"Elizabeth & Margaret: The Intimate World of the Windsor Sisters" by Andrew Morton

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Queen Claude

Serene Highness
City
USA
Country
United States
"Elizabeth & Margaret: The Intimate World of the Windsor Sisters" by Andrew Morton

From Amazon (link):

Elizabeth & Margaret: The Intimate World of the Windsor Sisters Hardcover – March 30, 2021 by Andrew Morton

They were the closest of sisters and the best of friends. But when, in a quixotic twist of fate, their uncle Edward Vlll decided to abdicate the throne, the dynamic between Elizabeth and Margaret was dramatically altered. Forever more Margaret would have to curtsey to the sister she called 'Lillibet.' And bow to her wishes.

Elizabeth would always look upon her younger sister's antics with a kind of stoical amusement, but Margaret's struggle to find a place and position inside the royal system—and her fraught relationship with its expectations—was often a source of tension. Famously, the Queen had to inform Margaret that the Church and government would not countenance her marrying a divorcee, Group Captain Peter Townsend, forcing Margaret to choose between keeping her title and royal allowances or her divorcee lover.

From the idyll of their cloistered early life, through their hidden war-time lives, into the divergent paths they took following their father's death and Elizabeth's ascension to the throne, this book explores their relationship over the years. Andrew Morton's latest biography offers unique insight into these two drastically different sisters—one resigned to duty and responsibility, the other resistant to it—and the lasting impact they have had on the Crown, the royal family, and the ways it adapted to the changing mores of the 20th century.

Serialization in The Mail on Sunday:

Princess Margaret accused the Royals of ignoring her mental anguish - years before Diana and Meghan: ANDREW MORTON reveals how she took pills and whisky, sobbed on chauffeur's shoulder and threatened to throw herself from window

• Princess Margaret slipped easily into the ‘black sheep’ sibling stereotype
  • As marriage to Lord Snowdon fell apart she was smoking & drinking excessively
  • Once phoned a friend threatening to throw herself from her bedroom window
  • Sign of her devastation was that she sobbed on shoulder of Larkin, her chauffeur
By Andrew Morton For The Mail On Sunday
Published: 18:00 EDT, 20 March 2021 | Updated: 06:26 EDT, 21 March 2021

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...noring-mental-anguish-years-Diana-Meghan.html
Did Margaret two-time her war hero lover with Elizabeth Taylor's future husband? The Crown depicts her romance with Peter Townsend as being forbidden by the Queen. The reality is that Her Majesty supported the affair – and there's another twist

Published: 18:01 EDT, 27 March 2021 | Updated: 18:09 EDT, 27 March 2021

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9409925/Did-Margaret-two-time-war-hero-lover.html

Margaret's war on Diana: 'I've always adored Margo,' the Princess once told ANDREW MORTON - but the Panorama interview changed everything. The Queen's sister cut her off and called the sea of flowers after her death 'floral facism'

• Princess Margaret encouraged the Queen to cut Diana some slack in early days
  • Her response to what she saw as 'Diana's betrayal' of Royal Family was extreme
  • She sent 'wounding' letter accusing her of letting everyone down after interview
  • Diana once gushed she 'always adored Margo, she has been wonderful to me'
Published: 17:00 EDT, 3 April 2021 | Updated: 21:43 EDT, 3 April 2021

Royal author Andrew Morton's new book about the Queen and her sister, Princess Margaret, challenges conventional wisdom about their relationship.

Here, in the final part of our serialisation, he reveals how the two women's bond was unbreakable, despite Margaret's wild love life.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...view-changed-Queens-sister-cut-Diana-off.html

Last edited:
Thanks for the info!

I won’t be reading the book, but I do love HM and Margaret’s relationship, that they did have that unbreakable bond as sisters; that will be the best part of the book, IMO.

Autor Christopher Warwick,biographer of the late Princess Margareths autorised biography,passed away yesterday March 14th.

Very very sad.

Dear Chris.R.I.P.
:easter:

Last edited:
I am so very sorry to hear the news about Christopher Warwick. I enjoyed both his biographies of Princess Margaret and his ancedotes about his 20 year friendship he developed with her during writing the books. I also appreciated the way he tried to give people a more accurate, rounded and positive but honest picture of she was really like. I think the word 'expert' is often overused of royal writers but in his case I feel it genuninely applied and was very much deserved. I will miss his writing and seeing him interviewed on royal documentaries/programmes a lot. Won't seem quite the same without his contribution RIP and condolences to his loved ones.

Back
Top Bottom