"Carl XVI Gustaf - The Reluctant Monarch" by T. Sjöberg (2010) & other books of T.S.

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A lot of times judges and jurors are influenced or swayed by public opinion. They deny it but they are. The record speaks for itself.

But none of us had hoped that judges and jurors have been replaced with gossip columnists...!!!???
It doesn't matter what we are hoping for. No one looks good after a trial in regards to gossip and lies, be it in front of jurors or in the press.

I'm perhaps naive

A lot of times judges and jurors are influenced or swayed by public opinion. They deny it but they are. The record speaks for itself.

I think it's very different in different countries. When prosecutors are elected and there are those who get campaign money so it might be different than in the formal qualifications to decide? In an ideal world, the goddess of justice, Justitia, blindfolded. It will symbolize the equality of all the laws, therefore, that the court can not see who gets to the right. Balance Libra stands for justice, and the sword is a symbol of power. I choose, romantic as I am, to believe in a perfect world ... :innocent:

Lack of evidence

It doesn't matter what we are hoping for. No one looks good after a trial in regards to gossip and lies, be it in front of jurors or in the press.

There is a big difference between justice done in court and the ruthless persecution by the tabloid press for exposing celebrities. A trial based on existing evidence presented. It is not enough to claim that they heard anything since it can be called hearsay. To lie means that you can receive punishment for perjury.

If I, an ordinary citizen, had been featured in the same manner as King Carl Gustav, without evidence, it would undoubtedly led to the author convicted of libel and giving me proper redress public and a huge amount of damages. In Sweden it is forbidden to write defamatory statements without refutation of "ordinary citizens" - but it's fine to say the same things about the Head of State. Is not it strange?

(I'm not as familiar with the legal terminology in English language and I apologize if this is the wrong word I use).

:previous:
Libel is the correct word. :flowers: Libel is written defamation; slander is spoken.

But, if this book were about an "ordinary citizen," wouldn't that citizen have to sue in court before the author was convicted of anything? I'm not familiar with Swedish law, but I would assume that just writing something bad about an ordinary citizen wouldn't get you in trouble - the citizen would have to initiate some sort of legal action.

And isn't the King allowed to sue for libel as well? If not, then I agree it's weird and unfair. But I would think that the King, if he chose to, could sue over defamatory statements, and win his case if the statements were indeed false?

In the U.S., anybody can sue over libel. In order to win, you have to prove the statement was false and that it caused you harm. Public figures must prove both these things, as well as that the author was trying to cause harm with the statement. While there is an additional level required from a public figure, there is nothing preventing one from winning a libel case.

Are public figures like the King really not able to do so in Sweden?

Last edited by a moderator:

And isn't the King allowed to sue for libel as well? If not, then I agree it's weird and unfair. But I would think that the King, if he chose to, could sue over defamatory statements, and win his case if the statements were indeed false?

He can sue. There was an announcement from the court shortly after the book came out that he would not.

When it comes to gossip at this level the King cannot win. Like most ordinary people I am sure that he has made some unwise decisions and possibly even committed adultary. A public airing in court however, regardless of the outcome, would not only hurt the members of the SRF it would inevidably drag every single one of them through the mud in the witness stand thus giving the scandal rags a feast so rich as has never been seen before. It would also do irreprable damage not only to the monarchy of Sweden but could precipitate a constitutional crises for the nation.

So, unlike an ordinary citizen, the King has no choice but to swallow the bile and carry on as if nothing has happened. Not only is "the truth" irrelevant, but it was the first casualty of this war. And be under no illusions, not only is this war, but a war he could never win in open court!

To “Esmeralda", "Maura724" and "MARG"

Tank You for an intersting discussion!

First, one must remember that His Majesty the King and Crown Princess can not be prosecuted in an ordinary court in accordance with the Swedish Constitution. They are "immune".

“Esmeralda: He can sue. There was an announcement from the court shortly after the book came out that he would not.”

Had the book been published in another country (original release), it is no doubt that the royal family had sued the publisher. Compare the writings in Germany against Princess Madeleine - the royal family sued the publishers and won it! In Sweden, then the whole media debate stifled all that the Royal Family do if you started a legal process and our Royal Court had been blocked by the issue for years.

"Maura724: Are public figures like the King really not able to do so in Sweden?"

Sweden have a state-appointed legal department that monitors the press, ethics (the Press Ombudsman - PO helps people who feel exposed to unwarranted publicity damage by what has been written about them in the newspapers ...)"
An "ordinary citizen" does not have to run a goal, but there is a single notification to the PO. "Marg:s" writing is very much consistent with my view of wiev. The only thing that would be achieved is more dirty tabloids and it will be like Don Quiote - a fight against windmills ...

"MARG: So, unlike an ordinary citizen, the King has no choice but to swallow the bile and carry on as if nothing has happened."

"Marg:s" writing is very much consistent with my point of view. The only thing that would be achieved is more dirty tabloids and it will be like Don Quiote - a fight against windmills ...

Last edited:
Very interesting indeed. It just gets murkier and murkier.

Would love to read the book in English

I've read it in German, and there is nothing in it that hasn't been reported in by the press already when the book came out. :ermm:

I've read it in German, and there is nothing in it that hasn't been reported in by the press already when the book came out. :ermm:

Indeed,it's something for sensation creatures with nothing else at their hands,or minds,then to revel in nonsense.It's all old news,but hey,who
cares these days,there are always those easily fooled and they fill pockets....:whistling::p

Their book caused great scandal and perhaps the greatest crisis of confidence in the monarchy in modern times.
In "The Reluctant Monarch", the king and his closest friends are singled out as a wildly partying gang who visit black clubs with criminals and strippers - and who get "coffee girls" delivered after dinner.
Now, more than ten years later, the authors tell in a new podcast for the first time about how royal friends should have tried to stop the book.
- The core is that the men of power have never had to take responsibility for their actions, says co-author Tove Meyer, who believes that the book may have received a different reception if it came now, after metoo.
The director of the press department Margareta Thorgren says:
- We have no comment on a book that was published more than ten years ago, nor on a new podcast whose content we do not know.
Så försökte vänner till kungen stoppa boken ”Den motvillige monarken”

Their book caused great scandal and perhaps the greatest crisis of confidence in the monarchy in modern times.

In "The Reluctant Monarch", the king and his closest friends are singled out as a wildly partying gang who visit black clubs with criminals and strippers - and who get "coffee girls" delivered after dinner.

Now, more than ten years later, the authors tell in a new podcast for the first time about how royal friends should have tried to stop the book.

- The core is that the men of power have never had to take responsibility for their actions, says co-author Tove Meyer, who believes that the book may have received a different reception if it came now, after metoo.

The director of the press department Margareta Thorgren says:

- We have no comment on a book that was published more than ten years ago, nor on a new podcast whose content we do not know.

Funny how all this is dragged up during the promotion of one of the writers new book... or not.

[...]

I also wonder about that, but comparable allegations regarding the king emeritus of Spain in relation to the Spanish security services seem to be attracting less coverage than the investigations into his finances.

Funny how all this is dragged up during the promotion of one of the writers new book... or not.

I think it is normal that authors discuss their previous works when promoting new material.

I think it is normal that authors discuss their previous works when promoting new material.
True, but when the spin around the promotion campaign mentions the previous book more than the new book and it's very serious subject it all smells of pure speculation to make some money. Unfortunately for the authors the reporting about the scandal the new book has "uncovered" was big for a few days and then disappeared.

Last edited:
Nonsense book,the umptiest,well,article in bookform,on HM....Not worthy as a Christmas present.

About this at TV4 News morning today.
"The scandal book "Carl XVI Gustaf - The Reluctant Monarch" about the King of Sweden struck like a bomb. Now the background to the book will be the main subject in the new podcast "Motiv". Entertainment reporter Malin Collin recalls how the royal friends tried to stop the revelations in the book and asks the question of whether king can be the world's worst profession."
Kung = världens sämsta yrke

The word "scandal" is quite inflatoir. For every little unimpressive fart of any royal, in Sweden or elsewhere, the wore "scandal" is used. Pffff....

Thomas Sjöberg, one of the writers of "Carl XVI Gustaf - The Reluctant Monarch", publishes on 1st November a new book
"Chefen - berättelsen om en skandal" (The Boss - the Story of a scandal")

This is the story behind the story. The Boss shows what happens when the highest social and economic power is challenged -- and how its network moves to defend itself. First, they try to stop book publishing and, when that fails, lower the authors' credibility. With the support of unique recordings and documentation, the circumstances surrounding the royal scandal are now put in a completely new light.
Chefen – Thomas Sjöberg – Inbunden _ Akademibokhandeln
(..)

Svensk Damtidning's editor-in-chief Johan T Lindwall remembers how what was supposed to be a royal super year in 2010, with the wedding of Victoria and Daniel, ended in disaster.
Now the same disaster can happen again. A royal super year 2023, the King celebrates 50 years on the throne and the queen turns 80 in December. And then there will be a new scandalous book about the King.
"The reluctant monarch" stirred up strong feelings in the King's social circle. When the new book is released on November 1, there will be concern among the King's friends about what is written. According to Lindwall's information, there is now panic in the King's gang. Everyone wants to know what is in the book, what will come out this time. Everyone is terrified of what will happen. What the King himself thinks, or knows about the book, there is no information yet. But there will surely be a statement from the court in the future.
Johan T Lindwall_ Det råder panik i kungens grabbgäng nu _*Svensk Dam

Svensk Damtidning has contacted the Royal Court for a comment.
Svensk Damtidning avslöjar_ Nu släpps ny skandalbok om kungen _*Svensk Dam

Last edited by a moderator:
It's interesting. This has surely been in the works for a while, so why not announce it earlier this year?

The implication is that news from the jubilee would have managed to overshadow it. That, or there was some kind of deal somewhere not to announce until this relatively quieter moment.

The director of the court's information department Margareta Thorgren says to Svensk Damtidning that she does not know about the new book "Chefen".
The court did not know about the book?
- No.
The court is given the opportunity to comment on the upcoming release.
- We can't do that because we don't know about it.
Hovets svar om nya skandalboken_ ”Känner inte till” _*Svensk Dam

With he circle of the king 'terrified' and 'in panic' one would imagine the revelations will be of the order that there were some criminal activities and are about to get caught by the great investigator Mr Sjöberg. The previous book only revealed society gossip but nothing serious IIRC?

Last edited:
BUNTE has a long article about it, obviously the second book sheds some light on the circumstances of the publishing of the first book, promising proof of a cover up that could bring the King in serious difficulties.
The whole issue really is dubious, some people involved died under mysterious circumstances, the club owner Noppe Lewenhaupt and the pimp Mille Markovic. It seems that the King surrounded himself with shady people to indulge himself in private clubs with pretty ladies.

True or not, it will get embarrassing no question.

The whole issue really is dubious, some people involved died under mysterious circumstances, the club owner Noppe Lewenhaupt and the pimp Mille Markovic.
How disgusting to use the suicide of Count Lewenhaupt and the murder of a known criminal to score some points in a book with the clear agenda of discrediting the King and through him the monarchy.

Back
Top Bottom