"Blood, Fire and Gold" by Estelle Paranque (2022)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

An Ard Ri

Super Moderator
Site Team
City
An Iarmhí
Country
Ireland
Blood, Fire and Gold by Estelle Paranque

A new look at the relationship between 2 of Europe's most powerful women Elizabeth I and Catherine de Médicis.
Dr Paranque is an Assistant Professor specialized in early modern and public history.

In sixteenth-century Europe, two women came to hold all the power, against all the odds.

They were Elizabeth I and Catherine de Médicis.

One a Virgin Queen who ruled her kingdom alone, and the other a clandestine leader who used her children to shape the dynasties of Europe, much has been written about these iconic women. But nothing has been said of their complicated relationship: thirty years of friendship, competition and conflict that changed the face of Europe.

Blood, Fire and Gold is released on June 30th 2022
https://www.penguin.co.uk/books/1442867/blood--fire-and-gold/9781529109221.html

Attachments

• Blood Fire and Gold.jpg
    Blood Fire and Gold.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 300
Blood Fire and Gold

A brilliant book and a must read, especially those members interested in the lives of Elizabeth 1 and Catherine De Medici. It’s exciting and compelling, packed full of tantalising details of diplomacy and court life, Estelle succeeds both in bringing history to life, but to putting flesh on the bones of these two extraordinary women and rival queens.

Has anyone else been watching The Real War of Thrones second series, which covers the complicated politics involving Elizabeth, Catherine and Mary Queen of Scots? I think it was shown in the US a few years ago, but it's on Sky History in the UK at the moment. Not sure about other countries. There's always so much emphasis on the relationship between Elizabeth and Mary that we don't really look at the relationship between Elizabeth and Catherine, despite all the marriage negotiations with Catherine's sons, and the effect that the St Bartholomew's Day massacre had on "hearts and minds" in England. The book looks fascinating, thanks!

A brilliant book and a must read, especially those members interested in the lives of Elizabeth 1 and Catherine De Medici. It’s exciting and compelling, packed full of tantalising details of diplomacy and court life, Estelle succeeds both in bringing history to life, but to putting flesh on the bones of these two extraordinary women and rival queens.

Did the two women ever meet? I don't think so.

I might buy the book, as there is not much literature about Queen Elizabeth I's relationship with other foreign royals except Mary, Queen of Scots, and Philip II of Spain.

Since Elizabeth actively supported the Huguenots in the French Religion Wars, and Catherine's own deceased son and his widow claimed the English throne, I would assume it was a pretty tense relationship.

Last edited:
Had Catherine's husband Henri II lived longer I'm not sure if Elizabeth I would have been as successful.
It was a stroke of luck that Henri died in July 1559 and Marie de Guise in Scotland in June 1560.

Henri II wanted to keep Scotland Pro French and Catholic at any costs , Catherine however as Regent was too aware of the financial burdens and pulled the plug.

Despite not being a monarch ,Catherine was the dominant force in France from 1559 until her death 30 years later.

335px-Catherine_de_M%C3%A9dicis_-_entourage_de_Fran%C3%A7ois_Clouet.jpg

Did the two women ever meet? I don't think so.
No neither of the queen's ever met.

Since Elizabeth actively supported the Hugenots in the French Religion Wars, and Catherine's own deceased son and his widow claimed the English throne, I would assume it was a pretty tense relationship.
The relationship was strained over Elizabeth and the Huguenots ,but Elizabeth had her hands badly burned for that support .
Elizabeth's forces took Le Havre in 1562 but a year later Catherine managed to unite both Catholics and Huguenots and they retook the port and drove the English out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Hampton_Court_(1562)

This one sounds right up my alley!?

As clever and shrewd as Elizabeth was ,I still think Catherine would make mince meat of her ;)

Back
Top Bottom