Books on William and Catherine (Duke and Duchess of Cambridge)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From what I've read, many aristocratic daughters seemed to be used as pawns married off for social or financial reasons. I think that would be frightening, growing up knowing that you might end up being married off to someone that one didn't particularly like and who might be much older.:ermm:

9 years old...... that´s terrible. I have the same background minus film stars that Blondie has but it makes me grieve to think how many of the aristocratic families made money from poor little children down a mine, mills etc.
The women in the aristocratic families didn´t have it that easy either in a different way, on my husband´s family tree there is a young girl (daughter of a Count) who married at 19 had 5 children became a widow and married again and had 15 children.
From the dates that are provided I think she died of the 20th......
Buy a book about Kate´s relatives, no thanks.

And not only that Mermaid, especially among the royals, someone you had never met (or perhaps would never want to meet).

Ella Kay or whomever knows - the Hello magazine articles and the new book about Ms Middleton. Who is doing the taking? Friends, relatives, or Kate?:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd personally rule out Kate for either - the discretion business again. I'm sure others would disagree with me, but that's my take. I don't know who (if anyone) talked to Judy Wade for the Hello! article. Some were arguing that all of the information in the piece could have been found somewhere else, so nothing was an "exclusive" bit from a source.

If her Mail piece is any indication, Claudia Joseph talked to some distant relatives (great-aunts, second cousins, etc.). It seemed like perhaps the relatives in question had possibly not even met Kate (based on some of the text of the article).

in all fairness i will say that perhaps kate "implied" her permission for these people to talk to the media (i haven't read any of these articles so i'm not sure who is talking or what was said) but even members of the royal family have given their "consent" for their inner cirlce to talk to interviewers. i guess what i mean is that for anyone that says either of these ladies is encouraging all this attention i think they've shown by virtue of the fact that they haven't done anything to bring down the wrath of BP that they're making the "the firm" pretty happy.

William and kate 3 new books coming out 2009

1. WILLIAM AND KATE THE LOVE STORY – PUBLISHED: MARCH 2009
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_w_h_?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=robert+jobson
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kate-William-Robin-Nunn/dp/1862058431/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1233863284&sr=1-4
2. CELEBRATING A ROYAL ROMANCE WILLIAM AND KATE
- PUBLISHED MAY 2009
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kate-Middleton-Princess-Waiting/dp/1845964209/ref=pd_sim_b_1
3. KATE MIDDLETON PRINCESS IN WAITING PUBLISHED: APRIL 2009

:nonono:

Even though I'm sure they will get married, I think this overhype of their relationship is too much.

now's a good chance to catch up on what I missed...I have one on Preorder already

I just don't understand why someone would want to write a book before all of the actual interesting stuff happens, the royal wedding drama part (actually I do -- $$$$$). Besides, probably anything they'll write about the couple could already be read on the 'net anyway.

Don't take it so seriously. There's a market out there for royal romance fluff. It there wasn't, these books wouldn't see the light of day. The books will have comparisons between William and Kate's childhoods and will have a great deal to say about Diana. William's sterling military service and exalted destiny will get a run, with the happy conclusion of a forthcoming wedding with handsome prince and radiant bride. Of course it will be filled out with lots of glossy pictures. Any of us could probably piece most of the story together from what we know and from all the stuff we've read over the years.

The market these books are aimed at doesn't possess the same level of detailed interest or knowledge (or cynicism) as we who've been around the Forums for a while have. The books are probably relatively cheap to produce, they'll make enough sales to earn the writers and publishers a reasonable income, and a little while later they will be found in the bargain bins. It's simply modern publishing, and royal fluff books have been around for decades.

As examples, I have a book by Robert Lacey about the Queen Mother titled, of all things, "God Bless Her!" Then there's a book called "Royal Highness...The Royal Child" which is all about the ancestry of "HRH", published while Diana was pregnant but before Prince William was born. Then there's "Portrait of a Princess", the life story of Princess Anne; well, up to the age of twenty that is.

Going back much further, I have a 1936 book called "Our Ambassador King: His Majesty King Edward VIII's Life of Devotion and Service". If anyone thnks royal fluff is new, try this out:

"Throughout the happy home life he enjoyed, he had the full and healthy life of the normal English youth... He has always been eager to learn and ready to glean all possible knowledge about any subject in which he was interested... with amazing energy and determination he has often crowded into a single day a mass of work which would have appalled the majority of his future subjects... he developed into a keen and active man of the world who, while retaining all his boyish cheerfulness, added the full attributes of a man's estate."

And that's just some excerpts from page 1. :D

Last edited:
he developed into a keen and active man of the world who, while retaining all his boyish cheerfulness, added the full attributes of a man's estate."
And that was just excerpts from page 1. :D

Is this a quote from the Edward VIII. book? If so: LOL!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

:previous:

All I can say is goodness gracious me. :ermm::nonono::ermm:

Ah well...at least Lacey has an interesting turn of phrase.:D I think that his early book on Diana, Princess, captures the spirit of 1980 through 1981 beautifully.

As examples, I have a book by Robert Lacey about the Queen Mother titled, of all things, "God Bless Her!"

I presume that there is a market out there for these books or else publishers wouldn’t be interested in them but I don’t understand what they could possible be writing about that their audience haven’t already read in newspapers over the years. :confused:

"Kate: Kate Middleton, Princess in Waiting", Claudia Joseph 2009

"Kate: Kate Middleton, Princess in Waiting", Claudia Joseph 2009

Here is a link to the [URL="http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/images/1845964209/ref=dp_image_z_0?ie=UTF8&n=266239&s=books"]cover[/URL]

Here is a link to a [URL="http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2009/apr/12/kate-middleton-book-review"]review[/URL] dated 12 April 2009
quote:
If there is a Bricks without Straw Award, Claudia Joseph deserves to be on the shortlist. Most of us would find it hard to write 70 words on Kate Middleton. Joseph has managed 70,000, even though she appears to have received no co-operation either from the subject or from Kate's immediate family. Most of these words, it must be said, are either rehashed gobbets of royal history or trawls through the genealogical records of Kate's thunderingly boring forebears, but even so.

The publisher makes some brave boasts: "Claudia Joseph has spoken to members of Kate's family and friends, who have provided an intriguing insight." The reality would appear to be that a few of Kate's distant cousins have provided her with pictures of Kate's grandparents and great-aunts and that, for the rest, Joseph has had to rely on some genealogical researchers, and dear old Google.

also: http://famewatcher.com/2009/03/kate-middletons-family-background.html

"...Whatever the Palace flunkies say about the Middletons, the family lives an enviably comfortable and privileged upper-middle-class lifestyle that far predates Prince William’s courtship of their daughter.Michael and Carole Middleton live in a £1million detached house in rolling countryside in the Home Counties, where they play tennis, ride horses and walk their dog. According to some neighbours, they even own a stake in a successful racehorse.

The couple are affluent enough to have sent all three of their children – Kate, 27, Pippa, 25, and James, 21 – to the elite £27,000-a-year public school Marlborough College. They have also financed gap years abroad and family holidays in the Caribbean. They have even bought Kate a £780,000 flat in the heart of Chelsea.

However, despite the countless words written about the family, there has remained a mystery. How on earth can a business selling paper plates and party trinkets for a few pounds apiece finance a lifestyle that propelled Kate from her modest childhood home outside Reading to the gilded apartments of the House of Windsor?"

Last edited:
I got the book from my local library yesterday and am really enjoying it. I prefer to make my own mind up and despite some people trashing the book I am enjoying it very much .... glad I do my own thinking and I happen to think the author has put a lot of effort into it. I think the comments of Kate's relatives has made it even more interesting too and the dob of siblings.
-----------------------
Catherine Elizabeth 9 January 1982

At last I have found out more about Kate's siblings from reading Claudia Joseph's book.

Pippa ... read name Philippa born on 6 September 1983

James born on 15 April 1987

(No wonder Catherine and Phillipa are so close coming in 1982 and 1983 respectively!)

Michael Middleton Kate's father was apparently born on 23 June 1949 (not 19th June)

Carole Middleton Kate's mother born on 31 January 1955

Kate parent's married on 21 June 1980

Well well then. Can't wait for this book to surface. That is a wonderful new picture of Kate, foam parties are always fun :)
x

Well well then. Can't wait for this book to surface. That is a wonderful new picture of Kate, foam parties are always fun :)
x

I'm excited about it, too -- I think there will be some great pictures in the book that we've never seen before. If only they'd get on with the engagement announcement so we can get the book, too! :lol:

Yes, we do have a year but at least we know its happening.

William and Kate have been dating for years now and we are still speculating on an engagement.

Do we really know it is happening or is this more press speculation?

I am not convinced that because a book is being delayed and the BBC supposedly has some programme in the works that it necessarily means that anything is happening.

I can understand that the publishers might like to delay the launch of the book until there is an engagement but it still doesn't mean that there will be an engagement - just that the publishers don't want to go to the expense of publishing and then have them split or wait another two or three years as they know they will get a much bigger sale if they wait until they get engaged and then release the book.

It will be interesting to see if :
Robin Nunn new book is released next Tuesday 1 September 09 (Amazon).
http://www.amazon.com/William-Kate-Celebrating-Royal-Romance/dp/1862058431/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1251190429&sr=8-1
· Hardcover: 160 pages
· Publisher: Pavilion (September 1, 2009)
· Language: English
· ISBN-10: 1862058431
· ISBN-13: 978-1862058439
· Shipping Information: View shipping rates and policies
· Amazon.com Sales Rank: #644,216 in Books (See Bestsellers in Books

postscript..added by Warren:
see post #47
- This title has not yet been released as at may 2010.
It is believed the author and publisher are waiting for the engagement announcement.

Ooo that book sounds interesting. Dailymail's going to have a field day. :lol:

At just 128 pages it's on the rather slim side.
Amazon has it at $58.00. A very expensive paperback indeed, maybe it should be $5.80. :D
I note it will be published by Fastbook Publishing. Very apt!

The author has varied interests. Among her other works (all published by Fastbook):
Health Care in the United States
Medical Technology: Applying Innovations
Hospice Care
Oil Spills
Depression
Nudism

I'd suggest Buyer Beware!

- - - -
Prince William and Kate Middleton: United Kingdom's most followed couple [Paperback]

Lydia D. Thomson-Smith (Author)
Price: $58.00
Blurb:

Being a possible heir to the throne, Prince William of Wales has gotten used to the constant presence of media and the all-seeing public eye in his life. The tragic death of his mother prompted an even more intense interest about the prince's personal life. His relationship with Kate Middleton has become a never-ending topic for every tabloid around the world. Recent speculations about whether the couple has or will become engaged have caught the public eye on both sides of the Atlantic. In order to find out more about Prince William's family, education and Kate Middleton ? read this book.

Last edited:
You think a book like this would have a proper front cover, a picture of them even if it were an old one.

It saves having to pay for the use of a copyrighted photograph.
Anyway, the romantics can imagine the cover pic shows Wills 'n Kate, hand in hand, walking into the sunset... :wub:

This book is appearing cheaper and trashier at every look!

Ha! I just noticed the balloon on the book's front cover says:
"High quality content by Wikipedia articles!"

Can you believe it? It's a collection of Wiki pieces! Ab Fab trash.
Members here could put their heads together and easily come up with something better than this.

Last edited:
OMG it's worse than I expected!!!!!

"William's Princess" by Robert Jobson, 2006

"William's Princess: The Love Story that will Change the Royal Family Forever"

by Robert Jobson, 2006

-> cover

"The exclusive account of how a middle class girl stole the heart of a
prince and future King of England - and why the Royal Family will never
be the same again - this book reveals the truth behind the headlines
and media speculation about Prince William and Kate Middleton, and
paints a far-reaching and insightful picture of a monarchy in transition."

Last edited:
William's Princess

I have just read (in a few hours) William's Princess. It doesn't reveal anything new except when the couple broke up. It was because of Prince William wanted a trial separation because the relationship was stale. Ms Middleton did agreed to a separation. The prince meeting other young women found out that Kate was his best choice in a girlfriend. He found out the hard way. The young woman went to the press with their accounts of their time with the prince.

The book was published in 2006 and is informative to me about Prince William will do what he wants WHEN HE WANTS. It also stated that he is very protective of Ms. Middleton. The books is basis for Prince Charles and not Princess Diana. It somewhat blames the Princess for relying on the prince too much, that the prince became her protector. What I got out of this book is that Kate is a good influence on William and a soul mate like the Duchess is to Prince Charles. I think Prince William will marry Ms. Middleton. I love happy endings.:flowers:

Last edited:
Thank you for this review, georgiea. I've been thinking of ordering William's Princess for awhile now, and I'd also like to get Mr. Jobson's book "Harry's War.":flowers:

I have just read (in a few hours) William's Princess.

Back
Top Bottom