"Carl XVI Gustaf - The Reluctant Monarch" by T. Sjöberg (2010) & other books of T.S.

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Camilla Henemark will be interviewed in the German talk show "Lanz" (ZDF) tonight: PPE Agency

König Carl Gustaf: Jetzt beichtet seine Geliebte ALLES! - BUNTE

She claims that she met the king at a private dinner party, close to christmas and that they had mutual friends. Friends that the king knows since he went to school. She calls him charming, sweet, funny etc. She claims that she has a great respect for the queen and that she feels sorry for her (not enough respect to stay home and keep her mouth shut though :ohmy:). She also said that she is not a prostitute.

It seems that the story is bigger in Germany than in Sweden.

König Carl Gustaf: Jetzt beichtet seine Geliebte ALLES! - BUNTE

She claims that she met the king at a private dinner party, close to christmas and that they had mutual friends. Friends that the king knows since he went to school. She calls him charming, sweet, funny etc. She claims that she has a great respect for the queen and that she feels sorry for her (not enough respect to stay home and keep her mouth shut though :ohmy:). She also said that she is not a prostitute.

It seems that the story is bigger in Germany than in Sweden.

No, prostitutes tend to be discreet.

I think (my German is rusty) she also says she wasn't in love with him and that people are furious with her. She was surprised that the affair 'came to light'. I don't understand why she's talking about it now rather than nearly 2 decades before. Is there a link to the full interview? Though I'm not completely sure I want to watch it.

Last edited:
When they are paid for it. :whistling: If someone pays better they tend to speak. She got some money from Expressen for the interview, and even though this is ZDF, I don't think she was there "for free".

While I still think that ones private life should be kept private, I don't feel one bit sorry for her or the king. They made their choice and this is what can happen if you have a few old skeletons hanging in your closet.

As I am German and listened to the link (thanks, Marengo) , I would like to give a hort overview about the messages.

Camilla did not "say" much, she always tried to "talk around" -- maybe because she felt ashamed today, maybe she does not want to say everything, as she seems to intend writing her own book.

In general she said, that she met the king the first time at a party with mutual friends. They talked about daily issues first. Then they met more often -- whereas she never called the king by herself, there was always people in between. It seems, the king called her, when he wanted to see her. She did not give more feedback about this party and how the affair continued, except, that "the 90´s were hot party times with a lot of alcohol". Nevertheless according to her, the king did nothing illegal. She as well as the author of the scandal book were convinced, that the Queen and the Royal Family knew about the affair.
But she made clear 2 times, that she did not join "the other parties" of the king (i.e. the ones in the scandal clubs), as she was no prostitute, she did not receive andy money and during this time she was at the peak of her career, so she did not need any money.
Asked, whether she loved the king, her answer was: he is a very special person, with a lot of humor, she was very impressed and doted about him, but she did not love him, because this requires daily living-together, and this was not what they did.
After the question, whether the affair lasted a year, or longer, she did not give a clear answer (sounded like the affair lasted longer). But she said, she stopped the affair, as more and more people knew about them 2, also some friends of the Royal Couple. And she then wanted to finish the affair, as she had too much respect of the Queen to continue the affair.

The author as well as Camilla said, that they suffered from much negative comments from the (Swedish) people, as most of them feel uncomfortable getting such an inside view of a totally different view of the king .... and a lot of symphathy for the Royal Family. Camilla repeated several times, that she has great respect for the Queen and that she loves the Royal family and watched the Wedding of CP Victoria, crying like a dog, because it was so romantic.

One reaction of the German Moderator, was great, he has asked Camilla (after her praise of Queen Silvia in particular) now you are giving the impression to apply for beatification, all in all, why then you do it, having an affair. She replied, the 90s were different times, a lot of parties and alcohol and she has get rid of this life long time ago and is living a completely differnt live now.

Bye Bine​

Thanks Bine :flowers: I saw it too.

There must be something wrong with my speakers, beacuse all I could hear Camilla Henemark say were a lot of poor excuses. :ermm:

To go on about how much she respect Queen Silvia and the SRF in general, is a lot of nonsense.
If she really did she would keep her mouth shut. She didn't, ergo she does not respect Queen Silvia.
To say otherwise is hypocricy.

Not any more with every tabloid willing to pay a small fortune for a quick story. I don't see the reason to confirm or deny the story. Unless a particular law was broken, or the author had definitive proof...she could have said Nothing and all of this would have been "alleged."

And I agree, if she respected the Queen she would have kept her mouth shut. But after all, if the King didn't respect his marriage vows...why she be held to a higher standard?

Last edited:
Not any more with every tabloid willing to pay a small fortune for a quick story. I don't see the reason to confirm or deny the story. Unless a particular law was broken, or the author had definitive proof...she could have said Nothing and all of this would have been "alleged."

And I agree, if she respected the Queen she would have kept her mouth shut. But after all, if the King didn't respect his marriage vows...why she be held to a higher standard?

That depends on the class of prostitutes.
The really well paid, know it better to be discrete than to earn a quick but after all finite sum of money once. Bad for any future business...

I don't hold the King less responsible for the affair, the difference is that it happened in the 90's and for all I know he may not have had an affair since then. - I know! :whistling:
However that's between him and his family.

It's the blatant hypocrisy of Camilla Hedemark that annoys me. - And for that matter the authors as well.
The taxpayers have a right to know... Please!

Who is worse? Those who have faults or those who want's to earn money on other people's faults?

Well, in the US a lot recent celeb scandals have been with different levels of Ladies of the Night. Not to go way OFF topic. Not sure how it is in Europe.

And I agree to a certain extent about Camilla but let's not forget that the King is Married. Was Camilla married? If so, I would say the same about her. Someone stood before God and promised fidelity. That means you dont get to sleep with other people. If you marriage is not working...get counseling...legally separate or get divorced. Its very black and white but that's how I think about it.

He is the King and if you are going to have affairs try to be a little more discreet so that your wife and/or country doesn't find out.

See, this is where I just can't see eye to eye with a lot of people here. My answer to Muhler's question is definitely "those who have faults." I suspect a lot of members would give the other answer. I just can't see how, even if one agrees this should have remained private, it's worse to talk about cheating than it is to be the one cheating. :flowers:

Here's another thought...if you dont' want a scandalous book written about you...don't give people the material to write such a book. Of course, in the King's position a lot could be made up...but then you could denounce it couldn't you?

Of course looking at Phillipe of Belgium...it doesn't hurt to be boring. But Charles of Wales is boring (too me anyway) and he had an affair. Its always the "quiet" ones.

Here's another thought...if you dont' want a scandalous book written about you...don't give people the material to write such a book. Of course, in the King's position a lot could be made up...but then you could denounce it couldn't you?

Of course looking at Phillipe of Belgium...it doesn't hurt to be boring. But Charles of Wales is boring (too me anyway) and he had an affair. Its always the "quiet" ones.

King Carl Gustav, in my opinion, acted stupid and very immature. Not least for a man in his position.
If you do something like that you deserve to (pardon me) have your butt roasted and I have no pity what so ever for him. Let there be no doubt about that.

However, I feel his friends let him down and I feel the Swedish government let him down, if they did not strongly advise him to think about what he was doing. - If the King was warned but deliberatly decided to ignore those warnings, then he had it coming.

It's the hypocrisy displayed by those who revealed what went on that I feel contempt for.
It's the justifications they have used, that has my eyes rolling way back in the head.

Had the authors and Camilla Hedemark instead said:
A) I think what the King has done is plain wrong and immoral and that's why I go public.
- Or
B) It's a good story and I need the money.
- Or
C) The King is a hypocrite and that's why I expose him.

That's honest talk, even though I may not agree.
But go on about "I like the King, but...". "I respect Queen Silvia and her children sooo much, but...".
That's not something I can respect.

Last edited:
Camilla did not "say" much, she always tried to "talk around" -- maybe because she felt ashamed today, maybe she does not want to say everything, as she seems to intend writing her own book.​

She indeed didn't seem too eager to be there and somewhat distant or even sad. Of course it would have been nicer if she didn't appear on television but on the other end we do not know her financial situation and she does have a child to raise of course. And she was not the one who was married, the king was so it was his responsibility towards Silvia.

Considering she made several references to the wild 90-ties I can imagine where her money from the pop group went.

Today if a monarch has an affair, he risks being exposed. No one is quiet about things like that anymore. That's the risk you take when you engage in this type of behavior. I would imagine no one thought that any of these alleged affairs would ever come to light in a very public way. I would imagine if Camilla was doing well financially or had a good paying job, she probably would say nothing or deny that the affair took place.

I don't recall the 1990's being a wild decade compared to the 1980's.

Camilla henemark

How credible is Camilla Henemark really? The former Army Of Lover member Camilla Henemark alleged love affair with King raises a series of questions:

1st Henemark credibility damaged by the Expressen allegedly paid her SEK 200 000 for interview.

2nd Henemark has previously lied about his abuse of drugs.

3rd Has many years had the disease manic depression.

Camilla is not exactly what I associate with a protector of the truth. She FLATLY DENY for example, until the very end that she had a drug problem for a few years ago even though she was caught with drugs in a handbag.

The author has a "golden opportunity" because the King will never comment on Camilla's data.

After weighing for and against, I conclude:
I guess I have to agree with that one of his friends said in a statement: That this woman would have been the king's mistress and falls on its face.

Last edited:
I don't recall the 1990's being a wild decade compared to the 1980's.

:lol: I was in my late teens and early 20s in the 1990s. I don't recall any wild-ness going on!

From the remarks regarding her interview it sounds like she feels bad that she has to "sell" the story and talk about it after all this time. But if she really had respect for the Queen and the rest of the SRF she would have said "No." in the first place. I can see where Princess Madeliene may be upset with her father (rumours), if he forced her to break off her engagement to Jonas for his cheating, having cheated on his own wife.

Chances are if Jonas cheated on Madeline before they were married, he would continue to do so afterward. He got caught, plain and simple. The King affairs didn't become public knowledge until recently.

If the rumors were correct and Jonas did father a child, the child's mother would probably be taking him to court for child support. I don't know what the laws are in Sweden regarding this (I would imagine if it was proven that he was the father, then he would be required to pay child support). If he didn't pay it or it wasn't paid, then he would risk being exposed, even if it was kept secret. When you get married, this is not something that you would want to have to deal with.

I have yet to see this story in any American media.

In Sweden, you do not go to court to get maintenance. Displays a paternity test that someone is a biological father of a child care social insurance system to ensure that the custodian to pay maintenance. Even the Father may be guardians and then mother to pay maintenance. One can also have joint custody and when the children live alternately with their parents.

Last edited by a moderator:
How credible is Camilla Henemark really? The former Army Of Lover member Camilla Henemark alleged love affair with King raises a series of questions:
If she was lying, why isn't the King denying anything? I don't admire her for telling her story to the whole world and the book may not be 100% true but in my opinion, the King is at least partially responsible for giving the authors 'fuel'.

If she was lying, why isn't the King denying anything? I don't admire her for telling her story to the whole world and the book may not be 100% true but in my opinion, the King is at least partially responsible for giving the authors 'fuel'.

The authors call the book "Biography". There are literary demands for a book to be called a biography. The requirements are not met. HM the King has certainly been enough media adviser to help and then had to learn how to quickly take the edge off the rumors. I do not think it is done by the King himself says as much. Important are: King's friends would not recognize the contents of the book and refusing to data.

Publishers of the book

The book is intended as a biography, but also contains information on claims only supported by anonymous sources called "A", "B", "C", etc. A biography must , to be called a biography, have safe referencing. Otherwise, anyone can say anything about any man you want to smear and revile. We have been spared the kind of journalism in Sweden up until now.

The publication of a book about the king's private life is a decision that most publishers would naturally think one extra time. Nordstedts is one of the larger and more significant publishers in Sweden. Their non-fiction book publishers Per Faustino says that he himself would not have taken on such a book. "When it's only gossip that remains, and the book does not have a bearing on anything higher then it is too thin. Even if it is within the law, a publisher has to wonder what it would be."

It may be added that a co-author, Tove Meyer, has been suspended from a position at the Swedish Radio, which book launch is seen as a journalistic conflict of interest.

It becomes irrelevant whether the book is called a biography or not. The King has been involved in some less than exemplary behavior. Too many people has know about this for many years. It is now general public knowledge. Just as the King said during his meeting with the press during a recent hunt, ...time to look forward and turn to a new page... (paraphrased)

The King's hardest job now is to patch up the relationship with Queen Silvia and that will only happen behind closed doors. They are both very skilled professionals and will carry on with their duties no matter how they feel. Most Swedes have moved on and consider the book just another blip on the radar.

Witchcraft trials

All citizens of a free democratic country has the right to request that others do not go around with untruths and gossip without evidence. King Carl Gustav can not be excluded. Whether you believe in gossip or not, it's not the one who was accused of having done anything to prove his innocence, but existing evidence lies with those who come with accusations and allegations. We do not have the system in the Western democracies that the person accused of something must submit evidence of their innocence, but there are those who accuse the others who will manage the demonstration. So does every Western constitutional states. The prosecutor must have evidence that is to prosecute. (See sources in a biography). How would it look if we could all be vulnerable to unsubstantiated rumors without any source was? How would our society look like? It would soon be back to medieval witchcraft trials, and there we do not want again.

We are all vulnerable to unsubstantiated rumors and innuendos. In a perfect world everyone is truthful and honest. In the real world that is not always so. Protection of the innocent under the legal systems is never a one-way process.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've read many books on royalty, mostly British royalty. I could tell which books that were more official than others just by the contents of the book. I would imagine if the King Carl Gustaf had commissioned someone to write his biography it would read a lot differently than the unauthorized biography written about him. I would imagine these two books would be very different even though they are about the same person.

It's doubtful that the King if he did some of the things alleged in the book would volunteer this information to the public or the person commissioned to write a book about him. If the information was proven or so overwhelming that you couldn't sidestep the issue, then he probably would have to address the issue.

We are all vulnerable to unsubstantiated rumors and innuendos. In a perfect world everyone is truthful and honest. In the real world that is not always so. Protection of the innocent under the legal systems is never a one-way process.

But none of us had hoped that judges and jurors have been replaced with gossip columnists...!!!???

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom