"Adios Princesa" by David Rocasolano [Letizia's cousin] (2013)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think it has less to do with a catholic majority etc. For me it's about being prepared to decive your own family and the instititions that a heir to the throne should pay respect to. From the beginning the rushed engagement gave the impression that there is something to hide in Letizia's past and therefore she was presented as finacee straight away, before the press could start digging.

I couldn't care less about what the private citizen Letizia Ortiz has done in her past until it becomes hypocritical when representing the institutions that stand for something very different. And Felipito thinking in all honesty that anti-monarchy or other movements would back off from this farce in the long run.

I am no fan of Mette-Marit, but at least she came clear of her shortcomings with regard to her future position prior to her marriage. In comparison, Letizia Ortiz was sold as the best thing since sliced bread, and many Spaniards remained sceptical from the beginning. Letizia will polarize forever, not a good thing for Spain at all.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...Defiance-cousin-claims-abortion-new-book.html

Last edited:
... [snipped]
I am no fan of Mette-Marit, but at least she came clear of her shortcomings with regard to her future position prior to her marriage. In comparison, Letizia Ortiz was sold as the best thing since sliced bread, and many Spaniards remained sceptical from the beginning. Letizia will polarize forever, not a good thing for Spain at all. ...[snipped]
That was a shrewd move on part of the Norwegian royal family.

I've been reading this thread for a while and am wondering something. Why did the author choose to name the book "Adios Princesa". Am I reading my limited Spanish right in thinking the book title is "Goodbye Princess"?

Just the title to me suggests that he's out to discredit.

Letizia seems to be a victim of a witch hunt. Whether she did or didn't have an abortion is a private matter. It's really no one elses business except hers. This would only become an issue if she was out condemning those who have had abortions and it was proven that she'd had one.

I don't really think it's fair that she's been singled out or people want to investigate this matter. This has to do with the double standards and harsh judgment of women who don't live up to unrealistic standards.

Most people don't follow the religious faith they grew up with 100%. I'm sure that this is true of royalty in general whether they be male or female.. You don't see newspapers in their country because they don't live their religious faith 100% demanding that they be investigated or demanding that their private life being investigated.

You also don't see church leaders in their countries getting involved in their private life either even if they know that they haven't lived their faith 100%.
Chances are they don't want to touch this with a ten foot pole.

Over the centuries male royals have cheated on their spouses, fathered children out of wedlock and have done other things which are considered wrong by Church standards (doesn't matter what faith or religious background they come from. these things are universally considered by church officials to be morally wrong). The women involved with these men have always been demonized and judged or blamed for this happening over the centuries. This rarely happens to the men.

Also if this had been a case where an heir to the throne, a prince or someone high up in royalty got their girlfriend or partner pregnant and the girlfriend or partner had an abortion due to pressure from this individual or their family, I really wonder if someone would demand that they be investigated or investigate the matter. That would never happen. The woman involved would be demonized.

I am no fan of Mette-Marit, but at least she came clear of her shortcomings with regard to her future position prior to her marriage. In comparison, Letizia Ortiz was sold as the best thing since sliced bread, and many Spaniards remained sceptical from the beginning. Letizia will polarize forever, not a good thing for Spain at all.

'The world must know the truth about Princess Letizia': Defiance of cousin who claims she had an abortion in new book | Mail Online

How about MM's sex and drug tape the NRF wanted to buy (her ex boyfriend revealed later) ? The Norwegian press is nothing like the Spanish press, they don't do witch hunt. I'm sure if Felipe had married someone like MM, the Spanish press would have a lot more things to talk, to invent than whatever had been out on MM. For example, Jaime Penafiel already called MM a prostitute (no proof she was) openly. Do you naively think the Spanish press would just stop after the marriage when so many people can make a good living on the 'good' stories of their CPss ? What an easy job to invent an 'exclusive' story to pocket a few thousand euros !

Last edited:
Do you naively think the Spanish press would just stop after the marriage when so many people can make a good living on the 'good' stories of their CPss ? What an easy job to invent an 'exclusive' story to pocket a few thousand euros !

Not more or less naive than to believe that a past can buried by trying to deceive the institutions you are supposed to represent.

Not more or less naive than to believe that a past can buried by trying to deceive the institutions you are supposed to represent.

By constitution, the Spanish king is not head of the Catholic church, not an absolute requirement to have a Catholic wedding. I'm sure everyone has been burying some of their private life, has something they don't want to talk about. We don't know how Felipe and Letizia's interpretation on how to present the Spanish monarchy, they might not 100% agree with his parents.

I'm not saying letizia's cousin was 100% lying, you probably shouldn't believe 100% what he had said, especially the details (he already got many things wrong). Her cousin's story was on Sept 2003, a couple of months before the engagement, I don't know if a no name lawyer can demand the hospital to clean a client's record ? If the abortion was true, the hospital must have given a valid reason that people can't challenge maybe except Letizia herself.

Last edited:
When s.o. has an abortion, you wouldn't let your family know. And there is no way my family would know if I had an abortion or not!

If you are very close to your mother or sister, maybe you would let that person know - but I very much doubt any cousin would know about that very personal decision.

When s.o. has an abortion, you wouldn't let your family know. And there is no way my family would know if I had an abortion or not!

If you are very close to your mother or sister, maybe you would let that person know - but I very much doubt any cousin would know about that very personal decision.
I agree, but sometimes a piece of personal information could drop out "accidentally" and then may be used in the worst way.

Last edited:
I'm astonished that Jaime Penafiel did not already spoke about the content of this book, it is a dream occasion for him. Is he in good health?

I am so shocked! I cannot believe that a person betray her own relative! David Rocasolano is an evil.
The motive behind all this is to discredit Letizia in the eyes of the world.

I am so shocked! I cannot believe that a person betray her own relative! David Rocasolano is an evil.
The motive behind all this is to discredit Letizia in the eyes of the world.

Naah, I think the motive is money pure & simple.

... [snipped] Do you naively think the Spanish press would just stop after the marriage when so many people can make a good living on the 'good' stories of their CPss ? What an easy job to invent an 'exclusive' story to pocket a few thousand euros !
It would be impossible to determine whether or not the Spanish press would have started a serious onslaught. If it did, it would have been a perfect opportunity for Crown Prince Felipe to stand by the woman he loves like Crown Prince Haakon did.

Last edited:
By constitution, the Spanish king is not head of the Catholic church, not an absolute requirement to have a Catholic wedding. I'm sure everyone has been burying some of their private life, has something they don't want to talk about. We don't know how Felipe and Letizia's interpretation on how to present the Spanish monarchy, they might not 100% agree with his parents.

I'm not saying letizia's cousin was 100% lying, you probably shouldn't believe 100% what he had said, especially the details (he already got many things wrong). Her cousin's story was on Sept 2003, a couple of months before the engagement, I don't know if a no name lawyer can demand the hospital to clean a client's record ? If the abortion was true, the hospital must have given a valid reason that people can't challenge maybe except Letizia herself.

I certainly do not believe 100% David Rocasolano has to say but I believe that this whole L&F/SRF story contains a lot of hyprocracy & fakeness, contrary to the story that was sold to the public.

The public will always forgive any shortcomings when it comes along with honesty and authenticiy, but it's hard to forgive deception in order to make somebody look perfect and flawless. If you don't agree with something, then why not stand up for it, including your possibly controversial choice of wife, instead of faking consent with the conservative & catholic values, fooling the public. And now its all coming back, exploding right into the SRF's faces.

Looking behind the scenes of the SRF has been a traumatic experience for the Spanish public, which now includes every single adult member, maybe apart from Queen Sofia.

Last edited:
If the abortion story is true why would anyone in their right mind have expected Letiza or the SRF to have released that information publically at the time of the engagement or any time since then? I cannot see it as a deception in any way, unless there is some bizarre Spanish rule that says ones medical information must be a matter of public record for all members of the SRF as well as elected officials.

If the abortion story is true why would anyone in their right mind have expected Letiza or the SRF to have released that information publically at the time of the engagement or any time since then? I cannot see it as a deception in any way, unless there is some bizarre Spanish rule that says ones medical information must be a matter of public record for all members of the SRF as well as elected officials.

I think that if the abortion story is true, you should think not only twice before marrying into a catholic royal house with close links to the church, probably even violating canon law.

Is easy to see (Diana of Wales) that not much will remain private if forces are out against you. I do not say this is right, but it is reality. As a public figure, you can expect your past to be discussed publicly. Even though spanish mainstream media did not cover the book, its sold like hot cakes in Spain (at least via amazon) so Spaniards seem to be interested in who truly represents them and receives taxpayer's money.

http://www.voxxi.com/adios-princesa-princess-letizia-secrets/

Last edited:
Is easy to see (Diana of Wales) that not much will remain private if forces are out against you. I do not say this is right, but it is reality. As a public figure, you can expect your past to be discussed publicly.

True and I agree with your assessment. However, what is astonishing in this case, is IMHO the level of hate of the Letizias cousin as well as of her aunt. Pretty much must have gone wrong in the past to reach such a breakdown in communication. Plus it always takes two. A less ambitious and more family orientated Letizia might have prevented todays revelations simply by keeping a stronger family bond. Just my opinion of course.:flowers:

I think that if the abortion story is true, you should think not only twice before marrying into a catholic royal house with close links to the church, probably even violating canon law.

Is easy to see (Diana of Wales) that not much will remain private if forces are out against you. I do not say this is right, but it is reality. As a public figure, you can expect your past to be discussed publicly. Even though spanish mainstream media did not cover the book, its sold like hot cakes in Spain (at least via amazon) so Spaniards seem to be interested in who truly represents them and receives taxpayer's money.

‘Adios Princesa’—Princess Letizia's cousin reveals her dirty secrets

The public are always interested in scandal and gossip. Sex sells, not exactly a surprise. I am sure Letizia as a former journalist understands that all too well, as should other members of the SRF after the last couple of years. What I do not understand is your conviction that the public were deceived in any way. Surely the public did not expect that a 31 year old, previously married, well educated, career woman would be a virgin.

While the SRF may have official ties to the Church what makes you think that they are any more pious and devout that the Spanish public? A King has had a mistress. An Infanta has been divorced, as have other relatives in Spain.

Well, obviously Felipe tried to trick his parents by covering up the alledged abortion, its something I call deception.
And obviously living 'modern' values pre-marriage while making a 180 degree turn because it comes with the ring is something I call hypocracy.

There is a reason that the Spanish public never warmed to Letizia too much and that she caused polemic from the beginning, pretending perfection and not allowing any discussion about her past, what is normally done during a courtship. The unusual rush of events caused suspicion that has been the basis for the rumour/gossip mill over the years until these days where there seems to be no barrier left.

Well, obviously Felipe tried to trick his parents by covering up the alledged abortion, its something I call deception.
And obviously living 'modern' values pre-marriage while making a 180 degree turn because it comes with the ring is something I call hypocracy.

There is a reason that the Spanish public never warmed to Letizia too much and that she caused polemic from the beginning, pretending perfection and not allowing any discussion about her past, what is normally done during a courtship. The unusual rush of events caused suspicion that has been the basis for the rumour/gossip mill over the years until these days where there seems to be no barrier left.

Not sure why he would feel the need to inform his parents if she had had an abortion. It really isn't any of their business and it did not violate Spanish laws, but do we know for a fact that they did not know?

I don't understand you comments about living "modern values" before her 2004 marriage and making a 180 degree change. Has she portrayed herself as some sort of ultra Catholic Opus Dei type? Other than a Catholic wedding and attending Easter services with the family has she made a great display of her faith? Where is the hypocracy? Besides isn't the Catholic Church supposed to all about Christian charity and forgiveness, confess your sins, say a few Hail Marys and then be absolved of your sins and move on with your life?

In what way did she ever presented herself as being perfect? She seems to have gone about her royal role in a rather professional manner but I doubt she has ever claimed to be perfect at anything.

I was under the impression that Letizia was a rather popular figure, at least as far as any member of the SRf was ever popular in the last decade. I know there were some old school types that never got over Felipe not marrying a princess or at least a Spanish aristocrat but surely they are a minority still living in a world that has passed them by.

What evidence is there that JC did not know about it? I don't see that its obvious at all.

Was she pretending perfection or is that what people projected onto her at the time? Do we want royals who reflect society; or reflect perfection (we'll have wait a long time for one of those). This is the paradox that makes royal life unmanageable and unliveable IMO.

Posters on here are so judgemental when actually you know very little, bearing in mind the source of information in from the media (not happy that one of their own kept a secret romance from them); and who twist the story acording to the "Climate" at the time.

All the goody two shoes are passing judgement. Only God can pass judgement and he is merciful.

Perfect ... professional ... controlled ... my impression. I would pretty much see these adjectives as description for the same behaviour towards the public. Absolutely positive. However, every now and then a bit of emotion or imperfection makes one more human. That's a bit what I miss with her.

Back to the book. If - and that is a huge IF - there is indeed some truth in it, I wonder what the best strategy might be. Simply not commenting or finally an I-am-so-sorry-coming-out à la MM.

Keep quiet and carry on.

From what I have read on the forum, she had done the job of a CP very well - happily married; two children; worthwhile causes - generally good work. Perhaps a little aloof, but that might just be her.

She should carry on as she has always done. This book is not worthy of her notice. That is the line to take. She should be judged on her work as CP, not on the gossip of a possible greedy and irrational cousin.

Keep quiet and carry on.

Cepe, that's surely a good way to deal with such a situation. My concern is only, what happens if one or more major allegations turn out to be true. In such a case I am not certain, if remorse and an apology wouldn't be better. Just thinking of our former federal president Wulff who managed to stumble over his error in judgement on how to deal with certain revelations which turned into an incredibly huge media response. He had resign in the end. However, today of all the allegations just a tiny bit is still pursued by public prosecution. A tempest in teapot. It makes you ponder what had happened, had he dealt differently with the situation. From this experience I simply conclude that trying to buy time by not admitting your faults might not always be the best way. It all depends of course on the media echo. If Spanish magazines and newspapers ignore the book, she might be right to keep quiet and carry on.

I certainly do not believe 100% David Rocasolano has to say but I believe that this whole L&F/SRF story contains a lot of hyprocracy & fakeness, contrary to the story that was sold to the public.

The public will always forgive any shortcomings when it comes along with honesty and authenticiy, but it's hard to forgive deception in order to make somebody look perfect and flawless. If you don't agree with something, then why not stand up for it, including your possibly controversial choice of wife, instead of faking consent with the conservative & catholic values, fooling the public. And now its all coming back, exploding right into the SRF's faces.

Looking behind the scenes of the SRF has been a traumatic experience for the Spanish public, which now includes every single adult member, maybe apart from Queen Sofia.

A traumatic experience for the Spanish public because Letizia might have an abortion ? Too exaggerated perhaps. 80% of Spaniards are social Catholics. Do they really care (except some ultra conservative ones) if Letizia had an abortion or not ?
Since when the SRF had made Letizia look perfect or flawless ? Jaime Penafiel or Paloma Barrientos was not born yesterday. There were certain qualities of Letizia simply can't be denied, for example her academic excellence, being a hard working and successful career woman and etc. Letizia had attended some Catholic events due to her role and protocol, that doesn't make her a very conservative Catholic, I think the only one who is very religious in the SRF is Queen Sofia.

True and I agree with your assessment. However, what is astonishing in this case, is IMHO the level of hate of the Letizias cousin as well as of her aunt. Pretty much must have gone wrong in the past to reach such a breakdown in communication. Plus it always takes two. A less ambitious and more family orientated Letizia might have prevented todays revelations simply by keeping a stronger family bond. Just my opinion of course.:flowers:

Letizia's cousin had involved in a corruption case, thus she distanced herself from him. Felipe had distanced himself from his sister Cristina, no doubt Letizia would follow her husband's example. Her aunt Henar didn't say anything bad about Letizia personally, she was mainly talking about her political views or her views on Monarchy, she probably also needs money, thus gave an exclusive interview recently. There were talks about the strained relation between Henar and Letizia's father due to Henar's debt affecting the grandma. Every family has questionable characters, it doesn't make Letizia less family oriented. If Felipe and Letizia had pretended Cristina/Inaki or cousin David had done nothing wrong, they are still one big happy family, it would have been a huge disaster in Spain.

How about MM's sex and drug tape the NRF wanted to buy (her ex boyfriend revealed later) ? The Norwegian press is nothing like the Spanish press, they don't do witch hunt. I'm sure if Felipe had married someone like MM, the Spanish press would have a lot more things to talk, to invent than whatever had been out on MM. For example, Jaime Penafiel already called MM a prostitute (no proof she was) openly. Do you naively think the Spanish press would just stop after the marriage when so many people can make a good living on the 'good' stories of their CPs ? What an easy job to invent an 'exclusive' story to pocket a few thousand euros !

I find that people who make or sell sex tapes of their ex-partners are :eek:
Really,even if there was such a thing like a s.t.,I would only feel sorry for Mette-Marit or any other woman who is being exploited and deceived like that,because doing a s.movie without the consent of everyone involved or publishing such intimate details is not only shameless and immoral but also illegal as everyone has a right for privacy,in Austria/Germany you must not even photograph someone without their consent!
(Unless you are a tourist who takes pictures of famous sights in the city or you attend a public lecture/concert etc. and people constantly run into your picture,than it is allowed.)

In the case of a release of illegally received pictures/movies/informations (tapped phones,remember?), I would feel absolutely sorry for the victim of such an action & despise the person who sells such things to the public.

I feel very bad about what happened to Duchess Catherine,Prince Harry and all the other people who were illegally photographed or when people intrude in their very private life to such an extent that it is keeping them from living with their loved ones a halfway normal family life.

Remember,such an intrusion into your private matters could happen to EVERYONE of us,it is very painful and I wish no-one to suffer from being exposed in such a rude manner.

What people do in their private life is their business (as long as it stays legal!) and we might talk or discuss it,but such shameless "revelations" are cruel and not necessary. I am perfectly happy with the normal informations,seeing royals at public events,speeches & charity and I most enjoy the official photographs because the paparazzi pictures are often of very bad quality.
My wishes: News & pictures- yes!- but not at all costs and with respect for the people:flowers:

Back
Top Bottom