Princes Alexander, Gabriel and Julian, News and Pictures Part 1: September 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A handsome little guy, and indeed the Hellqvist genes are strong.

Prince Gabriel turns 4 today, August 31, and his parents have released a lovely new portrait:

** Pic **

Julian's newly painted Coat of Arms of the Order of the Seraphim was presented today at the Regular Chapter of the Royal Order at the Royal Palace.
https://www.kungahuset.se/images/18...ordenskapitel_foto_Leif_Ericsson_KMO_1920.jpg

I suppose the lower left quadrant of Prince Julian's coat of arms must be based on the arms of the province of Halland as usual in Swedish royal heraldry.

Given that most new Knights of the Seraphim are now presidents of foreign republics and most republics do not grant personal arms, I wonder who designs their Seraphim banners.

His hair visibly darkened!

Is it normal for Sweden to have children start preschool at only 1 1/2 years old?
Children most often start preschool aged 1-1,5 when their parents return to work part or full time. Preschool is voluntary from 1 years old and mandatory from 6 years old. The mandatory year is most often integrated with school.

Last edited:
Children most often start preschool aged 1-1,5 when their parents return to work part or full time. Preschool is voluntary from 1 years old and mandatory from 6 years old. The mandatory year is most often integrated with school.

Thanks, the voluntary part is rather early - while the mandatory part is relatively late (compared to other countries - as it is in other Scandinavian countries as well). What does 'preschool' consist of? Is it truly a preschool or more like a daycare center? How many hours a week do they attend?

Margareta Thorgren told to Svensk Damtidning, that Alexander starts his preschool year at Djurgårdsskolan. Djurgårdsskolan is a small free school located in a beautiful old wooden house near Skansen.
Prins Alexander, 6, börjar skolan! Sofias beslut för sonen _*Svensk Dam

Djurgårdsskolan currently has 94 students divided into a preschool class, and grades 1, 2 and 3.
HEM _ Djurgårdsskolan

Djurgårdsskolan is about 2,3 kilometers from Campus Manilla, where Estelle and Oscar study.

The Swedish school system _ sweden.se

Last edited:
Margareta Thorgren told to Svensk Damtidning, that Alexander starts his preschool year at Djurgårdsskolan. Djurgårdsskolan is a small free school located in a beautiful old wooden house near Skansen.
Prins Alexander, 6, börjar skolan! Sofias beslut för sonen _*Svensk Dam

Djurgårdsskolan currently has 94 students divided into a preschool class, and grades 1, 2 and 3.
HEM _ Djurgårdsskolan

Djurgårdsskolan is about 2,3 kilometers from Campus Manilla, where Estelle and Oscar study.

The Swedish school system _ sweden.se

Are Djurgårdsskolan pupils predominantly from well-to-do Swedish families as in Campus Manilla, or does this school have a more diverse student body?

I wonder why Svensk Damtidning refers to the school as "Sofia's choice". It doesn't appear that Margareta Thorgren clarified whether the school choice was made by Alexander's father, mother, or both (surely the last is likeliest).

Last edited:
A bit pity that Alexander and Oscar don't attend the same class.

Are Djurgårdsskolan pupils predominantly from well-to-do Swedish families as in Campus Manilla, or does this school have a more diverse student body?

I wonder why Svensk Damtidning refers to the school as "Sofia's choice". It doesn't appear that Margareta Thorgren clarified whether the school choice was made by Alexander's father, mother, or both (surely the last is likeliest).
Based on the information available about the school I'd say it's almost guaranteed to have predominantly students from a privileged background enrolled. The website for instance says that students living close to the school or with a family connection to the school goes before other applicants.

Last edited:
Based on the information available about the school I'd say it's almost guaranteed to have predominantly students from a privileged background enrolled. The website for instance says that students living close to the school or with a family connection to the school goes before other applicants.

Thanks. It's interesting that despite entering the royal family from solidly middle-class families (which hasn't yet happened in many other royal families in Europe) both Daniel and Sofia have made or at least concurred with the choice to raise their children within a privileged cohort.

Thanks. It's interesting that despite entering the royal family from solidly middle-class families (which hasn't yet happened in many other royal families in Europe) both Daniel and Sofia have made or at least concurred with the choice to raise their children within a privileged cohort.

I don't think it is a matter of choosing your children's classmates, but rather much more a matter of choosing the school that will give your children the best education, is aligned with the parents' values, and is convenient to the family (based on location for example). Realistically, even in "social-democratic countries", the best schools are normally attended in disproportionate numbers by pupils from the "privileged cohort".

Besides, members of the Royal Family are privileged by definition. It is pointless in my humble opinion to try to pretend otherwise for PR reasons. My impression is that most people don't mind the privileges of a Royal Family as long as they do their duty as public servants, do not get into controversies, and are not overtly extravagant or futile.

Last edited:
Sofia and Carl Philip released a new photo of Gabriel to mark his 5th birthday today, August 31:

"Today we celebrate our lovely and humble Gabriel on his 5th anniversary❤"

** instagram post **

Last edited:
It's Julian's 2nd birthday today, March 26, and his parents shared a very cute new photo of him:

** instagram post **

And the length of his hair is...... somewhat undecided.

IMO Alexander is the handsomest child in the family.

Prince Gabriel celebrates his 6th birthday today, August 31!

The family shared a lovely new portrait:

** instagram post **

What a lovely photo to mark is birthday and hard to believe the Prince is 3 already!

Back
Top Bottom