mother, her children, her politicians and the press. She's not naturally an extrovert but she's risen to the enormous challenge of making live speeches in nerve-wracking situations and she's also entertained and been polite to people who undoubtedly fill her with distaste if not disgust. I couldn't do it and I don't know anyone else who could do it.

Then there's The Princess Royal - don't even get me started here on my very long essay on what a strong woman SHE is.
Old 08-18-2020, 04:43 PM
Nobility

wow, he really manages to make things worse AFTER FF,
maybe he is not independent enough but says things the couple likes to hear,
now that he almost totally ruined their reputation.

I like Catherine, she seems to care a lot about her children which is, sorry I am oldfashioned still a mother's best "duty" . anything else is fine too and the two do not have to care what anybody else is thinking about their private life in which I consider Kate being really tough.
Meghan's far away from that level.
Old 08-18-2020, 06:18 PM
Royal Highness

[...] I've said this before and I'll say it again .... this isn't going to end well for either one of them.
Old 08-18-2020, 07:01 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fem View Post
So Omid is making rounds promoting Finding Freedom and talking about the book and BRF. As I finished the book, I finally got to the media reactions and interviews, that I didn't want to read before.

As the book was fairly negative towards Catherine - I find these comments from Omid very interesting:

“In Meghan’s refusal to do certain things- like show Archie the day he was born- and in sharing her feminist views- that made Kate look incredibly old fashioned,” he says, “And I think there have been many times in which Megan's progressiveness highlighted Kate's almost sort of past-era persona that she has as the perfect Duchess of Cambridge.”

“I think if Meghan had come in and was the subservient wife and did everything that she was supposed to, at all times and didn't question anything, it may have been different. But Meghan just wasn't ever going to fit that sort of cookie-cutter Duchess role.”

It wasn't even 10 years ago that we had this evil portrayal of Kate Middleton, modernizing the royal family, introducing new ways that were supposed to be the downfall of the monarchy. It's been almost 20 years of constant, very often negative and hurtful press, of mistakes and mishaps and ignoring the awful comments and hard work to come to the fact that she's a perfect "past-era persona" and fit in a "cookie-cutter Duchess role". And all I can think is that in many situations you'll find more success with soft words and steel spine, because that's what's allowing the person to move forward when the times get tough.

ETA: Source: https://www.glamourmagazine.co.uk/ar...edom-interview
Wow! I don't even know where to begin. Omid is a major misogynist. Kate allowing the public to see her children on the day of their christenings or her decision not to talk about feminism proves that she is subservient? I haven't heard Meghan talk about mental illness, does that mean that Meghan is prejudiced against people who are suffering from mental illness? Meghan hasn't spoken out about domestic abuse, does that mean she is pro-abuse?

[...]
Old 08-18-2020, 07:37 PM
Majesty

Finding Freedom has officially topped the bestselling charts in the UK, having sold 31,0OO hardcover copies in five days since publication. It has also topped the US and UK Amazon bestseller lists in its categories. Scobie and Durand have a big hit on their hands.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...-sells-UK.html
Old 08-18-2020, 07:42 PM
Aristocracy

My quick comment on the 'baby showing'.
For me Kate's approach was much better. She'd to leave the hospital anyway so she 'squeezed in' the couple minutes of showing and drove off to the comforts of her home, forgetting about the press, only with the baby on her mind.
Meghan had to leave comforts of home to present the baby. So "the chore" was in the back of her mind for those 2-3 days.
I much prefer Catherine's way, or not presenting baby at all.
Old 08-18-2020, 07:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by suztav View Post
[...] I've said this before and I'll say it again .... this isn't going to end well for either one of them.
My opinion too, I hope for them both that we are wrong but it is very likely...
Old 08-18-2020, 08:00 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Finding Freedom has officially topped the bestselling charts in the UK, having sold 31,0OO hardcover copies in five days since publication. It has also topped the US and UK Amazon bestseller lists in its categories. Scobie and Durand have a big hit on their hands.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...-sells-UK.html
I guess people in the UK do not buy books if it only takes 31,000 books to top the bestseller list in a country with a population of 70 Million
Old 08-18-2020, 08:13 PM
Majesty

The article is concentrating on the fact that 31,000 hardcover books (more expensive than Kindle copies) were moved in Britain in the five days after publication. That's incredibly quickly. It doesn't mean that more books weren't sold in the days afterwards, or that people weren't buying this publication on Amazon Kindle, as I did myself, US, UK, Aus etc. Nor that this will inevitably be published now in paperback form.
Old 08-18-2020, 09:09 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post
I guess people in the UK do not buy books if it only takes 31,000 books to top the bestseller list in a country with a population of 70 Million
Book sales are incredibly low in all countries. Make of that what you will. And books like this sells because everyone wants a gander but it's a pile of vapid nonsense. So was twilight.
Old 08-18-2020, 09:30 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post

Good point. However, Harry and Meghan are colorful and charismatic and always attract a lot of attention. I personally don't think that's good in itself, but if it serves to highlight good causes it is a good thing. What I just don't get is the point of comparing Meghan and Catherine and/or putting Catherine in the negative.....they have always been completely different, and now that Meghan has moved on there is no need to compare. They don't travel in the same sphere. I guess Omid really hates Catherine or is just trying to make money, or a combination of both.
Old 08-18-2020, 09:39 PM
Serene Highness

Finding Freedom: Harry and Meghan and the Making of A Modern Royal Family

I didn’t know there was a new Harry and Meghan book until I read something about it in the Sussex threads. Popped over here to read about it. That is to say: I don’t think it’s garnered that much attention in the US really. The news is mostly COVID, the election, race related issues, police related issues.

The book sounds dreadful though. In its writing style ( just reading the table of contents made me laugh), substance (or lack thereof), and how the Sussexes come out of it looking (not good from what I gather).

Thank you to the posters who have read it and provided commentary. My overwhelming feeling is there seemed to be a lot of hurt feelings over basically petty issues (shopping trips?!) and a lot of trivial information shared.

If this was supposed to be a sympathetic book, I’d hate to see what a critical one read like. And I say that as someone who really admired them right up until that interview last fall. It’s been all downhill from there. And since I don’t believe a book like this could have been written without their cooperation/approval in some manner, all I can say is what I’m hearing about this book certainly doesn’t improve my opinion of them. If anything, it’s worse.

I’m not surprised the book is selling well. That was always going to be the case.
Old 08-18-2020, 10:19 PM
Courtier

Seeing as this book doesn't make Harry and Meghan look too good I don't think it topping the bestseller list is something they should hope for. They'd be better off hoping it goes away.

Closed Thread