Christening of Prince Alexander: September 9, 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Could the gun salute have been a nod to Carl Philips naval career?

I think it is exactly that. But then again we cannot be sure since the papers say the king has been actively involved in the planning of this christening (something I don't recall reading with his other grandchildren) and made this request.

I think it is exactly that. But then again we cannot be sure since the papers say the king has been actively involved in the planning of this christening (something I don't recall reading with his other grandchildren) and made this request.

You are right. It was probably some court or military etiquette as Carl Philip is a high ranking military himself (wich Victoria and Madeleine is not but Victoria will be as Queen).

I remember the King was very actively involved in Estelle's christening too (chaired all planning meetings, in Church for all rehearsals etc)

About the salute: yes, I saw an interview with a high ranking military that participated in the salutation. The king asked for this as a gift to Carl Philip, since CP is a high ranking military officer. So it was for him, not perhaps so much for Alexander.

The whole ceremony was fine to me. Maybe a bit too quiet as none of the kids were turbolent.

Outfits definitely underwhelming.

I wish V hadn't held in Oscar throughout the service. It took some of the limelight off Alexander as my eyes were being drawn to both babies. It would have been a little bit more considerate to have had Daniel hold him for at least part of the service I think.

Why not? I found it cute that Oscar and Alexander were together. As I saw Daniel was occupied by Estelle, who is at 4 still young, and Victoria held her baby maybe to be him so calm?

I wish V hadn't held in Oscar throughout the service. It took some of the limelight off Alexander as my eyes were being drawn to both babies. It would have been a little bit more considerate to have had Daniel hold him for at least part of the service I think.

Well, the same could have been said for Oscar's christening as Madeleine held in her amrs Leonore, and she was amongst the goparents, too.

I thought it was charming when the babies reached to each other etc.

LaRae

alexander is a sweet baby. i think he looks a lot like sofia.

The guest list: no major foreign royals and Sofia's mentor Barbro. Are any of her friends from her reality show days on the list?

i am not surprised that there aren't foreign royals, but i am surprised that sofia's 'mentor' is not there. how strange.

Alexander's coat of arms: it looks similar to CP's. Sofia has been in the SRF for 15 months and she still doesn't have her own C of A.

i didn't know sofia didn't receive a coat of arms. that's truly strange. i assume daniel has one at least?

interesting to see in this video that sofia drives herself to the christening rehearsal... and there seems to be little security around her.

Alexander von Schweden: Der Countdown zur Taufe läuft! | BUNTE.de

Well, the same could have been said for Oscar's christening as Madeleine held in her amrs Leonore, and she was amongst the goparents, too.

I thought the same that day too. Much as we all love our children and enjoy showing them off we have to be aware of when it's someone else's day to be the star of the show. Oscar was getting much the same attention as Alexander today which was a little unfair as the spotlight should have been firmly on his cousin. I think V should have been a bit more aware of that and let D hold Oscar for that reason.

Last edited:
I thought the same that day too. Much as we all love our children and enjoy showing them off we have to be aware of when it's someone else's day to be the star of the show. Oscar was getting much the same attention as Alexander today which was a little unfair as the spotlight should have been firmly on his cousin. I think V should have been a bit more aware of that and let D hold him for that reason.

I think that Alexander was totally under the spotlight! He even got too much of a tribute from the King, but I know and understand where you are coming from.

I generally like children at the christenings as they are joyful family gatherings, and the swedish royal family gift us often with such treats!

It was a surprisingly calm event considering how many small children were attending (among them Leonore, the wild child). Very intimate and family orientated. And how cute were Oscar and Alexander when they were reaching to each other! Nice to hear traditionals hymns that are also used here in Finland in christenings and other children related events.

Last edited:
I would like to add a general thing about baptisms. I've been working in the swedish church for several years, and I've been to quite a lot of baptisms. In the swedish lutheran church, baptisms are usually frequented by other children in younger ages along with their parents. This also means that the kids can walk around the church and interact with other peopled during the ceremony, and that people - including the clergy - are used to this. My perception is that they are very much more laid back affairs than catholic baptisms. That doesn't mean that they are better or worse - just different.

What another gift the srf has given us. A real family occasion, with so many little children. I always love a boy choir, how appropriate and enchanting. The traditional hymns were lovely, and the arch bishop is also such a gift, I wish she was my minister! The only complaint that was the gown was a little too open in back, sor Sofia,s sake it should have been loosely basted for,the ceremony. What an adorable, chubby and happy baby. The two baby cousins together was priceless

I would like to add a general thing about baptisms. I've been working in the swedish church for several years, and I've been to quite a lot of baptisms. In the swedish lutheran church, baptisms are usually frequented by other children in younger ages along with their parents. This also means that the kids can walk around the church and interact with other peopled during the ceremony, and that people - including the clergy - are used to this. My perception is that they are very much more laid back affairs than catholic baptisms. That doesn't mean that they are better or worse - just different.
Thank you for that information. Here at our Congregational church, a Protestant denomination, children stay with their parents. They are also taken to a nursery for at least half of the services. This is pretty common in most churches I've been to

Last edited by a moderator:
The guest list: no major foreign royals and Sofia's mentor Barbro. Are any of her friends from her reality show days on the list?

Alexander's coat of arms: it looks similar to CP's. Sofia has been in the SRF for 15 months and she still doesn't have her own C of A.

As for the succession issue: the king has planned a 2nd salute (not done before) and a nod to CP. I don't think he has let it go.

All royal coat of arms in Sweden look similar. In Quarter III there are the Arms of the Dukedom.

The Royal Coat of Arms is (picture):
I and IV = the three Crowns of Sweden
II and III = the House of Vasa
Heartshield = the House of Bernadotte

All other royal coats-of-arms have the same systematic as the King's coat of arms except for quarter III:
Victoria has the Arms of the Duchy of Västergötland in quarter III.
Estelle has the Arms of the Duchy of Östergötland in quarter III.
Oskar has the Arms of the Duchy of Skåne in quarter III.
Carl Philip has the Arms of the Duchy of Värmland in quarter III.
Etc.

Princess Lilian has been given an own coat of arms, so I expect once Princess Sofia will get one as well, we will see.

Last edited:
@Duc et Pair - how long was it before Lillian received her C of A? Daniel got his two days before his wedding to Victoria.

Lovely pictures, seems like a happy family event. Alexander is such a sweet cherebum baby. I love all the cousins were there, and it was so cute seeing Oscar and Alexander together. I think it likely was just practical. Oscar was perhaps fussy or they were worried he wouldn't sit through it with dad. This way they didn't disrupt. Leonor sure was her usual self.

Not surprising Leopoldo and his wife were the foreign royals. Leopold is his godfather, the only of CP god parents able to attend, the other two living were unable.

Victoria's behavior after the christening ceremony really surprised me. She so clearly didn't want to stand or walk near Sophia's sister.

Victoria's behavior after the christening ceremony really surprised me. She so clearly didn't want to stand or walk near Sophia's sister.

Eh.. what? I've never seen any signs of her having any problem with anyone at all. At least not showing it in public. Why wouldn't she like Sofias sister?

I really don't know what kind of behaviour you're talking about. Victoria trusted Lina to hold Oscar while she herself was speaking. I doubt she would have done that, had she had any kind of issue with her. Does the absolutely unwarranted hate around here for Sofia now extend to her sisters as well? :eek:

ETA:
I must admit, I have a hard time finding evidence of this unfriendliness ;)

Attachments

• vlcsnap-2016-09-09-22h14m21s428.jpg
    vlcsnap-2016-09-09-22h14m21s428.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 296
  • vlcsnap-2016-09-09-22h14m52s980.jpg
    vlcsnap-2016-09-09-22h14m52s980.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 319
  • vlcsnap-2016-09-09-22h56m39s070.jpg
    vlcsnap-2016-09-09-22h56m39s070.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:
I liked watching the christening, it had a warm; sentimental feel to it (though I often think that the SRF's family events are like this).

Alexander is a lovely baby, and appears to be rather bonny, too. I loved the interactions between him and his cousin Oscar, it was sweet to see such a connection - it reminded me a little of Jacques and Gabriella at their christening in Monaco. It was also rather heartwarming to see Carl Philip smiling down at his son when Alexander was playing with the sleeves of his jacket.

I actually thought that Leonore was more well behaved than usual, she seemed calmer and almost more reserved. She appeared to sit/stand at her chair most of the time (I watched the christening twice) and only wriggled/walked of a couple off times. She's often the most energetic out of the Swedish children, IMO. This is what I observed though!

I also liked the music, particularly the piece used when Carl Philip and Sofia came in. Does the choir belong to a school or the church? I'm just wondering because I used to be in my local church's choir and I wore a jumper similar to the ones the young choristers were wearing, but they also look sort of similar to state school primary uniforms here in Britain.

Also, are there any photos of Alexander in the royal cradle?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom