Engagement of Prince Carl Philip and Sofia Hellqvist: June 27, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Arent Chris and Madeleine back in New York now? So the royal fmaily would not be gathering to celebrate his 40th anyway.

All seems so rushed if he proposed this morning why make the annoucement this afternoon - normally there are a few days between engagement and press release to organise things. I am not a fan of Sofia - personally i think CP and Emma made a lovely couple for the 10 years they were together. However as much as i dont think she is a suitable bride or royal i do congratulate the couple and hope the marriage lasts. The swedish royal family do not need a marriage that is full of scandal or divorce.

I have no strong opinion about Hellqvist, but I wanted to make something clear. Firstly, this forum is surely not intended to only praise individuals (more specifically, their fashion sense or lack thereof). Secondly, Swedes absolutely have the right to judge Hellqvist and her past and Carl Philip's choice; whether they judge them right or wrong is their business. Carl Philip's job is to represent Sweden and Swedes, as will be the job of his wife. Choosing a wrong person for the job is certainly something the Swedes have the right to be upset about. I am not saying that they are upset, but some posters here claim this relationship/engagement/marriage is none of their business. It is.

Can I ask why you say so? His sisters both did it...for years. So did Prince William in Britain, Prince Albert of Monaco, and Prince Haakon of Norway.

Just curious, that's all.

But Daniel had also his own apartment the whole time. And according to the swedish press, Daniel stayed at his own home when Victoria was on her work trips.

The king at the interview to the queen: You came this morning from Brazil? The queen corrects: From Washington. :
http://tv.aftonbladet.se/webbtv/nyheter/kungligt/article45800.ab

I'm still confused why they chose this day to announce the engagement - the queen has just been on a three day trip to different time zone, in Washington and must be tired... Why they had such a hurry?

Last edited:
Can I ask why you say so? His sisters both did it...for years. So did Prince William in Britain, Prince Albert of Monaco, and Prince Haakon of Norway.

Just curious, that's all.

It is not "princely" to move in together with an unmarried partner. That applies to CP, to his sisters, to Haakon, and to any other royals.

I have no strong opinion about Hellqvist, but I wanted to make something clear. Firstly, this forum is surely not intended to only praise individuals (more specifically, their fashion sense or lack thereof). Secondly, Swedes absolutely have the right to judge Hellqvist and her past and Carl Philip's choice; whether they judge them right or wrong is their business. Carl Philip's job is to represent Sweden and Swedes, as will be the job of his wife. Choosing a wrong person for the job is certainly something the Swedes have the right to be upset about. I am not saying that they are upset, but some posters here claim this relationship/engagement/marriage is none of their business. It is.

In theory, the government represents the Swedish people (or, at least, a plurality thereof). The fact that the government consented to the marriage as required by law signals that the representatives of the Swedish people believe she can do the job.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I congratulate them on their engagement and look forward to another Swedish royal wedding, which is always a fun and joyous occasion. I have googled the bride to be and found, thankfully, most of the photos of her fully clothed and looking very nice. Regrettably, there are more photos of her in a swimming costume than there are of Carl Philip....

I would only add that I will brace myself for when Prince Harry gets engaged, I have a feeling he and Carl Philip are quite similar in many ways.

They only got engagement this morning? I wonder why there was such a rush to announce it. No wonder the disorder.

My cousins in Sweden do not like Sofia. They think her past is too undignified to be a princess. They also did not like Daniel at first (although not as much as Sofia), but they do like him now. They are lukewarm on the king, like the Queen and very much like Victoria. I don't know how representative their views are.

But all we can do now is wish CP and Sofia the very best and hope they have a happy and stable marriage.

well i could think of one thing that would explain the rush, but that really would be a crisis!!:whistling::bang:
Anyway if they are happy then I'm happy for them, whether they will be a good thing for Sweden and the Royal Family, only time will tell.

Since you are a Swede, what seems to be the attitude of regular citizens toward SH? Sorry, but I simply do not trust the media there. They have sprinkled so much stardust on SH and her background that it is almost comical.

The Swedes who are happy about the announcement are in a minority I dare say, speaking from my personal view. There is a lot of secrecy about Sofia's past, she has in no way endured the media-scrutiny Daniel had to. But now that can't be avoided since she is officially on her way to the altar with Carl-Philip. I hope she does a tell-all about her past before the press start digging is all I have to say (especially the foreign press).

But what a joke this is.

I couldn't agree with you more.

Well, he's 35, so he probably wants kids at this point. She... is what she is. But he's down the line at this point and it was probably decided to not care who he married because she will have no real influence other than a title and the swag.

Sofia and Carl Philip have chosen a very, very difficult path. We will see sooner than later if they are mature, secure and in love enough to stand all the critique that all the royals face every day of their lifes (I am not even considering the increase of critique her past occupations might / will cause).

Last edited:
Well, I guess it was inevitable. As someone pointed out, it's inappropriate in the long run for a Swedish Prince to live (and perhaps eventually have children) with a woman whom he is not married to.

The problem with Miss Hellqvist is that she to this day is better known for being undressed in the eyes of the public, and certainly to the foreign public, than for any accomplishments she has made while being dressed.
The coverage by the Danish tabloid Ekstra Bladet is typical: Ekstra Bladet - Paradise Hotel-deltager bliver svensk prinsesse (Don't worry she practically dressed in these photos).

That's a pity, she's had several years to promote herself as serious princess-materiel, which would outweigh her past. Unfortunately I haven't noticed much in that respect.

Whatever. Her popularity or rather her general standing in the eyes of the public can really only go one way from here - up.
The odds are stacked against her and the expectations of her are low, so that will be her advantage.
If Carl Phillp and Sofia will be happy together, I can be happy. So congratulations from me. - And there is one thing I do admire about her: Her guts.
Because she will constantly be compared to Victoria and Daniel, not least Daniel, even though he is a man. That's a pretty daunting prospect!
Her nude photos will also be a constant companion in Sweden and everywhere else for many years to come and whenever she makes mistakes, and she will make mistakes, she will be knocked on the head is the "bimbo from Paradise Hotel".
I'm glad I'm not in her shoes!

ADDED: A closer look at the engagement ring: http://www.billedbladet.dk/sites/bi...ist_forlovelsesring_scanpix.jpg?itok=bepFjtmw

Last edited:
... why the press has always questioned Dan and Chris and praised this girl is beyond me really! At least she should not receive a title, which I fear she will... I don't buy the story that he proposed today because she was "all ready". (Dress, hair, manucure). About Carl Philip's sisters: I think they are calming down before releasing any polite message of congratulations. Especially Madde who might be eager to celebrate her husband's birthday....

But Daniel had also his own apartment the whole time. And according to the swedish press, Daniel stayed at his own home when Victoria was on her work trips.

The king at the interview to the queen: You came this morning from Brazil? The queen corrects: From Washington. :
Aftonbladet TV: Kungens galna glädjefnatt

I'm still confused why they chose this day to announce the engagement - the queen has just been on a three day trip to different time zone, in Washington and must be tired... Why they had such a hurry?

This is the part I don't understand either, most other royal couples are delighted to be able to have a few dys or weeks engaged without making it public. Here it seems to be that they can't wait for everyone to know the news, as if its not real until the public know. There's something rather superficial about that to me!!!

I for one want to give her the benefit of the doubt for now. Yes she has done some questionable things in years past. It's done, she can't erase it. I hope for the sake of the Swedish people that she gets stuck into patronages and duties and shows her worth.

Carl Philip obviously loves her and has faith that their relationship can last the tests that will undoubtedly come.

So I will wish them congratulations and watch their story unfold with great interest!

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

This scene on the balcony literally cries Victory! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

What's wrong with the balcony picture?

I quite like the balcony picture - nothing nicer than a royal on a balcony!

Yeah congrats to them, a handsome couple. Of course I also am happy because it pisses certain people off on this board. But it's sad that now all 3 of the children will be married.

Looks like the appearance on the balcony was pretty much out of happiness than anything else.

I can't believe my eyes, the king and queen come to the group photo with them. Why? They made the awkward video with Victoria and Daniel, and nothing with Madeleine and Chris.
And now the king and queen are talking and babbling with the press and praising Sofia? Why they are treating Carl Philip and Sofia so differently than Victoria and Daniel? Because the king wanted Carl Philip to be the heir...

Agree 100%!!!
This whole thing is a joke, so un-classy and amateur-ish.
I think behind closed doors this family is a mess.

The balcony scene sums it up for me, so tasteless
http://38.media.tumblr.com/13ff94517f33f19448ae76a6d5bdb792/tumblr_n7u8rgdS6l1rfso8ko1_500.jpg

Back
Top Bottom