Danish Royal Family Books

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I found this interesting site called Kongernes Samling = The collection of Kings.

It contains books - and various souvenirs, seemingly sold under the administration that is running the various royal palaces, museums, exhibitions and what not affiliated to the Danish royal family.

The prices are very reasonable and presumably go only to cover the production and administration.

Try take a look in the section for books in English here:
https://shop.kongernessamling.dk/en/product-category/books/

And those in Danish here:
https://shop.kongernessamling.dk/produkt-kategori/boeger-da/

These books may be of interest to the hardcore follower of royalty and history.

The front page:
https://shop.kongernessamling.dk/en/
I've seen several people on Twitter post about these books. They say the books are very good and given that the posters are professional royal watchers it says something about the quality of the books.

New book: Danmarks konger og dronninger = Kings and Queens of Denmark.
By Jim Lyngvild.
242 pages. Hardcover.

Obtainable here, among other places: https://www.bog-ide.dk/produkt/4523035/jim-lyngvild-danmarks-konger-og-dronninger

It's a portrait book by the designer, multi-talent and self-proclaimed super-royalist Jim Lyngvild.

He has created a book in which he has "photographed" all kings and queen there have been in Denmark since Gorm the Old, up until the current QMII.
For the photos he has used, when possible, paintings from the period the king reigned.
But for basically more than half the Danish kings, let alone their queens, we have no idea how they really looked like.
So Jim Lyngvild has used modern substitutes, dressed them up in period costumes as well as ornaments, jewellery and hairstyle - as close to the what is known about the period as possible.
Jim Lyngvild has designed the clothes and accessories (he has done that previosuly for the National Museum) and recreated the hair and beard-fashion of the periods.
In the photos that are based or paintings, Jim Lyngvild has copied the dress and accessories the royals are seen wearing.

The result is IMO quite interesting and I consider buying the book. My mother-in-law has already "requested" one for Christmas. ;)

But have a look for yourselves here:
https://app.box.com/s/rrc0we47trjz4nmn4n7qh0jll02tj8ha
The model at the top, depicts Queen Margrethe I, holding a genuine national treasure, borrowed by the National Museum, the Norwegian King's Horn, which was used as a drinking-vessel at the Norwegian court back in the 1300's, before QMI became Queen-regent of Norway, Denmark and Sweden. - Hence why the model was required to wear gloves.

The model to the right, depicts a young QMII. The model is not supposed to resemble the real thing that much, it's the style that is more in focus.

https://app.box.com/s/490yjz1hxbph75avp8yd7hdlj1ifa0ay
To the top right we have Prince Henrik, when he was young and more dashing, with a cigarette, which was what you had in your hands, when you were cool, only a generation ago.

https://app.box.com/s/uh2atyex2r398n7neir4r7wgzs6swpqn
Top left we have a genuine Viking-King, Svend Estridsen, who ruled from 1047-1076.
Silk and vivid colors were well featured in Viking-attire. As well a fur, lots of it!
This photo is based on descriptions of Svend Estridsen as well as descriptions of Viking-fashion.
The somewhat feminine crown is based on his portrait on coins.
He is wearing teeth from a polar-bear around his neck, because he was once presented with a polar-bear cup.

The photo top right is based very much on a photo of Queen Ingrid (then princess) from 1933. Complete with a copy of the Kame-tiara.

Bottom left, is Queen Caroline Mathilde, the one who had an affair with Struensee. And as such Struensee is indeed depicted as well in this somewhat racy photo. - as the only non-royal in the book.

https://app.box.com/s/28ievbogsf45hxyvlhv07qvrju26nkkp
Top right: Queen Louise, who was married to Frederik VIII.
She came to Denmark absolutely loaded with jewellery! And as such she is wearing some of the magnificent pieces in this photo.
The pearls are genuine, otherwise it shows, so Jim Lyngvild estimates he have spend more on making this book, then he expects to earn from it.
The dress is an original from the 1800's, borrowed from the Schaffalitzky de Muckadell family from Arreskov Manor.

Bottom left, this is an error Jim Lyngvild made in the book, to his chagrin. The pearls came to DK with Queen Louise, but in the book he has made the mistake of having Queens Marie Sophie Frederikke and Caroline Amalie wear it as well - but they were around before Queen Louise.

ADDED:

Here are some additional photos from the book:
https://online.fliphtml5.com/asacm/ovsb/files/large/3.jpg?1568975241
https://images.jfmedier.dk/images/6...240_0_90_0_0_5232_6905_1440_1900_d25aa2b8.jpg
https://images.jfmedier.dk/images/b...31c_2_90_0_0_4552_6426_1440_2033_1a685c7e.jpg
https://images.jfmedier.dk/images/8...315_0_90_0_0_5107_7368_1440_2078_393d6340.jpg
https://scontent-yyz1-1.cdninstagra...=scontent-yyz1-1.cdninstagram.com&_nc_cat=107

Last edited:
Kronprinsesse Mary fortæller are by Palshøj & Reder, and they are always positive towards the DRF. What is of interest in their books is that they let the DRF members themselves and family and friends talk about their subject.
So their books are pretty much 50 % direct quotes from named sources and the rest are summaries of events leading up to the quotes.

Mary, Kronprinsesse med Stil, is by Jim Lyngvild and Jan Körner.
- Jim Lyngvild is a super royalist, and even though he can be critical of the DRF if they do something silly, he remains a royalist.
Jan Körner is a EB reporter and he still writes about the DRF in that tabloid. His coverage there is invariably negative, regardless of what. To the point of being irrational. Something the readers don't fail to point out.

Vild med Mary is by Jim Lyngvild and as mentioned above he is a super royalist and very appreciative of Mary's fashion sense. Being an accomplished designer himself you can rest assured that the book will be well illustrated and going into details in regards to Mary's fashion choices.

- All of the books are "Christmas-present books" usually published before Christmas as a nice present for aunt Oda.

Thanks, Blog Real.

Hadn't heard about it. And a quick Google for reviews produced nothing.
Have not read about this book being quoted anywhere.

So my conclusion is that this is a harmless, easy to read, well illustrated fanbook about Frederik.
Sold at an affordable price this book probably doesn't contain any interviews at all and no direct quotes.
And it's not controversial.

I'd say this is for fans of Frederik, and less so for people interested in learning more about Frederik that we don't already know.

How big a readership would a book like this have in Denmark??? Is there anyway anyone could give me some idea???
I'm just curious because the only royalty books seen (as a general rule) in NZ are still Princess Di ones, with the occassional more generalised (British) RF one, or HM the Queen too I guess

My name is Ronald Biver & I lived in Melbourne Australia for many Years. I come from The Netherlands of Dutch parents. As the Netherlands is a kingdom for many years with the House of Orange Nassau as a symbol of Dutch national pride to most Dutch people,specially in our family. I start to have a liking to collect royal biographies, starting with the Dutch royal Family, then the European Royal Families, then the rest of the world, so now I have about 400 books & biographies of all the royal families of the world. My main focus is of course European royal biographies, Scandinavian royal biographies, including Denmark is about 20, Lets keep in touch?

I just sent you a message from Melbourne Australia

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
That should be interesting!

The authors have written several books about the DRF. Their style is to interview both members of the DRF, but also friends, courtiers and others who have been involved in whatever events.
So this book should be packed with first-hand quotes.

That should be interesting!

The authors have written several books about the DRF. Their style is to interview both members of the DRF, but also friends, courtiers and others who have been involved in whatever events.
So this book should be packed with first-hand quotes.

Yes per the description at the link there should be quite a bit of bts information given this is done with DRF permission and the people interviewed. Sounds like it might provide quite an insight
http://www.lindhardtogringhof.dk/kongehuset-paa-arbejde-danmark

Yes, the book focus on some 50 years of state visits, with emphasis on QMII and M&F's travels.

Basically starting with personal sketches by then Princess Margrethe back in 1963, on a long trip to Asia.

The people talking about that travels and what went on behind the scenes as well as anecdotes include three presidents, from Iceland, Poland and France. Nine former Foreign Ministers. Various ambassadors and people from the culture as well as CEO's from Grundfos, Danfoss, Novo Nordisk, Ørsted and other heavy-weights within Danish export.

The description does not say whether QMII and M&F themselves contribute with personal quotes.

At 299 DKK the price is affordable.

- It's an archetypical Christmas-present-book.

And while reading about the above book, I found another book - in English - about Fredensborg Palace.
History, decoration, details, architecture, renovations and the private areas of the palace including QMII's office and the private living rooms, (and perhaps also PH's bedroom. Not sure though.)

A comprehensive work and so is the price! 499 DKK.

https://www.lindhardtogringhof.dk/fredensborg-royal-palace#

Several books about the DRF are as usual being published up to Christmas.

Two of them sounds promising, one by Thomas Larsen. (I write a little about it in the PH thread.)
The other sounds very promising!
That's by Tom Buk Sweinty and is based on no less that fourteen conversations by this very thorough historical author and QMII herself.
And she is very frank in this book. - I think QMII has reached the age, where she no longer have to care about her image and afford to be completely honest, both about herself but also about things and people she talks about.

That includes Elvis Presley, whom she met when she was young. She thought his music was dreadful - and still do...
Frank Sinatra on the other hand... Her favorite being Strangers in the Night. Because that song she and PH danced to in a nightclub when they were falling in love.

She also admits that she has been smoking since she was seventeen. Both her parents smoked and one day they simply offered her a cigarette and she has been smoking ever since.

- This book, I think will be high on my wish list this Christmas!
https://www.saxo.com/dk/undervejs-d...Krw1Ff2vVZk_DR6gEahmJuODZV3cXVfxoCa_YQAvD_BwE

The Palace today shared the interesting fact that the cover of the new book by Thomas Larsen was shot with a more than 100-year-old photographic technique, as can be seen in the gallery:

** instagram post **

Using a camera from 1856 - that is said to have covered the American Civil War - that should delight QMII!

Me too for that matter! Wetplate-photography isn't something you encounter every decade.

Latest Danish royal biographies

Hello there everybody, I just bought 3 biographies of the Danish Royal Family in 3 parts: part 1 Alix & Minnie, royal sisters preparing for greatness, 2 Alix & Minnie, adventure, wealth & scandal and 3 Alix & Minnie, widowhood, war, revolution & exile. (James-Charles Noonan), I am reading the first one (part 1)
worth the money & worth having it, plus other books Prince Adam the second of Liechtenstein & The Other Grand Dukes (Romanovs) volume 2 by Arturo E Beeche. Anybody interested in royal history, please share your thoughts with me, love to hear from you about the latest biographies.

Yes, that's about Frederik and Joachim's nanny, Else Pedersen. Who was their nanny and indeed very much a substitute mother for most of their childhood - up until they left for the French boarding school.
And also when they returned and went to high school.
25 years in total.

She was about ten years older than QMII.

It was Else Pedersen who looked after the boys. Woke them up, fed them, send them to school. It happened that the boys went down to their parents but mostly they didn't see QMII until the late afternoon, where she would usually rest a little.
PH and QMII dined late, around 20.00. While the boys dined around 18.00. And it was after dinner they usually went down to their mother. (Presumably before bedtime around 19.00 or so.)

QMII describes her as a "delightful lady."

QMII appreciate Else Pedersen looking after the boys, something that wasn't always possible (or desired...) for QMII, explaining: "It was a great delight to have these two little boys, but I probably also have to acknowledge that I wasn't a particularly efficient toddler-mother. I was - and is - not particularly good at little children and perhaps children in general. I don't know quite why. Some can, others less so."

--------------

Their relationship is well described in the two portraits books elsewhere here on TRF. And also how Frederik and Joachim IMO outgrew their nanny.
It is an indication of the previous royal and aristocratic way of raising children that you as a parent really didn't see your own children much. And basically only saw them when they were "presentable." It is a very archaic way of bringing up your children to our modern eyes - and something I don't think we need reintroduced from "the good old days."

There was of course also an amount of street-gossip about Else Pedersen. My mother for instance firmly believed that Else Pedersen was dismissed because the Regent Couple were jealous of J&F's warm and close relationship with her.
That of course contradicts the fact that she was employed for 25 years! If they had been jealous they would probably have gotten rid of her sooner.
But yes, Else Pedersen would have been there to comfort them, to tuck them in at night and been worried when they were sick. And of course children being children they attach themselves to those who feed and look after them.

QMII has often said that she isn't good with children. Well, perhaps she should have tried harder?
I don't think QMII is interested in children and she has often admitted that she isn't particularly patient. And that's something you need with children!
And, good grief, sometimes you want to put them in a box and return them to the maternity ward with no return address.
But the rewards are there as well and there must have been a lot of little things QMII missed.

PH was the strict father - and that is probably necessary with royal children - and even though they no doubt feared him I'm sure they also knew he loved them. And that explains the close ties it is my impression J&F had with their father.
I'm sure they were fond of their mother, but I think it was more a "nice-aunt" relationship, if you get my meaning.
The relationship especially between Frederik and QMII seem to me to have been developed when Frederik was fully grown up, say around 30 or so - and crucially after the death of Queen Ingrid. Because it was very much Queen Ingrid J&F went to, when there was a problem.

Yes, that's about Frederik and Joachim's nanny, Else Pedersen. Who was their nanny and indeed very much a substitute mother for most of their childhood - up until they left for the French boarding school.
25 years in total.

It was Else Pedersen who looked after the boys. Woke them up, fed them, send them to school. It happened that the boys went down to their parents but mostly they didn't see QMII until the late afternoon, where she would usually rest a little.
PH and QMII dined late, around 20.00. While the boys dined around 18.00. And it was after dinner they usually went down to their mother. (Presumably before bedtime around 19.00 or so.)

QMII appreciate Else Pedersen looking after the boys, something that wasn't always possible (or desired...) for QMII, explaining: "It was a great delight to have these two little boys, but I probably also have to acknowledge that I wasn't a particularly efficient toddler-mother. I was - and is - not particularly good at little children and perhaps children in general. I don't know quite why. Some can, others less so."

--------------

Their relationship is well described in the two portraits books elsewhere here on TRF. And also how Frederik and Joachim IMO outgrew their nanny.
It is an indication of the previous royal and aristocratic way of raising children that you as a parent really didn't see your own children much. And basically only saw them when they were "presentable." It is a very archaic way of bringing up your children to our modern eyes - and something I don't think we need reintroduced from "the good old days."

There was of course also an amount of street-gossip about Else Pedersen. My mother for instance firmly believed that Else Pedersen was dismissed because the Regent Couple were jealous of J&F's warm and close relationship with her.
That of course contradicts the fact that she was employed for 25 years! If they had been jealous they would probably have gotten rid of her sooner.
But yes, Else Pedersen would have been there to comfort them, to tuck them in at night and been worried when they were sick. And of course children being children they attach themselves to those who feed and look after them.

QMII has often said that she isn't good with children. Well, perhaps she should have tried harder?
I don't think QMII is interested in children and she has often admitted that she isn't particularly patient. And that's something you need with children!
And, good grief, sometimes you want to put them in a box and return them to the maternity ward with no return address.
But the rewards are there as well and there must have been a lot of little things QMII missed.

PH was the strict father - and that is probably necessary with royal children - and even though they no doubt feared him I'm sure they also knew he loved them. And that explains the close ties it is my impression J&F had with their father.
I'm sure they were fond of their mother, but I think it was more a "nice-aunt" relationship, if you get my meaning.
The relationship especially between Frederik and QMII seem to me to have been developed when Frederik was fully grown up, say around 30 or so - and crucially after the death of Queen Ingrid. Because it was very much Queen Ingrid J&F went to, when there was a problem.

I read on a website that Else Petersen lived in an apartment in Amalienborg Palace until 1993.
Else Petersen was also invited to Prince Christian's christening in 2006.

The name of Queen Margrethe II's nanny is unknown?

I read on a website that Else Petersen lived in an apartment in Amalienborg Palace until 1993.
Else Petersen was also invited to Prince Christian's christening in 2006.

The name of Queen Margrethe II's nanny is unknown?

Yes, or rather at the Amalienborg-complex surrounding the mansions. The court (the state) owns several apartment-blocks near Amalienborg, where current and former employees of the court can apply for an apartment they can rent - at a very affordable price and in an extremely desired location - to live in while they work for the court and after retirement.
The salary is not high, but there are a number of perks, this being one of them.

QMII had several nannies and little is known about them.

The Queen has said that her parents weren't as busy during her childhood as she was during her children's younger years and that they spent more time each day than she and Henrik did. This is probably true since the war meant that the royals weren't out and about as much as they normally would have been. Added to that the royal role has changed tremendously during the second half of the twentieth century.
Frederik and Ingrid for instance insisted on making time for the daily afternoon tea with their daughters. Margrethe also used to go down to watch her mother get dressed in the mornings and speaks fondly about how she used to get a piece of sugar dipped in his morning coffee from her father.

She's also spoken about getting an English nanny when aged nine who was horrified about how spoilt the girls were. She soon had them making their beds and picking up things after themselves. Something she said was about time since, in her own words, she's a "rodehoved" (a slob).

Last edited:
25 years in total.

--------------

Thank you!! I also wonder how much influence Mary had in Frederik becoming closer to his mother (and vice versa) given the loss of her own mother.

QMII never looks comfortable around children, especially when they are being, well, kids and being rambunctious, loud, etc. IMO, PH always looked more affectionate with the grandkids. QMII seem to still like the "seen and not heard" scenario.

No wonder Frederik has mentioned many times how he would be different with his children and be there for them and participate in their lives, be a present parent...and also not banish them to a corridor of the palace. Obviously Mary had a very happy childhood where she had a close relationship with her parents and siblings, which she has obviously brought into the raising of their kids. They are very tactile with the kids and the kids with each other showing that in private it is the same and there is no reservation of giving a hug or kiss or showing affection amongst each other.

But reading how distant their mother was is sad to me. At least Else provided them with all the motherly love and attention their own mother did not.

Last edited:
First of all, it's not exactly easy to admit you are a bad parent, or even not good with (your own) children, in public, for everyone, for posterity, no less.

In addition QM is one of very few women in a modernized society who has had absolutely no choice about not having kids. She had to. Sure, I guess she could have passed the throne to Bene's kids in theory, but in practice it caused far less fuss to just have a couple. Whether she really wanted to or felt she could parent them well or not.

And in addition to not having that choice, she had no choice about having to suddenly take an extremely busy job that she was forced to occupy herself with while they were young. And I believe she's spoken about how stressful and essentially traumatic that was, too. Margrethe is very fortunate she always had access to wonderful childcare, but that doesn't make up for everything.

Finally, QM isn't always the best judge of herself. While her relationship with J&F hasn't always been perfect or easy, she may say she's a bad parent/not good with children because she feels like she's not or like she failed, but it doesn't mean she is. Truly bad parents don't read to their kids or try at all. Or say they're bad parents to everyone, for that matter. Or care.

Last edited:
Thank you!! I also wonder how much influence Mary had in Frederik becoming closer to his mother (and vice versa) given the loss of her own mother.

QMII never looks comfortable around children, especially when they are being, well, kids and being rambunctious, loud, etc. IMO, PH always looked more affectionate with the grandkids. QMII seem to still like the "seen and not heard" scenario.

No wonder Frederik has mentioned many times how he would be different with his children and be there for them and participate in their lives, be a present parent...and also not banish them to a corridor of the palace. Obviously Mary had a very happy childhood where she had a close relationship with her parents and siblings, which she has obviously brought into the raising of their kids. They are very tactile with the kids and the kids with each other showing that in private it is the same and there is no reservation of giving a hug or kiss or showing affection amongst each other.

But reading how distant their mother was is sad to me. At least Else provided them with all the motherly love and attention their own mother did not.

Yes, she was there for them, but she was not their mother.
Frederik has talked about how Else Pedersen made that very clear to them.

No doubt she loved them. She wouldn't have stayed for so long if she didn't. And no doubt the boys could tell, even if Else Pedersen tried to be professional.

I think that mix of a fairly distant but kind mother, and a loving mother-figure who tired not to be an open mother for him, must have made it's mark on Frederik who is a very sensible person. (Or is it sensitive?)

Yes, she was there for them, but she was not their mother.
Frederik has talked about how Else Pedersen made that very clear to them.

No doubt she loved them. She wouldn't have stayed for so long if she didn't. And no doubt the boys could tell, even if Else Pedersen tried to be professional.

I think that mix of a fairly distant but kind mother, and a loving mother-figure who tired not to be an open mother for him, must have made it's mark on Frederik who is a very sensible person. (Or is it sensitive?)

I think I may have read somewhere that sometimes it was hard for Else to not show too much affection as she was not their mother, but that the boys knew that she loved them. She was their day-to-day caregiver.

I think Frederik is both sensible and sensitive. It has also fully affected the type of father he aims to be to ensure that his kids grow up differently. He has said this on more than one occasion. Yes, Mary and Frederik have help/nannies (that is inevitable), but the raising of the kids is theirs. And IMO that is the more modern thought process of the younger generation.

Last edited:
on Frederik who is a very sensible person. (Or is it sensitive?)

Unless you're talking Jane Austen, I think you mean "sensitive". ;)

But I think both of them are, it just shows in different ways. Fred is affected by things but tries to deal by appearing happy and sociable and busy.

Joachim is affected by things and seems to be the "think about it more/talk about it less/brood endlessly" type.

Frederik is willing to be exposed, and Joachim is pretty guarded, it seems. Or at least they yin-yang with this much in common.

(I'm sorry, mods, if you want to move this to a more sensible thread, please feel free!)

Last edited:
Now, that's gonna be an interesting book.
A bit like the photo-book Mary made with Frederik when he turned 50. I.e. pretty much edited and commented by Mary.

If this book is anything like the photo book about Frederik, then the many photos and the relatively few and simple captions would mean it appeals to non-Danish speakers as well.

But

At 329 DKK it ain't cheap though!

---------------

On another note. I got the book about QMII, I have been talking about, for Christmas. I have only had time to flip through, but I'm impressed!
Seriously impressed!

I'll go into more details later.

So exciting that Mary is getting a book like this for her 50th! Very well deserved! And that cover is absolutely stunning!! Cannot wait to see all the photographs! Appears to be 272 pages.

If my conversion is correct 329 DKK is about $51.00 USD. Not bad tbh, especially for a photo book of that type.

Last edited:
New book
The book marks the Crown Princess's 50th birthday in 2022 with a portrait of a woman who has found the right balance between her role in a royal family with strong historical roots and being royal in our time as a committed patron of Danish and international
affairs.
MARY – H.K.H. The Crown Princess is a modern picture adventure with the best photos from official events, but the book also takes readers on the Crown Princess's travels to lesser-known surroundings and to the Crown Princess's meeting*with the people who are most vulnerable.

https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...dning-mary-aabner-doeren-til-det-mest-private

I am very excited (not to mention pleasantly surprised)! Cannot wait to see the photographs chosen for the book! And WOW...what a stunning photo on the cover! She looks gorgeous!! So glad to see Mary getting all these accolades for her 50th...very much deserved!!

From the description in part: The book contains both new and not before seen photos and is accompanied by the Crown Princess's own stories about the moments that have had a special meaning......One of the book's highlights is the exclusive look-in-the-scenes photos from the wedding day in 2004.....when the Crown Princess is preparing to start a new chapter......The Crown Princess also opens the door to family life and never shares previously shown pictures.

Back
Top Bottom