Danish Royal Family Books

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That cover is sensational. My goodness.

I have a photobook of Crown Princess Mary of Denmark (bought a few years ago ) when Mary Donaldson met Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark during the Sydney (Australia) Olympic Games, a beautiful photobook from the introduction to the Danish Royal Court, the wedding & as wife of C/P Frederik of Denmark & in later years until today, a lot s of formal photographs with other princesses of Europe. Absolute A MUST. The name of the book is " MARY, Princess of style" by Jan Korner, Jim Lyngvild & Vibeke Sybrandt & the other 2 books about C/P Mary is " Mary, Crown Princess of Denmark" by Karin Palshoj & Gitte Redder & 3 " Something about Mary, from girl about town to princess" by Emma Tom.

As I wished I got this book for Christmas. Happy little me. ?

https://www.saxo.com/dk/undervejs-d...Krw1Ff2vVZk_DR6gEahmJuODZV3cXVfxoCa_YQAvD_BwE

Undervejs = Under Way, by Tom Buk-Swienty.

Who is a brilliant historical author, and who I'm in no doubt whatsoever has QMII among his readers.

The book must be considered a must-read by anyone who is remotely interested in QMII, but also the DRF family relations from around 1910-1950.

It is basically one long quote by QMII.

The author has asked the appropriate questions and simply allowed QMII to tell her story in her own words.
There are no words by the author himself apart from captions to various photos, many of which have never been shown before - don't worry, you'll find them in this thread eventually.
I actually like this approach, because it's not a biography per se. It's QMII talking and it's up to us, the readers, to interpret her words and draw what conclusions we get to.
It's a very frank book. QMII does not hide who among her family she liked or perhaps didn't like that much and who among the family who wasn't well liked or who was very well liked, even those she did not know personally. So this is the impressions and opinions that family members told her.

The book starts very simple by QMII introducing herself briefly, and making it clear that she is Daisy to her family only. And that she during her childhood was Princess Margrethe - it was a double-name to her, rather than title and name. Never only Margrethe.

Then she proceeds to talk about her very first memory escaping from her pram around the age of two.
She talked early on, and she believe that the fact that she was able to put words to things, enabled her to have such a clear and early memory.

It's an extremely easy book to read, divided into very short segments around one particular topic or memory. Be that her family members or the kindergarten at Amalienborg.

It's too good a reference-book not to share here. I'm still trying to work out how though.
Because translating more than 400 pages is out of the question.
So I think it will be a mix of a summary of minor segments.
A few translated quotes.
And tidbits and hard facts, which you can ask into, if you feel you need to know more.

- I think it will predominantly be the latter option.
Right now I need to finish the book. To my surprise I have been even more preoccupied during the Christmas holiday than anticipated - and hoped...

But I intend to start with the many photos, which divide the book into overall chapters.
They will be uploaded here at some point.

- Considering the price and the content the book is a gem!
And those of you who would like to read for yourselves really should consider pestering the publisher for an English version. ;)

Last edited:
After long and careful deliberations I have decided to go against my ethnicity (Jutlander) and part with some of my money.
I will buy the photo-book about Mary, scan and share it here.

- Unless the reviews are bad, mind you.
In which case we can get it cheaper, in a few months. :D

After long and careful deliberations I have decided to go against my ethnicity (Jutlander) and part with some of my money.
I will buy the photo-book about Mary, scan and share it here.

- Unless the reviews are bad, mind you.
In which case we can get it cheaper, in a few months. :D

our RF will have a very happy new year indeed! Mange tak Muhler:flowers:

As I wished I got this book for Christmas. Happy little me. ?

https://www.saxo.com/dk/undervejs-d...Krw1Ff2vVZk_DR6gEahmJuODZV3cXVfxoCa_YQAvD_BwE

Undervejs = Under Way, by Tom Buk-Swienty.

Who is a brilliant historical author, and who I'm in no doubt whatsoever has QMII among his readers.

The book must be considered a must-read by anyone who is remotely interested in QMII, but also the DRF family relations from around 1910-1950.

It is basically one long quote by QMII.

The author has asked the appropriate questions and simply allowed QMII to tell her story in her own words.
There are no words by the author himself apart from captions to various photos, many of which have never been shown before - don't worry, you'll find them in this thread eventually.
I actually like this approach, because it's not a biography per se. It's QMII talking and it's up to us, the readers, to interpret her words and draw what conclusions we get to.
It's a very frank book. QMII does not hide who among her family she liked or perhaps didn't like that much and who among the family who wasn't well liked or who was very well liked, even those she did not know personally. So this is the impressions and opinions that family members told her.

The book starts very simple by QMII introducing herself briefly, and making it clear that she is Daisy to her family only. And that she during her childhood was Princess Margrethe - it was a double-name to her, rather than title and name. Never only Margrethe.

Then she proceeds to talk about her very first memory escaping from her pram around the age of two.
She talked early on, and she believe that the fact that she was able to put words to things, enabled her to have such a clear and early memory.

It's an extremely easy book to read, divided into very short segments around one particular topic or memory. Be that her family members or the kindergarten at Amalienborg.

It's too good a reference-book not to share here. I'm still trying to work out how though.
Because translating more than 400 pages is out of the question.
So I think it will be a mix of a summary of minor segments.
A few translated quotes.
And tidbits and hard facts, which you can ask into, if you feel you need to know more.

- I think it will predominantly be the latter option.
Right now I need to finish the book. To my surprise I have been even more preoccupied during the Christmas holiday than anticipated - and hoped...

But I intend to start with the many photos, which divide the book into overall chapters.
They will be uploaded here at some point.

- Considering the price and the content the book is a gem!
And those of you who would like to read for yourselves really should consider pestering the publisher for an English version. ;)

I'm curious about your overall impression of the book, Muhler, assuming you've gotten to finish.

Of course the details, too. ? But that's one impression versus many.

I'm curious about your overall impression of the book, Muhler, assuming you've gotten to finish.

Of course the details, too. ? But that's one impression versus many.

Almost finished. - Been busy.

It's a very good book!
What makes it so interesting is that it is very personal. It's QMII's views, impressions, opinions and values we get, about all sorts of events and persons, family and otherwise.
What is also interesting is what she doesn't elaborate on. Sometimes the nuances of what she doesn't say about a person or event is very palatable.
It is certainly my impression that the relationship between Prince Knud's family and QMII branch of the family was pretty strained in connection with the change in the Law of Succession of 1953. But of course she doesn't say that outright. It's just hanging there in the air...

I will get to that because my - initial - approach will be to scan the photos. Than add very brief trivia to the photos and a few quotes, in order for you to get the gist of what QMII says about that person or event.
It will be a kind of super-condensed summary to the various parts of the book, because there are no chapters as such. It's QMII talking about her life from a chronological order, but with the odd detours.
And then you can ask into the details.

It will be a much more interactive thread than usual when I have written about books, because the whole book, every single word, ought to be translated.

When the condensed summary has been written, I will then scan the text. And then more can join in - or people may painstakingly try a Google translate.

I'm not even sure if this approach will work, but I think it's worth a try.

Last edited:
Yes, she was there for them, but she was not their mother.
Frederik has talked about how Else Pedersen made that very clear to them.

No doubt she loved them. She wouldn't have stayed for so long if she didn't. And no doubt the boys could tell, even if Else Pedersen tried to be professional.

I think that mix of a fairly distant but kind mother, and a loving mother-figure who tired not to be an open mother for him, must have made it's mark on Frederik who is a very sensible person. (Or is it sensitive?)

CP Frederik was very emotional when he met Else at Prince Christian’s christening. His thoughts must have been how she cared for him and yet could not give him the love she thought he should have had!

I picked up the Mary photo book earlier today and it's huge!!

Actually a little too big for my scanner, but I'll just have to crop some of the scans. No particular problem there.

Unsurprisingly for a photo book the photo quality is brilliant. I'd say half the photos are some we haven't seen before, especially the behind the scenes at the wedding. The rest are photos we may have seen before, especially if you follow Mary on all possible fora and media outlets. Some will be bigger and better versions of these already known photos.
Each photo comes with a caption describing when and where, and by which photographer.
I'll say that most who wants to put a bit of effort into it can type the text and do a Google translate or work out the meaning anyway. Because that's pretty much all the text there is.

So is the book worth the no doubt insane delivery costs, ordering it from DK?
- For a true hardcore fan of Mary, yes.
For the rest of us, we may survive without seeing these photos, but it's delightful nevertheless. My mother-in-law is very pleased.

I'm going to scan the book to the best of my abilities. It will of course not do the book justice as I often can't scan the whole photo.
So that's what I'm going to do.
It will take a few days and I will upload a link to a folder where the scans will be added later.

That means that the other project about the book about QMII is put on hold for a few more days.

:flowers:Muhler, cannot thank you enough for this huge effort in scanning the book for us! You're a total rock star!! :flowers:??

Thank you Muhler, for going through such trouble to share with us! Very much appreciated!

Last edited:
You are a star Muhler. Look forward to the daily episodes. So lovely and natural. Thank you.

You are all very welcome. ?

I'm glad you like it.

Today's update has been finished.
Next updates will be late in the evenings over the next week.

I have stopped scanning the captions. They make little sense, since they refer to the page where a given photo is displayed. And I may add the details later as a comment to the individual files.
Anyway, this is also very much aimed at those who want to pick up the fat wallet and order the book themselves.

Thank you for all that you do Muhler. :flowers:

And that's it, folks.

The last scans have been uploaded.

A final note: Scans that does not show Mary, are photos taken by her.

Eml

Thank you so much Muhler. The photographs are beautiful and many of them so natural. Many thanks for your time.

Thank you so very much Muhler! What a gift!!!

Back
Top Bottom