Possible names, godparents and duchy of their second child

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boy or Girl?

• Boy?

Votes: 17 34.0%
  • Girl?

Votes: 33 66.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Time to post my guesses before it's too late!

Princess Astrid Renate Alice Marie

or

Prince Wilhelm Folke Stig Edmund

The duchess/duke of Bohuslän
Godparents: Madeleine, Sara, and a couple of friends.

Though I think I'm being too traditional - there was both a Prince Wilhelm and a Princess Astrid in the 20th century after all. They'll probably go with something brand new (for the SRF) and more or less unexpected instead. A few other names that wouldn't surprise me:
Adele, Amelie, Clara, Elise, Greta, Tyra
Edward, Henry, Hugo, Ludvig, Ossian, Theodor

I vote for a boy.

HRH Prince Folke Leopold Philip, Duke of Narke.

Godparents: Princess Madeleine, Sara Hellqvist, Prince Hubertus of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, and a couple of friends.

it's a boy!

Well I was wrong for the first time in predictions for these Swedish baby genders. It's a boy for Carl Philip and Sofia! Congratulations to all :)

Amongst the duchies which were assigned by King Carl XVI Gustaf:

Duchies earlier held by future Kings of Sweden were assigned to Prince Carl Philip, Princess Estelle, Prince Oscar, and Prince Alexander.

Duchies earlier held by younger sons of King Oscar II were assigned to Crown Princess Victoria and Princess Leonore.

New duchies were assigned to Princess Madeleine and Prince Nicolas.

The King will most likely repeat a duchy for this prince. Västerbotten (the duchy of the King's father), Uppland (the duchy of the second sons of Kings Oscar I and Gustaf VI Adolf), and Halland (the duchy of Prince Bertil) are vacant.

I also expect a 'repeat' duchy as the prince is a male-line descended (and a prince, not princess) from the King and that seems to be important to him; so I would be very surprised if he gets a new duchy. The Halland one would be a great way to honor prince Bertil also in Carl Philip's second son (the fist already carries his name); Västerbotten would be a nice nod to Carl Philip's grandfather (and continues the 'title that was previously held by a Crown Prince); along the same veins an argument could be made for reviving Öland.

Uppland might be vacant, but I would guess it is to soon to revive Sigvard's title; especially since his third wife is still alive.

Västmanland might also be an option (previously given to a 'third son of a king' - and linked to the Söderman title, just like Värmland, his parents title); or Närke, to complete the duchies of children of Oscar II-trilogy (also a link to the Söderman title).

We'll know soon what the king decided!

Well, again I'm hoping that it'll be an Edmund (fourth time's the charm!) but it probably won't be. My second guess would probably be Carl Johan but I also think Wilhelm and August are good guesses. Or Axel. Or perhaps they're just gonna go with Gustav. I don't know but I hope Edmund is in there somewhere.

As for his duchy, I'm definitely thinking Halland for if they're going with a repeat. I'm also always up for Västerbotten which I think is a terrific duchy. And both of those also hold enough significant emotional value that I think CG would be prone to have saved one of them for CP's child(ren). Otherwise I quite like Blekinge and Norrbotten (and generally just the idea of giving "new" duchies).

My name guess would be: Ferdinand Carl Patrick Leopold

Ferdinand seems to go well with Alexander and the name can be found in both CP's and Sofia's family (a few generations back). Carl after the prince himself, Patrick after CP's cousin who is closest to having a brother to CP, and Leopold after CPs (other) godfather, but will most likely be exchanged for a name from Sofia's family.

Of course I also nominate Patrick Sommerlath as a godparent, next to obvious choices as princess Madeleine and Sara Hellqvist, maybe Oscar Kylberg and Frida Vesterberg from the friend's depatment. I would also love to see prince Manuel of Bayern as godparent (son of prince Leopold; they could even pick his name instead of Leopold's) but don't really expect it (maybe for a third child).

Maximilian Stig Edmund Philip
Jonathan Philip Jan Edmund
Benjamin Walther Stig Philip
Samuel Jan Philip Edmund
Theodor Edmund Jan Walther

I have no idea what name they will chose for their newborn, but I really hope that the king will pick Dalarna as the duchy. It's Sofias home, so this child will have his grandparents and lots of other connections to Dalarna as well.

It's a boy.

My updated guess for the names/Duchy:

Edmund Jan/Stig Walther Folke
Duke of Vasterbotten.

It's a boy.

My updated guess for the names/Duchy:

Edmund Jan/Stig Walther Folke
Duke of Vasterbotten.

I'm like many of you who are predicting Edmund (love the name!) but I'm thinking it might be a name in honor of his father and grandfather, so I'm thinking Carl Edmund, it has a nice ring to it. Then two more to round out to four. Maybe Sigvord or Gustav?

Well, again I'm hoping that it'll be an Edmund (fourth time's the charm!) but it probably won't be. My second guess would probably be Carl Johan but I also think Wilhelm and August are good guesses. Or Axel. Or perhaps they're just gonna go with Gustav. I don't know but I hope Edmund is in there somewhere.

As for his duchy, I'm definitely thinking Halland for if they're going with a repeat. I'm also always up for Västerbotten which I think is a terrific duchy. And both of those also hold enough significant emotional value that I think CG would be prone to have saved one of them for CP's child(ren). Otherwise I quite like Blekinge and Norrbotten (and generally just the idea of giving "new" duchies).

Edmund is also the name of the eldest son of Victor and Frieda Magnuson

I like Theodor. It goes well with Alexander... Theo & Alex

When will the name be announced? I can’t remember if this is a country that waits until the christening....

I like Theodor too. Leo and Leon are quite popular boys names in Sweden, I believe, so maybe ....

I like Theodor. It goes well with Alexander... Theo & Alex

When will the name be announced? I can’t remember if this is a country that waits until the christening....

Names of heirs to the Swedish throne are always presented to the Prime Minister and government of the day, by the Sovereign, first, before being announced by the same to the nation in a special sitting, broadcast live, from the Palace. This time it has been announced by the court that it will take on the upcoming Monday, before a special church service, Te Deum, is held at mid-day.

I'm like many of you who are predicting Edmund (love the name!) but I'm thinking it might be a name in honor of his father and grandfather, so I'm thinking Carl Edmund, it has a nice ring to it. Then two more to round out to four. Maybe Sigvord or Gustav?

Highly unlikely they will use Carl. The siblings made a plain effort not to use the same name to honor their dad. Oscar has Carl, Nicolas has Gustaf and Alex has Hubertus. If Carl Philip wanted to use Carl to honor himself and his father he'd have used it for Alex, his first born son. Instead they chose a more personal first name and honored family in middle.

I love Edmund and it pairs great with Alexander. Hope Edmund Magnuson doesn't rule out its use.

Prince Edmund Walter Stig Johan

From the King's names only Folke is still not used.
King's full name is Carl Gustaf Folke Hubertus.

From the King's names only Folke is still not used.
King's full name is Carl Gustaf Folke Hubertus.

True. But he has already honored his father in Alexander. Possibly could use Folke or simply honor other family,

Here are my guesses:

Maximilian Philip Leopold Kristian
Lennart Edmund Leopold
Lennart Edmund Kristian
Victor Johan Edmund Leopold

Duchy might be Norrbotten or Halland

Godparents: Princess Madeleine, Sara Hellqvist, Frida Vesterberg, Patrick Sommerlath, Prince Manuel of Bavaria

Here are my guesses:

Maximilian Philip Leopold Kristian
Lennart Edmund Leopold
Lennart Edmund Kristian
Victor Johan Edmund Leopold

Duchy might be Norrbotten or Halland

Godparents: Princess Madeleine, Sara Hellqvist, Frida Vesterberg, Patrick Sommerlath, Prince Manuel of Bavaria

Alexander had no foreign royalty as godparents. Maybe just me, but would seem odd if his younger brother did.

The swedes always surprise us with names.
But I'm guessing this baby will be the Duke of Halland.

True. But he has already honored his father in Alexander. Possibly could use Folke or simply honor other family,

But he can not honor his mother now as he it would be strage to add Silvia or Renate to the names of a boy. A other possibility would be to use Walter for the Queen's father.

Since Princess Madeleine will most likely be a god parent he could possibly use the male form of Josephine (one of Madeleine's middle names). Maybe Joseph or however they use it in Sweden

My guess:

Johan Eugen Folke Philip

Duchy of Halland

But he can not honor his mother now as he it would be strage to add Silvia or Renate to the names of a boy. A other possibility would be to use Walter for the Queen's father.

I wasn't suggesting honoring the Queen. A grandfather, uncle, cousin who he chooses as godparent like Oscar does. Plenty of family to honor without continuously honoring his dad if he has sons.

Walter for maternal grandfather
Edmund for paternal
Johan or Georg for his uncle who died last year

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom