General News about Carl Philip, Sofia and Family, Part 1: May 2016 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Carl Philip and Sofia are expecting there second child in September 2017.

-

Carl XVI. Gustav - why the king was named so and not "only" Carl Gustav ?

Where does the name Philip - in Carl Philips name - came from ?

His maternal grandfather was Walter Sommerlath. Probably the Name Philip another relativ from his mother side ? Or from his godfather ?

-

His maternal grandfather was Walter Sommerlath. Probably the Name Philip another relativ from his mother side ? Or from his godfather ?

Those are good questions; I would also like to know the answers. I hope somebody who knows will respond.

The pregnancy announcement makes the couple's long absence from Sweden make more sense to me: I suspect they spent so much time in South Africa as a way of being able to let her just focus on feeling better and getting rest without as much worry about being "presentable." I know I felt incredibly low energy in the first trimester of my pregnancies, even when "morning sickness" wasn't an issue.

-

It's tradition in Sweden that if a king chooses to have a double name as a regnal name that the regnal number is based on the first name as seen in Gustav II Adolf, Karl X Gustav, Karl XIV Johan, Gustaf VI Adolf & Carl XVI Gustav.

Karl Filip, Duke of Södermanland, Närke & Värmland (1601-1622) was the youngest child of King Karl IX. He is nowadays mostly known for having been offered the Russian throne before Michael Romanov but the opportunity was lost because of his mother refusing to let her 10-year old son leave Sweden.
Filip was also the name of a medieval king & several medieval princes.

-

I'm not entirly sure, because all I have are a few snippets of knowledge from different sources here and there from years ago. So if I'm wrong, please correct me.

1) The King is named Carl XVI Gustav because he is the sixteenth King Carl on the swedish throne. And because he owns a double name (which a lot of swedish kings seem to have) the second part of his double name is simply added after the number. If Carl Philip would still be Crown Prince, he for sure would have been King Carl XVII Philip one day.

2) I think I read somewhere in an interview years ago, that the Queen said, the first names of their children are simply names they liked. Which would in Carl Philip's case (because of the double name) be the name Philip with Carl being an old family name.

But like I said, it's all just guessing based on very dark and unsure memory.

Alexander is a chubby and smiling toddler. Can't spot a marked redemblance to one of his parents in particular yet. I think he still is a mix.

I can't decide who he looks like right now.

LaRae

In the picture where's sitting in the chair I see Silvia in Alexander. JMO

Such a cute little chubby cheek Prince. Love the new photos :flowers:

The Swedes sure do know how to make cute kids. All five of the kings grandchildren are so adorable. Makes me anxious to see number six.

He is so cute! I thought he had Sofia eyes, but there are Brown like Carl Philip. She has such a beautiful eyes! hope one of her kids inherit them!
All the Royal kids are such a beautiful kids!

He is so cute! I thought he had Sofia eyes, but there are Brown like Carl Philip. She has such a beautiful eyes! hope one of her kids inherit them!

Blue eyes are recessive, so, depending on Carl Philip's genetics, Sofia may never have blue-eyed kids.

My husband has blue eyes...I have brown. 2 kids with blue eyes and 1 with Hazel eyes.

My parents: Dad had brown eyes and my mom had blue/green eyes. Both my sister and myself have brown eyes.

Genetics are interesting!

LaRae

Blue eyes are recessive, so, depending on Carl Philip's genetics, Sofia may never have blue-eyed kids.

My husband has blue eyes...I have brown. 2 kids with blue eyes and 1 with Hazel eyes.

My parents: Dad had brown eyes and my mom had blue/green eyes. Both my sister and myself have brown eyes.

Genetics are interesting!

LaRae

You can't say it like that :flowers:

A good example:
Crown Prince Frederik has blue eyes, Crown Princess Mary has brown eyes, and Frederik and Mary have got 3 children (Christian, Isabella, Vincent) with light blue eyes, and then Josephine (who is the only who have dark eyes, but they are still not really brown).

I have blue eyes, my husband has brown eyes. We have 3 children with light blue eyes.

It is like, even though I, Mary and Sofia have blue eyes, we still can have a brown gene. All people have "two colors".

Blue-blue = blue eyes.
Blue-brown = can result in both blue and brown eyes.
Brown-brown = brown eyes.

Etc.

So if now Carl-Phillip has brown-brown and Sofia has blue-brown - yes, the chance of them having a baby with blue eyes is very small.

In Frederik and Mary's case I think we can confirm that Frederik has blue-blue and Mary has brown-blue - which have resulted in having 4 children with blue eyes (or Josephine have much darker eyes, but not really brown)

:flowers::flowers:

You can't say it like that :flowers:

A good example:
Crown Prince Frederik has blue eyes, Crown Princess Mary has brown eyes, and Frederik and Mary have got 3 children (Christian, Isabella, Vincent) with light blue eyes, and then Josephine (who is the only who have dark eyes, but they are still not really brown).

I have blue eyes, my husband has brown eyes. We have 3 children with light blue eyes.

It is like, even though I, Mary and Sofia have blue eyes, we still can have a brown gene. All people have "two colors".

Blue-blue = blue eyes.
Blue-brown = can result in both blue and brown eyes.
Brown-brown = brown eyes.

Etc.

So if now Carl-Phillip has brown-brown and Sofia has blue-brown - yes, the chance of them having a baby with blue eyes is very small.

In Frederik and Mary's case I think we can confirm that Frederik has blue-blue and Mary has brown-blue - which have resulted in having 4 children with blue eyes (or Josephine have much darker eyes, but not really brown)

:flowers::flowers:

for me Josephine has blue eyes, I don't see the brown
Denmark's royal twins Prince Vincent and Princess Josephine's most precious sibling moments - HELLO! US

Denmark's royal twins Prince Vincent and Princess Josephine's most precious sibling moments - HELLO! US

Carl Philip and Sofia were yesterday at Villa Solbacken. There were also craftsmen and other cars related. The family took a walk in the afternoon in Djurgården.
Carl Philip och Sofia flyttar in i drömhuset _ Kungligt _ Expressen

Margareta Thorgren confirmed to Expressen, that Carl Philip and Sofia have moved to Villa Solbacken, they are now registered to live there.
Carl Philip och Sofia har flyttat till Villa Solbacken _ Kungligt _ Expressen

Swedish gossip magazine Hänt i Veckan writes that Alexander goes to open nursery school at Villagatan in Östermalm. Sofia takes Alexander (or Alex, how he is called there) to the nursery school once a week, mostly on Wednesdays. The nursery school is very popular among the upper classes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom