Books on Diana, Princess of Wales

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Josefine

Majesty
Country
Sweden
Last edited by a moderator:
I like Anne Edward's bio (can't remember name; think it's Ever After) and Sally Bedell's "Diana: In Search of Herself" and one by Tim Clayton titled simply "Diana," I think. They were all published since 2001.

June , William was born
July , Diana was born
August , Diana died
September , Harry was born

Has anyone seen reports of the new Diana book that will be coming out shortly which claims she aborted Oliver Hoare's baby in 1993 to save William and Harry the humilliation?

Don't know when that one's coming out. Did she think about saving them from humiliation when she started making all those tapes? Tapes are just coming out of the woodwork. You'd think she knew she was going to die young, quickly preparing such a library to leave behind.

Your favourite Diana books?

There are so many books about Diana out there... I have only read a few of them

Which ones are your favourites? Why?

Diana: the portrait
by Rosalind Coward

"Here, for the first time, is the Diana that many of those closest to her knew. Written with the full cooperation of the late princess's estate, Diana: The Portrait tells Diana's story through her own words and the words of people, both famous, and, until now, unknown. Beautifully designed, it is a lavishly illustrated with nearly 500 images of Diana, including many pictures never previously published, taken from sources including the Spencer family archive, the Althorp Museum, the Diana, Princess of Wales Memorial Fund archive, and the private collections of the friends, charities, and individuals whose lives she touched. Drawing on over 200 original interviews, including those of family members and friends, many of whom have never spoken before, this remarkable book will stand as a unique and lasting testament to the life and work of one of the extraordinary and enduring icons of the 20th century"

www.amazon.com

yennies comment: I haven´t read this one. But its sounds interesting!

Attachments

• theportrait.JPG
    theportrait.JPG
    11.5 KB · Views: 343
Portraits of a Princess: Travels with Diana
by: Patrick Jephson

"The anniversary of Princess Diana’s death on August 31, 1997, serves as occasion for yet another tribute, this time exploring her travels. Jephson, Diana’s private secretary, was denounced by Prince William in 2000 for exploiting his connection to Diana and publishing Shadows of a Princess, a highly critical look at her character, but this book is considerably more flattering. "To omit mention of... her failings would be to dismiss her as a saccharin invention—but they were not the whole person," Jephson writes. "The Diana I knew overcame these traits every day she stepped out of her palace and used her talents to brighten the lives of others." According to Jephson, the book’s purpose is to remind readers of the "brilliance" of the work Diana did for so many good causes. Yet, while the images provided by Royal Photographer Gavin document Diana’s dealings with various world dignitaries and charity organizers, they also show the evolution of her hair and wardrobe. She was, as Jephson puts it, "an unbeatable combination of fashion and compassion." If short on gravitas and substance, Jephson nevertheless shows how Diana leveraged her celebrity status for the public good, drawing the eye of the world to such causes as AIDS, ballet companies and land mines. Though Jephson sometimes adopts a patronizing tone and intrusively inserts himself into his own narrative—describing how he disapproved of her occasional "scheming" and proclaiming that her appearance in the Panorama interview "sealed the fate of her royal career. And mine too"—Diana’s devotees will likely make room on their shelves for this memorial"

www.amazon.com

yennies comment: I havn´t read this one either, but 150 never before seen photos sounds promising :)

Attachments

• travelswithdiana.JPG
    travelswithdiana.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 355
Diana: Closely guarded secret
by Ken Wharfe

"It seems almost unbelievable that 31 August 2002 will mark the fifth anniversary of the tragic death of Diana, Princess of Wales. In the years that have followed that devastating tragedy, there have been several attempts to rewrite her history, or even to portray her as something other than what she was. In addition, there have been extravagant accusations and conspiracy theories about her fatal accident, all adding to the fog of myth and supposition that has gathered about her memory.

The author of this remarkable memoir was a crucial figure in the Princess's life for many years from 1987. In that time, he became a close friend and trusted confidant who shared her most private moments. His first-hand account takes issue with many of the so-called 'facts' about the Princess that have appeared in books and the media since her death, and provides an affectionate, if not always uncritical, insight into this complex, troubled, but ultimately deeply fascinating woman. Here is the authentic voice of someone who played an important role in Diana's life, becoming a friend and confidant not only to her, but to her sons as well. It is the voice of a man who is, above all, an exceptionally perceptive observer of the extraordinary events he watched unfold around the Princess during what was perhaps the most crucial period of her life. Packed with anecdotes, his account provides the most intimate portrait of Diana to date, as well as a fitting tribute to one of the outstanding figures of our age."

www.amazon.com

Yennies comment: I have read this one. Exciting story about the life as a royal bodyguard. I especially liked the chapters about their trips to the Caribbean and Disney world.
No private photos, just paparazzi ones. But still a book very worth reading!

Attachments

• cover1.JPG
    cover1.JPG
    7.7 KB · Views: 457
  • cover2.JPG
    cover2.JPG
    23.4 KB · Views: 371
Last edited:
I have Diana the portrait Princess its really good books but its really BIG!

I have Royal duty its about Paul Burrell who work at Buckingham Palace and work at Kensington Palace with Diana till 1997

Diana: closely guard secret

travel with Diana portrait with Princess

Sara Boyce

Diana : Her True Story in Her Own Words

by Andrew Morton

Diana: Her True Story was originally published in 1992 under the guise of a quasi-authorized biography, with mostly unnamed courtiers and royalty as the accredited sources. It instantly became a sizzling, international bestseller that lanced the boil of Windsor family dysfunction, triggering a chain of events that led to Charles and Diana's divorce. After her tragic death in 1997, Andrew Morton revealed that Diana herself had not only been the main source for the book, but had also edited his original drafts for accuracy. In return for this gold mine of information, Diana wanted complete anonymity for fear of retaliation from the queen. Her True Story in Her Own Words is enhanced by more than 75 full-color photographs of the princess, from her childhood in Althorp to her marriage to Charles at Westminster Abbey to her humanitarian efforts, and finally to her unforgettable funeral service. However, the most poignant portrayal of the princess emerges from the unedited transcriptions of Diana's interviews with Morton: "I think I'm going to cut a very different path from everyone else. I'm going to break away from this setup and go and help the man on the street

www.amazon.com

Attachments

• hertruestory.JPG
    hertruestory.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 313
  • truestory2.JPG
    truestory2.JPG
    8.3 KB · Views: 568
Last edited:
Diana: The secret years

by Simone Simmons

"A FASCINATING INSIGHT INTO DIANA'S LAST YEARS FROM A TRUE INSIDER."
/ Andrew Morton

yennies comment: I liked this book. It tells the story about the, almost, ordinary friendship between two women. Although Simone is well aware of the icon status of her friend, and that imo shines throug in her writing.
But overall, this is a warm portrait of the friendship between Simone and Diana. The book feutures many fun stories about Dianas everyday life. But no "special" photos, exept for a christmas card Diana sent to Simone

Attachments

• thesecretyears.JPG
    thesecretyears.JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 289
Last edited:
The Bodyguard's Story: Diana, the Crash, and the Sole Survivor

by Trevor Rees- Jones

Where were you when Diana died? For Trevor Rees-Jones, the answer is simple: he was in the same hospital as Diana, fighting for his own life a few rooms away. As bodyguard to her companion Dodi Fayed, he was with the couple when, hounded by paparazzi, and with a driver who turned out to be drunk, their Mercedes crashed into the thirteenth pillar of the tunnel under the Place de l'Alma in Paris. Dodi and the Driver, Henri Paul, died instantaneously, medics say; Diana was rushed to a nearby hospital where doctors worked feverishly to resuscitate her before giving up in the early hours of Sunday morning.

Miraculously, Trevor survived. But his condition was critical--internal chest injuries and a broken wrist were the least of it. His head had taken the brunt of the impact and suffered catastrophic damage; his face was crushed beyond recognition. In a stunning medical drama, however, a facial surgeon performed a miracle of reconstruction, and--along with Trevor's own indomitable will and the support of his family and friends--the bodyguard was able to leave the hospital after just over a month. His goal then was straightforward: to return to a normal life as soon as possible, go back to work for his employer, Mohamed Al Fayed, and to the simple pleasures of rugby and his mates at home in Shropshire.

But the crash that nearly killed him had killed Diana, Princess of Wales, one of the most famous women of the late twentieth century. A normal life was no longer an option. An as Mohamed Al Fayed's grief at the loss of his son quickly turned into a desperate hunt for reasons, for culprits and conspiracy, Trevor found his unswerving loyalty to the Boss at first questioned and then, ultimately, destroyed, as Fayed pointed the finger of blame at him. The Bodyguard's Story grippingly describes, for the first time, Trevor Rees-Jones's part in these astonishing events. From the prelude to Paris, when Trevor found himself minding the Princess and her two sons in the south of France, to the crash itself and its causes and consequences, this book reveals the true, first-hand account of one of the most sensational news stories of the last century. Compelling, alarming and yet deeply moving, it is a remarkable story of courage under fire, and of how ordinary people can react to extraordinary circumstances and survive, scarred, but with their souls and values intact."

yennies comment: A story about what happend in the last months of Dianas life. Very detailed about the last few days and about what happend on that very last night in Paris.
But Trevor has, as empoyed by the Al Fayeds, no "real" insight in Dianas life. Just the things she did that last summer. But that, and the events after the crash is enough to make an ok book.

Attachments

• bodyguard.JPG
    bodyguard.JPG
    25.6 KB · Views: 450
Last edited:
Shadows of a Princess : An Intimate Account by Her Private Secretary

by: Patrick Jephson

Of all the books that have poured from the presses since the death of the Princess of Wales, very few can match the tasteless, self-seeking awfulness of P.D. Jephsons memoir Shadow of a Princess. Jephson, a former Royal Navy officer, was appointed equerry to the Princess of Wales in 1987. Subsequently appointed her private secretary, Jephson ran Dianas chaotic household throughout the final turbulent years of her life, before resigning following her decision to give a revelatory interview to BBCs Panorama in 1996.
Jephsons book ostensibly offers an insiders view on Diana's life during and after her relationship with the Prince of Wales. In fact it is an extraordinary and terribly crass character assassination of his former employer. Almost every page pours vitriol on the Princess, sneering at her interest in enthusiastic foreigners, cataloguing her megalomania, illusion of compassion and desire to plot and manoeuvre against virtually every member of the Royal Family. As Jephson dutifully follows the Princess on royal engagements he portrays her as a media-hungry young woman for whom no emotion was too facile. The book is remarkable for its almost complete lack of insight into what happened during some of the most turbulent years in the history of the House of Windsor. Jephson sympathises with Prince Charles as a decent chap, and has little of interest to say about Dianas affairs, beyond her regrettable habit of hanging around public gyms. In the midst of all of this Jephson characterises himself as a conscientious chap. Sadly, if his most of what he says here about Diana is true, he actually manages to come across as even more shallow and self-serving than the Princess. Quite a debut. --

www.amazon.com

Attachments

• shadows1.JPG
    shadows1.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 270
Last edited:
I collect Diana books, and currently have over 200 of them! These are three of my favorites.

Attachments

• 0060192011.01.jpg
    0060192011.01.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 571
  • 0684853922.01.jpg
    0684853922.01.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 660
  • 0847821374.01.jpg
    0847821374.01.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 607
wow, 200?! Thats alot of books :)

I´ve been thinking of buying the book by Jayne Fincher... it seems nice! What do you think of it? Are there any rare photos? Or is it mostly of Diana out in public?

yennie,

i never had book of Diana's bodyguard story before! but i have some books what im collectors since Diana's death in 1997 but i saw that books at Wal-Mart in Atlanta,Ga but i never got it! but i wanted to read about that!

and also i have Jayne Fincher's books of portrait of Princess its really good! its about Diana's life with Royals till her separation and divorces.

Sara Boyce

Yennie,There are some photos that are new, but because Jayne was a legitimate photographer (not paparazzi) Diana always knew the shots were being taken. However, it is an interesting read because Jayne was the only female photographer to follow the royal couple, and therefore was able to have a little bit more of a "friendship" with Diana. If you only own one Diana book, it should be that one.

I just got Jayne Fincher's book recently. It is a beautiful book. I hadn't seen some of the photos. I especially liked the page at the end showing all the bouquets Diana had received over the years.

Yes I agree. Jayne Fincher's book is absolutely beautiful. She was on Oprah several years ago when the book came out and Oprah gave it out to her audience.
I love all the photographs.

Josefine said:
does anyone have a good bio on Diana?
After pouring through family trees this weekend, I can say that the late Diana, Princess of Wales and Margrethe II of Denmark share the same set of 11x GreatGrandparents. As I'm descended from Harold I "Bluetooth" Blaatand, it's understandable that when younger I looked more like Diana but now I tend to look like Margrethe II....If anyone would like help tracing blueblood ancestors....feel free to contact me.

"Diana - The Last Word" by Simone Simmons

What is your opinion about Ms.Simmone Simon's new book and her revelations about Diana?As for me I think it is really bad.She writes about a supposed one night stand with JFK jr.and how Diana rated him in bed.Really rather sad.Those two are dead and people would still write of them in such a way.

I haven´t read it yet, but I ordered it earlier this week and it should be on its way.

I have read her other book and I liked it. It was full with "real" and detailed events from Dianas life, not just the ordinary "In 1993 Diana felt sad..."

jacqueline28 said:
Those two are dead and people would still write of them in such a way.

I agree, what ever happened to respecting the dead isnt it. But i guess they were two massive world icons and i guess its only natural for people to still talk about people like Diana and JFK, but there must be some levels of respect.

Two more books to add

Hope this doesn't go through twice - when I tried to send the message it went blank for a moment. Anyway - would like to add two books for anyone interested in astrology and/or the psychic field: One book is by a lady I know quite well, Penny Thornton. It's called With Love, From Diana and it's about her long association with Diana as her astrologer. It's a fascinating and insightful book. The other book (sorry for mentioning myself but it IS one of my favorites!) is a book I co-wrote with my fiance and longtime writing partner, psychic/medium Kenny Kingston. It's called I Still Talk To... and while it's not solely about Diana, there's a long chapter about her and Kenny's psychic experiences when she was alive, and his spirit contact with her later. Details about the Ritz Hotel, whether the crash was an accident, etc. There's also a chapter about his client, the Duchess of Windsor -- with a tie-in to Diana. Just thought these two books might be a change of pace.

Sammy, I am an avid Royal book collector too. Some of my absolute favorites are Tim Graham's. He has put out a lot of books, and he used to put our one every year. I was just wondering if by chance you have any of his, they are really a joy.

Yennie said:
Diana: the portrait
by Rosalind Coward

"Here, for the first time, is the Diana that many of those closest to her knew. Written with the full cooperation of the late princess's estate, Diana: The Portrait tells Diana's story through her own words and the words of people, both famous, and, until now, unknown. Beautifully designed, it is a lavishly illustrated with nearly 500 images of Diana, including many pictures never previously published, taken from sources including the Spencer family archive, the Althorp Museum, the Diana, Princess of Wales Memorial Fund archive, and the private collections of the friends, charities, and individuals whose lives she touched. Drawing on over 200 original interviews, including those of family members and friends, many of whom have never spoken before, this remarkable book will stand as a unique and lasting testament to the life and work of one of the extraordinary and enduring icons of the 20th century"

www.amazon.com

yennies comment: I haven´t read this one. But its sounds interesting!

I own this book and several others on this site: I highly recommend the above book--it had pictures and stories I didn't even know!!

Jayne Fincher's book is absolutely beautiful!! I also can get a good price on it working for a major bookstore chain!!:p

Jayne Fincher also did a book in 1991 called the "Illustrated Fashion Guide of the Princess of Wales". I highly recommend this book. It takes Diana from pre-engagement to 1990!! You see all the wonderful clothes and the amazing transformation!

im hope i will get buy more Princess Diana books really soon! but i cant wait to reat that books but i like to buy from amazon or B&N whatever what i wanted it!

Sara Boyce

New "tell all" book about Diana

Max Clifford has written a book called Read All About It to be published in September. :mad: I'm not sure who Clifford is, but he must be someone involved in newspapers and tabloids.

He claims that James Hewitt met Diana in 1981, before the wedding, and the pair became friends, then lovers. By late 1984 Hewitt was concerned that information about the relationship was getting into the press (Harry of course was born in September 1984). (This of course will cause more Harry rumors.)

Max claims that he confirmed for one of Diana's friends in the late 80s that Charles was continuing his affair with Camilla.

Among other revelations: Diana had a relationship with a young American medical student at the same time she had the romance with Hasnat Khan.

This Clifford must be a Dominick Dunne-type character, knows everyone and everything! All I gotta say is :mad: :eek:

Back
Top Bottom