Birth of Prince Julian Herbert Folke, Duke of Halland: March 26, 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dreadfully.

This is the reason why I’m hesitant in naming a boy of mine “Carl”.

The Swedish pronunciation is nice but the American or British pronunciation is dreadful, IMO. Each to their own ?

I have to say their taste in names aligns with mine ;) Alexander is my favourite boy name and Gabriel & Julian are lovely too.

So I guess we can say that for all 3 children they picked names that are classic names, popular in Sweden today and internationally recognizable. I can't think of another Prince Julian right now but of course the name goes back to Julius Caesar and the female form of Juliana has been used in royal families.

Personally, I like the Swedish pronunciation of Julian better than the English one.

Halland, in memory of Prince Bertil & Princess Lilian, who were like grandparents to Carl Philip and his siblings, is a lovely touch :flowers:

Halland, in memory of Prince Bertil & Princess Lilian, who were like grandparents to Carl Philip and his siblings, is a lovely touch :flowers:

Prince Bertil was Carl Philip's godfather.

Photos from Te Deum, by Henrik Garlöv.
https://www.kungahuset.se/images/20...Deum-Foto-Henrik-Garlov-Kungl.Hovstaterna.jpg
https://www.kungahuset.se/images/20...-Foto-Henrik-Garlov-Kungl.Hovstaterna (2).jpg

Sofia's parents and sister Lina attended at Te Deum. Victoria and Daniel didn't attend. It was planned that they would, but out of consideration for the family, they made this decision because they have recently been ill with covid-19.
Te Deum för prins Julian – och Sofias föräldrar är med _*Svensk Dam

Last edited:
I like that. Do we know if he is getting a Coat of Arms?

Julian is not my favorite name, but it is OK. The press release confirms that Prince Julian, like his brothers, will not be a member of the Royal House and will not have the style of Royal Highness.

In accordance with His Majesty The King’s decision of 7 October 2019 regarding changes in The Royal House, Prince Julian is a member of the Royal Family but not of The Royal House. The Prince will therefore not enjoy the style of Royal Highness.
That creates some complications. As Tatiana Maria explained, the Law on Sweden's national coat of arms of 1982 allows the Head of State to give other members of the Royal House permission to use the greater national coat of arms, which is also the personal coat of arms of the King of Sweden, as their personal arms, with the changes and additions determined by the Head of State (usually one of the quadrants is replaced with the arms of the province associated with the prince's duchy).

Likewise, the royal orders regulations of 1974, as amended in 1995, state in Paragraph 1 that the Royal Order of the Seraphim can be awarded to heads of State or persons of equal rank, or to the members (again) of the Swedish Royal House.

Since Prince Julian is not a member of the Royal House, it can be argued that he is not legally eligible neither to a differentiated royal coat of arms, nor to the order of the Seraphim, both of which his brothers already have.

Having said that, Prince Julian was, however, given a duchy. As Tatiana Maria also explained, the use of ducal titles by Swedish princes is no longer regulated in Swedish public law. Previously, it fell under Paragraph 45 of the Instrument of Government of 1809 which said that "the Crown Prince, the hereditary princes, or the princes of the Royal House" according to old usage, could have titles of duchies attached to them, without any rights to the provinces whose names they bear.

Only a few parts of the Instrument of Government of 1809, including most notably Paragraph 2 that requires the King to be a member of the Church of Sweden, are still in force, but most of it, including Paragraph 45, was repealed by the new Instrument of Government of 1974, which modernized and replaced the old one. Accordingly, there is nowadays no legal basis in Swedish public law to the awarding of duchies to Swedish princes.

King Carl Gustaf, however, seems to interpret that he retains that right as an unwritten royal prerogative in the condition of head of the Royal House. Given that duchies are formally announced in Councils of State, which are constitutionally sanctioned meetings of the Head of State with the cabinet, I assume that the government also officially acknowledges that prerogative. If the prerogative, however, is derived from "old usage" as confirmed in the Instrument of Government of 1809, it is debatable whether it also extends to members of the Royal Family who are not members of the Royal House, like Prince Julian.

As I also argued with Tatiana Maria, membership of the Royal House enables perks like a royal coat of arms, the order of the Seraphim, or a duchy, but it also implies obligations in Swedish public law. For example, the Act of Succession requires that princes or princesses of the Royal House be raised in the realm. It also requires that they receive the consent of the government, asked by the King, to contract marriage, or, otherwise, the prince or princess and all their future descendants are excluded from the line of succession. Finally, they cannot become the Head of State or sovereign of another country without the consent of the King and the Parliament of Sweden or, otherwise, they and their descendants also lose their succession rights.

As members of the Royal Family, on the other hand, the only constitutional constraint that applies to CP's and Madeleine's children under the Act of Succession is the obligation to be members of the Church of Sweden, or else, lose their succession rights.

It seems that the King wants CP's and Madeleine's children to enjoy all the benefits of being a member of the Royal House (other than carrying an HRH and doing official state-funded royal work), but wants to free them from other constraints in Swedish public law that come with being a prince or princess of the Royal House.

Last edited:
Hm. Well.
Can't say I care for the name Julian. At all.
Of course, I didn't like Gabriel, either.

Herbert I don't much care for, but as it's a family name, it's fine as a middle name. And Folke is almost expected, I feel like, so it's fine.

But Julian.

At least I'm OK with the duchy. Surprised, but OK.

Fortunately, Carl Philip and Sofia won't know or care that some random American doesn't like their choice in names.

Absolutely thrilled that the parent's and the royal family have paid this tribute to the late Duke & Duchess of Halland . They were an integral part of the family , performing the role of Grandparent's to Victoria , Carl Phillip , and Madeleine . HH's personal names are classic , and appropriate .

How lovely that Prince Alexander attended the Te Deum with his father! 3 beautiful healthy sons for Carl Philip and Sofia, they must be on cloud 9!

I don't think anyone us would have guessed Prince Julian Herbert Folke and nice to see the Duchy of Halland being used again.

Pretty sure all three names had been guessed but not in this combination. :flowers:

So the Duchy of Halland goes to the child of CP, not surprising.

I used to think that they are done having children (after Gabriel), but I start thinking will they go for a fourth for a girl.

Last edited:
If Sofia and Carl Philip are welcoming a forth son and this son will be named Gustaf or has Gustaf as one of his middle names all children of them has one name of the king:

Alexander Erik HUBERTUS Bertil
Gabriel CARL Walther
Julian Herbert FOLKE

The only name missing is Gustaf.

Not my favorite name! Whatever ... nice touch to give the child the Duchy of Halland.

I like that name. Alexander, Gabriel and Julian. Congrats!

Pretty sure all three names had been guessed but not in this combination. :flowers:

So the Duchy of Halland goes to the child of CP, not surprising.

I used to think that they are done having children (after Gabriel), but I start thinking will they go for a fourth for a girl.

They might go for number four, Princess Sofia is only 36yrs.

Last edited:
If Sofia and Carl Philip are welcoming a forth son and this son will be named Gustaf or has Gustaf as one of his middle names all children of them has one name of the king:

Alexander Erik HUBERTUS Bertil
Gabriel CARL Walther
Julian Herbert FOLKE

The only name missing is Gustaf.

You're right, all the names honuour the King whose full name is
Carl Gustaf Folke Hubertus

Isn't Hubertus and Herbert the same name though? If so, then the King has been honoured twice.

You're right, all the names honuour the King whose full name is
Carl Gustaf Folke Hubertus

Isn't Hubertus and Herbert the same name though? If so, then the King has been honoured twice.

I don't know. In the Catholic Church, Saint Herbert and Saint Hubertus (or Hubert) are two different saints.

Here are the Wikipedia links for the two given names, which seem to have different etymologies. The "bert" part in both names, however, according to Wikipedia, has the same origin, meaning "bright".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubert

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbert_(given_name)

This is the reason why I’m hesitant in naming a boy of mine “Carl”.

The Swedish pronunciation is nice but the American or British pronunciation is dreadful, IMO. Each to their own ?

I believe the German pronunciation (at least the "j" sound) is similar to the Swedish, although the stress may be different. Is the Danish pronunciation similar too?

Last edited:

No, it's not. The last part, "bert" is a German name, it means "light" or "noble" and can be combined with different first elements to create a new name with added meaning. The first element in Herbert means "army", while the first part of Hubert means "mind" or "heart".

The name Julian was a little of a surprise , but the combination of all three sounds very nice. I must say he is a real cute little Prince, the Duchy of Halland I hoped for. Welcome to the world little prince Julian.

I love the name Julian. In fact I have loved all three names for the brothers. They seem to be a lovely little family.

lovely name, julian, a bit unexpected. he looks a lot like sofia, i think. interesting they picked the duchy of Halland for him, i wonder how it got assigned to such a late grandchild. given the association with lilian and bertil, i expected it to be given to one of the first born grandchildren, rather than the 8th.

it is great to see otherwise that julian and sofia were so quickly out of hospital. the swedes make birth look so simple!

lovely name, julian, a bit unexpected. he looks a lot like sofia, i think. interesting they picked the duchy of Halland for him, i wonder how it got assigned to such a late grandchild. given the association with lilian and bertil, i expected it to be given to one of the first born grandchildren, rather than the 8th.

it is great to see otherwise that julian and sofia were so quickly out of hospital. the swedes make birth look so simple!

Maybe they weren't planning on giving it out this generation since Princess Lillian only died in 2013 but then chose it for CP's 3rd son (after his first son got one of the most historically important ones) because Prince Bertil was his godfather.

So stoked that they went for Julian! Partly because it was among my guesses for him :D but also because I love the name. It fits right in with Alexander and Gabriel.

And Halland! What a lovely tribute to Bertil who was the third son, just like little Julian is.

How is Julian pronounced in Swedish’s?

He is a cute baby , I think it loos a lot to his father, his same eyes, I am sure they are happy with another baby and the brothers too. I like the name!

With the birth of Prince Julian there are now 11 in the line of succession to the Swedish throne.

Back
Top Bottom