Books on Portuguese Monarchy

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rchainho

Heir Presumptive
Country
Portugal
The book about the Duke of Bragança
DOM DUARTE, UM HOMEM DE CAUSAS
(trad. Dom Duarte, a man of causes)

Author: CORREIA, PALMIRA
Colection: TEMAS DE HOJE FIGURAS
Editor: DOM QUIXOTE
Language: Portuguese
Price: 12.00 €

In: http://www.fnac.pt

Attachments

• 972-20-2936-3.jpg
    972-20-2936-3.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 326
Last edited by a moderator:
D. Duarte got married 10 years ago (on May 13th, 1995), at the age of 50 years old. Ten years later, the journalist Palmira Correia heard from the heir to the disestablished Portuguese throne about the balance of his married life and about his experience as a delayed father that so much catches his enthusiasm. Dom Duarte equally speaks about his causes, about his connections with the European royal houses, about the trips he has made around the world, as well as his childhood, his parents, the time lived in the exile, his memories of Switzerland (where he was born), along with his experience in the Military College and later the military service in Angola, on active service to the Portuguese Air Force.
Timor, the Democracy conquered after April 25th 1974, the independence of the former colonies, the defence of the environment, mutualism and the traces of the Portuguese culture disseminated around the world are also some of the subjects treated in this book.

It is available in:
http://www.webboom.pt/ficha.asp?ID=110947

Last edited:
I assume the book is only in portuguese?

Marengo said:
I assume the book is only in portuguese?
Yes. It's only in Portuguese...
BeatrixFan said:
Wasn't that the Man from La Mancha?
:D Yes, D. Quijote de la Mancha is the hero of Cervantes' novel... but it's also the name of a Portuguese editor.;)

Did you read the book Elsa? And do you know if it sells well?

I took a glance of it in the library, but I didn't buy it. Actually, it's a short edition (I don't exactly remember how many copies is it, but it's not a big edition). To tell the truth, monarchy is not that popular in Portugal and I believe the book is only bought by a few monarchists and perhaps some other people, who may be curious about what the heir to the throne has to say.
We have strong republican convictions here and, although the royal family is looked with sympathy (especially after the wedding, 10 years ago), the truth is that nobody takes them quite seriously...

Thanks Elsa, I have the same impression. But still, the wedding of Dom Duarte was so magnificent, even compared to crownprinces of reigning houses. And of course the republic is very respectfull to him & invites him to many state events, especially if foreign royalty comes to visit Portugal.

Marengo said:
Thanks Elsa, I have the same impression. But still, the wedding of Dom Duarte was so magnificent, even compared to crownprinces of reigning houses. And of course the republic is very respectfull to him & invites him to many state events, especially if foreign royalty comes to visit Portugal.
You are right, Marengo. Their wedding was a peculiar thing to be seen: the head of a disestablished royal house got married and not only it was attended by the President of the Republic, the Prime Minister and most members of the cabinet, but the whole celebration was turned into a state occasion, with a mega TV live transition and a multitude shouting "Viva o rei"! All this in a country where nobody takes the royal family's pretensions quite seriously... Perhaps that's why they are treated with so much sympathy... they don't represent any danger :cool:

Could anyone recommend some good books on the Portuguese monarchy and its history? Thank you.

There are a few suggestions in the thread of the regicide:
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/733413-post32.html
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/735246-post37.html

You may also take a look at the Royal Library, where's a couple of threads too:
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f61/infantas-portugal-queens-spain-13457.html
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f61/d-duarte-um-homem-de-causas-8297.html

Anyway, are you looking for books translated to English? If so, I suppose you will only get translations for the more historical/academic kind of books...

Last edited:
Thanks for the information. And, yes, I would need books translated into English. Unfortunately, I do not know Portuguese. I know a little Spanish and I have an on-line translator that can help translate Portuguese into English. But that would be a rather daunting task to use the translator to translate a book. Since, I have an interest in Portuguese history (which started from an interest in Spanish history and a growing appreciation of Fado--I really enjoy Ana Moura's singing) I should try to at least learn a little Portuguese. I should stop. This is probably more reply than you were expecting. Again, thanks.:)

O.k. then. I'll search for some good history books and I'll post them here later, o.k.?

For an immediate answer, I'm just able to name a some historical fiction that I know is translated into English. The most obvious one, as far as translations are concerned, is the Nobel Prize José Saramago. I'll recommend “Memorial do Convento” (translated as "Baltasar and Blimunda"). It's not a lecture on history (it's pure fiction), but it's placed in the 18th century and starts with king D. João V ordering the construction of the Convento de Mafra...
There's also a novel about Infante Henry the Navigator, by Frank G. Slaughter. I didn't read it myself, but I found some nice reviews:
Amazon.com: THE MAPMAKER A Novel of the Days of Prince Henry,the Navigator: FRANK G. SLAUGHTER: Books

Anyway, I'll post later... ;)

Last edited:
Books on Portuguese History

Elsa, thanks again for your efforts. I really appreciate it. Actually, I just got two of Jose Saramago's books, The Double and Journey to Portugal: In Pursuit of Portugal's History and Culture. They are next on my reading list. His book on the history and culture of Portugal appears to be a good overview of Portuguese culture. But I am more interested in finding books on Portuguese monarchies specifically. I will also look for the other book by Saramago you recommended.

Actually, I just got two of Jose Saramago's books [...]His book on the history and culture of Portugal appears to be a good overview of Portuguese culture.
Yeah, that one is a very nice too and it's a great tour, not only from a touristic perspective, but also through the "stories behind the places".

As promised, I'll recommend this book, which provides a general view over our history and culture:

Amazon.com: Portugal: A Companion History (Aspects of Portugal S.): Jose Hermano Saraiva,Ian Robertson,Ursula Fonss: Books

For more specific royal insights, these are very good, especially the first one:

Amazon.com: The Making of a Court Society: Kings and Nobles in Late Medieval Portugal: Rita Costa Gomes,Alison Aiken: Books

Amazon.com: King Dinis of Portugal and the Alfonsine Heritage (American University Studies. Series IX, History, Vol 69): Sheila R. Ackerlind: Books

Last edited:
Elsa,
Thank you for the recommendations. I had seen the last two books you suggested on some other site but there was no review or critique of the books so I wasn't sure how good they would be. And since, these books are a little expensive, I didn't want to purchase them unless they would be worth while. :)

Yeah, that one is a very nice too and it's a great tour, not only from a touristic perspective, but also through the "stories behind the places".

As promised, I'll recommend this book, which provides a general view over our history and culture:

Amazon.com: Portugal: A Companion History (Aspects of Portugal S.): Jose Hermano Saraiva,Ian Robertson,Ursula Fonss: Books

Elsa,
I just finished reading Portugal: A Companion History. I found it very helpful, providing a good, quick overview of the history of Portugal. I had one observation about Portugal's history. It seems that when Portugal experienced instability and turmoil, it was because it was attempting to negotiate its way through the conflicts between Spain, France, England and/or the Dutch, or these powers were attempting to pit Portugal against their enemies. No wonder Portugal had such difficult times.

If anyone is interested in Portugal's Asian empire, Renascent Empire? by Glenn Ames provides an in-depth account. I found it very informative and especially enlightening as to how Pedro II's reforms brought about a rebirth of Portugal's Asian interests and standing in regard to other European powers.

When I was in Portugal in 2007 I was very fortunate to run into Isabel Stilwell’s “Filipa de Lencastre, A Rainha que mudou Portugal”. At least two of the most interesting touristic spots in Portugal had this Queen personally involved in their construction: The Mosteiro de Batalha (Batalha Monastery – an impressive Gothic building) an the Sintra National Palace (with its “looking like women’s middle age hat “ chimneys).This book is fantastic and is about Pilippa of Lancaster, eldest daughter of John of Gaunt, 1st Duke of Lancaster, and Blanche of Lancaster, and sister of king Henry IV of England. She became Queen consort of Portugal, getting married to King John I at 28 years old to secure the Anglo-Portuguese Alliance. She was the mother of the 'Illustrious Generation”, the starting point of Portuguese expansion by sea. Filipa was the only English Queen to Portugal as Catarina de Bragança was the only Portuguese Queen of England (she was the subject of a 2008 Stiwell’s book – Catarina de Bragança, A Coragem de uma Infanta Portuguesa que foi Rainha da Inglaterra). It is a pity they haven’t published those books in English and a shame they do not have a Brazilian edition (as far as I know). The author is really a good writer and researcher. I haven’t read the book on Queen Catarina yet, but I’m looking forward to, as well as to read Stilwell’s most recent “ Dona Amélia - A Rainha exilada que deixou o seu coração em Portugal, Queen Consorto of D. Carlos of Portugal. I guess I will have to order them online from a bookshop in Portugal.

My mother-in-law received another book about Queen Amelia as a christmas present of somebody so I was able to have a look at it. Sadly my Portuguese isn't good enough to read & understand a book, but it had some nice pictures. The book is called 'Amelia -Reinha de Portugal' by Eduardo Nobre.
Amélia Rainha de Portugal, de Eduardo Nobre - 9789725891773 - Bulhosa Livreiros

From the same author is also 'Familia Real - album de fotografias'
Casa Real, de Eduardo Nobre - 9789725891124 - Bulhosa Livreiros
I will try to buy it when I am Porto again, during the upcoming christmas holidays. Last time I chose not to buy it as I found it a bit expensive for what it is, but I regretted it.

When I was in Portugal in 2007 I was very fortunate to run into Isabel Stilwell’s “Filipa de Lencastre, A Rainha que mudou Portugal”. At least two of the most interesting touristic spots in Portugal had this Queen personally involved in their construction: The Mosteiro de Batalha (Batalha Monastery – an impressive Gothic building) an the Sintra National Palace (with its “looking like women’s middle age hat “ chimneys).This book is fantastic and is about Pilippa of Lancaster, eldest daughter of John of Gaunt, 1st Duke of Lancaster, and Blanche of Lancaster, and sister of king Henry IV of England. She became Queen consort of Portugal, getting married to King John I at 28 years old to secure the Anglo-Portuguese Alliance. She was the mother of the 'Illustrious Generation”, the starting point of Portuguese expansion by sea. Filipa was the only English Queen to Portugal as Catarina de Bragança was the only Portuguese Queen of England (she was the subject of a 2008 Stiwell’s book – Catarina de Bragança, A Coragem de uma Infanta Portuguesa que foi Rainha da Inglaterra). It is a pity they haven’t published those books in English and a shame they do not have a Brazilian edition (as far as I know). The author is really a good writer and researcher. I haven’t read the book on Queen Catarina yet, but I’m looking forward to, as well as to read Stilwell’s most recent “ Dona Amélia - A Rainha exilada que deixou o seu coração em Portugal, Queen Consorto of D. Carlos of Portugal. I guess I will have to order them online from a bookshop in Portugal.
Hi, where can I find this book, Filipa de Lencastre, A Rainha que mudou Portugal? Thank you.

shirinalzebari, on my #24 post I was refering to Marengo's #20 post.

I am now reading "Vitória de Inglaterra: A Rainha que amou e ameaçou Portugal" (Victoria of England: the Queen who loved and threatened Portugal). Has anyone read this book?

I am now reading "Vitória de Inglaterra: A Rainha que amou e ameaçou Portugal" (Victoria of England: the Queen who loved and threatened Portugal). Has anyone read this book?

Seems to be an interesting book. I haven't read this book but I'd like to read.

It's an interesting book. I've read half of it. The most interesting part to me is the relationship between Victoria&Albert and the portuguese reigning couple, D. Maria and D. Fernando, and their kids. I thought it was a good idea to read this book first, as a kind of an introduction to another one that has the letters exchanged between the two Queens.

King Dinis of Portugal and the Alfonsine Heritage by Sheila R. Ackerlind

The Madness of Queen Maria by Jenifer Roberts
The book is about the life of Queen Regnant Maria I of Portugal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom