The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Old 11-29-2022, 04:26 PM

Books on the Habsburgs

Does anyone know any good non-biased books/videos on the Habsburgs? I know almost nothing about them.
Old 11-29-2022, 05:34 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBob1 View Post
Does anyone know any good non-biased books/videos on the Habsburgs? I know almost nothing about them.
Do you mean the 'original' Habsburgs, that ruled over Austria, Spain and the Netherlands, or the 'modern' Habsburg-Lothringen family that continues to the present day? Plenty of books have been written about both families, and they have been a prolific bunch, so it helps to know who in particular you are interested in. Or which era.
Old 11-29-2022, 05:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBob1 View Post
I haven't read it myself, but "The Habsburgs" by Martyn Rady has gotten excellent reviews.
"A history of the Habsburg empire 1526-1918" by Robert E Kann is a good read as is "The Red Prince" by Timothy Snyder.

I listened to a podcast episode not long ago about the British to get Emperor Karl I out of Austria after WWI that was very interesting:

https://castbox.fm/vb/477260326

If the link doesn't work then look for the Single Malt History episode "The Windsors secret mission to save the Hapsburgs"
Old 11-29-2022, 06:07 PM

The original hapsburgs.
Old 11-29-2022, 06:10 PM

Thank you very much
Old 11-30-2022, 05:27 AM
Imperial Majesty

I have The Habsburgs To Rule the World by Martyn Rady. It is a good book about the original Habsburgs. There are separeate chapters on Holy Roman Emperor Charles V, King Philip II of Spain, and Holy Roman Emperor Ferdinand II.