Willem-Alexander, Máxima and Family, General News 4: Sep 2020- Aug 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rossina

Former Moderator
City
Country
India
Welcome to Willem-Alexander, Máxima and Family, General News Part 4.
In this thread you can post general news and information about the Dutch king and queen and their daughters :flowers:

The previous thread can be found
here
Please take a look at the
TRF Community Rules & FAQs

Last edited:
Well done.

Beautiful painting, love it!

The King with his family are in Greece for holidays

"Deputy Prime Minister De Jonge was surprised at the weekly press conference by questions about a holiday of King Willem-Alexander with his family to Greece. They have a home there. During the press conference, De Jonge knew nothing about it, but it later turned out that the king was indeed on a plane around that time, political sources report."

https://nos.nl/artikel/2352599-griekenland-vakantie-koning-verrast-kabinet.html

The family has cancelled their holidays in Greece and will return to the Netherlands, King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima have made a statement this evening:

We will abort our vacation. We see people's reactions to media reports. And they are intense, and they affect us. We do not want to leave any doubts about it: in order to get the COVID19 virus under control, it is necessary to follow the guidelines. The discussion following our holiday does not contribute to that

** koninklijkhuis: Mededeling van de Rijksvoorlichtingsdienst namens Zijne Majesteit de Koning en Hare Majesteit Koningin Máxima **

I was just about to write: are they serious, the country basically in lockdown, people are asked to suspend non essential travel and they go on holiday?!
At least they are not shy to publicly admit a mistake. And this is a serious mistake, in other countries, well ... this is something where you can seriously put people off and it will be hard to get their appreciation back.

I don’t think they have apologised though or at least not in so many words and yes, its this kind of thing that ebbs away the goodwill.

Not sure how returning from Greece helps in fighting the pandemic after they just arrived (and had a private villa to stay in) but I guess it will help to earn a little goodwill back as they are apparently not completely out of touch when the criticism is so loud. The whole decision to leave even though the country is in a partial lockdown was not thought through well enough... not sure why they thought it a good idea... And it's not that they didn't make a mistake regarding holidaying in Greece already :whistling:

And Katymcwaity is correct: they didn't apologize, they only state that they are touched by the fierce criticism and that the debate 'doesn't help', so they will return...

Mentioning awareness of criticism is good, but what's wrong with "it was a mistake and we apologize"? Is it that delicate to say you're sorry?

How is this a big deal? Most people in the Netherlands don't wear masks and seem to drastically underestimate the danger of COVID-19. in that light, the outrage about the royal family feels quite phony. Maybe some anti-royals push an agenda.

How is this a big deal? Most people in the Netherlands don't wear masks and seem to drastically underestimate the danger of COVID-19. in that light, the outrage about the royal family feels quite phony. Maybe some anti-royals push an agenda.

People are going on holidays so Im not sure why it is wrong for the RF, to do so

Mentioning awareness of criticism is good, but what's wrong with "it was a mistake and we apologize"? Is it that delicate to say you're sorry?

Agree. That seems like a good enough apology from Maxima and WA and as someone shielding in lockdown, I appreciate them for owning up to their mistakes - it sets an example to the rest of the Netherlands.

Agree. That seems like a good enough apology from Maxima and WA and as someone shielding in lockdown, I appreciate them for owning up to their mistakes - it sets an example to the rest of the Netherlands.

I was agreeing with the people who pointed out they haven't apologized, actually.

What a blunder from the king and the prime minister. Only a few days ago the PM asked people to stay home during the autumn holiday. Although legally it may still be allowed to go abroad it certainly is out of tune with what is going on and it paints a portrait of a King who is out of touch, insensitive and uncaring about what is going on. One rule for the little people and another rule for him and his family.

How on earth could he have thought that it would be a good idea to go for yet another vacation to Greece while the country is in the middle of a second wave of the pandemic & in a semi-lockdown? The prime minister said only on Tuesday that all of us should be more careful in scrutinizing our own behavior. The King - as head of state- can be expected to, and should, lead by example.

If the political antenna of the king is still making easily avoidable blunders at this stage that is cause for great concern. It brings back memories of the ill-fated choice of the house in Mozambique. If this happened 15 years ago one could say that he would have to learn etc. But if neither the King nor his advisors can read the room at this point in time, one wonders what will happen if a more serious matter will pop up. Or perhaps advisors did give an urgent warning but the king chose to ignore it, as he ignored his mother's warning about the house in Mozambique, which would be even worse.

The prime minister can expect some scrutiny in parliament next week from what is left of the left parties and certainly from the populist parties as well. Five party leaders have already been wondering openly why the prime minister has not saved the king from himself & warned about taking this vacation. More will surely follow. The PM gives the king and queen a lot of freedom but that also means that they can freely get themselves into trouble, as they did now. It is the PM's responsibility however to keep the monarchy out of trouble, which apparently requires a tighter form of management than is the case at the moment.

At least he did the right thing and apologized and returned. But the reputational damage will be large and will take time to mend.

Last edited:
Oh what a bad decision from the King and his family to go abroad for holiday during difficult times. I know many people are holidaying now, but WA is the King and should be the one to set an example by following the guidelines and holidaying in the country, not abroad.

What everyone do is one thing, but what the King does is another. I wonder what was he thinking when he decided to take his family to Greece. Perhaps he thought nobody would know where they went? He gambled and he lost. I hope he and his family learn from this mistake, and show more empathy and understanding toward others.

Last edited:
That's hardly a apology, or a statement to admitting a mistake to me tbh.

I could be, and I hope I am wrong, I feel a sense of arrogance and senselessness from DRF recently.

Wow, I am shocked by this. I always thought WA and Maxima were fab but this seems such a silly and unnecessary thing to do and extremely out of touch, I can't help but make that usual awful cliche about "let them eat cake". Even if it is within the law there is something to be said for monarchs at least pretending to "be in this with their people" even if they can do it from luxury mansions with plenty of open space to comply with the government's request to the rest of the country to stay at home.

Their statement is disappointing as it shows they don't feel the need to apologize, to be honest IMO saying "We see people's reactions to media reports. And they are intense, and they affect us." is basically saying - we are doing this because we know people will dislike us if we don't and we need to save face, it doesn't actually say they were wrong more "oops we got caught and for that we are sorry as it means we have to come back home"

When you consider that their people are being asked to stay at home during this time to prevent the virus spreading, the super rich King & Queen flying off in a publicly funded government plane with (presumably) a number of (publicly funded) staff along with them to their super luxurious holiday home hardly strikes of being "with the people"

I've always been impressed with how "grand" in many ways the Dutch RF has seemed over time, I wondered if that was just the way Beatrix presented herself but it does seem as if, with a number of recent things, they really are perhaps getting a little too grand.

Last edited:

The thing is, that this is rapidly changing, and just this week, the weekly announcement from the prime-minister has set a lot of much more rigid measures than the week before (not to mention the period before that), reason is the nr of contaminations with covid are strongly on the rise and we want to avoid a total lock down if we can.
Currently these are some of measures taken:
- you can have max. 3 visitors in your house
- outdoors max 4 people together
- work from home unless it's really impossible
- bars and restaurants are closed (takeaway or food delivery is possible)
- travel as little as possible, always wear a facial mask
- facial mask mandatory in stores, no sale of alcohol after 8 pm, separate store openingtimes for elderly

these weeks have the autumn holiday week for many dutch citizens, but with travelling in the country strongly discouraged and travelling to a neighbouring country like Belgium isn't allowed for holidays, many people have to come to terms with spending another vacation at home.
Travelling to Greece currently has an "orange advice" from the dutch government, meaning only travel when necessary and on return 10 days in quarantine at home.

so yes, in that light the RF going to Greece is not a good sign and certainly not being a rolemodel to the people like the RF is supposed to be

Lets hope they avoid giving any speeches re coronavirus and working together to defeat it in the near future. If not, I think the audience might feel they were hypocrites.

But those people are not the King and Queen, and it seems that those people are not following the rules established by the government.

The Monarch must set a good example for the people, some will follow that example, while others won't, but it will show that the Monarchy is aware of the current situation and is willing to comply with the government rules to combat the pandemic. However, their lack of awareness and sensibility will probably give most people the feeling of "if they can do it, I can do it too". This is a dangerous thought given the horrible times we are currently living in. Therefore, the Monarchy needs to give a sense of responsability and empathy in dealing with the current times.

Last edited:
But those people are not the King and Queen, and it seems that those people are not following the rules established by the government.

The Monarch must set a good example for the people, some will follow that example, while others won't, but it will show that the Monarchy is aware of the current situation and is willing to comply with the government rules to combat the pandemic. However, their lack of awareness and sensibility will probably give most people the feeling of "if they can do it, I can do it too". This is a dangerous thought given the horrible times we are currently living in. Therefore, the Monarchy needs to give a sense of responsability and empathy in dealing with the current times.

If the changes in the rules happened only recently, Im sure that there are other people who had holidays booked that they could not cancel.. and so possibly they have gone ahead with them.... Having said that I doubt if the King and Queen are really bothered per se, its just that they have been criticized and feel that they have to make some gesture or they will look bad....

https://translate.google.com/transl...geen-sorry-maar-wijst-opnieuw-naar-media.html

royalty expert from dutch media nu.nl (would rank this is a mainstream media outlet, not overly royalist or republican) agrees with several posters here that the king doesn't apologize but points to the media (like when they were spotted without a facial mask close to ther people a while ago).

imo this is basically what it looks like:
"it is therefore surprising to Evers that apparently no one has warned the king about the negative image that may arise.*"It seems that no one is allowed to say anything about the holiday of the House of Orange and that it is sacred. He has three wise adolescent daughters who could have been his best adviser in it: they see that their friends are not going on a holiday"

the current dutch king and queen don't often get critique, but this is one that regularly returns

If the changes in the rules happened only recently, Im sure that there are other people who had holidays booked that they could not cancel.. and so possibly they have gone ahead with them.... Having said that I doubt if the King and Queen are really bothered per se, its just that they have been criticized and feel that they have to make some gesture or they will look bad....

most ordinary people already realized that holidays away from home would be in jeopardy and haven't booked like they would normally do

that said, i hardly think that applies to king and queen, their holiday to greece is hardly a package holiday deal that they can't get out of :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
You're right. Some people cannot cancel their booked holidays due to several circumstances. It seems we are living in a time where booking trips in advance is tricky. Things change every week and every day. I know many people cannot afford to do this, but the best way is to book things at the last minute.

Since the King and Queen have a private jet and own a villa in Greece, they never book things in advance, they just decide to go and that's it. That's the real problem. They probably decided to go right when the government changed the rules recently.

Travel agencies reported cancellations... or decided to cancel all reservations themselves! So people do change their plans because of the much stricter regulations that came into place on Wednesday. Other hotels / holiday homes (especially those in the coastal zone) report more bookings as people heeded the government's strong advise not to go abroad but remain in the Netherlands (and limit outings).

https://translate.google.com/transl...geen-sorry-maar-wijst-opnieuw-naar-media.html

royalty expert from dutch media nu.nl (would rank this is a mainstream media outlet, not overly royalist or republican) agrees with several posters here that the king doesn't apologize but points to the media (like when they were spotted without a facial mask close to ther people a while ago).

imo this is basically what it looks like:
"it is therefore surprising to Evers that apparently no one has warned the king about the negative image that may arise.*"It seems that no one is allowed to say anything about the holiday of the House of Orange and that it is sacred. He has three wise adolescent daughters who could have been his best adviser in it: they see that their friends are not going on a holiday"

the current dutch king and queen don't often get critique, but this is one that regularly returns
I also was wondering whether one of the princesses didn't raise this issue at home. You would hope they are a little more in touch with the real world (although many of their classmates come from relatively affluent homes who might have made similar decisions) - but on the other hand, many teenagers don't bother too much. Or, maybe it was discussed, but the king and queen still decided to go ahead; as they would be quite 'safe' in their own home in Greece.

Since the King and Queen have a private jet and own a villa in Greece, they never book things in advance, they just decide to go and that's it. That's the real problem. They probably decided to go right when the government changed the rules recently.
I would sincerely hope they don't consider/treat the government plane as their private jet although it looks like they do...

They might have thought that going to Greece was the 'safe' option compared to going to an unknown place in these times - but in doing so, showed to be very out of touch with the Dutch population in general. And as others, including the media, pointed out, it's not the first time their holidays get them into trouble. It seems to be their main source of creating discontent among the population (the other would be their income/finances imho).

Last edited by a moderator:
I would sincerely hope they don't consider/treat the government plane as their private jet although it looks like they do...
It certainly does right? Even the PM didn't know they were going to Greece. I thought Monarchs had to "cooperate" with PMs, not in a political sense, but in a general sense of discussing what is happening in the country. I though WA had to inform the PM of their activities, including holidays.

Maybe WA and Maxima wanted a different approach to have more freedom? I don't know what are the agreements between the two parties, but it really does seem as if WA doesn't care about what the PM says. To me, and maybe to others, it seems WA wants to live the life he wants without having anybody tell him something. This gives a bad image, as it seems he "abuses" of his power as Monarch.

Last edited:
It certainly does right? Even the PM didn't know they were going to Greece. I thought Monarchs had to "cooperate" with PMs, not in a political sense, but in a general sense of discussing what is happening in the country. I though WA had to inform the PM of their activities, including holidays.

Maybe WA and Maxima wanted a different approach to have more freedom? I don't know what are the agreements between the two parties, but it really does seem as if WA doesn't care about what the PM says. To me, and maybe to others, it seems WA wants to live the life he wants without having anybody tell him something. This gives a bad image, as it seems he "abuses" of his power as Monarch.

According to the Rijksvoorlichtingsdienst, PM Rutte *did* know about this trip...
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.nos.nl/artikel/2352625-koning-breekt-vakantie-naar-griekenland-af-na-ophef-rutte-wist-van-reis.html

The King (and his wife/family) start to come across as spoiled at times.
They have an example to set, it's about the image it gives. Have W-A and Máxima ever apologized, without pointing to/blaming the media? Quite an easy cop-out, he could have known this beforehand and the label "private" doesn't mean he can do anything he wants without consequences.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom