Books about Charles, Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dakodas

Aristocracy
City
Washington
Country
United States
I was rather bored by the whole book. It was written before it was known positively that Camilla and Charles would marry. The only time it moved me was to laugh that Camilla refused to curtsey to Sophie and that Sophie was mad about it.

Did she refuse to curtsey at Sophie before or after she married Charles? If it was before, why would she not cutrsey to her?

Australian said:
Did she refuse to curtsey at Sophie before or after she married Charles? If it was before, why would she not cutrsey to her?
Before. As I said, the book was written before the marriage. No reason is supplied. My guess is because she was sleeping with Charles when Sophie was a commoner in diapers.

Sophie deserved that curtsey if Camilla was not married to Charles at the time. Quite distastefully rude behaviour. I hope Sophie doesn't curtsey to her.

Since you have the book out and lying open by your computer, what was the context for the great Non-Curtsey Snub? Didn't the author offer any comment? You'd have thought she would have realised people would be talking and asking questions? :)

v covers
reproduced for promotional purposes

Attachments

• Camilla.jpg
    Camilla.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 919
  • Camilla 1.jpg
    Camilla 1.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 981
Last edited:
Warren said:
Since you have the book out and lying open by your computer, what was the context for the great Non-Curtsey Snub? Didn't the author offer any comment? You'd have thought she would have realised people would be talking and asking questions? :)
It is NOT open by my computer. That I recall no context was given. As I said before, the book was largely a disappointment. Very disjointed. I bought in on holiday in SA.

I just retrieved the book and alas, it has no index. I will flip through to see if I can find the part I was referring to...

tiaraprin said:
Sophie deserved that curtsey if Camilla was not married to Charles at the time. Quite distastefully rude behaviour. I hope Sophie doesn't curtsey to her.

Amen to that tiaraprin. If indeed this did happen of course!

"MII"

Last edited:
Okay, I just found it! Page 271-272.
"Few people actively object to Camilla anymore, except perhaps Sophie Wessex, who gets upset if Mrs. Parker Bowles doesn't curtsey to her."
That's it, people. Sorry. No explanation.

On page 270, the author claims that Sharon Osbourne reached out with both hands and squeezed Camilla's busoms at a Golden Jubilee pop concert at BP. Sharon then supposedly said "You've got gorgeous old t&ts". What aplomb!

dakodas said:
Okay, I just found it! Page 271-272.
"Few people actively object to Camilla anymore, except perhaps Sophie Wessex, who gets upset if Mrs. Parker Bowles doesn't curtsey to her."
That's it, people. Sorry. No explanation.
That's not good enough, I'm sorry. There is no context or information or details whatsoever. If people want to use this to have a go at Camilla I'm afraid we have to have some actual facts. Even a baseless allegation wouldn't go astray. I'd say this is a dud book. ;)

dakodas said:
On page 270, the author claims that Sharon Osbourne reached out with both hands and squeezed Camilla's busoms at a Golden Jubilee pop concert at BP. Sharon then supposedly said "You've got gorgeous old t&ts". What aplomb!
It was reported after the Jubilee Concert that Ozzie was quite taken with Camilla's breasts as well. It must be an Osborne family fetish.

Warren said:
That's not good enough, I'm sorry. There is no context or information or details whatsoever. If people want to use this to have a go at Camilla I'm afraid we have to have some actual facts. Even a baseless allegation wouldn't go astray. I'd say this is a dud book. ;)
I have to agree. The only reason I have held on to it is because it is a flimsy paperback and I paid 103 SA rand for it. Books are so expensive there. We were there almost a month so I went through the reading materials I brought.

Warren said:
It was reported after the Jubilee Concert that Ozzie was quite taken with Camilla's breasts as well. It must be an Osborne family fetish.
Have you seen recent pics of Sharon? I think she got implants.

dakodas said:
Have you seen recent pics of Sharon? I think she got implants.
Before or after she touched up Camilla?

Warren said:
Before or after she touched up Camilla?
after. I saw some taken a few weeks ago and Sharon looks rather amazing.

dakodas said:
after. I saw some taken a few weeks ago and Sharon looks rather amazing.
Is this evidence that Camilla has had an effect on people's lives we never would have thought possible?

Warren said:
Is this evidence that Camilla has had an effect on people's lives we never would have thought possible?
Yes, envy is a terrible thing but imitation the sincerest form of flattery!

I recently bought and read this book by Rebecca Tyrell and I wonder wether it's rewritten a bit to bring the latest developments into it. It ends before the marriage but refers to Camilla as the new Duchess of Cornwall. This fact was only known after the announcement of the engagement. Probably there are different issues of this book and I happend to buy the latest one.

I haven't read the book but I have a question. If the snub is true..where is it supposed to have happen? I know we don't know what goes on 24/7, but I can't imagine that Sophie and Camilla met several times in private and if that is the case, I can't imagine her not curtesying. That would be rude and if Camilla was trying to be accepted by the masses (in this case the Royal family) I can't imagine her snubbing Sophie, who is adored by the Queen. Does that make sense?

The occasion is not specified. Just the statement as posted above. But you are right, to me that doesn't make sense either.

Gladys said:
The occasion is not specified. Just the statement as posted above. But you are right, to me that doesn't make sense either.
As Zonk pointed out, there is no logic to this allegation-by-inference.
Where there is no logical explanation, and no details whatsoever, I suspect there is no substance to it.

Acutally the Waleses and Wessexes dont get a long that well. They are on very bad terms. Sophie cant stand Camilla. If I was Camilla i would not have curtseyed either as support to Charles and his kids. Hopefully they can heal this little rift in the future. Camilla never curtseyed to Charles so I dont see anything wrong with not curtsying to Sophie. I have only seen Camilla curtsy to the Queen of the Queen of Jordan.

A reminder this is "Royal Library"

Perhaps there is nothing more to say about this book?

yes perhaps warren

this thread isnt really focusing on the book anymore :)

Charles, Prince of Wales, life, interests, and Duchess of Cornwall

This is a new biography published in 2007 about Prince Charles. The author is Howard Hodgson.The book is quite objective but it is a pity that the author focused on Prince Charles and Diana. His book focused on 1945-1997. He said that his motivation was to correct the untrue facts in Morton's book Diana: Her true story and to present a fairer account about Prince Charles to avoid any history whitewashing.

In some parts,he is quite harsh about Diana especially about her decisions involving with Morton's book and the BBC interview. But equally he is quite strainght about the flaws in the characters of Prince Charles and Diana.He crticised solely Charles for the decision to marry Diana but acknowledging Diana has hided the other side of herself from the Prince and certainly her family did not give any warning before the proposal. He seems to rather believe that Diana's prblems are rooted with an insecure childhood and her unknown metal problems rather than her natural character of manuplation and other possible negative personalities. He mentions the possibility of Diana suffering from BPD or other unknown mental problems.

Some of his parts are quite controversial since he studied about Diana, Princess of Wales. The information probably from Charles: Victim or Villian by Penny Junor, The Real Diana by Lady Colin Campell, Diana: the life of a troubled princess by Sally Beddell Smith, and Diana: story of a princess by Tim Clayton and Phil Craig.

I want to know more about Prince Charles and Camilla. But I am dispointed. The author failed to notice the publications of Diana by Sarah Bradford and Portrait of a love affair by Gyles Bradreath which also dispointed me.

But I still find this book provoking deep thinkings. The author actually wants to use the lives of Charles and Diana to present the images of British society in past five decades rather than focusing on the two people. He said he used five years to try to do the research and write the books. I guess using clear sources are always difficult because Prince Charles is still alive and many people still have their resevervations in this matter.

For me, I hope that someone can help me evaluate the realibility of sources of these books I list above.

Last edited:
Now in German: The Elements of Organic Gardening

You can get the book of
HRH The Prince of Wales ( with Stephanie Donaldson) :
The Elements of Organic Gardening
now in German language.
It has here the title:
Highgrove, Clarence House, Birkhall - Königliche Biogärten ( 29,90 Euro)

Really a recommendable book!:flowers:

I may go for the book (although in English). I have read some parts in the newspapers, and I must say I really like it.
This suits me so much better because my childhood dream was to become gardener. :D

Last edited:
the Duchess of Cornwall - books?

Is anyone aware of a good book or two on the Duchess of Cornwall? I'm interested in factual rather than speculative. :)

Hi! I'd really recommend Gyles Brandreth's "Charles and Camilla". Very factual because he interviewed most of her close friends and a few (nameless) Royal Family members. Also the Mountbattens. Very factual, a little sycophantic in places but better than the other books out there on HRH.

Back
Top Bottom