Heir Apparent

Video:

Old 10-21-2020, 11:22 AM
Courtier

A little history, how about that!

Old 10-21-2020, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I agree Their Majesties have apologized and time to move on from this sorry episode.
Old 10-21-2020, 01:47 PM
Aristocracy

"I will not do it again" ... that's what Juan Carlos I. William and Maxima said, it is not the first time that they are wrong, far from it, but the press always "covers" them, unlike other royal houses. ( That is not a topic to discuss now)
They don't seem sincere to me; William is reading something that has been prepared for him and Máxima has no face of regret.

Maxima and Guillermo have given the feeling of being pampered and pampered, as well as their daughters. Meanwhile, this weekend, a 14-year-old teenage princess, Leonor, asked the boys of her age for "responsibility", two other teenagers did what they wanted without caring about the scandal it could cause.
It's clear who is being raised to be queen and who is being raised as a spoiled child without empathy.
Old 10-21-2020, 02:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Their names are Willem-Alexander (not William nor Guillermo) (short: Alexander) and Máxima.

It's wonderful that you like Leonor (please don't put her on a pedestal - that isn't good for anyone) but what has Catharina-Amalia (short: Amalia) done wrong? How is she not being prepared to be queen? And what is your basis for declaring that she is (raised as) a spoiled child without empathy? I hope you have evidence for these harsh claims against a 16-year old.
Old 10-21-2020, 02:45 PM
Courtier

It seems the whole world is getting crazy. One agency tells one do that the other no you can't. Wear a mask and stay two meters apart, this should work, not closing up the whole economy. No one thinks of the people, children older people the isolation of family and friends is more dangerous then anything else. The abuse of children and spouses, suicide's and god knows what. I am all for following the rules but it really is getting out of hands, but it must make sense. I had this virus over Eastern it was everything but fun, it took me weeks to be myself again. I wear the mask, it is difficult for me because I have Asthma, so having this piece of cloth over my mouth and nose, is a bit difficult to breath. The First Responders the people working in Stores, to but things on the shelves so one can buy them and feed ones family, everyone else who is doing their job with risk to them selfe's , it seems no one ask if they are OK. Rules and Regulations are good, but they need to make sense.
Old 10-21-2020, 03:11 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelarn View Post
"I will not do it again" ... that's what Juan Carlos I. William and Maxima said, it is not the first time that they are wrong, far from it, but the press always "covers" them, unlike other royal houses. ( That is not a topic to discuss now)
They don't seem sincere to me; William is reading something that has been prepared for him and Máxima has no face of regret.

Maxima and Guillermo have given the feeling of being pampered and pampered, as well as their daughters. Meanwhile, this weekend, a 14-year-old teenage princess, Leonor, asked the boys of her age for "responsibility", two other teenagers did what they wanted without caring about the scandal it could cause.
It's clear who is being raised to be queen and who is being raised as a spoiled child without empathy.

You might well be right in your assessment in the first paragraph, they had to do something to calm the public outcry, sincere or not.

As much as I believe that WA's message was put together by his PR people, I have not a second of doubt that 14 year old Leonor has exactly been reading what she was told to read, and that is certainly not put together by herself.
Old 10-21-2020, 03:22 PM
Royal Highness

I initially thought the couple should have apologized right away but WA and Maxima’s statement sounds sincere and like they’ve actually taken some time to reflect. Hopefully it’s an expression of how they actually feel and they won’t make a similar error in the future. I think the statement will go a long way toward putting this episode behind them, instead of having it drag on.

I’m not sure why the characters of their children were brought up here - presumably the three girls weren’t the ones making the decisions about the vacation - but I actually think the couple is providing a good example to their daughters with their apology. It shows them that adults can make mistakes but that they can also be upfront about acknowledging them. And that there’s more dignity in facing a situation head on than in trying to pretend it didn’t happen and carrying on with business as usual.
Old 10-21-2020, 03:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Leonor seems to be the heir of his generation that is being better prepared. Catharina-Amália is the heiress of her generation that least appears and never made a speech (unlike Leonor or Elisabeth or even Ingrid Alexandra).
Old 10-21-2020, 04:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
Leonor seems to be the heir of his generation that is being better prepared. Catharina-Amália is the heiress of her generation that least appears and never made a speech (unlike Leonor or Elisabeth or even Ingrid Alexandra).
Answered in a different thread to avoid this thread turning into a comparison between various heirs.
Old 10-21-2020, 04:53 PM
Nobility

It's a mess and it shows or suggests very poor judgement on Willem-Alexander's part. I see that Maxima was with him in the "personal video" as if she is to take some of the heat.
Old 10-21-2020, 05:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan D View Post
It's a mess and it shows or suggests very poor judgement on Willem-Alexander's part. I see that Maxima was with him in the "personal video" as if she is to take some of the heat.
I'm sure they made the decisions to go and to return together, so it only makes sense that both of them appear. However, it must be rather awkward to just sit next to your husband nodding while he is taping an apology with both of you in full view.
Old 10-21-2020, 05:39 PM
Heir Apparent

And it pays to have your strongest player on the team even if they are just sitting there. I have always been led to believe Maxima is more popular so having her there probably helps out plus wanting to work as a team.

I'm glad they have apologised and hope they remember this in the future about how to handle any similar situations.
Old 10-21-2020, 06:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

That is not an apology.
They don't even seem sincere.

They could have simply said " We are very sorry for our actions and the poor lack of judgment we showed."

Instead they gave this long winded statement that is very detached and downright haughty. I can't believe they even gone as far as playing the victim with the statement "It hurts us"..

Who is advising this couple?
Old 10-21-2020, 06:22 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
Yet, Amalia is the only one out of the above mentioned who will soon get a ridiculously generous state allowance.
Old 10-21-2020, 08:05 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Yet, Amalia is the only one out of the above mentioned who will soon get a ridiculously generous state allowance.
Hopefully she’ll take note of how not to do things!
Old 10-22-2020, 02:35 PM
Majesty

I understood that it wasn't possible to get tickets for the girls so they stayed.. so it is harldy their fault or even their parents fault, that they stayed another few days.
Old 10-22-2020, 02:53 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I understood that it wasn't possible to get tickets for the girls so they stayed.. so it is harldy their fault or even their parents fault, that they stayed another few days.
I think people are perhaps a little suspicious that they couldn’t get a seat on the following 11 flights especially since air travel is not as busy at the moment. Anyway they’ve apologised (or non apologised depending on your view) probably not had the best week of their lives and provided some early on the job training for Amalia. I think they are probably looking forward to getting back to work and their next visits so this can be put to bed.
Old 10-22-2020, 02:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

I thought Amalia was still 16 years old. Not 17 years old. Isn't her birthday in December? It's only two months away, but a 16 years old is not a 17 years old.

For me, they apologized kinda. They seem to regret their decision to go. Sincere or not, they will be careful in the future so that they won't repeat the same mistake.

As to other incidents in the past with other royals and even WA. Well, some were far serious than this trip incident. However, the pandemic brought sadness all over the world. People are sensitive, sad, depressed and revolted, which means that, even if it was "just" a trip abroad, it is considered a serious issue in the times we are living in, especially for a King who is supposed to set an example for the people.
Old 10-22-2020, 02:59 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katymcwaity View Post
I think people are perhaps a little suspicious that they couldn’t get a seat on the following 11 flights especially since air travel is not as busy at the moment. Anyway they’ve apologised (or non apologised depending on your view) probably not had the best week of their lives and provided some early on the job training for Amalia. I think they are probably looking forward to getting back to work and their next visits so this can be put to bed.
I dont think the apology by Maxima and Willem is that sincere but I don't see any reason to blame the kids. They are only kids, I don't know of any reason to say that they were refusing to come home.. unless there's some real proof that that is the case.