Carl Philip's Language Skills

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tigress

City
Seattle
Country
United States
Hi, I'm new to the forum and I didn't know where else to ask this but is there any video or audio clips of Prince Carl talking in English? I was just curious

I've always wondered what he would sound like speaking English.

Carl Philip speaking German

Hej, hej,

I am just wondering if someone of you knows links to videos where Carl Philip is speaking German? I would be very interested in how he sounds.

I heard that he speaks it a little bit but not really good. And I once heard that he gave a short interview in German for a German TV kanal (ARD). But I couldn't find any video. So therefore i found maybe someone would know a link.

Did Silvia and Carl Gustav raise their children speaking 2 languages? German and Swedish? Or did they learn it later (in school)?

They was taught so they could talk with their grandparents.

Silvia said in an interview from 2000something (don't remember) that she raised them speaking only Swedish because she was told it might confuse the children if they were bilingual.

As far as I know they learnt German later.
Victoria speaks quite good German, but Carl Philip's isn't so great. I heard him in the ARD-interview, too.

I know there have been discussions on this before (I just can't find any) but how well does CP speak English? Didn't he attend school in America when he was younger?

Thanks!

I know there have been discussions on this before (I just can't find any) but how well does CP speak English? Didn't he attend school in America when he was younger?

Thanks!
Carl Philip has studied in America, both in mid-90´s when he attended Kent high school and last year when he studied at Rhode Island school of design. So he should be speaking very good english (just as a majority of the swedes)

Silvia said in an interview from 2000something (don't remember) that she raised them speaking only Swedish because she was told it might confuse the children if they were bilingual.
I think she was talking about portuguese, that she did not want to have a "secret language" with the children that their father couldn´t understand. I´m sure the King speaks german so that should not be a problem... and I think they had special homeeducation in german when they were kids.

Carl Philip has studied in America, both in mid-90´s when he attended Kent high school and last year when he studied at Rhode Island school of design. So he should be speaking very good english (just as a majority of the swedes)

I think she was talking about portuguese, that she did not want to have a "secret language" with the children that their father couldn´t understand. I´m sure the King speaks german so that should not be a problem... and I think they had special homeeducation in german when they were kids.
The same King is half german, since his mother was german; so I think he can speak german...

Thank you for the video! He speaks english very well - although I suppose that is not too surprising.

Your welcome gisabella. I also think he speaks english very well. He sounds very American there's barely a hint of an accent.

Your welcome gisabella. I also think he speaks english very well. He sounds very American there's barely a hint of an accent.

His English isn't accentless, he speaks English with an accent, an American accent! Listen carefully one of the words he says he pronounces it in a British English (Queen's English version) way. (When asked about how he got interested in racing) Considering he did part of his high schooling in the US it's not surprising he speaks English with an American accent.

His English isn't accentless, he speaks English with an accent, an American accent! Listen carefully one of the words he says he pronounces it in a British English (Queen's English version) way. (When asked about how he got interested in racing) Considering he did part of his high schooling in the US it's not surprising he speaks English with an American accent.

Charlotte1, there's no need to dissect every little thing I'm saying. I'm American, so of course I heard his "American" accent. Other countries accents are more noticeable. Of course I heard when he said "fast cars". I think it's wonderful. PCP switching up his accents just shows all the places he's had the privilege of visiting.

I know many people from Europe, Asia, Africa and the Caribbean who study and live here in the US and still have their countries accent. So it was very surprising to hear him speak English just like an American. Nothing is wrong with that.

It is really all just relative. I am also American, so I think, "Oh wow he has no accent." In general I am always amazed at how well all Scandanavians speak English; not just their vocabulary or mastery of the language but by their lack of a strong vernacular accent (does that make sense?) unlike Germans or French.

BTW...are you from Beverly Hills Princess Mia? I grew up there.

I hear a combination of American, British, and Swedish influences in his accent. But regardless, he speaks the language well and very clearly. Thanks for the video!

his sister the crown princess victoria has american accent , she went to private school there

Wow, I was surprised at how very American he sounds. I didn't hear any British at all just American with a every so tiny bit of Swedish. I'm very impressed. But, I'm always impressed by the European polyglots.

He does speak very good English!:)

Does anyone know what his family/friends call him? Do they just call him Carl or do they call him by his full name, Carl Philip?

Lippy? That's funny.:lol: I wonder if his friends call him that too.

its funny nickname , although i can't see the queen calling him that , just his sisters

Lippy? :lol: Where on earth did you read that?---I remember reading an article where his sisters and school chums called him"lippy" a few years ago.Sorry I can't remember where I saw it so I have no proof,but I thought it was funny at the time so it stuck in my brain.

I was surprised at how he pronounced his great-uncle's name. It sounded almost like "Bart-ul." I always thought it was pronounced more like "Burr-teel."

I've once read that Victoria and he have a little bit difficult answering to interviews because of their dislexia. Probably that is why he uses de "ah" too much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom