Battle of Brothers: William, Harry and the Inside Story of A Family in Tumult

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it sounds as if Harry was also engaging in bullying behaviour, if the tales are true...

Sounds like KP as a whole was a nightmare. That doesn't make anyone look good.

I must say, the excerpt from Lacey's update is pretty damning of both Harry & Meghan. There were some interesting tidbits that I don't think we had before.

If it's true that a friend of William spoke to Lacey... I'd say the gloves have absolutely come off with regard to dealing with the Sussexes.

(...)Several people maintained they had been “humiliated” by the duchess, and that criticism extended to Harry as well.

“I overheard a conversation between Harry and one of his top aides,” recalled one Kensington Palace courtier. “Harry was screaming and screaming down the phone. Team Sussex was a really toxic environment. People shouting and screaming in each other’s faces.”

(...)

William personally knew and liked all the individuals whom Knauf had named in his dossier. The prince regarded them as assets to his household — colleagues to be cherished and for whom he was responsible. Human beings. Like Knauf, the prince was appalled that his respected staff may have been put in this position.

For William, Knauf’s allegations also clarified something that the prince had long believed — that Meghan was fundamentally hostile towards the royal system, which she failed to understand as an outsider. William wondered if she had not wanted to leave from the very start — even dreaming, perhaps, that she could whisk Harry back with her to North America.

(...)

I have never met Jason Knauf. What you have just read is based upon the published accusations that Knauf set down on paper — refuted as “defamatory”, it must be stressed again, and “based on misleading and harmful information” in the view of the Duchess of Sussex’s lawyers. It also relies upon William’s personal account of these events to one of his friends who then spoke to this author.

(...)

William believed Meghan was following a plan — “agenda” was the word he used to his friend — and the accusations he had just heard were alarming. Kate, he said, had been wary of her from the start.

Meghan was undermining some precious principles of the monarchy, if she really was treating her staff in this way, and William was upset that she seemed to be stealing his beloved brother away from him. Later courtiers would coin a hashtag — #freeHarry. It was only half a joke.

(...)

When accounts of the rift started seeping out through the winter months that followed, it was generally assumed that the volatile Harry must have set the pace in the splitting up of the joint Kensington Palace household. He was the brother who visibly departed, stalking off to set up a new home in Windsor, with offices for himself and Meghan in Buckingham Palace.

But the reverse was the case. It was William who made the decisive move. Following his furious confrontation with his younger brother in the autumn of 2018, the prince instructed Simon Case to start the process of dividing their two households immediately. William wished to be separated from Meghan on a day-to-day basis — and that meant being separated from his brother as well.

“William,” says a friend, “threw Harry out.”

I didn't realize it was something that Lacey said and when I saw his name, I couldn't quite believe it. Is it me, or does this sound markedly different from what he wrote last year? A year ago, he was all but singing Meghan's praises, claiming that her stardom should have elevated her above opening bridges with The Queen and other mundane tasks. And that, basically, the RF was at fault for not reforming itself around her shine.

I wonder what happened to cause such a change.

I hope William hasn't taken a page from the Harry/Meghan playbook and is now telling his friends to tell the press certain things. Or maybe Harry and Meghan were right, and the royals really have been doing that the whole time. Either way, I wish everyone would just stop doing that.

A culture clash seems a good way to describe the different approaches of team Sussex vs team Cambridge.
Self-interest vs Duty
Being served by staff vs Taking care of staff

Last edited:
If Meghan really is so volatile and hostile to work for as Lacey alleges, then perhaps it's less of a surprise that the Sussexes have not done much professionally since their departure, even given the pandemic and her pregnancies.

A culture clash seems a good way to describe the different approaches of team Sussex vs team Cambridge.
Self-interest vs Duty

The way I've seen it is that the senior staff members working for a royal are the ones that keep their appointment diaries straight, compile dossiers on the people the royal is going to meet with pertinent information they need to know and they're at their side to collect flowers and gifts and basically a royal's right arm person. They work together

It's possible that Meghan, coming into an establishment totally different from what she's been used to, her view of staff was more that they're gophers, maids and jack of all trades for whatever she deemed she needed and was to be obeyed without questions asked. If Harry could have the attitude that "whatever Meghan wants, Meghan gets", its not surprising that that should have been the attitude of those that worked for Meghan. Her "orders" were to be followed without complaint. I can see where her staff would have a revolving door if this was the case.

It also doesn't surprise me that it is suggested that William is the one that took action in order to preserve his and his wife's work environment. William would be the one that saw the responsibility he has to ensure that his office and his staff work in tandem with each other and that can't be accomplished if there's someone in the office that is making the job intolerable for the rest of them.

It actually wouldn't surprise me one bit that William ordered the execution of the dissolution of the office and staff away from Harry and Meghan feeling they'd be best off with their own office and staff and let the chips fall where they may. Here lies the love vs. duty. William knows the responsibilities he carries and will have increasing roles going into the future whereas Harry most likely took offense at the actions against "the woman he loves that can do no wrong in his eyes."

Then, as history shows, Harry and Meghan wanted their own "court" which was denied. They most likely saw it as an affront that their office at BP would be under the jurisdiction of HM, The Queen and felt they were being demeaned, unappreciated and demoted even though the reality is that eventually, William would have his own court and offices and staff as Duke of Cornwall and perhaps Prince of Wales in the not so far off future.

I do not believe Meghan "mistreated" her staff. One "allegation" was emails at 5 AM> This happens at work but it does not mean the employee has to answer the emails at 5 AM.

Ironically, I think this is a win-win for everybody.

The courtiers found HRH The Duchess of Sussex abusive, and now they never have to deal with her or HRH The Duke of Sussex again.

HRH The Duchess of Sussex expected a difference experience within the British Royal Family than the one she got, so HRH The Duke of Sussex removed their family from working status to a less stressful life.

HRH The Duke of Cambridge wanted to protect the staff from HRH The Duchess of Sussex and preserve the sanctity of the British Royal Family. Now HRH The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are out, the courtiers do not have to deal with them, and HRH The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge can continue the good work of representing the British Royal Family, Great Britain, and the Commonwealth without issue.

In the end, everyone got what they wanted.

I think the households would eventually have split anyway. It's not usual for two adult siblings and their partners to operate as a group of four rather than as two couples. But it's a shame that it couldn't have happened amicably. There do seem to be a lot of people singing from the same hymn sheet regarding the bullying allegations: it's not as if it's just one or two.

There does to be a pattern of Harry flying off the handle. If a number of people had made allegations of workplace bullying, there was an obligation to listen and to look into what had happened. It would have been wrong for William just to refuse to take any notice.

Last edited:
Self-interest vs Duty

It seems as if basic courtesy should transcend any cultural differences.
Bullying is bullying, no matter where you are.

I didn't realize it was something that Lacey said and when I saw his name, I couldn't quite believe it. Is it me, or does this sound markedly different from what he wrote last year? A year ago, he was all but singing Meghan's praises, claiming that her stardom should have elevated her above opening bridges with The Queen and other mundane tasks. And that, basically, the RF was at fault for not reforming itself around her shine.

I wonder what happened to cause such a change.

It is quite the change. In the previous edition he was Team Sussex. And to be fair we don't how the rest of the new chapters will turn out over all.

This is in line with previous allegations and presumably it can be proved by the independent inquiry that JK sent the emails in 2018 with concerns.

I do not believe Meghan "mistreated" her staff. One "allegation" was emails at 5 AM> This happens at work but it does not mean the employee has to answer the emails at 5 AM.

This is not just about 5am emails. This is about allegedly both of them screaming at staff, they/she "governed by fear" and "emotional cruelty and manipulation" and created a toxic environment for team Sussex leaving staff shaking and terrified. Again all alleged but this man wrote the book that was very much on their side last year.

These staff had often come from a corporate setting, they were not just British but American and from the Commonwealth as well. So this wasn't just about being an American woman in an office full of ancient British men in grey.

And no, it doesn't make the Palace look good that they allegedly swept a lot of it under the table instead of having a policy where staff can make complaints about the way they're treated by *any* member of the family.

I do think they would have split their offices sooner or later even if this wasn't the powder keg and everything was running smoother.

For the first time since August 31 1997, I am relieved that William and Harry's mother is not alive to see this. How mortified Diana would be.:ohmy:

Or would she have been able to have prevented the mess in the first place?:ermm:

I'm confused. Has the "updated version" already been released, and this is just the paperback edition? There doesn't seem to be as much press and promo for "twelve new chapters" as you'd think.

T
It's possible that Meghan, coming into an establishment totally different from what she's been used to, her view of staff was more that they're gophers, maids and jack of all trades for whatever she deemed she needed and was to be obeyed without questions asked. If Harry could have the attitude that "whatever Meghan wants, Meghan gets", its not surprising that that should have been the attitude of those that worked for Meghan. Her "orders" were to be followed without complaint. I can see where her staff would have a revolving door if this was the case.
re.

Oh come, do medium range actresses on small scale shows filmed in Canada get gofers and maids and people to do their bidding?

Oh come, do medium range actresses on small scale shows filmed in Canada get gofers and maids and people to do their bidding?

She may have thought that the top-range actresses would and she was now to become a royal highness (so top of the top-range), so her expectations might have been along those lines.

Yes, they do. Look at the credits following any show on TV. All kinds of people doing different jobs to support the actors and actresses from hair styling to wardrobe and script consultants etc. Maybe not as private secretaries but they're there to make the production run smoothly. ?

Yes, they do. Look at the credits following any show on TV. All kinds of people doing different jobs to support the actors and actresses from hair styling to wardrobe and script consultants etc. Maybe not as private secretaries but they're there to make the production run smoothly. ?

Do you think that an actress of Meghan's level has her own personal maid, stylist etc etc who are expected to dash about and bow to her every wish?

She may have thought that the top-range actresses would and she was now to become a royal highness (so top of the top-range), so her expectations might have been along those lines.

well it was kind of my point that she didn't' have people running after her and treating her as a superior being.. and that being a member of the RF clearly went to her head pretty fast, if she thought that she could make everyone run around after her and cater to her every whim.

If Meghan is the bully they claim they are going to eventually have to prove it. The way the media and such dig into these people’s lives, the truth will come out. Just look at it happening now with various people in the news. You can’t hide it. And if she did it will have to answer for her actions.

That said, I’ve yet to see what she did that was bullying. And 5am emails ain’t it. So it will be interesting to see it play out because eventually accusations only go so far without solid evidence. And right many don’t believe it because the evidence is non existent. It comes across to some that they just had issues taking direction from someone they saw as less than them.

Time will tell.

Last edited:
There has been rumours of other problems besides "5 am emails". And it sounds like Harry has done his share of yelling and being difficult....

The top people who work for the royals are more like Sir Humphreys to the royal in question's Jim Hacker (from the UK sitcom Yes, Minister) the analogy isn't perfect because the family don't change the way minister do and they have a lot more ability to ignore any advice. But they're highly educated, professional people and if she couldn't tell the difference between them and an over worked production assistant on a TV show then there was no hope for her.

Jason Knauf worked for RBS, Simon Case is now the top civil servant in the UK, Samantha Cohen had been a trusted PA/advisor for many years. They're more like producers and writers than gophers see ELF being the one who helped create Invictus with Harry. She's probably seen The West Wing. The staff are the Leos, Joshes, CJs, Tobys. Nor is there any excuse to bully your PA even if you did think it was just like a TV set. Plenty of actors and showrunners have been called out and cancelled for being terrible on set recently, being narcissistic and creating a toxic environment.

It's not about a culture clash it's about basic politeness and professionalism.

If that wasn't clear to her then it should have been clear to Harry but it seems that in these allegations he was right there with her bullying staff. I've no doubt they're not the only ones who've ever been allegedly terrible to staff because "I'm the royal here!" either but these are the ones currently alleged in the new edition of this book.

Last edited:
We don't know exactly went on between Meghan and members of staff. But, from what that article's saying, Harry went mad because William had listened to the allegations, and thought that he should have refused to believe a word of them without even looking into what had taken place. That would not have been an appropriate way for anyone to handle allegations of workplace bullying. And then, if the article's to be believed, Harry played the racism card. How was that appropriate? If someone is accused of workplace bullying, then that needs to be looked into. The ethnicity of the alleged bully is wholly irrelevant.

It's the same with the tiara stories. Harry seems to have flown off the handle every time anyone said anything! Surely he should have told William that he would speak to Meghan about what had been said and get her side of the story.

Right, the question of "why Harry would allow Meghan to allegedly treat people like this" is almost more unsettling than the idea of Meghan being so destructive.

Jason Knauf would surely not have written just about '5 am emails' - not sure why that keeps being brought up by Meghan's defenders as if that was the worst thing she's been accused of. There was sufficient evidence for the well-respected Jason Knauf - who closely worked with Harry and Meghan also in trying to protect Meghan from the media and in helping her get in touch with her father - to contact his superior.

If there is sufficient evidence then it will be provided. It really is that simple.

We are outsiders looking in. This is high profile so many will have opinions. Like us on this forum and investigative columnist like this guy—

At the end of the day the truth will be had. There just seems to be a ton of questions that need to answered about these allegations and why it took so long to be dealt with.

Last edited:
If there is sufficient evidence them it will be provided. It really is that simple.

No, bullying is often quite difficult to prove as it takes place in private or in front of people who are not that high ranking and dont want to back up accusations because they are afraid themselves. It can be very insidious and create a climate of fear and it is often not investigated properly...
As for the "eamils at 5 am" in themselves, tehy are not bad, but if they were followed up by someone yelling "I send you an eamil at 5 am and you didn't respond by 5.30 am".. "or "why didn't you reply to my email.. " yes it is unreasonable and bad behaviour.

Tan over worked production assistant on a TV show then there was no hope for her.

Well if she was also pressuring and being difficult with production assistants, in a way that 's worse. But I dont think she was enough of a star to get away with that sort of behaviour with TV gofers and staff......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom