Carl Philip and Sofia's Wedding: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'v

I am reminded of Sarah ('Fergie') arriving with a garland of flowers on her hair and leaving the church with a tiara. Just the right touch, the commoner becoming the royal, and pretty much in the same position as Sofia.

Actualla Sarah Ferguson is quiet the exception in not wearing a tiara on arrival to the Wedding ceremony as commoner. For example Alexandra Manley, Marie Cavallier, Claire Coombs to name a few all married as commoner in Royal Families (niot the heir) and the all wore tiara during the entire Wedding ceremonies.
The same can be said for all the brides who have married in the dutch RF but they where already Princesses as the had had already been married in a civil ceremony who took place 1 or 2 days earlier (except for Máxima and Mabel).

Last edited:
I want to post this as a new thread, but can't figure out how to do it:

Are there any instances of Royal Weddings being called off at the 'last minute'?

I remember when the book about Princess Diana came out, it said she thought about cancelling the wedding just a few days before, but her sister told her it was too late.

Has anyone actually cancelled?

Prince Gustav of Berleburg cancelled his wedding to Elvire Pasté de Rochefort as did Duke Jean of Vendome with his planned wedding to princess Tatjana of Oldenburg.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

I believe Sarah was wearing the tiara under the flowers. The flowers were removed to mark the transition from commoner to princess.

I believe Sarah was wearing the tiara under the flowers. The flowers were removed to mark the transition from commoner to princess.

Yes, I think the flowers hid the tiara, but were removed just before her departure.

I want to post this as a new thread, but can't figure out how to do it:

Are there any instances of Royal Weddings being called off at the 'last minute'?

I remember when the book about Princess Diana came out, it said she thought about cancelling the wedding just a few days before, but her sister told her it was too late.

Has anyone actually cancelled?

Not a wedding, but wasn't Madeleine's engagement to Jonas Bergström called off at the last minute because the wedding would've been too close to Victoria and Daniel's wedding?

Yes the engagement call ff not the wedding.

:previous: Yes, it was the personal betrayal and public humiliation that sent Madeleine rushing off to work and hide in NY. A decision made at the worst possible time for her because I don't believe it was a well-thought-out option.

The connection to Victoria and her wedding was that Madeleine was unable to carry out a previously scheduled overseas engagement and, on almost the eve of her wedding, Victoria picked up the slack for her little sister and carried out that duty. It wasn't an obligation of duty, but rather of love.

The Bernadotte siblings were very close growing up and now, as adults, they still seem to be. Madeleine wanting her baby niece present at her wedding is an excellent example. I believe Sophia has the support if not the love of her future sisters in law, if for no other reason than they love their brother.

Aftonbladet writes that according to their information, "a source close to the court", Sofia comes with her father to the chapel were Carl Philip waits. Carl Philip doesn't have a bestman and Sofia doesn't have bridesmaids.
Sofias val i kyrkan_ Förs fram av pappa _ Prinsbröllopet _ Nyheter _ Aftonbladet

Meanwhile Expressen writes that Estelle will be one of the bridal attendants
Prinsessan Estelle blir brudnäbb på Sofia Hellqvists och prins Carl Philips bröllop | Kungligheter | Expressen

I guess only time will tell which tabloid is correct

Sofia will have no bridesmaids, I believe that. But bridesmaids and the bridal children aren't the same thing. Either Victoria or Madeleine have had bridesmaids, they had bridal children. I have hoped that Sofia would do differently and have her sisters as her bridesmaids.

I think it's charming, romantic and prettier to have children attendants rather than adult ones. But practically speaking the little ones are not so good at managing the bride's train.

I like the way Stephanie of Luxembourg did it...she had all children in her bridal party except two very young ladies(her niece and her sister-in-law Princess Alexandra) to handle her massive and heavily embroidered train.

Last edited:
I think it's charming, romantic and prettier to have children attendants rather than adult ones. But practically speaking the little ones are not so good at managing the bride's train.

Very true. Lady Sarah Chatto can attest to that, methinks, being the only one in charge of Diana's train (well, India was there – but she didn't really help too much) :ROFLMAO: IIRC one of the commentators said, "And Lady Sarah Armstrong-Jones, who's coped so wonderfully with that magnificent train".

You can do little children and then one adult like Kate and Zara Philips did so you still get cute overload from the kids and responsible adults in the same shot.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Last edited:
Well, that's pretty high falutin', as they say in certain parts. :p Do you really think they think of themselves in such-wise?

I am reminded of Sarah ('Fergie') arriving with a garland of flowers on her hair and leaving the church with a tiara. Just the right touch, the commoner becoming the royal, and pretty much in the same position as Sofia.

[...]

That "from commoner to Princess transformation" is a bit too much sugarcake Disney fondant, I am sorry to say... Diadems are not at all preserved for royal ladies or peeresses. That is just a myth. Anyone who wants to wear a diadem in the hairdo, befitting the event, can do so if she wishes.

Famous examples were Mrs. William Astor, Mrs. George J. Gould, Mrs. W.K. Vanderbilt, Mrs. Edward Stotesbury, Miss Margaret F. Rutherford, even Mrs John F.K. Kennedy, all been seen with glittering hair jewels... some of them even outshining royal or aristocrat ladies by sheer carat power and glitter...

:flowers:

Last edited:
That "from commoner to Princess transformation" is a bit too much sugarcake Disney fondant, I am sorry to say... Diadems are not at all preserved for royal ladies or peeresses. That is just a myth. Anyone who wants to wear a diadem in the hairdo, befitting the event, can do so if she wishes.

Famous examples were Mrs. William Astor, Mrs. George J. Gould, Mrs. W.K. Vanderbilt, Mrs. Edward Stotesbury, Miss Margaret F. Rutherford, even Mrs John F.K. Kennedy, all been seen with glittering hair jewels... some of them even outshining royal or aristocrat ladies by sheer carat power and glitter...

:flowers:

However, as of 2015, I believe it would be considered inappropriate for a non-aristocrat lady to wear hair jewels. We no longer see e.g. American billionaires wearing it as it used to be the case in the early to mid-20th century.

There's lots of women who wear 'hair jewels' to their weddings here in the U.S. I think in the 'deb' society it is still common for them to wear tiaras etc to coming out balls and similar events as well.

LaRae

However, as of 2015, I believe it would be considered inappropriate for a non-aristocrat lady to wear hair jewels. We no longer see e.g. American billionaires wearing it as it used to be the case in the early to mid-20th century.

I think a lot of that is less because it's inappropriate and more because styles have just become less formal. Sort of in the same way that people used to wear (nice, non baseball-cap) hats. It's just something you don't really see anymore, but not because it's inappropriate. In fact, I think some brides in the U.S. do wear tiaras - I've certainly seen ads for brides to rent (or possibly buy) tiaras, and I've seen the occasional picture of a bride wearing a tiara. It's not common, but I don't think it would be necessarily considered inappropriate.

That "from commoner to Princess transformation" is a bit too much sugarcake Disney fondant, I am sorry to say...

Yet you made a point of saying that Sofia would be dressed in all the privileges of her new 'high rank and status'. :ermm: Something is not adding up here.

A bit of conflating here that I feel a need to untangle. You were responding to me saying something about Sofia not coming to the church with a tiara but leaving with one. So you then said that Sofia would be dressed according "to her high rank and status" as the Duchess of Varmland. (I would call that by your own words 'sugarcake Disney fondant'). That was what I was calling 'high falutin', as do people really believe that Sofia will think of herself, once married, as being of 'high rank and status'? :huh:

Diadems are not at all preserved for royal ladies or peeresses. That is just a myth. Anyone who wants to wear a diadem in the hairdo, befitting the event, can do so if she wishes.

I agree. :flowers: But we're just talking here about a royal wedding with all the old markers of class, not so? How strange that we are talking potentially the same thing but in a kind of cross talk.

You seem to be saying that Sofia can/should show up at the church with a tiara because everyone else (wealthy commoners and what-all) do so, too, but also because Sofia is becoming the Duchess of Varmland and has a right to so dress, invoking the old traditions (the 'sugarcake Disney fondant').

I am saying that since she is in the old traditions why not come as the commoner and leave as the royal. Pretty simple.

Famous examples were Mrs. William Astor, Mrs. George J. Gould, Mrs. W.K. Vanderbilt, Mrs. Edward Stotesbury, Miss Margaret F. Rutherford, even Mrs John F.K. Kennedy, all been seen with glittering hair jewels... some of them even outshining royal or aristocrat ladies by sheer carat power and glitter. :flowers:

'Hair jewels' conveys something different to me than tiaras. I actually prefer 'hair jewels' to describe what I see (and use myself) for special occasions. There is so much more flexibility with hair-band type adornments and ropes of pearls or diamonds woven through one's hair. One can do great things with a braided bun.

I find tiaras archaic. My personal opinion. They had their purpose once, but they make no sense anymore (a bit like fascinators ;) ). If one is royal and has to wear one as part of the costume, fine. But as a choice, there are so many more classy ways to adorn one's hair (if one is into jewels). JMO.

Last edited:
I think a lot of that is less because it's inappropriate and more because styles have just become less formal. Sort of in the same way that people used to wear (nice, non baseball-cap) hats. It's just something you don't really see anymore, but not because it's inappropriate. In fact, I think some brides in the U.S. do wear tiaras - I've certainly seen ads for brides to rent (or possibly buy) tiaras, and I've seen the occasional picture of a bride wearing a tiara. It's not common, but I don't think it would be necessarily considered inappropriate.

I guess "inappropriate" was a bad choice of words. What I meant is that wearing a tiara would be old-fashioned and look a little bit ridiculous, a little bit like dressing like a Barbie doll.

I guess "inappropriate" was a bad choice of words. What I meant is that wearing a tiara would be old-fashioned and look a little bit ridiculous, a little bit like dressing like a Barbie doll.

Heck, I think many brides these days already look a bit ridiculous with their big, white, dresses and veils, especially for a daytime wedding when the guests are all dressed in ordinary clothes. Those brides already look like Barbie dolls so they might as well add a tiara if it gives them a kick.

Heck, I think many brides these days already look a bit ridiculous with their big, white, dresses and veils, especially for a daytime wedding when the guests are all dressed in ordinary clothes. Those brides already look like Barbie dolls so they might as well add a tiara if it gives them a kick.
You are so right. Weddings today are big business, huge! Brides wearing gowns costing thousands of dollars, satin, silk, buttons, bows, lace by the yard and veils, incredible huge veils and crinolines, huge move over Scarlet, crinolines, and the more bridesmaids the better.

So lets get rid of the crystal and diamante tiaras, push the boat out, and wear the real deal, especially if you are Sofia whose wedding, unlike most brides, will herald the beginning of a life of tiaras, instead of the once in a lifetime wedding day.

As to wearing a floral wreath instead, does Sweden even have such a tradition?

You are so right. Weddings today are big business, huge! Brides wearing gowns costing thousands of dollars, satin, silk, buttons, bows, lace by the yard and veils, incredible huge veils and crinolines, huge move over Scarlet, crinolines, and the more bridesmaids the better.

So lets get rid of the crystal and diamante tiaras, push the boat out, and wear the real deal, especially if you are Sofia whose wedding, unlike most brides, will herald the beginning of a life of tiaras, instead of the once in a lifetime wedding day.

As to wearing a floral wreath instead, does Sweden even have such a tradition?

Not sure about floral wreaths as a specifically Swedish tradition though it's been worn. I know some local traditions have a wreath of cloth with ribbons hanging from it but the most widespread bridal headgear is the bridal crown that is most often owned by and loaned from the parish church. Princess Margaretha famously wore one at her wedding in the early sixties.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

:previous: It wouldn't matter to the majority of Swedish brides. We don't get to see or watch them so it really is their day to celebrate as is their custom, fashion or whim.

No so for those female members of royal families nor those marrying into them. We expect the whole deal, the perfect royal bride and groom and the perfect royal wedding. And what's worse, we are a picky lot! :whistling:

I think a bride should wear what she likes, it's the one day you can go for it and yes look like a princess. However, I think one big white wedding is all your get you don't get to keep having them if your first marriage doesn't work out that to me is just ridiculous.

with this wedding we may not see a swedish royal wedding for 30 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom