Carl Philip and Sofia's Wedding: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That article doesn't mention Chris' possible titles.

What about this paragraph? :flowers:

"– Självklart är kungen informerad. Diskussionen om Chris bolag påbörjades långt innan Chris O'Neill och Madeleines bröllop. Det var i samband med att man gjorde ställningstaganden kring Chris eventuella prinstitel. Vi har policy och den är tydligt formulerad och kungafamiljen diskuterar den."

What about this paragraph? :flowers:

"– Självklart är kungen informerad. Diskussionen om Chris bolag påbörjades långt innan Chris O'Neill och Madeleines bröllop. Det var i samband med att man gjorde ställningstaganden kring Chris eventuella prinstitel. Vi har policy och den är tydligt formulerad och kungafamiljen diskuterar den."

Ah, that. Yes. It's mentioned, you're right. But it doesn't mean that Chris for certain would have become prince. On the other hand, it might, since the situation for the other Royal siblings changed from the point in time when Jonas Bergström was supposed to marry Madeleine...

Correct. Adopting husbands' surnames is not automatic in Sweden. Swedish noble titles are no longer legally recognized, and using them is optional.

Using your husbands surname and eventuall titles isn't automatic but when marrying a nobleman you automatically get the right to use them. That said even people of noble birth in Sweden rarely uses their titles in daily life.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Should she not automatically take her husband's title upon marriage?

I.e. HRH etc.

I'll be waiting for this wedding with extra spicy barbeque chips and cola! :popcorn: :clap:

I want the grandest jewels of the Swedish Vaults on the bride and a bridal veil to end all veils! Longer than the anaconda and I'll be in heaven! :kiss:

That article doesn't mention Chris' possible titles. Lady Finn made a good summary of the situation in an earlier post. Since Chris isn't a Swedish citizen, he can't hold any Swedish titels. That includes both duke and prince. We don't know if he was offered both. But we do know that Jonas Bergström was "only" offered to be a duke, which he accepted. I don't know why they would have treated Chris differently than Jonas.

I don't remember what was said at the time but did they specifically say Jonas was offered only the title of the duke? Or did they only announce he was going to become duke? I'm asking this because if we don't know what Chris was offered, maybe Jonas was also offered both but just didn't want to be a prince.

I don't remember what was said at the time but did they specifically say Jonas was offered only the title of the duke? Or did they only announce he was going to become duke? I'm asking this because if we don't know what Chris was offered, maybe Jonas was also offered both but just didn't want to be a prince.

It was told at the engagement press conference, all the newspapers and media told about it.
"In connection with the wedding Jonas Bergström becomes the Duke of Hälsingland and Gästrikland, told the Marshal of the Realm, Ingemar Eliasson"
Prinsessan Madeleine och Jonas mötte pressen – Metro

Last edited:
^ Yes I know that they announced him to become the duke. I ment did the court ever say what was offered for him? Did they only offer the duke or did they offer duke+prince but he chose to become only the duke?

^ Yes I know that they announced him to become the duke. I ment did the court ever say what was offered for him? Did they only offer the duke or did they offer duke+prince but he chose to become only the duke?

Nothing like that has been told at the swedish press, at least I haven't seen that. Jonas himself said at the press conference that the title of the duke is a bonus. The Marshal of the Realm, Ingemar Eliasson was at the press conference and told that Jonas would become a duke and that's it. According to the swedish press Jonas's title would have been "Mr Jonas Bergström, duke of Hälsingland and Gästrikland". I think that Eliasson told that also at the press conference.
Jonas blir vår nye hertig – men behåller efternamnet _ Svensk Damtidning
Translation

Prinsessan Madeleines förlovning_ Hertig Jonas – en skön snubbe _ Victoria gifter sig _ Nyheter _ Aftonbladet

The press was wondering would Chris get a title or not and which title. But there wasn't so much discussion about that. The discussion about that if Chris was offered a prince title has become because of the court press release which we have here discussed about. And I still think that he wasn't offered a prince title, just a duke.

Last edited:
Stoppa pressarna quotes Expressen Extra, which has speculated that not even all the friends of the couple are invited to the wedding dinner.
"Sources close to the couple" have revealed to Expressen Extra that Carl Philip and Sofia have had it tough to choose which ones to get fill the 200 seats for the dinner at Vita Havet after the ceremony in the Royal Chapel, which takes around 400 guests. An informer who self received an invitation to the dinner says there are some from Prince's old group of friends who have expressed their disappointment about not getting a seat at the dinner table, even though they may have received an invitation to the wedding ceremony.
Så tvingas Carl Philip och Sofia svika sina vänner _ Stoppa Pressarna

I believe that happens at most royal weddings: a central venue for the main guests and other venues for the rest. Imagine that all guests attending in Westminster Abbey were cramping into Buckingham Palace... only a few were attending the wedding banquet. The rest of the guests are often offered another banquet in various hotels. I assume this will be the same in Stockholm.

IIRC correctly: at the pre-wedding dinner of the Lux. HGD, the A-list royals were having dinner in the palace/parlement building while the lesser gods were having dinner at the Cercle Cité. Later they were transported to the palace for the ball. For the wedding of CP Pavlos, a large group of guests didn't fit in the church in London and watched the ceremony from a party tent.

Of course it is totally normal, but the press wants to speculate that not even the people who see themselves as close to the couple aren't among the 200 invited. Both at Victoria's and Daniel's and Madeleine's and Chris's weddings not all the guests were invited to the wedding dinner. At Victoria's wedding at the Stockholm Cathedral there were 1200 guests and at the wedding dinner 558 guests.

Last edited:
Does anyone know:

1.What time does the TV STATION GO LIVE ON AIR?
2.What time does TV transmission END?

I hope to be able to watch from the UK?

Does anyone know:

1.What time does the TV STATION GO LIVE ON AIR?
2.What time does TV transmission END?

I hope to be able to watch from the UK?

We can't know that because the official broadcaster Sveriges Television SVT hasn't published the information about how they are broadcasting the wedding, when does the broadcast start and when it ends.

Last edited:
200 guests is a very small number for a royal wedding, isn't it? Even rather average people sometimes have that number of guests at their wedding reception. When you consider that CP has a rather large family and that any royal guests can’t be excluded from the reception, there really isn’t much space for friends. I wonder what they will do with CP’s cousins or the Bernadotte relatives. Are they left out as well?

200 guests is a very small number for a royal wedding, isn't it? Even rather average people sometimes have that number of guests at their wedding reception. When you consider that CP has a rather large family and that any royal guests can’t be excluded from the reception, there really isn’t much space for friends. I wonder what they will do with CP’s cousins or the Bernadotte relatives. Are they left out as well?

We don't know if there will be 200 guests at the dinner, or is the number just a guess from the press. Probably there isn't enough room for much more guests at Vita Havet though.

Since this isn't official, I put this to this thread.

According to Expressen's sources, the king has made his decision: Sofia will be a princess. And the royal family wants it clear before Sunday, so that when Sofia arrives to the publishing of the banns of marriage, it is known that she will become a princess when she marries Carl Philip.
Kungens beslut_ Blir en prinsessa _ Nyheter _ Expressen
Translation

If this is true, maybe the court gives the official press release soon.

According to Expressen's sources, the king has made his decision: Sofia will be a princess. And the royal family wants it clear before Sunday, so that when Sofia arrives to the publishing of the banns of marriage, it is known that she will become a princess when she marries Carl Philip.
Translation

Don't remember but when was it announced that Chris would get no Titles. Before the bans.
With Daniel it was already announced with the engagement that he would became Prince and Duke.

Don't remember but when was it announced that Chris would get no Titles. Before the bans.
With Daniel it was already announced with the engagement that he would became Prince and Duke.

The press release about Chris's title was given on 17th May, the banns were on 19th.

Älvdalen's project manager for the wedding, Ing-Marie Bergman, had suggested that the Per Mats Square would have been renamed as Sofia Square. The City Council would have considered it tonight. But this morning the motion has been withdrawn.
The fact that Sofia Hellqvist will marry a prince has set Älvdalen on the map and given that she should be honored with a public square. The news spread on Monday morning. But the woman who brought the motion has changed her mind.
- I have afterwards learned that the streets are not named after living persons. There have been inquiries about that it would be nice if Sofia had a street named after her. But now it's not the case, says Bergman.

According to Expressen, the king has decided to give the princess title to Sofia Hellqvist will get connected with the wedding.
- We believe that Sofia will be princess and we are very proud and happy. It really is a great event for Älvdalen, says Bergman.
But according to court nothing is definite.
- It is not clear yet, says Margaret Thorgren from the press department.
Ville ge Sofia torg i Älvdalen – ändrade sig _ Nyheter _ Expressen
Translation

From Aftonbladet
If Sofia gets the title of princess or not is currently unknown.
- We will come out with it when it's ready. It is not clear yet, says Margareta Thorgren.
Sofia Hellqvist skulle få torg – ändrade sig _ Nyheter _ Aftonbladet

Last edited:

Translation

Had almost forgot that we were waiting for this decision. It's very good news but not really a surprise though. Even if it was seen as an obvious decision we shall remember that this is the King's decision.

Is this the same designer for Victoria's wedding dress?

If this is the Norman Hartnell of Sweden, we have a lot to look forward to.

Is this the same designer for Victoria's wedding dress?

If this is the Norman Hartnell of Sweden, we have a lot to look forward to.

No, Victoria's wedding dress was designed by Pär Engsheden. And even if they would have the same designer, my guess would be that Sofia's wedding dress will be totally different from Victoria's - for they have very different body structures.

No matter what I think of her personally I've never had any doubt that SH will be a perfectly beautiful bride.;)

I think a Sunray Tiara would be lovely.

What crown do you they will use?

The Crown of Sweden's Heir Apparent (also called the Crown prince coronet) and Prince Wilhelm's crown were used to Victoria and Daniel at their wedding. Prince Oscar's (II) crown was used at Estelle's christening. Princess Hedvig Eleonora Charlotte's crown was used at Madeleine's and Chris's wedding. Princess Eugenie's crown was used at princess Lilian's funeral and Leonore's christening.
There is also duke Karl XIII's crown, which was used at prince Bertil's funeral. And duke Fredrik Adolf's crown. And princess Sofia Albertina's crown, which was used at the last time at Victoria's christening.

Maybe prince Oscar's or duke Karl XIII's crown for Carl Philip. And if Sofia becomes a HRH and princess, maybe princess Hedvig Eleonora Charlotte's crown for her.

At what point were they used? They didn't wear them on their heads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom