Princess Sofia & Prince Carl Philip expect a third child in March/April 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Congratulations to Carl-Phillip, Sofia and their sons with this happy news!

Joyous news! The happiest days are when a baby is born. ????

Congratulations to Princess Sofia, Prince Carl Philip, and their families!

Congratulations to Prince Carl Philip and Princess Sofia. I hope it is a girl, a sister to Prince Alexander and Prince Gabriel.

Alexander looks like Carl Philip and Gabriel is a Sofia mini me. I wonder what this baby will look like ;) maybe a mix of the two? How exciting!

wow, i wasn't expecting it but it looks like CP&S are very doting parents and enjoy that role so not surprising. we saw them last in late october in their visit to their duchy and sofia wasn't showing back then. she may have been a 4/5 or so months pregnant given the dates.

it is a bit worrying that sofia caught COVID during the first trimester of pregnancy.

i believe you may mean november 26th, as on october 28th they visited Karlstad.

I just looked at the fashion of Sofia on that visit where she was wearing that nice coat, black top and light skirt. I hadn't seen the picture of her without the coat sitting down and she definitely looks 4 months pregnant!

The child will be the 1t grandchild of the king to be born after the change of titles in October 2019.

Congratulations to Princess Sofia and Prince Carl Philip! A lovely surprise.

I will e-mail the people of the information department and ask about this.

Thank you, it's much appreciated. Hopefully they will provide a clear and knowledgeable answer, and if the grandchildren are indeed being treated differently than the sisters, explain why.

I am not insisting that i am right - but i want to have it straight what’s right and what’s wrong. Otherwise we can speculate and debate this in all eternity.

Likewise. :flowers: I would not insist that I am completely sure, especially given this family's history of inconsistent or illogical decisions and announcements (for example, claiming that Princess Leonore was not a Swedish or British citizen when per the laws of Sweden and Britain she was, or their insistence that the constitutional requirements for heirs to the throne no longer apply to her and the other excluded grandchildren).

:previous:

While Ms. Thorgren did not go into details, it sounds as if there will be no downgrade in the official festivities surrounding the birth, except inasmuch as the pandemic forces adaptations to be made.

I wonder if the choice to bestow full royal pageantry on the birth of a non-member of the Royal House is a one-time exception to prevent unequal treatment between the Prince Couple's three children, or if it is intended that Prince Oscar's future children will be welcomed in the same way although they will not be members of the Royal House.

I still wonder how the issues of the coat of arms and Order (if any) will be treated. As I wrote earlier in this thread, these have limitations placed on them by law.

:previous:

While Ms. Thorgren did not go into details, it sounds as if there will be no downgrade in the official festivities surrounding the birth, except inasmuch as the pandemic forces adaptations to be made.

I wonder if the choice to bestow full royal pageantry on the birth of a non-member of the Royal House is a one-time exception to prevent unequal treatment between the Prince Couple's three children, or if it is intended that Prince Oscar's future children will be welcomed in the same way although they will not be members of the Royal House.

I still wonder how the issues of the coat of arms and Order (if any) will be treated. As I wrote earlier in this thread, these have limitations placed on them by law.

Good point. The Order of the Seraphim is restricted by law to members of the Royal House and foreign Heads of State (or people of equivalent rank). What are the regulations for coats of arms?

Last edited:
I suppose they're still finding their footing. The trimming of the Royal House is still a new thing there. And there is the unequal treatment between the children not of siblings but the same father factor.

Good point. The Order of the Seraphim is restricted by law to members of the Royal House and foreign Heads of State (or people of equivalent rank). What are the regulations for coats of arms?

The law invests the King with the authority to confer differenced versions of the King's royal coat of arms (which is also the national coat of arms of the Kingdom of Sweden) on members of the Royal House as their personal coats of arms.

The law makes no mention of any individuals outside of the Royal House who are eligible to be conferred with the royal coat of arms, as far as I can see. When for instance Prince Sigvard left the Royal House, he received a new non-royal coat of arms.

Lag (1982:268) om Sveriges riksvapen Svensk författningssamling 1982:1982:268 - Riksdagen

Statschefen kan ge andra medlemmar av det kungliga huset tillåtelse att som personligt vapen bruka stora riksvapnet med de ändringar och tillägg som statschefen bestämmer.​

Here are the regulations for orders:

Ordenskungörelse (1974:768) Svensk författningssamling 1974:1974:768 t.o.m. SFS 1995:1025 - Riksdagen

I wonder if Carl Gustav will um, try and grandfather the baby into an Order of Seraphim and a royal COA to make things equal between siblings? Fudge the difference between royal family and Royal House for just this?

Either that or have CP and Sofia announce that they are giving up those things on behalf of their sons so that the children will be equal.

Or leave things as they appear to stand and give the baby a Duchy but nothing else.

I tend to actually assume they'll want to try the first option if all the associated pageantry is carrying on as usual pandemic permitting but that's not very much to go on.

Princess Sofia and Prince Carl Philip have welcomed a third son today, March 26, the new thread can be found here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom