Pre-Wedding Information for Carl Philip and Sofia

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess we'll only know for sure what her actual title will be until she's listed on the "Family" page of the Court website. Daniel is listed as "Olof Daniel Westling Bernadotte, Prince of Sweden, Duke of Vastergotland". Once Sophia is listed we'll see if she's "Princess Sophia, Duches...", or "Sophia..., Princess of Sweden, Duchess..."

I guess we'll only know for sure what her actual title will be until she's listed on the "Family" page of the Court website. Daniel is listed as "Olof Daniel Westling Bernadotte, Prince of Sweden, Duke of Vastergotland". Once Sophia is listed we'll see if she's "Princess Sophia, Duches...", or "Sophia..., Princess of Sweden, Duchess..."

Let's hope not. Her name is Sofia and has been spelled correctly in most posts.

That was the original post. As it got closer to the wedding ( just a few days) it was further announced he would be "Prince of Sweden"

Obviously you didn't read my post and the headline of it "Mr Daniel Westling will be Prince of Sweden", the announcement linked about Daniel's title was dated 1st June 2010. It was the later announcement (the swedish announcement was dated 30th May 2010). Here is the first announcement on the engagement day 24th February 2009. It says "In connection with the wedding Mr. Westling will be invested with the title Prince Daniel, Duke of Västergötland"
Engagement between Crown Princess Victoria and Daniel Westling - Sveriges Kungahus

Madeleine's wedding cost around six million. Carl Philip's and Sofia's wedding is expected to cost the same.
- It can be at the same level, says the royal family's finance manager, the director of the privy purse Jan Lindman.
When Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel were married in June 2010 the wedding cost around 20 million.
- Royal wedding is very much about the status. Therefore, he is not outdo Victoria's wedding, but it will of course not be less than Madeleine's and we know that hers cost a bit over six million, said Aftonbladet's royal expert Jenny Alexandersson.
Jan Lindman of the court doesn't talk about numbers, but confirms that they don't talk about 20 million.
- Is was the heir to the throne, the wedding was in a different dignity level than this. It might be on the same level as the wedding of Madeleine and Chris, but it is too early to tell.
The private area, which at both Victoria and Madeleine's wedding should have been more than half of the total bill, pays the king.
- In the previous two weddings there has been a party the night before the wedding to the couple's friends and perhaps some peers fom foreign royalty. It's typically private. All arrangements around the church in the form of flowers, security and transport are a typical official costs paid by the royal household.
Carl Philip and Sofia have invited 400 guests according to Aftonbladet. The dinner is the one which makes big costs, but because everything happens at the Royal Palace, some money will be saved in the transports.
Så mycket kostar bröllopet _ Nyheter _ Aftonbladet

Last edited:
TV4 shows on 1st and 8th June a documentary about Carl Philip and Sofia, it includes their interview. Both episodes last an hour. Tilde de Paula Eby met the couple at the Royal Palace where they candidly tell of their love, the impending wedding, the future life together, the Prince's dyslexia and their different upbringing. Sofia also tells of her journey from growing up in Älvdalen to the new role as princess.
Sofia Hellqvist_ Prins Carl Philip är min bästa vän _ Svensk Damtidning
Translation

So, a 2-hour documentary, just like about Victoria and Daniel on SVT. No documentaries about Madeleine and Chris. The court pushes really hard this couple to the swedish people.

There is a press meeting going on right now at the Royal Mews. The court equerry Mertil Melin is telling about the wedding cortege.
https://instagram.com/p/25aLIRP8mL/?taken-by=kungahuset

Last edited:
TV4 shows on 1st and 8th June a documentary about Carl Philip and Sofia, it includes their interview. Both episodes last an hour. Tilde de Paula Eby met the couple at the Royal Palace where they candidly tell of their love, the impending wedding, the future life together, the Prince's dyslexia and their different upbringing. Sofia also tells of her journey from growing up in Älvdalen to the new role as princess.
Translation

So, a 2-hour documentary, just like about Victoria and Daniel on SVT. No documentaries about Madeleine and Chris. The court pushes really hard this couple to the swedish people.

Who knows why?
0hIfoNHlRAwSJEiJs6Ohxg0YQN6MSBS24Sc4VJju8AAMPQGDBxhdeMBJKJvsZBEgkcHBxxRVdtNGIKJhMQokhDR6kiCWkgNKJJ6WYcgkiVnQYkRqE5JEHIWqoKOOMAwUEADs=
They can sell what anything they want but not everyone is disposed to buy their pr IMO... And I speak for myself

Translation

There is a press meeting going on right now at the Royal Mews. The court equerry Mertil Melin is telling about the wedding cortege.

One can wonder whether Chris would have been as willing to open up for stuff like this. And why wouldn't they "promote" them? He's the last of the three to get married and the last child of a reigning King for that matter.
And it's not like they are eclipsing Victoria and Daniel in this matter, so I don't see anything amiss with it (not suggesting that you say there is, just stating my POV).

:previous:

Will we be able to watch the documentary online?

I hope so, actually.

Iirc, Madeleine wanted their wedding to be very much a private affair, while the King thought that they had to let in the public. In the end they agreed on a compromise: to let the wedding service be televised, but not the dinner.

The press and the people heavily criticized the couple for being so withdrawn. Now CP and Sofia try a more open course, and they are also criticized for that. At least CP & S are trying hard to improve their public image, while M & C are criticized for not being professional with their PR. They can't get it right, can they?

Looking forward to the documentary.

There is only one royal family in Sweden, so it is sufficient to say "Princess Madeleine" etc. without the territorial designation.

On foreign events with guestslist the couple will be listed as:

HRH Prince Carl Philip of Sweden
HRH Princess Sofia of Sweden

(The secondary titles are usually not mentioned outside Sweden).

It's so funny. When they act like the Crown Princess and Prince Daniel, they are criticized. When they act differently from them, they are criticized.

That makes no sense. Oh, wait... they are being criticized for no logical reason, just for being Prince Carl Philip and Sofia Hellqvist.

And everything must be an evil Court conspiracy to promote them as couple. Something that's hardly necessary, as they are gonna marry in less then a month, with the blessings of the King, of the Government and of the Church of Sweden.

It's so funny. When they act like the Crown Princess and Prince Daniel, they are criticized. When they act differently from them, they are criticized.

That makes no sense. Oh, wait... they are being criticized for no logical reason, just for being Prince Carl Philip and Sofia Hellqvist.

And everything must be an evil Court conspiracy to promote them as couple. Something that's hardly necessary, as they are gonna marry in less then a month, with the blessings of the King, of the Government and of the Church of Sweden.

Couldn't agree more people will never stop.

Iirc, Madeleine wanted their wedding to be very much a private affair, while the King thought that they had to let in the public. In the end they agreed on a compromise: to let the wedding service be televised, but not the dinner.

The press and the people heavily criticized the couple for being so withdrawn. Now CP and Sofia try a more open course, and they are also criticized for that. At least CP & S are trying hard to improve their public image, while M & C are criticized for not being professional with their PR. They can't get it right, can they?

A short interview of 30 minutes at one TV-channel would have been enough. Madeleine should have also done that. There is no need to an interview and a two hour documentary. Madeleine understands her place at the royal family and the difference between the heir to the throne and herself.

The Royal Mews presented the carriage and told about the cortege yesterday. The carriage is the same which was used at Victoria's and Madeleine's weddings.
APA-Picturedesk

A short interview of 30 minutes at one TV-channel would have been enough. Madeleine should have also done that. There is no need to an interview and a two hour documentary. Madeleine understands her place at the royal family and the difference between the heir to the throne and herself.

Obviously, people from the Swedish press disagree with about the necessary length of an interview with Prince Carl Philip and Sofia.

Also, I don't think the House of Bernadotte has ever stipulated that only the Crown Princess can give long interviews and participate in documentaries.

If Madeleine wanted a small wedding why would she want to do an interview she and chris seemed to want to keep their wedding private. It would seem that neither Maddie or Chris wanted to do an interview so they didn't. It seems to me each couple is doing things that fit them and their style. I don't think there is any competition when it comes to the weddings. It seems obvious to me that the royal family want people to get to know Sophia and see what she is like. They obviously know her and accept her for who she is mistakes and all.

They may be doing the documentary to counteract all of the nasty comments about Sofia. It may be in their best interest to let the public get to know her and learn more about who she is and what her interests are and how she intends to devote her time once she is married.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

The garrison order is ready. Expressen has interpreted it like that Carl Philip and Sofia will not come straight out from the Chapel and have a wedding kiss, like Victoria and Daniel and Madeleine and Chris did. They are going straight to the cortege, which is leaving at 17.25. Expressen also claims that they will after arriving to the Royal Palace come out to the same place in Logården as the king and queen, and Victoria and Daniel, where Victoria held her speech "I want to thank the people of Sweden for giving me my prince" ...
Här är Sofia Hellqvists hela plan för bröllopet _ Nyheter _ Expressen
Translation

The garrison order is ready. Expressen has interpreted it like that Carl Philip and Sofia will not come straight out from the Chapel and have a wedding kiss, like Victoria and Daniel and Madeleine and Chris did. They are going straight to the cortege, which is leaving at 17.25. Expressen also claims that they will after arriving to the Royal Palace come out to the same place in Logården as the king and queen, and Victoria and Daniel, where Victoria held her speech "I want to thank the people of Sweden for giving me my prince" ...
Här är Sofia Hellqvists hela plan för bröllopet _ Nyheter _ Expressen
Translation

I don't really know what to believe as the article contains several mistakes. The place mentioned in the article, Logården, was not the place for neither the King and Queen nor the Crown Princess Couple to receive the greetings from the people. They did so from Lejonbacken, towards Norrbro at the northern facade of the Palace. However did both these couple arrive to the Royal Palace through Logården and spent a couple of minutes for waving.

I don't really know what to believe as the article contains several mistakes. The place mentioned in the article, Logården, was not the place for neither the King and Queen nor the Crown Princess Couple to receive the greetings from the people. They did so from Lejonbacken, towards Norrbro at the northern facade of the Palace. However did both these couple arrive to the Royal Palace through Logården and spent a couple of minutes for waving.

I could imagine that because the will arrive at Logarden after the carriage Tour that like at the Weddings of the King and Queen and Victoria and Daniel the guests will come out to Logarden to greet them there.

Duo Icona Pop is performing at the party after the wedding, according to Aftonbladet. Sofia has been their fan for a long time. Their music company Ten didn't want to comment the news.
AFTONBLADET AVSLÖJAR_ Världsstjärnorna spelar på bröllopsfesten _ Nyheter _ Aftonbladet

I don't really know what to believe as the article contains several mistakes.

Well, Expressen and Lindwall are famous of their mistakes. Lindwall babbled after the church service on Sunday, that this is historical, for the first time a common woman becomes a princess, he forgot totally princess Lilian.

Last edited:
There is only one royal family in Sweden, so it is sufficient to say "Princess Madeleine" etc. without the territorial designation.

On foreign events with guestslist the couple will be listed as:

HRH Prince Carl Philip of Sweden
HRH Princess Sofia of Sweden

(The secondary titles are usually not mentioned outside Sweden).

In the guest list for Prince William's wedding, I believe Victoria and Daniel were listed as:

HRH The Crown Princess of Sweden
HRH The Duke of Västergötland

In the guest list for Prince William's wedding, I believe Victoria and Daniel were listed as:

HRH The Crown Princess of Sweden
HRH The Duke of Västergötland

This is how the guest list for William's wedding was compiled:
Selected Guest List for the Wedding Service at Westminster Abbey.

I'm not sure whether the use of titles was entirely correct. For example, I have never seen Willem-Alexander and Máxima listed as they were here - The Crown Prince and Princess of The Netherlands.

Last edited:
Is that not Daniel's title?

LaRae

Is that not Daniel's title?

LaRae

Yes, it is, but he's also a prince in his own right (Prince Daniel of Sweden) and, as Duc et Pair said, secondary titles like royal dukedoms are normally not used outside Sweden.

I feel sorry for the two younger siblings in this family. It appears no matter what they do, they are criticized.

On 22nd May, the Government of Japan approved that HIH Princess Hisako of Takamado visit Kingdom of Sweden from 11th June to 15th June to attend the wedding of HRH Prince Carl Philip. HIH Princess Hisako attended the wedding of HRH Princess Madeleine, the elder sister of HRH Prince Carl Philip in 2013.
https://imperialfamilyjapan.wordpress.com/2015/05/22/princess-takamado-will-visit-sweden/

Takamado Hisako sama, to attend to Carl Philip Prince of wedding of Sweden, be an official visit to the country in the period of June 11 to 15 has been understood in the Cabinet of the 22nd.
/translated by Google/

http://www.sankei.com/life/news/150522/lif1505220021-n1.html

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom