Carl Philip and Sofia's Wedding: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I liked Sofia wore the Tiara Bragança at your wedding.

The Braganza tiara is the grandest tiara of the swedish royal family, worn by the current queen only. Queen Silvia has made it a tradition to wear it for incoming state visits from reigning monarchs and she also wore it for Crown Princess Victoria’s and Prince Daniel’s wedding in 2010 and for the sixtieth birthday of King Carl Gustaf in 2006. She has also worn it for most official portraits, but she has never worn it at the Nobel prize ceremony. Since crown princess Victoria can't wear it, neither can Sofia.

Yes, i know all that, but that's not what i'm talking about: CP is the male line descendant from the first Bernadotte, and that was what i was trying to say: in some families that is something special.
I'm not talking about dynasty, line to the throne or any of that; even in my own family (who are not hierarchical or tradionalists at all) when a male line descendent has a son, we mention it as a 'fun fact'. For us, that's about it, nothing special is expected or done when the situation occurs, but I'm sure there are some families who still consider it more than a fun fact...

I agree. Carl Philip, born as Crown Prince, is the new link in the unbroken royal male lineage of Swedish Bernadottes.

A little correction on the styles of the Dutch: Juliana was born a Duchess of Mecklenburg, Beatrix and her sisters are born Princess von Lippe-Biesterfeld, Willem-Alexander and his brothers are born Jonkheer van Amsberg. So in all cases the name and title or predicate of the father was respected. The title `Prince (Princess) of Orange-Nassau' ended as a hereditary title with Queen Wilhelmina, being the last male dynast. It then was changed from a hereditary title with a surname into a purely dynastic title and since then consequently granted to each new generation. The same happened recently in Denmark: all sons of Prince Henrik are now Count de Laborde de Montpezat as well, next to their title Prince of Denmark.

I liked Sofia wore the Tiara Bragança at your wedding.

Like LadyFinn said, this one is exclusivey worn by the queen, so it's highly unlikely Sofia will wear it (imo it's also too big as a wedding tiara :flowers: if such a thing is possible)

Add me to the list of people who don't really like the Cameo Tiara. It's a little on the large side IMO and I've never liked the white decorations on it. I'm not an expert on Swedish Royal Jewellery, although I do like the Laurel Wreath Tiara. It's quite pretty and looked lovely when Crown Princess Margareta wore it on her wedding day.

As for Sofia's dress, I think it will be designed by Valentino since he designed Princess Madeleine's dress and I think Lili von Rosboch von Wolkenstein's dress was also one of his designs. I'm guessing that her dress will be in that lacy style as well.

I hope she avoids lace. Lace is not for her imo. Simple yet elegant is more like her. She looked wonderful at Madeleines wedding and also hat a beautiful jacket at Victoriadagen this year. A wedding dress in that kind of style would be wonderful. Maybe one or two special details but nothing more. I've searched for examples of what type of wedding dress I could see her in and came up with this:

Bestseller Brautkleider 2014 - hochzeitsrausch Köln

But with another topline. No lace, but maybe something like this:

Pronovias präsentiert Ihnen das Modell Kainda. Atelier 2015. | Pronovias

Pronovias präsentiert Ihnen das Modell Barcaza. Costura 2015. | Pronovias

Pronovias präsentiert Ihnen das Modell Bonnie. Costura 2015. | Pronovias

I'm hoping for the Connaught tiara.

I find it a pity they will also get married in the summer. I think a winter wedding à la Casiraghi-Santo Domingo would have looked great in the Swedish winter.

I admit I haven't read this thread thoroughly so I don't know if this has been fielded yet but I just want to put in my two cents: I am very disappointed that they aren't having a winter wedding. Can you imagine around Christmas/New Year's with all the snow - maybe even with snow falling and everything inside ablaze with candles and red and gold? How could they pass that up? JMO. :flowers:

I'm hoping for the Connaught tiara.

I find it a pity they will also get married in the summer. I think a winter wedding à la Casiraghi-Santo Domingo would have looked great in the Swedish winter.

I love winter weddings too - I've always wanted to get married in the winter, all that snow amongst a white dress is quite magical IMO. However my country can be a little funny when it comes to snow, we've had it for three years in a row until last year, when it was just rainy and cold.

I agree, it would be nice if Carl Philip and Sofia had a winter wedding, although perhaps they won't have one for the practicality of it - a carriage in icy roads might not be that sensible. Also, I've noticed that newly married Swedish Royal couples tend to go in a boat after their wedding, and the river would probably have frozen over by the winter, so that's another reason as to why a winter wedding might not be the best idea.

I hope she avoids lace. Lace is not for her imo. Simple yet elegant is more like her. She looked wonderful at Madeleines wedding and also hat a beautiful jacket at Victoriadagen this year. A wedding dress in that kind of style would be wonderful. Maybe one or two special details but nothing more. I've searched for examples of what type of wedding dress I could see her in and came up with this:

But with another topline. No lace, but maybe something like this:

Pronovias präsentiert Ihnen das Modell Kainda. Atelier 2015. | Pronovias

Pronovias präsentiert Ihnen das Modell Barcaza. Costura 2015. | Pronovias

Pronovias präsentiert Ihnen das Modell Bonnie. Costura 2015. | Pronovias

It was just a guess, since as I've said before, most royal brides have worn lacy dresses for the past three years or so. Having said that, I do love the dress in the link that I highlighted - it's gorgeous and I can picture it quite easily on Sofia.

Last edited:
Somehow I can't picture a wedding in the winter at all. I associate winter with snow and cold and while that can be romantic it's by no means certain that present day winters *have* snow. Usually they are either just dry or rainy :sad:.

So although it means the wait is longer I am glad that they chose a summer wedding - I think it gives them more possibilities.
And red and gold - as Lady Nimue mentioned - are absolutely not colors that I associate with a wedding. Like the bridal bouquets of deep red roses that were in fashion a couple of years ago (maybe still?). That doesn't suit with a white wedding dress at all, in my opinion.
I suppose the winter wedding theme fit with the Casiraghi-Santa Domingo's nuptials but they are a very different branch, imo. Yes, I know it was only meant as an example ;).

KitKat2006; I hope that the links you provided are really for what you cite as their style? Because most are strapless and if there is 1 thing I strongly dislike with wedding dresses...

And yes, she wore a nice gown and suitable gown at Madeleine's wedding and I also liked her outfit at Victoriadagen, but as the bride she must stand out (along with her groom) so I think that is the moment to take her chance.

Apart from all that, I don't really know what type of gown I would like to see her in, I'll await what Sofia chooses.

Last edited:
I admit I haven't read this thread thoroughly so I don't know if this has been fielded yet but I just want to put in my two cents: I am very disappointed that they aren't having a winter wedding. Can you imagine around Christmas/New Year's with all the snow - maybe even with snow falling and everything inside ablaze with candles and red and gold? How could they pass that up? JMO. :flowers:

The traditional open carriage ride in the streets of Stockholm and other outdoor events involving interaction between the public and the royal familiy would be complicated in the winter. As you may know, it is pretty cold in Sweden around Christmas/New Year's.

Personally, I think a lot of it has to do with the passing down of the name. Up until recent times. when a woman married, she took her husband's name and would be a part of his "house" or dynastic line.

Carl Philip Bernadotte in times past (outside of the royal succession), being the first male, would be the one in the family to pass the name of Bernadotte down into future generations. Victoria would listed in family trees as nee Bernadotte.

I believe prince Daniel actually legally changed his name to "Westling-Bernadotte" to pass on the Bernadotte name to his children.

You are right that a royal dynasty used to be extinguished in the past when there were no more legitimate descendants in male line ascending the throne, but that rule hasn't been observed in some monarchies for quite some time. The House of Orange-Nassau for example technically ended with Queen Wilhelmina. Juliana would belong to the "House of Mecklenburg-Schwerin" ; Beatrix in turn would be the first monarch of the "House of Lippe-Besterfeld" and both Willem-Alexander and Amalia would be members of the "House of Amsberg". Nevertheless, all the aformentioned Dutch royals kept the name "Orange-Nassau" just as the "House of Windsor" won't die with Queen Elizabeth II and be replaced by the "House of Mountbatten".

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe prince Daniel actually legally changed his name to "Westling-Bernadotte" to pass on the Bernadotte name to his children.

Of course the king wanted that Victoria's children would have Bernadotte as their last name although the royals officially don't use it. According to the swedish name law Daniel could take Bernadotte as his last name and keep Westling as middle name. And that happened.

Of course the king wanted that Victoria's children would have Bernadotte as their last name although the royals officially don't use it. According to the swedish name law Daniel could take Bernadotte as his last name and keep Westling as middle name. And that happened.

Is Prince Daniel referred to as Prince Daniel Westling Bernadotte or Prince Daniel Westling-Bernadotte?

Is Prince Daniel referred to as Prince Daniel Westling Bernadotte or Prince Daniel Westling-Bernadotte?

The hyphen isn't allowed anymore in swedish middle and last names. It is used only in the old names like the Mistress of the Robes of the court, countess Alice Trolle-Wachtmeister has.
Daniel is Olof Daniel Westling Bernadotte, Prince of Sweden, Duke of Västergötland.
H.K.H. Prins Daniel - Sveriges Kungahus [NS4 version]

Last edited:
Also the title Prince or Princess is not combined with the surname Bernadotte, they are "of Sweden". In the same way as there are no "Princes of Windsor".

I must admit that I am a sucker for sleeves so I am not too keen on most of the exampes, but who knows what will happen :).

The hyphen isn't allowed anymore in swedish middle and last names. It is used only in the old names like the Mistress of the Robes of the court, countess Alice Trolle-Wachtmeister has.
Daniel is Olof Daniel Westling Bernadotte, Prince of Sweden, Duke of Västergötland.
H.K.H. Prins Daniel - Sveriges Kungahus [NS4 version]

LadyFinn, Thank you for the explanation about not having hyphenated names.
Is Westling part of Princess Estelle's name?

LadyFinn, Thank you for the explanation about not having hyphenated names.
Is Westling part of Princess Estelle's name?

No, because Victoria and Daniel have a joint last name, Bernadotte. If the parents have a joint last name, the child gets it in birth. Westling isn't anymore Daniel's last name, it is a middle name (mellannamn in swedish). But Daniel is the only member of the royal family who have Bernadotte as official last name.

Let's try and keep posts on-topic - who you like in the SRF and why and what not are not for this thread.

Anything further that is not wedding speculation or directly related will be removed.

If Prince Carl Philip and Sofia use a carriage, would this vehicle be the same carriage used by Princess Madeleine and Christopher on their wedding day?
Or are there various carriages which Prince Carl Philip and Sofia could choose from?

If Prince Carl Philip and Sofia use a carriage, would this vehicle be the same carriage used by Princess Madeleine and Christopher on their wedding day?
Or are there various carriages which Prince Carl Philip and Sofia could choose from?

Here is some info about the carriages of the Royal Stables
Carriages - Sveriges Kungahus

More info in swedish
Vagnarna - Sveriges Kungahus
Translation

So far the same carriage has been used in the king's and queen's, Victoria's and Daniel's and Madeleine's and Chris wedding.

Last edited:
The royal family have many carriages at the Royal Mews, when I visited the place while I was in Stockholm the guide said that (like with every thing), they have their regular carriages, and their finer ones.....and the parade coupe's tend to be the royal family's favorite open carriages......however the state landau's (which I think look better due to symmetry) are often used and might be considered....should there be a horse and carriage cortege.

No, because Victoria and Daniel have a joint last name, Bernadotte. If the parents have a joint last name, the child gets it in birth. Westling isn't anymore Daniel's last name, it is a middle name (mellannamn in swedish). But Daniel is the only member of the royal family who have Bernadotte as official last name.

Even if Daniel had kept Westling, Estelle could still have gotten Bernadotte as her surname. A Swedish child doesn't automatically inherit its last name from the father. :)

Even if Daniel had kept Westling, Estelle could still have gotten Bernadotte as her surname. A Swedish child doesn't automatically inherit its last name from the father. :)

You are right, but that wasn't asked. And it is much clearer when the both parents are Bernadottes. Since if Daniel's surname would still be Westling, Estelle could be Westling Bernadotte, if Victoria and Daniel would have chosen to have Westling as a middle name.

About the churches in Öland which are mentioned. When Madeleine and Jonas were looking at the Gärdslösa church for a wedding church, the press wrote that it takes 210 people. Victoria was confirmed at Räpplinge church, which is the royal family's summer church, and an old article mentions that there was about 500 people at the confirmation.

Last edited:
Lars Wallin had it easy to design a beautiful dress for Vicky, since Vicky modelled his designs for many years. Vicky has told that Wallin is one of her closest friends.

I agree! I would love for Sofia to wear a dress like that.... Why do we still have to wait so long? :sad: :lol:.

Totally agree. I so wish that they were having a winter wedding. :flowers:

Wedding date still unknown?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom