Engagement of Prince Carl Philip and Sofia Hellqvist: June 27, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really Looking forward to tiara Events
5 royal ladies at Nobel 2014
Silvia
Victoria
Madeleine
Sofia
Christina

And the wedding
Wow
Sofia
Silvia
Victoria
Madeleine
Margaretha
Birgitta
Desirée
Christina

Agree 100%!!!
This whole thing is a joke, so un-classy and amateur-ish.
I think behind closed doors this family is a mess.

The balcony scene sums it up for me, so tasteless
http://38.media.tumblr.com/13ff94517f33f19448ae76a6d5bdb792/tumblr_n7u8rgdS6l1rfso8ko1_500.jpg

Oh, you are a mind reader? He/she who is without a fault, may trow the first stone!
Look at some of you, soooo ready to jump to conclousion.

I congratulate och wish all the happiness in teh world to the new royal couple, and if I shall try to forsee the future myself, I think the new princess will make you all eat your words.

I really Looking forward to tiara Events
5 royal ladies at Nobel 2014
Silvia
Victoria
Madeleine
Sofia
Christina

And the wedding
Wow
Sofia
Silvia
Victoria
Madeleine
Margaretha
Birgitta
Desirée
Christina

:flowers: Me too! (despite my lack of adoration for Sofia) I can't imagine that she will skip the Nobels like Madeleine. Though she is unlikely to wear a tiara this year already.

And the wedding will be a great sparkling white tie event, with loads of foreign Royals as well. I will certainly enjoy the tiara watch excessively.:lol:

Well, congratulations to the couple. I can't say I'm thrilled, but I'm willing to give Sofia a chance.

That balcony photo seems a little over the top for an engagement. I also think the press conference was disorganized and seemed a bit unprofessional. It's too bad the Palace didn't have more time to get organized.

Have Victoria or Madeleine commented yet?

Short of a freak accident killing everyone ahead of him there's no way he's going to be the king of Sweden. Even if he were next in line he should be able to marry whoever he wants anyway.

It's rather ironic to me that a country that is so proud of their tolerance of every sort of thing, is being so priggish about him marrying a woman with a racy past.

LaRae

I hadn't said anything cos this engagement is not my business and he can marry whoever he wants... But what the hell is the scene on the balcony????

looks like they've just won a reality game show doesn't it :whistling:

First of all, Congratulations to the couple! Though I am not a fan of Sofia noone asks our opinion as long as they are happy together. I am wondering what is her education anyway and does she have any brothers or susters?

I was trying to avoid the drama that I knew would come up on this board but now I feel like this getting out of control.
1. Do you know Sofia and Carl Philip personally? No? Well then how can you make judgments about their characters? You are only seeing 2% of who they are through the media- no where near a good amount to make an accurate representation of who they are. This goes for the rest of the family as well.
2. I am wondering why we cannot just be happy for them?! They just got engaged and we are already dooming their marriage and that has not even occurred yet!
3. The balcony while it may not be traditional- it was nice because news had spread that a press conference was going to happen so the public had come to the palace to see. But the press conference was just for the press so all the people who were waiting outside would have had to go home without seeing anything and if that had happened I promise you people would be complaining about the rudeness of just leaving the people there.
4. Lots of people are talking about how this announcement was much more hyped than Victoria's. The Press Department has changed a lot in 5 years and so has technology and the interest in the royal family. We can debate the press department somewhere else but it is an undisputed fact that the press department has changed a LOT since 2009.

:flowers: Me too! (despite my lack of adoration for Sofia) I can't imagine that she will skip the Nobels like Madeleine. Though she is unlikely to wear a tiara this year already.

And the wedding will be a great sparkling white tie event, with loads of foreign Royals as well. I will certainly enjoy the tiara watch excessively.:lol:

I was a bit fast
Better bet would be 2015 nobels

Last edited:
First of all, Congratulations to the couple! Though I am not a fan of Sofia noone asks our opinion as long as they are happy together. I am wondering what is her education anyway and does she have any brothers or susters?

Sofia has two sisters, Lina and Sara. Lina is working as project coordinator in Sofia's Project Playground and Sara is Research Assistant at Forskning & utveckling and Research Assistant at Department of Psychology, Stockholm University

Carl Philip and Sofia and Sofia's parents arrived to Drottningholm to celebrate the engagement.
http://b.cdn-expressen.se/ImageHand...e7-a568-b777052ac6ff&imageFormat=bauta100-4x3
http://a.cdn-expressen.se/ImageHand...24-bbd9-66810aa3f97b&imageFormat=bauta100-4x3

Has Sofia changed into a green dress or is that a sibling :previous:

Short of a freak accident killing everyone ahead of him there's no way he's going to be the king of Sweden. Even if he were next in line he should be able to marry whoever he wants anyway.

It's rather ironic to me that a country that is so proud of their tolerance of every sort of thing, is being so priggish about him marrying a woman with a racy past.

LaRae

AMEN!

and btw...congratulation to the happy couple! :flowers:

The director of the press department, Margareta Thorgren to Expressen about the dinner this evening:
- It has been a private dinner with the family. Everyone in the family is very excited and pleased with this engagement. It's a really nice warmth in the entire family.
During the day, the congratulations have poured in, also from Crown Princess Victoria and Princess Madeleine.
- They have several ways congratulated both Prince Carl Philip and Sofia Hellqvist during the day. Then the whole family will get together during the Victoria Day on July 14, says Margareta Thorgren.
Firar med hemlig fest på Drottningholm | Nyheter | Expressen

That the press department has changed in 5 years is no reason to treat Carl Philip and Sofia differently than they treated Victoria, Daniel, Madeleine or Chris.

"I would not have made the choices today, there is one thing that is for sure. I find it hard to say that I regret anything in my life. I did not think I would have to sit here in the end and defend my choices in life. It is such a small part of my life these pictures. There are two occasions of my life. And I have done so much more. It is unfortunately our society looks like." - Sofia

Polyesco Can you tell me where this quote is from please?

I was trying to avoid the drama that I knew would come up on this board but now I feel like this getting out of control.
1. Do you know Sofia and Carl Philip personally? No? Well then how can you make judgments about their characters? You are only seeing 2% of who they are through the media- no where near a good amount to make an accurate representation of who they are. This goes for the rest of the family as well.
2. I am wondering why we cannot just be happy for them?! They just got engaged and we are already dooming their marriage and that has not even occurred yet!
3. The balcony while it may not be traditional- it was nice because news had spread that a press conference was going to happen so the public had come to the palace to see. But the press conference was just for the press so all the people who were waiting outside would have had to go home without seeing anything and if that had happened I promise you people would be complaining about the rudeness of just leaving the people there.
4. Lots of people are talking about how this announcement was much more hyped than Victoria's. The Press Department has changed a lot in 5 years and so has technology and the interest in the royal family. We can debate the press department somewhere else but it is an undisputed fact that the press department has changed a LOT since 2009

Sarahbellar- what a kind, thoughtful, gentle person you must be! I predict that Sofia will bring a lot of joy to her new family.

So many posters taking the moral high ground. So condescending that some of you are "willing to give her a chance". Have you any idea what you sound like?

No one is allowed to improve? No one is allowed to move on in their lives? Do you always cast out people you know that have done something you dont approve of?

Unkind and ungenerous is what it sounds like.

I wish them best wishes and fortitude against the media onslaught. I dont think they would bother with sites like this

So now its official.

Is the King planning a big wedding for his only son?

Someone mentioned Royalty from all over the world attending? Which would take a lot of organising to accommodate them all.

Will the bride wear the Cameo tiara?

Sarahbellar- what a kind, thoughtful, gentle person you must be! I predict that Sofia will bring a lot of joy to her new family.

Thank you for your kind words! I think you are right to predict that! Sofia seems to really have a good heart and she has a good head on her shoulders. Sure she did somethings in the past that we probably do not approve of but she has owned up to them- just like Mette Marit- and is turning a new leaf. I think Mette Marit and Sofia are very similar in that aspect. She is not trying to hide what she did in the pats but she is taking ownership of it which is a big thing to do especially on such a public scale!

So many posters taking the moral high ground. So condescending that some of you are "willing to give her a chance". Have you any idea what you sound like?

No one is allowed to improve? No one is allowed to move on in their lives? Do you always cast out people you know that have done something you dont approve of?

Unkind and ungenerous is what it sounds like.

I wish them best wishes and fortitude against the media onslaught. I dont think they would bother with sites like this

Great comment, cepe.

So now its official.

Someone mentioned Royalty from all over the world attending? Which would take a lot of organising to accommodate them all.

I think Prince Carl Philip & Sofia and the palace officials are probably in the planning stages or will soon start.

So now its official.

I think that the wedding will probably on the same scale as Madeleine's. Or even a little bigger, since Madeleine wanted it to be rather private and low key. I can imagine that this couple won't fight so much for a small wedding.

At Madeleine's wedding there were a good number of European Royals. Noone from the Netherlands, but that probably was due to the tight timetable of the new monarchs so shortly after their accession. And noone from Spain, probably due to the recession crisis there. But even Princess Takamdo attended from Japan.

So yes, it will be a very glittering event. Not on the scale of Victoria's wedding, but still very grand.

Congratulations to the couple! I am very happy for them! They are clearly in love and I wish them all the best. I totally agree with cepe..Great post!

That the press department has changed in 5 years is no reason to treat Carl Philip and Sofia differently than they treated Victoria, Daniel, Madeleine or Chris.

Considering how much Madeleine and Chris hate publicity I think they're pretty happy they didn't have to do a press conference when they got engaged.

Congratulations to Carl Philip and Sofia. :flowers: I predicted that they would become engaged this year in the thread about what we thought would happen to the royals this year, and I was correct! It's kind of ironic how we were wanting for them to get married soon in their old thread, and now they actually are about to get married.

It will be interesting to see if Sofia will be granted a title or not.

What's wrong with the balcony picture?

I think the thing that's wrong with the balcony photo is that a balcony appearance for some members (myself included) is a little OTT for an engagement of a younger child of the King. Also, as others have said, Victoria and Madeleine didn't get one for their engagements, so Carl Philip and Sofia's appearance is a little puzzling.

If they are having an engagement party this evening, where are his sisters? If they are out of town, what's the rush with the party?

I am very happy for them. People change of course. Everybody makes mistakes when they are young, hers were public, that's all.

I knew the thread would go this way whenever this engagement was announced and I have to say- all the sour grapes and po-faced judging won't keep Sofia from becoming Princess Sofia of Sweden, Duchess of Varmland.

I'm going to enjoy the heck out of that wedding and the associated threads.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Can someone please clarify; did they really say CP proposed & they got engaged today or was this taken out of context by the media?

If he really proposed today, I find all this rush to announce very strange.

Why did they pick today to announce, since M&C were supposed to be back in the US? Why not last week when the whole family was there???

Back
Top Bottom