HM Queen Elizabeth II​ - Rest In Peace
The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-06-2022, 09:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

"Courtiers, The Hidden Power Behind The Crown" by Valentine Low (2022)

Valentine Low of The Times has a book coming out.

He says it will deal with the cloud over Andrew, and Harry and Meghan’s exit from the Royal Family.

He says he is a bit annoyed with Prince Harry … he had to rush his own a bit, under pressure from his publisher, due to Harry’s book also being soon to come out.

He jokes that he and the Prince could do the breakfast show circuit together when it’s time to hit the promotion trail … Harry saying how bad everything was, and he, Mr Low, saying how much fun Harry used to be.

Mr Low is the journalist who covered the bullying stories that came from her Palace staff against Meghan.

He was on “60 Minutes Australia” a week ago and said that the Duchess’ lawyers sent him the longest legal letter he’s ever received, full of bluster.

He, Mr Low, didn’t back down and says he hasn’t heard from them since.

This may be an interesting book, given that angle.

Here’s a link with the cover and some details:

https://www.hachette.com.au/valentine-low/courtiers

Old 08-06-2022, 10:19 PM
Aristocracy

This book does sound very interesting, I think I will give it a try when it comes out. Thanks for sharing this SunLion.

Old 08-06-2022, 11:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori138 View Post
This book does sound very interesting, I think I will give it a try when it comes out. Thanks for sharing this SunLion.

Yes Lori138, I wonder if this will be some sort of vehicle for the ďPalace FourĒ Ö who volunteered to take the witness stand in the trial that didnít eventuate Ö or for the staff who felt bullied, and want to rebuff the claims in the Winfrey interview.

Time will tell of course.

Mr Low comes across well in interviews, but maybe Iím swayed by his posh voice!
Old 08-07-2022, 06:07 AM
Serene Highness

This sounds interesting. I don't know how he is structuring the book but the courtier that I am most interested in is Angela Kelly. A thought that I have had for a while is that in future decades her relationship with Queen Elizabeth II may be remembered in a similar way to John Brown's relationship to Queen Victoria, not the Mrs. Brown type stuff, but a staffer who developed a close relationship with the monarch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Lion View Post
Yes Lori138, I wonder if this will be some sort of vehicle for the ďPalace FourĒ Ö who volunteered to take the witness stand in the trial that didnít eventuate Ö or for the staff who felt bullied, and want to rebuff the claims in the Winfrey interview.
Were all four willing to testify? I could be misremembering but I recall that there were stories that the witnesses who were gung ho to testify and then stories that the witnesses did not want to testify, and I reconciled the contradiction in my head that not all four had the same sentiments, some wanted to testify and others did not.
Old 08-07-2022, 06:12 AM
Heir Presumptive

I'm not sure what I think about this book. To some extent, the Royals are fair game for books, but the "courtiers" are just employees doing their job, and that doesn't really include being written about by a third party. It's not very clear whether or not any of them have actually spoken to the author.
Old 08-07-2022, 04:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

I assumed the book would deal more with those high-level staff who actually advise and guide the monarchy Queen Claude and Alison H, who keep it on track.

Other staff, while in close contact with various Royals … Angela Kelly to the Queen, Michael Fawcett to Prince Charles, Paul Burrell to Diana … they didn’t occur to me as courtiers, but as employees.

I had the impression it will be more about the power behind the throne, those who support the institution above any support for a Royal and their ego or foibles.
Old 08-08-2022, 07:18 AM
Heir Presumptive

Angela Levin's got a book about Camilla coming out, and there's another Omid Scobie one coming, plus Harry's book ... it just seems to be one after another at the moment. Just hoping that they're not all mud-slinging.
Old 08-08-2022, 07:37 AM
Imperial Majesty

It is very uncivil and unpolite and ungrateful to be -or have been- in a loyal service to persons and then blab-blab-blab-blab (for money eventually) about said persons.
Old 08-08-2022, 09:13 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
It is very uncivil and unpolite and ungrateful to be -or have been- in a loyal service to persons and then blab-blab-blab-blab (for money eventually) about said persons.
Some Courtiers over the years who have had bones to pick with certain family members have told information to members of the press so it’s not that shocking.
Old 08-10-2022, 12:13 PM
Serene Highness

Amazon Prime in Canada is broadcasting the two seasons of The Great: a highly entertaining if historically inaccurate version of the life of Catherine the Great of Russia. I have been watching with great enjoyment and can highly recommend, if you can stand unadulterated violence, sex and swearing…))-
Old 09-23-2022, 05:59 PM
Heir Apparent

The first excerpt of this book is out in the times and it will be everywhere and likely described as ďexplosiveĒ in most cases.

Iíve just read it. If half the behavior described in it is true, it contributes quite a lot to understanding why things have gone the way they have with regard to the Sussex couple.
Old 09-23-2022, 06:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

"Courtiers, The Hidden Power Behind The Crown" by Valentine Low (2022)

Agreed.

This actually is explosive. And very very detailed. The staff talked. I canít overstate how badly Harry and Meghan come off across the board. It explains a lot though.

Given what was said and how litigious the Sussexes are- I would think the lawyers were very thorough in their review of this book.
Old 09-23-2022, 06:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin9 View Post
Agreed.

This actually is explosive. And very very detailed. The staff talked. I canít overstate how badly Harry and Meghan come off across the board. It explains a lot though.

Given what was said and how litigious the Sussexes are- I would think the lawyers were very thorough in their review of this book.

That was my thought too. Valentine Low is also Oxford educated and works for The Times rather than one of the tabloids. Heís much more difficult to discredit and I would presume his work is of higher journalistic caliber than similar offerings.

Iíve already ordered my copy, and will be following the stories out of this with a lot of interest.
Old 09-23-2022, 06:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Can someone not archive the excerpt so we can judge for ourselves?
Old 09-23-2022, 06:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinsara View Post
Can someone not archive the excerpt so we can judge for ourselves?

A ďpleaseĒ would have been nice, but sure, Iíll do the work.

https://archive.ph/DyX3B
Old 09-23-2022, 07:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
The first excerpt of this book is out in the times and it will be everywhere and likely described as ďexplosiveĒ in most cases.

Iíve just read it. If half the behavior described in it is true, it contributes quite a lot to understanding why things have gone the way they have with regard to the Sussex couple.

I've just read the first excerpt and I agree that "explosive" is an apt description.
Old 09-23-2022, 07:24 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
That was my thought too. Valentine Low is also Oxford educated and works for The Times rather than one of the tabloids. Heís much more difficult to discredit and I would presume his work is of higher journalistic caliber than similar offerings.

Iíve already ordered my copy, and will be following the stories out of this with a lot of interest.
I havenít bought a book on modern royalty in ten years or more, but it took me about two minutes after reading the except in The Times to check Amazon, realize I couldnít wait until the 2023 North American release, check how to get it delivered from the UK when itís released there, and order it. The writing and depth of reporting seems to be a cut above the usual offerings, and if the level of detail in the excerpt holds true for the entire book then it should be an informative as well as enjoyable read.
Old 09-23-2022, 07:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelot23ca View Post
I havenít bought a book on modern royalty in ten years or more, but it took me about two minutes after reading the except in The Times to check Amazon, realize I couldnít wait until the 2023 North American release, check how to get it delivered from the UK when itís released there, and order it. The writing and depth of reporting seems to be a cut above the usual offerings, and if the level of detail in the excerpt holds true for the entire book then it should be an informative as well as enjoyable read.

Iím in the US and Iíve ordered a copy from Waterstones, as I have for previous books released in the UK before the U.S.

Theyíre good about delivery!
Old 09-23-2022, 07:49 PM
Serene Highness

I ordered my copy from Book Depository. Free delivery worldwide.

https://www.bookdepository.com/
Old 09-23-2022, 08:04 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
A ďpleaseĒ would have been nice, but sure, Iíll do the work.

https://archive.ph/DyX3B
Thank you for posting. It is very interesting but this section relies a lot on anonymous sources. I'm uncomfortable with launching such a serious attack using unnamed sources because it is hard to disprove, if the person is innocent. On the other hand, Harry and Meghan have made very vague attacks on the royal family that are hard to disprove.