Engagement of Prince Carl Philip and Sofia Hellqvist: June 27, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A secret letter from the King? Hmmmm not so sure if this likely. Anyhow does somebody have the paper issue and could post this ominous letter?

Did anyone read Se och Hör? Rumours has it CP told his parents that he would have given up his title if he could not marry Sofia... I don't have a link because I read that on another forum... Is it a reliable source?

The entire letter in a magazine??? If that is true then how did they get it? It's hard to believe that CP or the King send copies to the press. Or is this some PR trick I don't understand?

I hope someone over there is rushing out to buy a copy of that magazine. I would really love to know what that letter says. :)

I guess the letter isn't secret anymore if It appears in a magazine but it's not clear if this is the case.

Expressen Extra refers to the letter the king sent to the government asking for "permission" to the marriage.
Stoppa pressarna quote Expressen Extra.
The king sent the letter to the government on Wednesday 25th June (when queen Silvia was in Washington) and the prime minister gave his answer on Thursday 26th. The prince acted as quickly as he could. Since Sofia didn't knew about this he had to quickly ask the question, because the letters between the court and the government are public.
Så blåste kungen Sofia Stoppa Pressarna
Translation

Obviously they acted differently this time, since Victoria tells at the Wedding book, that the king asked for the permission of the government after Daniel had proposed to her.

Expressen Extra refers to the letter the king sent to the government asking for "permission" to the marriage.
Stoppa pressarna quote Expressen Extra.
The king sent the letter to the government on Wednesday 25th June (when queen Silvia was in Washington) and the prime minister gave his answer on Thursday 26th. The prince acted as quickly as he could. Since Sofia didn't knew about this he had to quickly ask the question, because the letters between the court and the government are public.
Så blåste kungen Sofia Stoppa Pressarna
Translation

Obviously they acted differently this time, since Victoria tells at the Wedding book, that the king asked for the permission of the government after Daniel had proposed to her.
IMO all this is very fishy...:ermm:

So that explains how the press knew about the letter. But why ask for consent before the engagement? Were they afraid that consent would be denied? But the public would have found out about the letter anyway. It makes no sense, imo.

It feels strange because the letters between the court and government are public, and on Friday there was at the Government's website the official statement of the governtment's consent to the marriage.
http://www.regeringen.se/sb/d/18524/a/243273
What if miss Hellqvist would have said no? Not very likely, but always a possibility. The press would have haunted them for weeks if there would not have come an engagement announcement.

Last edited:
So that explains how the press knew about the letter. But why ask for consent before the engagement? Were they afraid that consent would be denied? But the public would have found out about the letter anyway. It makes no sense, imo.

I think the King did the right thing by getting the consent in writing before any announcement of this engagement was made. I am sure informal consent of the Prime Minister had previously been got, and this was merely a process of documenting the consent. The fact is that this was no "slam dunk", so it is only fair that due process be followed.

Last edited:
I think the King did the right thing by getting the consent in writing before any announcement of this engagement was made. I am sure informal consent of the Prime Minister had previously been got, and this was merely a process of documenting the consent. The fact is that this was no "slam dunk", so it is only fair that due process be followed.

It is the consent of the whole government that is needed, not just the prime minister's. It feels ridiculous to ask an official consent from the government before the proposal, especially because Daniel and Chris had proposed before the king asked the consent. Victoria told at the Wedding book that The king asked the consent after Daniel was proposed, and the government gave their consent to Madeleine's and Chris' marriage on the same day the engagement was published.
What if Sofia would have got a high fever on Friday morning and wasn't in her right mind to understand any question? It seems unnecessary to take any risks in a case like this. Or maybe there is a possibility that the government wouldn't have published their consent if Carl Philip wouldn't have got a yes-answer. But normally all the normal statements of the government are public.

Last edited:
it sounds like they were afraid that the government didnt find her suitable, in this case CP would have refrained from popping the question without Sofia knowing about it?

I think it was probably down to scheduling.

it sounds like they were afraid that the government didnt find her suitable, in this case CP would have refrained from popping the question without Sofia knowing about it?

What was he going to do if the government refused? Not marry? Wait for a new government to be elected?

It seems strange that they did things the other way around..

When Harald tried to marry Sonja the government denied him the first time, he waited 9 years, but he was the heir. CP could have just ignored the whole government thing and done what Friso did and marry the person they loved anyway.

What do you mean by that?

Governments are not often sitting and often sit less in Summer. They have other business and he might have submitted it in advance cause the end of June was a bad time to submit. The Belgian government has said it is too busy with other matters to deal with the status of Prince Amedeo's soon to be wife even though they have been engaged for months and are about to wed. The King probably did not want a legitimate scheduling delay and people speculating about them not wanting to approve her.

What was he going to do if the government refused? Not marry? Wait for a new government to be elected?

It seems strange that they did things the other way around..

Waiting for a new government wouldn't have been an option, IMHO. After all the papers would have been published either way - permission granted or permission denied. A published denial would have created quite a bit of embarrasement. In particular, if CP hadn't popped the question.

All in all Ceallach is probably right that the King probably did not want a legitimate scheduling delay and people speculating about them not wanting to approve her.

Just one thing is obvious (something positive): CP discussed the matter with his father (maybe both parents) rather than confronting him/them with accomplished facts.

Waiting for a new government wouldn't have been an option, IMHO. After all the papers would have been published either way - permission granted or permission denied. A published denial would have created quite a bit of embarrasement. In particular, if CP hadn't popped the question.

All in all Ceallach is probably right that the King probably did not want a legitimate scheduling delay and people speculating about them not wanting to approve her.

Just one thing is obvious (something positive): CP discussed the matter with his father (maybe both parents) rather than confronting him/them with accomplished facts.

If CP wanted to keep his title and secure it for his future wife, discussing was a much better strategy than confrontation. But he could still have asked the one question between discussions with the King and asking permission of the government, and then wait for the government's answer before announcing the engagement. Maybe he wanted to spare Sofia a painful wait for approval?

Congrats to them! I hope it works out. :flowers:

Almost missed this news completely. Royals are not big in US but from whats being said about this Sofia I imagine there'd be even a small mention of as this is our kind of news :ermm:. Alas, I'll keeping my fingers crossed for a possible lifetime movie lol. :p

And the swedish royal court allows Carl Philip and Sofia continue extra high-profile media coverage after the engagement, they have given an interview to DT (Dalarnas Tidning), which covers Sofia's homeplace Älvdalen.
Victoria and Daniel and Madeleine and Chris didn't give this kind of interview. Victoria and Daniel gave interviews a month before the wedding.

DT met the couple last Friday in Falun. They were in Dalarna to visit the Peace & Love in Borlänge. Sofia Hellqvist sits on the board of the festival and this year she is most interested in the panel discussions, especially those dealing with diversity and racism.
It's been exactly one week after the engagement. How does it feel?
- Wonderful. Quite right. It's like coming home. We have not had time to meet much as Sofia has been in Almedalen ... but I've still been happy all week, says Prince Carl Philip and said that he was excited before the proposal.
- I was nervous and loaded. The whole body felt like it pulsed. I woke up several times at night before, I do not know if Sofia noticed. I wanted it to be a surprise, he says.
- He managed to surprise me, but I did think he was strangely refreshed that morning, says Sofia is otherwise one of the two who wakes up at six or seven in the morning and be ready for the day.
And now the prince was all awake, went down on his knees, and got of course his "yes".
The ring glistens in the sun which is blazing, and there is no doubt about the warmth between the newly engaged. A few minutes into the interview, they take each other's hands, and sitting so through the whole conversation.
Tell us about the first meeting?
- We met at a lunch. I sat there with some friends, and you came in with a friend of yours, who knew my friends. It just clicked right away, says Prince Carl Philip.
- We looked shyly at each other, and some said it click, but that it would end like this, I could never believe. Everyone who knows Carl Philip notice at once that he is an incredibly humble, warm and kind person. This can be seen in your eyes directly and who can resist that. The more I got to know you, the more it grew, says Sofia Hellqvist.
Other hit then?
- It was that you asked if I would keep up with the go-cart. You probably wanted to show your racing skills, says Sofia teasingly to the prince.

Sofia was asked about to be at to be a public figure.
Now you're a public figure, Sofia. How do you handle being a celebrity and the gossip?
- It's probably a reason that we have not taken this step earlier. I've wanted to get accustomed, it's a gradual process of being recognized all the time, when one hasn't been that all the time before.
Exklusivt för DT - nu berättar prinsen och Sofia om sin kärlek - dt.se
Translation

That is an interesting answer from Sofia, since she has tried to be a public figure for 13 years. The court works really hard for this couple to get positive media coverage for them. And by doing this they make even a bigger difference between Madeleine and Carl Philip, since Madeleine didn't give any interviews before the wedding. By treating one of the "royal children" this differently isn't right at all. Poor Madeleine, the "so shy" Carl Philip and Sofia are running totally over her.

Last edited:
Wasn't CP still with Emma when they met for the first time (the lunch he is mentioning)?

:previous:From what I have read, yes he still was with Emma. Makes one think that SH is one very smart person who sets out to get what she wants....a prince.

Well, CP says 'it clicked right away'. What a shameful thing to say now, IF he was still with Emma at the time.

I don't realy see it that way completly. It looks to me they are trying to endear her even a tiny bit to the public, of course this would be more then they had to the others given her past and gossip.

That is an interesting answer from Sofia, since she has tried to be a public figure for 13 years. The court works really hard for this couple to get positive media coverage for them. And by doing this they make even a bigger difference between Madeleine and Carl Philip, since Madeleine didn't give any interviews before the wedding. By treating one of the "royal children" this differently isn't right at all. Poor Madeleine, the "so shy" Carl Philip and Sofia are running totally over her.

But surely the main reason that Madeleine didn't give any interviews before ethe wedding is that she hates doing interviews and doesn't want to be a public figure at all. If she could have decided all by herself, I'm sure she wouldn't have allowed tv to broadcast her wedding.

But surely the main reason that Madeleine didn't give any interviews before ethe wedding is that she hates doing interviews and doesn't want to be a public figure at all. If she could have decided all by herself, I'm sure she wouldn't have allowed tv to broadcast her wedding.

I disagree with that, but its off topic in this thread. IMO the only person who doesnt want to be a public person is Chris, not Madeleine.

Sofia desperately wants to be a public person, that's for sure.

Back
Top Bottom