Prince Carl Philip's Education/Work in Photography and Design

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I actually think P Carl Phillip is a talented designer!

Oh yes, he can design exceptional pieces. An unusual quality for a royal but non the less Prince Carl Phillip has a unique and creative gift. Look forward to seeing many more of his beautiful designs.

Oh yes, he can design exceptional pieces. An unusual quality for a royal but non the less Prince Carl Phillip has a unique and creative gift. Look forward to seeing many more of his beautiful designs.
He comes from a family of exceptional artists, Queen Margarethe of Denmark and Sigvard Bernadotte for example.

He definitely has an artistic eye as seen in the photographs from his exhibit/book. The candle holders and cups are okay...but I've always been unimpressed with the cutlery/silverware. They may complete the job of a knife, spoon, or fork, but they are not very practical/functional for use as the design is too simplified and not done with an accounting of the human hand and its movements.

Last edited:
Miss Hellqvist's dentures have made a noticeable transformation.

I remember reading from somewhere that miss Hellqvist has no income.

More photos
Prins Carl Philip presenterade nytt porslin | Svensk Damtidning

A short video of last night, Carl Philip arriving and a short clip of Sofia.
"Jag mår jättebra!" | Inrikes | Nyheter | Webbtv | Aftonbladet

Press release of the desings of Carl Philip and Oscar Kylberg.
Gustavsbergs Porslinsfabrik - Design av Simon och Tomas
According to Svensk Damtidning, the price is 155 euros each.

The man with Sofia is William Värnild, a make up artist from Make Up Store.
https://cawamedia.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/dsc_0068.jpg
https://cawamedia.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/dsc_0069.jpg
https://cawamedia.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/dsc_00601.jpg
https://cawamedia.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/dsc_0066.jpg
https://cawamedia.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/dsc_0056.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, I'm on Sophia's side. That article including information on her dental work is awful. Whether she has an income or not is irrelevant. People always say that Royal folk should choose those they love, not let others do that for them. What makes CP and Sophia different? I just hope she doesn't turn in to one of the Royal girlfriends who decides to wait 10 or so years.

I'd like to see him propose this coming weekend.

The bowls are quite nice but way too over-priced.

From PurePeople
Prince Carl Philip-Sofia Hellqvist : Leur été de porcelaine continue à Stockholm

Prince Carl Philip and designer Oscar Kylberg, along with well-known Swedish former reality TV show contestant and nude model turned philanthropist Sofia Hellqvist, presented their new design for children's china at the NK warehouse in Stockholm last night.
Miss Hellqvist's dentures have made a noticeable transformation.

Lehtikuva Gallery of pics:
Prinssi Carl Philip on jo toipunut edustuskuntoon viikonlopun katunujakasta | Lehtikuva | lehtikuva.fi

I find your comments so trashy that it makes a mockery out of any intelligent attempt to maintain a royal discussion board.

Carl Philip and Oscar Kylberg visited yesterday the Formex Nordic Design and Interior Exhibition, where there designs of porcelain are presented.
Formgivarna Bernadotte & Kylberg besökte Formexmässans första dag | Formex Magazine

These designs aren't very practical, experts say, they are not good for the dishwasher and they take much space in the china cupboard. These are not something you buy lots of. It has the fine china, perhaps you can serve the finest sweets in it. The children can probably open the box until they are 18 years old. The ears in them will be broken very easily. They are childish, but they are not for children. But perhaps for the grandmother. There could have been more colour in them. And the price is way too high. They could be nice Christmas gifts for them who can afford to buy them. The experts thank the designers of using swedish animals.
Titta, nu blir han en porslinsprins | Nyheter | Aftonbladet

Last edited:
The designs might appeal to some grown-ups, but for children it should be functional and robust-otherwise they won´t be allowed to use it.(No parent would like an expensive china smashed to smithers by their loved ones!)

Last edited:
"Vandra Rugs has invited four well-known Swedish designers; industrial designer Monica Förster, architect Tomas Eriksson (TEA), the fashion house Hope and the design duo Bernadotte & Kylberg to each create one unique art rug. The rugs are to be sold at the auction house Bukowskis’ contemporary sale on November 15th 2012, all proceeds will be donated to the World Childhood Foundation. Childhood was founded by HM Queen Silvia of Sweden in an effort to reach and support children at risk around the world. The foundation’s focus is on protecting children from sexual abuse as well as supporting those who have already fallen victim, with a concentration on girls and young mothers."
Vandra Rugs
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

Carl Philip and Oscar Kylberg presented today at the Gustavsbergs Porslinsfabrik two new additions to their "Svenska Djur" - porcelain serie, "Gräsand" and "Rödräv". They will be sold in NK already from tomorrow.
Fler Svenska Djur Redaktionsbloggen
https://www.gustavsbergsporslinsfabrik.se/design-bernadotte-kylberg.php

Prinsens nya skålar – rödräv och gräsand Leva & bo Inredning, tips om möbler, trädgård, heminredning, bygg Expressen
Translation

Photo from Bernadotte & Kylberg's Facebook
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/965137_630629123631413_1865927519_o.jpg

Rörstrand presents Swedish Red list in collaboration with the Environmental Protection Agency and Prince Carl Philip.
Behind the idea and concept development for Rörstrands Swedish Red list is Prince Carl Philip, designer, Rörstrands employee Anna Lerinder stands for form and design and the illustrations taken from Swedish flora and fauna are designed by Stefan Högberg.
Rörstrands Swedish Red list illustrates five endangered species from the Swedish Red List species databank created by the Environmental Protection Agency. The list shows about 4,000 threatened and deprived animals and plants in Sweden and Rorstrand have chosen to focus on the following five: field bumblebee, “rustyback”, snowy owls, larger Capricorn Beetle and green toad.
Rorstrand presented the Swedish Red list at the gallery Sven-Harry in Stockholm with a press conference and briefing for invited guests.
Photos
All Over Press Finland

Carl Philip is so happy that Rörstrand took his idea. The collection looks better than he expected.
Härligt hemma Prinsen ”Kul att de hakade på min idé”
Translation

http://distilleryimage5.s3.amazonaws.com/f925cf60032d11e38b9422000a1f8af5_7.jpg
http://distilleryimage11.s3.amazonaws.com/8d57af62033511e393e422000aaa09ed_7.jpg

Prins Carl Philip designar för Rörstrand
Prins Carl Philip och Rörstrand i samarbete Leva & bo Inredning, tips om möbler, trädgård, heminredning, bygg Expressen

Last edited:
Rorstrand have chosen to focus on the following five: field bumblebee, “rustyback”, snowy owls, larger Capricorn Beetle and green toad.
Otherwise beautiful designs, but that greenish decoration of a plate (the back of a green toad?) looks like a plate forgotten for months without washing after eating pea soup.

Prince Carl Philip accused of plagiarism

Prince Carl Philip accused of plagiarism

All creators are inspired by other creators. But Hedvig Hagwall Bruckner at the advertising agency King wonders if Prince Carl Philip has gone beyond that: "Anyone who looks a little backwards in china history quickly finds that what Prince Carl Philip describes as his idea is remarkably like Paul Hoff's original idea "species at risk" for Gustavsberg. He could not have missed Gustavsbergs serie. But he says nothing about it"

Prince Carl Philip is accused of systematically plagiarizing others' artwork. He is attacked by the advertising agency King's praised creator Hedvig Hagwall Bruckner who believes that Prince's latest tableware collection with the Swedish flora and fauna is a clean copy of Gustavberg's classic series ”Arter i fara" (Species in danger)"
- I get so provoked. Carl Philip's idea? Nonsense, he continues the brazen imitations, she says.
Carl Philip has also previously been accused of plagiarism. A couple of years ago, these involved prince's and Swedish Tenn's Fire Place Screen "Slottet brinner ("The castle is burning") - "clear plagiarism" by Matteo Mocchis and Gspots "1666 AND DCCCXVII AUC," according to Hannes Dükler at Svenska Dagbladet.
Bruckner roars about Prince's latest work - porcelain design to Rörstrand with designs depicting endangered animals and plant species. Prince is reported to have come up with the idea himself, which has become a truth in the Swedish media.
Bruckner says that generally, it is a fact that everyone who works with form and art is inspired by different things. But is it this close to something that has already been made, it is strange that the journalists didn't ask the prince about it. He's getting away. There is a little too friendly approach to Carl Philip. It is also presented as it is he who made things, but then it turns out that he only got the idea, and the artisans and artists in the project, no cred at all.
Bruckner says that "Slottet brinner" and this new serie are both obvious plagiarism. The prince couldn't have missed Gustavsberg's series. Bruckner says that if she had made a porcelain series that was such a copy of Gustavsberg, she felt compelled to say that she have been so inspired by it that she made a modern version of it. But the prince says nothing about it.
Resumé ”Carl Philip fortsätter det skamlösa plagierandet”
Translation

The court argues that Prince Carl Philip who is accused of plagiarism has never even seen Gustavsberg's classic series "Arter i fara" which he accused of having copied.
Prince Carl Philip has not known any similar series when he got the idea for Rörstrands Swedish Red list, says Ulrika Näsholm, information officer at the court.
Ulrika Näsholm then refers to Martina Hansson, PR manager at Fiskars.
Martina Hansson does not see any similarities between collections: I think Rörstrands Swedish Red List is a unique and different concept based on Carl Philip's interest in animals, nature and the environment.
But the similarities are striking even for a layman, both the idea and the design, comment?
- Visually there are no similarities. Our concept is very different, it is a storage concept where one can build their own composition. "Arter i fara" is more collection plates to hang on the wall. Bringing in animals and nature in the interior is a trend and this is a completely different idea, says Hansson.
Resumé Hovet Carl Philip har inte känt till Gustavsbergs serie
Translation

What is interesting in this is - that Carl Philip and his partner Oscar Kylberg have designed for Gustavsberg so far, and this is Carl Philip's first design for Rörstrand. It seems odd that he wouldn't have familiarized himself with Gustavsberg's former designs when he started design for them.

The fire place screens
Matteo Mocchis and Gspots "1666 AND DCCCXVII AUC"
https://2.bp.blogspot.com/_tZ4uo8wHDO0/S6tVaGc87YI/AAAAAAAABRk/8b784X1fmnU/s1600/fire-screen.jpg

Carl Philip's and Svensk Tenn's "Slottet brinner"
https://4.bp.blogspot.com/_tZ4uo8wH...BRs/h7BUm845DcU/s1600/eldskarm620_573871q.jpg

Hedvig Hagwall Bruckner said to Expressen:
- I think it looks like a plagiarism. Then it's a really difficult question of fact and ideas can occur independently of each other, said Hedvig Hagwall Bruckner to Expressen.se.
The idea behind both series is to showcase Swedish endangered species in porcelain. According to her, it is no wonder that someone is inspired by previous works that has seen, either consciously or unconsciously, and then use those as part of the inspiration process.
- I'm not at all critical of porcelain series. I don't mind that he had the chance to do it. But it's strange that no one has drawn parallels to Gustavsberg's "Arter i fara", which is a great and famous serie. I think he or anyone else might have seen "Arter i fara" and talked about that it would be fun to do something like that and then do something, but without comment. In a world with Google it's ought to look at their ideas. I know myself that in amongst when I work so I can make suggestions, but when someone says that it is already done, says Bruckner.
Bruckner believes that people in the prince's proximity are reluctant to make remarks, because of the position that Carl Philip holds.
- I find it hard to believe that Prince Carl Philip is running around for ideas to steal, but I think that because he is who he is people do not say anything on time, says Bruckner.
Bruckner doesn't believe that this will give any consequences for Carl Philip.
Prins Carl Philip blir anklagad för plagiat Leva & bo Inredning, tips om möbler, trädgård, heminredning, bygg Expressen
Translation

The article will be publish soon at Form, a magazine for Nordic architecture and design

Prisoners at the Castle
Carl Philip is innocent of plagiarism. He hasn't designed the products himself, reveals Bo Madestrand. Why doesn't the "design prince" isn't allowed just be a happy chap instead? In the book The Reluctant Monarch Thomas Sjöberg makes a portrait of a man who can't control his own destiny. The King is the wrong man in the wrong place - a rather ordinary guy who most wants to play with cars and pick up girls, but who is forced into a position that he wasn't suited for or particularly wanted.
King is not the only one in the Bernadotte dynasty forced to play a role that doesn't suit him. Last is Prince Carl Philip, who received the man-gaudy task of following predecessor Sigvard Bernadotte as "Design prince." But just like his father Carl Philip seems thrive bad in the role forced upon him. His clumsy attempts as a designer has at best been dismissed as banal student data, at worst as mere plagiarism - from the logo he did as a student for Martha's Vineyard Museum, until the latest project, porcelain collection ”Svenska rödlistan” for Rörstrand as quickly accused of to be a rip-off of Gustavberg's classic series ”Arter i fara”. But this time was Prince himself not as the designer, but only as a "concept developer."
The reason is simple: Carl Philip has basically not drawn any of these projects himself. This is claimed by several people who have independently told to Form of the Prince's lack of involvement in the project that bears his name. The best example is the Fire screen in the form of a castle the prince signed ate Swedish Tenn, but under consistent evidence to have been designed by a designer associated with the company.
The prince maybe works as a postmodern artist. Instead of drawing the products himself he hires out external artisans and blesses them subsequently with his royal signature. The only problem is that there is no aesthetic line in Prince's collection. Just as the king he would like to have allowed to be a happy chap, but is forced into a role that others have written for him: Carl Philip - the reluctant design prince.
The whole article
Form Magazine
Translation

Axel Calissendorff is the royal family's lawyer but also Chairman of Prince Carl Philip's company CPhB Design AB. He confirms Bo Madestrand's claim that it is not only the prince who is behind the design. Unlike Bo Madestrand he sees no problem with it.
- The fire screen has been developed by Prince Carl Philip and designers in collaboration. The final sketch has been designed by the designer. Prince Carl Philip wished that the two would be listed as a designer, the designer did not want to but he had explicitly specify state wishes to remain anonymous. Prince Carl Philip has respected that wish. The measure has my full unqualified support, says Axel Calissendorff.
You see no problem with that prince is the sole designer for the project?
- There is nothing strange or unusual in design projects either now or historically, that it is more involved but a person who stands out for design. Since he has been involved in the design project, I see no problem with it.
Calissendorff says that Swedish Tenn, who sells the fire screen, is aware of how the fire screen has been designed.
Skarp kritik mot ”designprinsen” - Kultur SVT.se
Translation

Last edited:
Well,if the design is very close to the original, it would be smarter to give credit to the original creator of the paintings. If they openly talk about the sources of the ideas, they may sell it as an hommage to Gustavberg, who´s art looks very beautiful and inspiring!
It is good to use historically relevant images and patterns, but if the original sources are not mentioned it looks like plagiarism. Some pieces from the latest porcellain collection are very well-made and pretty and surely they are going to sell well if there ain´t no plagiarism scandal.

Well,if the design is very close to the original, it would be smarter to give credit to the original creator of the paintings. If they openly talk about the sources of the ideas, they may sell it as an hommage to Gustavberg, who´s art looks very beautiful and inspiring!
It is good to use historically relevant images and patterns, but if the original sources are not mentioned it looks like plagiarism. Some pieces from the latest porcellain collection are very well-made and pretty and surely they are going to sell well if there ain´t no plagiarism scandal.

This last article isn't about that the design is close to the original, but that someone else than Carl Philip designs the products and then it is told that Carl Philip has designed them. And people believe that he has done it alone.

Back
Top Bottom