Sex, name, godparents and Duchy for Carl-Philip and Sofia's 1st child

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guess the sex of Carl Philip and Sofia's first child

• Boy

Votes: 46 67.6%
  • Girl

Votes: 22 32.4%
  • Twins - Boy, Boy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Twins - Girl, Girl

• Twins - Boy, Girl

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
If a boy i can see him being created Duke of Södermanland. Why ? To make sure he will get the rights to use Stenhammar Castle at wich Carl Philip will be the tenant after the King. In the will of the first owner Mr Robert Von Kraemer who testamented Stenhammar to the swedish state, it is stipulated that a swdish royal prince by blood, preferably the Duke of Södermanland if there is one should be the tenant.

If a girl, there are a lot of options. As i've earlier suggested Duchess of
Dalarna i'm going to stick to that.

Godparents ? I can see Daniel being selected this time instead of Victoria as she have a lot of royal godchildren and Daniel has none. And it is no secret that Carl Philip and Daniel likes each other very much. I'd say

H.R.H Prince Daniel

H.R.H Princess Madeleine

Mr Jan-Åke Hansson

Lina or Sara Hellqvist

A good friend to Sofia

My final guess on the name and Duchy:

HRH Prince Carl Erik Bertil of Sweden, Duke of Halland.

I think that Erik and Bertil are safe bets. But perhaps he will be called a third name that will surprise us all.

I think he will become Duke of Södermanland

I stand by my last choice:

Prince Carl Erik Bertil

Like Nicolas, Oscar and Estelle I think they will honor the grandparents. Leonor doesn't have Silvia (perhaps Maddie didn't want to use it as Victoria had). Carl and Gustaf have been used by his sisters, but since Carl is part of his own name, I think CP will use it.

Duchy I don't see them using Halland so soon or I hope. My guess:

Be nice if they used one that has yet to have had a duke (like with Nico)

Prince Carl Erik Bertil. Duke of Norbotten

but I see them using an older title like

Duke of Narke

This poll has been closed.

Congratulations to the 46 voters who guessed right!

I still hope he Will be duke of Lappland
Name: Carl Johan Bertil

i also think the baby's name will be Carl, to keep with tradition of a male heir in the family.

middle name Bertil is a possibility.

I hope the baby will get a unexpected name as it was for his cousins. (Only Oscar was a bir predicable).

I would like a Thomas Carl Erik

I hope the baby will get a unexpected name as it was for his cousins. (Only Oscar was a bir predicable).

I would like a Thomas Carl Erik

Naming him Carl (the most common name among Swedish monarchs) may be actually controversial as some people might interpret it as a statement by the King that Carl Philip is the most senior male agnate in the House of Bernadotte and that his firstborn son is his heir as head of the family. I know it is far-fetched, but, given the history surrounding the change to the Law of Succession and the King's personal opinion on the matter, it is not inconceivable that the controversy might arise.

Naming him Carl (the most common name among Swedish monarchs) may be actually controversial as some people might interpret it as a statement by the King that Carl Philip is the most senior male agnate in the House of Bernadotte and that his firstborn son is his heir as head of the family. I know it is far-fetched, but, given the history surrounding the change to the Law of Succession and the King's personal opinion on the matter, it is not inconceivable that the controversy might arise.

I would appreciate a new name. But knowing that this baby is a boy, and the opinion of the king, I don't expect that.

Last edited by a moderator:

While I agree that Carl is a kingly name, there are precedents for using it for younger sons and even a son of a younger son (Prince Carl, Duke of Östergötland).

I hope the king will not publicly insinuate that Prince Carl Philip's son should be the future head of the house, but if that is his wish, he might give his grandson the duchy of Södermanland, which is one of the duchies that formerly belonged to Swedish monarchs of the House of Bernadotte. The others are Värmland, Östergötland, and Skåne, which King Carl XVI Gustaf granted to Prince Carl Philip, Princess Estelle, and Prince Oscar respectively.

Carl Axel Erik Bertil

or less common

Gustav Carl Erik (Bertil)
Arthur Carl Erik (Bertil)
Petrus Carl Erik (Bertil)
Sebastian Carl Erik (Bertil)

Last edited:
While I agree that Carl is a kingly name, there are precedents for using it for younger sons and even a son of a younger son (Prince Carl, Duke of Östergötland).

I hope the king will not publicly insinuate that Prince Carl Philip's son should be the future head of the house, but if that is his wish, he might give his grandson the duchy of Södermanland, which is one of the duchies that formerly belonged to Swedish monarchs of the House of Bernadotte. The others are Värmland, Östergötland, and Skåne, which King Carl XVI Gustaf granted to Prince Carl Philip, Princess Estelle, and Prince Oscar respectively.

Both Östergötland and Södermanland was also in the past given to younger sons. Östegötland even to the son of a younger son (the late Prince Carl Bertnadotte hwas Duke of Ösgtergötland before his marrriages and loss of successioin rights and Titles). And Prince Vilhelm, the second son of King Gustaf V. was Duke of Södermanland.

Until the king and his son, Carl was in fact more commonly used for younger sons.

-the king's father was Gustaf Adolph, his youngest brother Carl Johan
-the king's grandfather was Gustaf Adolph was born Oscar, his younger brother was Carl (they both went by secondary names, Carl went by Wilhelm)
-Gustav V's younger brother was Carl, Duke of Vastergotland

Until CG and CP, the last first born son to be named Carl was Oscar I's eldest son who reigned as Charles XV and his son who died in infancy when Oscar was still king. Oscar's father was the first Bernadotte king Charles but he notably didn't give the name Carl to his only son.

Before the Bernadottes:
-Charles XIII (who Jean-Baptiste Bernadotte was the heir of) was a younger son of Adolf Frederik. Gustav III was his elder brother.
-Gustaf III's eldest son and heir was Gustav IV, his younger son was named Carl Gustav, Duke of Smaland
-Carl IX was the very youngest of his father's multiple children, Eric XIV and John III of Sweden were his older brothers
-Carl VII was the younger son of Sverker 1 of Sweden

So if this baby is Carl he would be in good company.

:previous: I was laughing because of my link. When I think of Princess Sofia and a Prince Axel I think of 'Sofia the first'. That's why I am laughing.

Though I think Axel seems a more likely future Danish name IMO.

The naming and duchy awarding tomorrow would tell if the king really wants his son back in as crown prince. The duchy the baby gets should be on par with Leonore and Nicolas'. The name - that's tricky. If named after a monarch, it can be interpreted that this prince should be closer to the crown than he is. All parties involved need to be politic in the choosing of the name.

@countessmeout - I think when Victoria is queen she will see to it that Daniel is fully recognized as the first gentleman of Sweden and as such has pre-eminence over others in the family, with the exception of Silvia. (I guess this has to go by the Riksdag.) CP may be the head of the agnate line, but he is not a future sovereign and neither is his firstborn son.

:previous: I think we will only see 3. The only grandchild with 4 is Estelle.

I would laugh if they named him Axel. All I would think of is this :ROFLMAO:

Prince Axel - Sofia the First Wiki - Wikia

I was thinking of that too, but I just cannot see any of those names not included amongst the little prince's names. Maybe it could be three by counting Carl-Something as one? But I just cannot see them not using Carl, his dad's and paternal grandfather's name, Erik, his maternal grandfather's name, Bertil, whom CP was really close to and well indeed something "fresh and new" so that little prince gets his own little name.

I think that's a really cute show. I bet little Estelle watches it with her little cousins :lol:

Axel is not a bad suggestion, actually. It's a fairly popular name in Sweden (in 2015's top 10, IIRC) and it was the name of Princess Margaretha of Sweden's husband, Prince Axel of Denmark.

I was indeed thinking of Princess Margaretha's husband. Thank you for the baby name information too! I didn't know it was a popular name these days. I think it sounded cool. :flowers:

Even double barrel first names seem to be counted as 2. CP has four names like his sisters, Carl Philip counting as 2.

Like Estelle, Leonor and Nicolas, I think the baby will get his 'personal' name first. But like Estelle, be a name in honor of someone the couple has a connection to. I am leaning more towards Bertil Carl Erik now.

I think that's a really cute show. I bet little Estelle watches it with her little cousins
:flowers: I wonder if Uncle CP has ever watched the show with her. He seems to be a doting Uncle :) They already have their own Princess Sofia, who knows, they may think it cool to have their own Prince Axel :cool:

The name and title has been released: Prince Alexander Erik Hubertus Bertil. Duke of Sodermanland.

This thread has been re-opened and OT bickering has been removed. Please REPORT posts that are deemed offensive or off topic.

Last edited:
I wonder if the Hubertus is an indication that Carl Philip's relative, Prince Hubertus of Saxe Coburg Gotha is going to be a godfather?

No idea for the godparents, it's always a mistery to me. Victoria would be the ony safe bet IMO.

I am thinking a sister from each side, a friend from each side and then no guess on the other 1 or 2

I wonder if the Hubertus is an indication that Carl Philip's relative, Prince Hubertus of Saxe Coburg Gotha is going to be a godfather?

I think Hubertus might be for the King.

I like Alexander as a choice. I wasn't expecting that at all.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom