Pre-Wedding Information for Carl Philip and Sofia

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The design of the monogram is very artistic.

Monogram is quite different but probably their modern taste. DoM, I agree

The monogram just looks to busy and a bit confusing IMO.

Designers should have worked more on monogram.

Is this the official monogram of P.C-P himself?
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/cf/Royal_Monogram_of_Prince_Carl_Philip_of_Sweden.svg/2000px-Royal_Monogram_of_Prince_Carl_Philip_of_Sweden.svg.png

if so, i can see what they tried to do with the S syllable, but C and P on their own are pretty much filling enough for one monogram, so i can imagine it wasn't easy to come up with a joint variety

For top 3 of worst monograms could i suggest the one of Edward (earl of Wessex) and wife Sophie as posted today in the royal cyphers (etc) thread... that one's not good (but at least it managed to let the letter S *not* like a snake ;) )
http://40.media.tumblr.com/eca5cf68f3e5c2929c30c5e206e790a3/tumblr_mvqxhgESnb1rcj5xxo1_400.jpg
(if this *is* their official one, then ouch...)

Last edited:
Not a fan of this at all. As others have said, it's too busy and cluttered.

Is this the official monogram of P.C-P himself?
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/cf/Royal_Monogram_of_Prince_Carl_Philip_of_Sweden.svg/2000px-Royal_Monogram_of_Prince_Carl_Philip_of_Sweden.svg.png

if so, i can see what they tried to do with the S syllable, but C and P on their own are pretty much filling enough for one monogram, so i can imagine it wasn't easy to come up with a joint variety

Yes that is Carl Philip's monogram. It is very easy to from where the inspiration for the new one comes.

To be honest, I like the joint monogram. It doesn't look like snakes to me. It looks more like a bunch of flowers to me. I especially like how the S and the P flow together. This really makes them joint together.

To be honest, I like the joint monogram. It doesn't look like snakes to me. It looks more like a bunch of flowers to me. I especially like how the S and the P flow together. This really makes them joint together.

I agree, it is a classic monogram. This is the interwined emblem of William III of Nassau, Prince of Orange and his spouse Mary II Stuart, both King and Queen of Great Britain.

:flowers:

I think the new monogram is fine - keeping with traditional styling, there is little else one can do with C P and S intertwined.

I much prefer their joint monogram to CP's one. Yes, it's a bit more cluttered (but really though, CP's monogram was cluttered to begin with because they (whoever is in charge of the individual monograms – CG or the individual royals themselves?) inverted the letters rather than just making it one C and one P – if anything, adding the double S's has made it nicer looking IMO) but it looks more finished, so to speak, than CP's does. I also think the fact that it's black makes me like it more. It looks way more elegant than CP's blue one. Is it supposed to be black? Or was that just for the announcement?

Last edited:
I much prefer their joint monogram to CP's one. Yes, it's a bit more cluttered (but really though, CP's monogram was cluttered to begin with because they (whoever is in charge of the individual monograms – CG or the individual royals themselves?) inverted the letters rather than just making it one C and one P – if anything, adding the double S's has made it nicer looking IMO) but it looks more finished, so to speak, than CP's does. I also think the fact that it's black makes me like it more. It looks way more elegant than CP's blue one. Is it supposed to be black? Or was that just for the announcement?

The blue one posted above is a Wikipedia version, and not the official one. However the Royal Court uses the monograms in different colors, like, black, gold and blue.

I much prefer their joint monogram to CP's one. Yes, it's a bit more cluttered (but really though, CP's monogram was cluttered to begin with – if anything, adding the double S's has made it nicer looking) but it looks more finished and elegant than CP's does. I also think the fact that it's black makes me like it more. It looks way more stylish than CP's blue one. Is it supposed to be black? Or was that just for the announcement?

A monogram often is in a different colour (blue, red) to differentiate from the black used in a letter. There are also colourless ones: the Dutch Royal House uses paper with a colourless monogram pressed into it (relief). Expensive, but stylish.

The blue one posted above is a Wikipedia version, and not the official one. However the Royal Court uses the monograms in different colors, like, black, gold and blue.

A monogram often is in a different colour (blue, red) to differentiate from the black used in a letter. There are also colourless ones: the Dutch Royal House uses paper with a colourless monogram pressed into it (relief). Expensive, but stylish.

Thanks! :flowers: (and also thanks, Kingen, for the link to all the monograms). I'm glad to hear that the blue is not standard because that did nothing good for CP's monogram :ROFLMAO:

I like the joint monogram. It is "busy", but the designers can only work with what they are given, and CP having a double-barrelled name to start was going to set a challenge for them. I think they did it well. I like the way they've joined the "S" in to combine the initials into one monogram.

Last edited:
I have to say I don't like the monogram: it is too much messy and you can barely distinguish the initials... Not particulary flattering IMO.

I think the monograph is fine. I do like the way the P for Philip and S for Sophia flow together. I'd love to see the other versions they came up with (if any) before settling on this. I don't really think that there are a whole lot of ways to combine their initials.

I like the monogram. :flowers:

I much prefer their joint monogram to CP's one. [...] if anything, adding the double S's has made it nicer looking IMO but it looks more finished, so to speak, than CP's does. I also think the fact that it's black makes me like it more. It looks way more elegant than CP's blue one. Is it supposed to be black? Or was that just for the announcement?

I agree. :flowers: I think whoever did it, did well.

I like the monogram. :flowers:

I agree. :flowers: I think whoever did it, did well.

It is mentioned just above the monogram: The monogram was designed by the heraldic artist Vladimir A. Sagerlund and Prince Carl Philip.

sorry to confusing for my eyes! I don't like it!

Sorry, I don't like the monogram, it looks like snakes which are waking up.

The style of the new monogram fits very well with the other royal monograms, see this overview given by the Swedish Royal House:

monogram.png

Thanks for posting that, for some reason i think that people who have a snake-association with Sofia's "S" don't have that with Sylvia's "S" :lol:

Thanks for posting that, for some reason i think that people who have a snake-association with Sofia's "S" don't have that with Sylvia's "S" :lol:

I think you're totally right. :whistling::lol:

Compared to the other monograms of the Royal family, the new one is very messy and not elegant at all. It looks like the letters were moving at Carl Philip's and Sofia's monogram and that makes them look like snakes.

Last edited:
It is mentioned just above the monogram: The monogram was designed by the heraldic artist Vladimir A. Sagerlund and Prince Carl Philip.

So, P.C-P designed/helped design the monogram himself?
Then I'm hoping he does indeed do some more designing for his wedding and design her a tiara or other jewelry...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom