"1015 København K" by Trine Villemann (2007)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I fail to understand what revolutionary changes usual Danes expect from their Crown Prince.

No wonder Al bina. I don't either - and I am one of those usual Danes:rolleyes:

There's a parallel with Queen Elizabeth, who was married to the younger brother of Edward VIII and was left to pick up the pieces after the abdication. George VI was a diffident, nervous man with a stammer and an awkward disposition, and his wife is generally credited with being instrumental in his success as king. However, by all accounts she did it by providing security, warmth, support, and protection for him and the family, not by trying to remake him into something he wasn't. It was the attempt by his father to do that when he was a child which turned him into such a basket case in the first place. I don't think you can realistically ask for more from Mary than the Queen Mother provided for her husband.
Your parallel re George VI and his wife vs Mary & Fred really made me think. I believe you you hit the nail. Mary should provide all the security and love she can [which I believe she does] so that Fred will become his own man and rule the exact way he feels is correct. Mary will never change Fred (no wife ever does, believe me) but she will always be his sounding board and security. Fred on the other hand, will never come into his own until he becomes king. Look how many years it has taken Prince Charles of UK to get out from under the WIMP identification. Heavens, when he was in his early 20s, people thought his sister, P Anne had more backbone. There are still a lot that refer to him as 'milk toast' in nature. Only time will tell. I believe that Fred and Mary will make a great team in the future for their country.

No wonder Al bina. I don't either - and I am one of those usual Danes:rolleyes:

Would you not like a Crown Prince, who actually puts in a full days work? Would you not like a Crown Prince, who gives something back to his community? Would you not like a Crown Prince, who has the ability to ensure that the monarchy is also alive in 100 years time? Would you not like a Crown Prince, who does not divide the nation by making the choices, he does? Nothing revolutionary about it. Just common sense and a belief that the monarchy will not survive unless the heir to the throne pulls himself together. Other monarchies have reformed over the years. Other royals have managed to adapt to the times we are living in. Why not the Danish royals?

Would you not like a Crown Prince, who actually puts in a full days work? Would you not like a Crown Prince, who gives something back to his community? Would you not like a Crown Prince, who has the ability to ensure that the monarchy is also alive in 100 years time? Would you not like a Crown Prince, who does not divide the nation by making the choices, he does? Nothing revolutionary about it. Just common sense and a belief that the monarchy will not survive unless the heir to the throne pulls himself together. Other monarchies have reformed over the years. Other royals have managed to adapt to the times we are living in. Why not the Danish royals?

I want Crown Prince Frederik to be precisely who he is! End of story!

...and, IMO, end of monarchy after him!

Well only Danes can decide about that and if Danes share Lilla's opinion, that will not be the end that soon.

...[snipped] Other monarchies have reformed over the years. Other royals have managed to adapt to the times we are living in. Why not the Danish royals?
Well, I believe that it would be better to say that European Royal houses are required to adapt. For instance, the Japanese Imperial Family is expected to avoid changing anything much or doing other revolutionary things. Quite the contrary, members of the Japanese Imperial family must always protect and cultivate "the Japanese tradition and cultural heritage" that have not changed much over the centuries.
If you wish, you can check the following post by ChiaraC http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/743082-post36.html

I've just purchased your book online via your website Trine, and look forward to receiving and reading it very much. I will get back to this thread when I've actually read it :flowers:

I've just purchased your book online via your website Trine, and look forward to receiving and reading it very much. I will get back to this thread when I've actually read it :flowers:

Thanks, not so much for buying my book, but for keeping an open mind until you have read it!

Well, I believe that it would be better to say that European Royal houses are required to adapt. For instance, the Japanese Imperial Family is expected to avoid changing anything much or doing other revolutionary things. Quite the contrary, members of the Japanese Imperial family must always protect and cultivate "the Japanese tradition and cultural heritage" that have not changed much over the centuries.
If you wish, you can check the following post by ChiaraC http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/743082-post36.htmlhttp://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/743082-post36.html

I have been to Japan and have actually met members of your imperial family. It was a fantastic experience. Correct me if I am wrong, but to me it seemed that the imperial household is a society in itself. A society within the Japanese society, if you like. I belive the situation is slightly different, at least in Denmark, in that our royal house is the top layer of our peoples's rule. The monarchy has it's tentacles into many areas of our community and this community is changing. It is up to the royal family to change with it but still maintain the traditions and values that make it so unique for all of us. Call it adapt, reform, whatever, but some kind of movement is necessary.

Well only Danes can decide about that and if Danes share Lilla's opinion, that will not be the end that soon.

I think you are underestimating the Danish people here! In Obama's words: Change is unstoppable!

You have your oppinion. I have mine!

And good for you! I just happen to think that turning the blind eye to the obvious problems facing the Danish monarchy today is not going to help that very same monarchy. I don't know if you have read my book, but in there I list a whole load of issues that need to de dealt with,IMO. Remember: I want the Danes to have a monarchy. I just want us to have a better monarchy!

I agree. It is the fundamental nature of human beings and why CP Frederik just has to keep on going the way he does now - being himselfe.

Change in society will then make the decision for him and the monarchy!

I want the Danes to have a monarchy. I just want us to have a better monarchy!

I want that to. Just because something is excellent today - one shall not restrain oneself for making things better tomorrow. I can't imagine anyone better suited for that then CP Frederik.

Change in society will then make the decision for him and the monarchy!

No, as a human being he will do just like the rest of us human beings do. Making his own reflections upon society and his role in society and according to these reflections he will make his decisions.

That is what we all do nomatter where we live or which role in life we fullfill - that's the basis for all changes made ever since the stonage.

No, as a human being he will do just like the rest of us human beings do. Making his own reflections upon society and his role in society and according to these reflections he will make his decisions.

Very very well said, Lilla.

I think you are underestimating the Danish people here! In Obama's words: Change is unstoppable!

Well Lilla is Danish and she still thinks otherwise. I'm not underestimating, I'm listening.

Last edited:
yes and I am Danish too. I have spent many years following the royals in a professional capacity. I know where many of the fault lines lie within the monarchy. I also know that after my book was published quite a few journalists in Denmark are reconsidering the way, they cover the royal family. I am no longer the only one asking critical questions. A momentum is slowly building. Even the palace has made some subtle changes. I understand that people are reluctant to change, people like Lilla, who prefer the status quo, but in my - not so humble - opinion, we passed the point of status quo, when my book was published. The monarchy IS already moving forward. The question is: Will it's currents inhabitants move with it?

Are you saying your book made the Royal Family go forward ? ... :eek:

I understand that people are reluctant to change, people like Lilla, who prefer the status quo,

Villeman you are free to have whatever oppinion you like - and you can express these oppinions whenever you like. That is democracy and it is what freedom of speach is all about.

Therefore you - of course - are also free to express your oppinion about what is going on inside my brain. Pretty risky though - as the chances for you hitting Bullseye is next to nothing.

Trine is the Danish Princess Di, obviously! The saviour of the monarchy!:ROFLMAO:

Right :D Hopefully, queen Margrethe is aware that there is a walking, talking oracle walking around somewhere outside Denmark who knows just about e v e r y t h i n g about the royal Danish family - just in case QMII needed some more unsolicited advice :rolleyes:

I've just come from a holiday on a meditrainan coast and I took the book with me. Now let me voce my opinion. I am born and bred British, and since Charles and Diana's wedding I have followed and read just about e/thg reg the BRF, I go to car boot sales and look for old books and the lot. I know alot about the BRF. I have only recently (the past couple of years) followed the other royals. Holland, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Belgium etc. I actually found the book very informative, easy to read, flowed well.
Yes it does criticize the DRF, so what? it isn't writen in a malicious way. The facts are written, and so far no lawsuit is pending. Have you read other lit. regarding other RF's? Last spring I read a book about QEII which was written for her 70th b-day, It was just as this was informative, and wrote also about the weaker points of all the BRF The Queen, PHILIP, Charles, andrew the kents Glouscestors, history etc. I have a feeling many people who are "trinnie bashing" just can't bear their very favourate fairytale CP being exposed as being oh my gosh...HUMAN ;)

I've just come from a holiday on a meditrainan coast and I took the book with me. Now let me voce my opinion. I am born and bred British, and since Charles and Diana's wedding I have followed and read just about e/thg reg the BRF, I go to car boot sales and look for old books and the lot. I know alot about the BRF. I have only recently (the past couple of years) followed the other royals. Holland, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Belgium etc. I actually found the book very informative, easy to read, flowed well.
Yes it does criticize the DRF, so what? it isn't writen in a malicious way. The facts are written, and so far no lawsuit is pending. Have you read other lit. regarding other RF's? Last spring I read a book about QEII which was written for her 70th b-day, It was just as this was informative, and wrote also about the weaker points of all the BRF The Queen, PHILIP, Charles, andrew the kents Glouscestors, history etc. I have a feeling many people who are "trinnie bashing" just can't bear their very favourate fairytale CP being exposed as being oh my gosh...HUMAN ;)

What book was that?

*elspeth wanders over to amazon.com*

I've been reading this thread with the utmost interest because I always think it's a good thing if someone publishes something that's not just another voice in the crowd, but something that's asking questions, especially unpopular ones relating royalty. Coming from a monarchy myself I think there's nothing wrong with having some watch dogs around to keep things and spirits awake. One can agree with the things that are stated, one can't agree with it but it certainly makes some interesting reading. And I've always trusted my own brain and good opinion a lot, so I don't see why things in this thread need to get so personal towards Trine. You can agree with her, you cannot agree with her, but arguments are always the fairest way to state your case, imvho.

It's really time I get myself a credit card, so I can start ordering books online. :rolleyes: Buying royalty related things in print is taking this obsession to another level, ahem... This paying-digital-is-frightening granny is not yet sure if she wants to do that. ;) But I trust that GrandDuchess can provide me with a good summary the minute she read the book.

I have to say though, that when an author starts taking credit for change within an insititution that is as old as the Danish Royal Family, I not only take his or her comments with a sack of salt, but I begin to wonder just how much of the book might be self serving nonsense.

It's one thing if the book can quote sources, it's quite another when all of those sources are "according to a close friend", "A source close to the RF", etc, etc. Now, I know that a writer should generally not name their sources, as that is their life blood, but as far as I can ascertain, (and again, I have not yet read the book.) not a single source was named within the book. That in and of itself makes me a bit suspicious.

Also, when an author comes onto a forum for a purpose that is at least on the surface to solely promote his or her book, I again have doubts.

And then, I would like to know how many Danes are taking this book seriously? And just how many Danes are taking Trine Villemann seriously? From what it sounds like, not many, despite the authors claims.

Someone mentioned lawsuits.. Well, the Royal Families don't tend to embroil themselves in lawsuits with the tabloid press either. (Not that I am saying that this is akin to a tabloid, or that it's not), but some things are often so clearly ridiculous and silly, that there's really no sense in going after the publisher or authors.

But I suppose one of my main points of contention here is that the author, despite claims to the contrary, posts often as if she thinks that she is speaking for the majority of the Danes, or at least that is the way I read it. And that she is taking credit not only for changes within the monarchy, but also with the Danish press. For someone who lives in a country other than the one that she is writing about, I somehow have doubts on that matter as well. It's not as if this author is a Nobel Prize winner whose works have a credible reason for affecting the manner in which others are reporting. But again, this is MY opinon. I think that if there are changes, they've come about with the palace and the press, as many changes do come, over time, and not in response to this event. The book is not some catastrophic event which required change, not like a war, lawsuits or revolution. Then I can understand change being made immediately. The authors claims that changes have been made solely because of her and her book seem to me incredible.

Could any of the Danish members on this board respond to Villemanns claims that things have changed both in the monarchy and the way that the press is reporting because of her actions and her book?

I fully agree with your opinion, Empress.
One more point ... I do not think that it is correct to apply the slogan of Senator Obama to the Danish context.

Back
Top Bottom