The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library
Click Here to Login

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2020, 07:07 AM
Majesty

Everyone seems to adore Kate and her family??? I woudnt say so. I dont, certianly but compared to some royals she's pretty good and I think she's improved a lot in the past year or 2.

Old 10-26-2020, 07:27 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
I mean look how people looked down on Meghan for making her own money and having a career. So that’s not surprising. People called her a golddigger on top if it too. The Middletons at least are English, so despite people looking down they still are better than Meghan in many’s eyes. It’s all nonsense though.
I do not think people looked down on Meghan for making her own money. They looked down on Meghan for acting like a prima-donna, and not respecting the institution and family she married into, and leaving it in a manner that did not demonstrate either grace or dignity.

Old 10-26-2020, 07:30 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
As the second in line, William had to consider not only Harry's personal happiness, but also how his marriage would impact the Royal House.

Harry's marriage to Meghan might or might not be successful in the long run (it is still early to tell), but I think it is fair to say that, even in such a short period of time, it has already proven to be negative for the Royal House at least in the UK and the major Commonwealth realms. In this sense, William's concerns were justified.
Very well said, @Mbruno.
Old 10-26-2020, 07:33 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Everyone seems to adore Kate and her family??? I woudnt say so. I dont, certianly but compared to some royals she's pretty good and I think she's improved a lot in the past year or 2.
I agree, perhaps in this forum, the Middletons are overall well-like right now (I'm not quite sure in the past) . For the general public, I am not sure. From reading the Daily Mail comments (it's my guilty pleasure ), the Middletons were not initially liked and "pushy parents", "social climbers", "opportunists" & "wisteria sisters" have been throwing around even after the wedding. I would say that the positive comments become more popular (best rated) was when Meghan arrived at the scene. Again, it's like the lesser of two evils, when a newly married in royal becomes a new target or punching bag. At one point, I have read a comment that said that "Meghan's family drama reminds me to be appreciate the Middleton's family" around the time of the Harry and Meghan's wedding preparation and the "letter incident".

Disclaimer: I know that tabloid comments do not represent British people's view.
Old 10-26-2020, 07:54 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC21091968 View Post
I agree, perhaps in this forum, the Middletons are overall well-like right now (I'm not quite sure in the past) . For the general public, I am not sure. From reading the Daily Mail comments (it's my guilty pleasure ), the Middletons were not initially liked and "pushy parents", "social climbers", "opportunists" & "wisteria sisters" have been throwing around even after the wedding. I would say that the positive comments become more popular (best rated) was when Meghan arrived at the scene. Again, it's like the lesser of two evils, when a newly married in royal becomes a new target or punching bag. At one point, I have read a comment that said that "Meghan's family drama reminds me to be appreciate the Middleton's family" around the time of the Harry and Meghan's wedding preparation and the "letter incident".

Disclaimer: I know that tabloid comments do not represent British people's view.
That's not quite the case, from what I've seen of negative tabloid comments about M and Harry, its roughly evenly divided between US and UK commenters... Yes there is snobbery about the Middletons, and yes they are IMO a bit pushy ( at least Carole is).. but they're reasonably OK people, and are supportive of Kate and probably give her a lot of security and affection.. which is a help to her... whereas M's family apart from her mother have been quite the opposite...
And yes I think Kate has been slow to get into royal work but she has concentrated on her children for the past years and now that they are getting a bit older, she is IMO taking on more royal work and doing a decent job on it..
Old 10-26-2020, 07:56 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I do not think people looked down on Meghan for making her own money. They looked down on Meghan for acting like a prima-donna, and not respecting the institution and family she married into, and leaving it in a manner that did not demonstrate either grace or dignity.
Im sure that there is snobbery about the Middletons as well but yes with Meghan, it is pretty clear that she didn't have any idea what she was marrying into, and possibly never intended it to be her full time life after her marriage. The fact that she left largely to make a professional income shows where her priorities lay...
Old 10-26-2020, 08:07 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Very well said, @Mbruno.
Well, as an Australian and therefore a citizen of one of the 'major Commonwealth realms' I would say that Harry and Meghan leaving has no 'negative impact' here, Mbruno. The only negative impact on the realms in the Southern Hemispere that I can see will occur after the Queen's death when Charles comes to the throne. He is not popular here.

And I can't remember the last time anyone spoke about Kate and William admiringly or otherwise in any large gathering that I have attended in Australia. It must literally have been many many years. They have no impact at all on the ordinary Australian. So Kate and her family loved and adored here in this realm? No.
Old 10-26-2020, 08:28 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I am not a special fan of Kate but we must all agree, so far she has behaved impeccably in all circumstances.
Old 10-26-2020, 08:35 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by rominet09 View Post
I am not a special fan of Kate but we must all agree, so far she has behaved impeccably in all circumstances.
I've never been a great fan but I think that in contrast with some royals, she has developed as she grew older, and has a natural discretion and common sense... I dont think she's a great queen to be, but she's certainly grown into the role.. and I think its clear that her first priorities are her family life wiht Will and hte kids which is admirable...
Old 10-26-2020, 09:11 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Well, as an Australian and therefore a citizen of one of the 'major Commonwealth realms' I would say that Harry and Meghan leaving has no 'negative impact' here, Mbruno. The only negative impact on the realms in the Southern Hemispere that I can see will occur after the Queen's death when Charles comes to the throne. He is not popular here.

And I can't remember the last time anyone spoke about Kate and William admiringly or otherwise in any large gathering that I have attended in Australia. It must literally have been many many years. They have no impact at all on the ordinary Australian. So Kate and her family loved and adored here in this realm? No.
It also would depend on the person's political leaning and republican/pro-monarchy stance. I know the video below is from Sky News Australia and Campbell Newman is Liberal-National Party (centre-right) politician and former Premier of Queensland. He mentioned along the lines that "Harry and Meghan are turning me into a Republican". Video starts at 6:42

https://youtu.be/xQNTRLk85W8?t=402

Of course there are publicans with left-wing or even republican view (i.e. The Guardian and The Age) would be more sympathetic to Meghan.

Even in the Sydney Morning Herald (politically centre publication at one point allegedly supported "Yes" for the republican referendum), where these two writers below have been sympathetic towards Harry and Meghan, the comment section overall however were on the negative side (towards the couple). Jenna Price and Natalie Reilly at some point making digs at the royal family.

https://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/lif...24-p55owz.html

https://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/fas....html#comments

What I'm trying to say is that ever since Harry and Meghan decided to leave as senior working royals, most monarchists (that I have read online) have been more sympathetic to towards the Queen rather than the couple themselves.

I agree with you that Charles is not popular, certainly when the recent Guardian paper was released mentioning his sympathetic letter to the then Governor General.

In terms of William and Kate not making an impact on ordinary Australian, of course, unless you are a royal watcher or a very staunch monarchist, most people would not have been engaging or continuously making discussion, but so do other royals including Charles & Camilla, Harry & Meghan, Edward (it was low key) or even Queen & Duke of Edinburgh's last tour. Harry and Meghan may be generating news headlines recently, but it mostly focus on the controversies they have stirred, rather than their relatively successful tours. I think the only royal that is loved is The Queen. Even some republicans cannot deny that they like The Queen and would campaign for a republic once Charles ascend to the throne, but not during her reign.
Old 10-26-2020, 09:19 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Really? I saw quite many comments saying just that. Even dismissing her entire career (still happens now). This was while she was still a working royal. Not even talking about her position now.

Also why shouldn't she make an income? I mean one can lose count on the obsession people had on money with Meghan. Heck the $2.4M was a never ending discussion. Now people can't use it as a weapon. She not taking anything from anyone.

I do think it is interesting how people are running to defend the Middletons and dismiss Lacey's book though were quick to believe things about Doria from the media though it never happened. I think it is all rubbish but it is fascinating.

As for Kate... I have no thoughts on her one way or another. I am glad she seems to finally found her niche and it is clear her family and supporting William is her main priority. That is great.

Kate will one day be Queen. Her situation is completely different.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:33 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Really? I saw quite many comments saying just that. Even dismissing her entire career (still happens now). This was while she was still a working royal. Not even talking about her position now.

Also why shouldn't she make an income? I mean one can lose count on the obsession people had on money with Meghan. Heck the $2.4M was a never ending discussion. Now people can't use it as a weapon. She not taking anything from anyone.
I have absolutely no problem with Meghan having had a career prior to marrying Harry. The problems started shortly thereafter!
Old 10-26-2020, 10:36 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
In terms of William and Kate not making an impact on ordinary Australian, of course, unless you are a royal watcher or a very staunch monarchist, most people would not have been engaging or continuously making discussion, but so do other royals including Charles & Camilla, Harry & Meghan, Edward (it was low key) or even Queen & Duke of Edinburgh's last tour. Harry and Meghan may be generating news headlines recently, but it mostly focus on the controversies they have stirred, rather than their relatively successful tours. I think the only royal that is loved is The Queen. Even some republicans cannot deny that they like The Queen and would campaign for a republic once Charles ascend to the throne, but not during her reign.
All good points. However, a few weeks down under by the Cambridge family will change the public narrative quite quickly. I still remember Prince George being referred to as Republican-slayer and so on, following the 2014 trip. If it was not for the pandemic, I would expect them to be heading there fairly soon, its been 6 years since they last went.
Old 10-26-2020, 12:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Sigh, I’m talking about the BRF.....and that was pretty obvious from my post.
Old 10-26-2020, 12:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

I was referring to the BRF..... I don’t really care generally how popular anyone is with the public since my own favorite, Charles (not counting HM), is quite unpopular.
Old 10-26-2020, 12:33 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Indeed. To opine is cheap, the judgement, IMO, lies in establishing the credibility of the opinion before giving it any credence.
Old 10-26-2020, 01:52 PM
Majesty

Quote:
As for Kate... I have no thoughts on her one way or another. I am glad she seems to finally found her niche and it is clear her family and supporting William is her main priority. That is great.

I think that is an understatement of her role. First, she has taken over several patronages and charities. Second, she has also pursued her interests in art/photography and gardening/landscape design.

Your post makes her look like just a stay-at-home mum/wife.
Old 10-26-2020, 02:05 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
I was referring to the BRF..... I don’t really care generally how popular anyone is with the public since my own favorite, Charles (not counting HM), is quite unpopular.
No way of knowing how popular Kate or the middletons are with the RF as a whole....
Old 10-26-2020, 03:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I think that is an understatement of her role. First, she has taken over several patronages and charities. Second, she has also pursued her interests in art/photography and gardening/landscape design.

Yes much like Camilla, Sophie, Brigitta and Katherine Kent, Catherine as a married in member of the BRF has found a way to balance her home life, patronages, royal duties and personal interests. Her sister-in-law Meghan was just starting to do so with her patronages and family life, but has now stepped back from senior royal duties.
Old 10-26-2020, 04:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

I couldn’t agree more. I find that she has achieved a brilliant balance between motherhood, supporting her husband and the Queen and finding her niche as very much her own person. You laid it all out beautifully.

Closed Thread

Tags
duke of cambridge, duke of sussex, family life