Willem-Alexander, Máxima and Family, General News 4: Sep 2020- Aug 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it known that Amalia is fluent in Spanish? I recall years ago when Amalia was a little tyke (now I feel old) her mother told the press that they had a Spanish speaking nanny and that Amalia sometimes called her shoes "zapatos" . However, I don't recall anything about fluency. Has she been recorded speaking the language fluently?

Let's hope so, but taking your mother along to such a handsome tall Spaniard probably would do much to ruin the date though ;). It must be the very last person you want there in such a situation.

Not necessarily. Sometimes when we women are love we have our heads in the clouds and can only see the significant other through rose-colored glasses. Having someone there who is objective is beneficial as they can spot potential problems and pinpoint red flags. Also who else better knows the kind of partner that Amalia needs than her mother?

Hola suggests that they might be shopping for her first official Caribbean trip. That makes sense to me as given the thread level that would be quite complicated in the Netherlands. And, the Spanish shops will have more appropriate clothing for the temperatures in the Caribbean than the Dutch shops. She might also include some high couture but I do expect to see quite some main street shop clothing as well (both are available in Madrid).

I hope the queen and Princess of Orange had a nice Winter trip to Madrid!

Both Queen Máxima and Princess Amalia are fluent in Spanish and I can imagine that Madrid is for them, what London is for Queen Margrethe or Princess Beatrix.

I hope that Princess Amalia feels well. She has had a rocky year with threats against her by the "Mocro Mafia". As I am a stickler to a healthy lifestyle, her appearance, I do not know. King Harald V and King Willem-Alexander are the most voluminous royals, but at the age of his daughter he was quite athletic ( picture of WA in 1986 - 19 years old).

To my eye she looks not too happy and self-assured and I hope all is well with Princess Amalia - hopefully she has guidance and counsel.

I agree that Amalia doesn't look as self-assured as before. It could just be the picture in which she seems to notice a photographer and is annoyed by that - but as Máxima stated before: this time in which she is under very strict security measures which completely changed her student life is hard on her.

Is it known that Amalia is fluent in Spanish? I recall years ago when Amalia was a little tyke (now I feel old) her mother told the press that they had a Spanish speaking nanny and that Amalia sometimes called her shoes "zapatos" . However, I don't recall anything about fluency. Has she been recorded speaking the language fluently?
Yes, the three princesses grew up bilingual (or trilingual) - their mother spoke (speaks?) Spanish with them and conversations between them in Spanish have been recordered on video. They are fluent in Dutch, Spanish and English and probably also fluent -or close to- in German.

Taminiau lives part time in Madrid with his partner Juan Várez, and has a workshop and store in the city. But he often travels to the Netherlands where he has his shop and workshop, so it wouldn't be necessary for them to travel.

I am not familiar with his agenda. But indeed it should be possible. Let's hope that he will have delivered some clothes for the Caribean trip as it means we will see less Natan. Though I imagine we will see a lot of recycled clothes, the Queen was not seen in a lot of new outfits these last years.

January usually is a quiet month at the University of Amsterdam IIRC from my own days there. The month was mostly used by those who need to re-take exams and it is a busy time for those who were writing their bachelor- or master thesis. I am not even sure if we had classes, I don't think we did. So I assume HRH did not need to use the weekend to study, unless she failed her exams in December.

I hope they enjoyed their weekend city-trip, as many of their countrymen do on a regular basis.

Last edited:
I agree that Amalia doesn't look as self-assured as before. It could just be the picture in which she seems to notice a photographer and is annoyed by that - but as Máxima stated before: this time in which she is under very strict security measures which completely changed her student life is hard on her.
I still don't understand why it is so important that Amalia will attend a Dutch university and not study abroad at some elite university that is used to cope with security of famous students and life a quiet student life there.

Regarding the photographers, both women do not exactly blend into the crowd with their outfits.

How strange to take your dog to a shopping trip abroad.

What message does it convey if A Dutch university is not good enough to train the heiress to the Dutch throne while they are good enough for the children of everybody else?

Considering what has been going on it may be what will happen after she finishes her propedeuse this year of course, but it is IMHO highly undesirable that the main part of the university education will be taking place abroad. In the case of Belgium I can understand why the choice was made, to navigate around the language issue (would Elsiabeth be attending a Dutch or a French speaking university?) but in the Dutch case it would be a humiliation of our own education system.

Last edited:
What message does it convey if A Dutch university is not good enough to train the heiress to the Dutch throne while they are good enough for the children of everybody else?

Considering what has been going on it may be what will happen after she finishes her propedeuse this year of course, but it is IMHO highly undesirable that the main part of the university education will be taking place abroad. In the case of Belgium I can understand why the choice was made, to navigate around the language issue (would Elsiabeth be attending a Dutch or a French speaking university?) but in the Dutch case it would be a humiliation of our own education system.

Thanks Marengo, interesting, I never looked at it this way. So hopefully Amalia can at least do her masters abroad at a university that offers more privacy than NL.

I still don't understand why it is so important that Amalia will attend a Dutch university and not study abroad at some elite university that is used to cope with security of famous students and life a quiet student life there.

Regarding the photographers, both women do not exactly blend into the crowd with their outfits.

How strange to take your dog to a shopping trip abroad.

Our Universities ARE excellent...an elite university alone gets nobody wiser then they will ever be...
We have superior education compared with many foreign countries,so,so your remark is off.

And here we are dealing with a gang of sorts,the mocro mafia,not lone twits,,,so,so it is far more difficult to protect her properly when living in Amsterdam......The Mocro Mafia,is capable of anything...and our too weak judicial and forces are left watching it all,more or less...Not daring a clamp down.I would sent in the Marines and Green barets to round up all involved or related and take m to a safe place with plenty of space.

I would take my cat along shopping if I so wish....really...

Madrid is Madrid,used to some extravaganza...not a s frumpy as some wateringhole in the country...
lovely as they can be,and I for one,love it and go to peace and quet as often as possible,but for a
real good shopping spree...all hands on deck and go!..When you got,flaunt it,who cares!

Last edited:
I am not sure where this question should be placed, so feel free to delete or move as necessary.

King Willem-Alexander no longer wears Military uniforms, why? I remember seeing a previous post that he no longer wears one but never saw an explanation as to why.

I am not sure where this question should be placed, so feel free to delete or move as necessary.

King Willem-Alexander no longer wears Military uniforms, why? I remember seeing a previous post that he no longer wears one but never saw an explanation as to why.

The King still wears military uniforms when visiting the military: see this picture last week: picture.

The Constitution says that the Government holds the supreme command over the armed forces. The King is an integral member of the Government: "The Government comprises of the King and the ministers". It is not allowed to be an active military and have a seat in Government: otherwise one would command him- or herself...

That is why the King always presents himself in civil wear unless the event is a military one: picture (350 years Royal Netherlands Marine Corps). Another example: picture (ceremonial parade by the Royal Netherlands Army in honour of the King).

When the Prince of Orange became King, and so became a member of Government, he ceased to attend Prinsjesdag (the annual Address from the Throne) in military uniform. It is a pity because it looks very good on him: picture.

For an example, at the Remembrance ceremony, the members of the British royal family with a military commission wore uniforms. The King however considered Remembrance Sunday a civil event and came in civil wear alike Queen Elizabeth II: picture.

Last edited:
The King still wears military uniforms when visiting the military: see this picture last week: picture.

The Constitution says that the Government holds the supreme command over the armed forces. The King is an integral member of the Government: "The Government comprises of the King and the ministers". It is not allowed to be an active military and have a seat in Government: otherwise one would command him- or herself...

That is why the King always presents himself in civil wear unless the event is a military one: picture (350 years Royal Netherlands Marine Corps). Another example: picture (ceremonial parade by the Royal Netherlands Army in honour of the King).

When the Prince of Orange became King, and so became a member of Government, he ceased to attend Prinsjesdag (the annual Address from the Throne) in military uniform. It is a pity because it looks very good on him: picture.
Thank you so much for answering my question :flowers:

It looks like he is on oxygen. Hope all is well with him (i.e., Erwin Olaf).

By accident in the Princess of Orange thread, now in the correct thread:

In the so called East-Indies' Salon of Noordeinde Palace (picture) the King received the photographer and designer Erwin Olaf. It had pleased His Majesty to confer the Honorary Medal for the Arts and the Sciences in the Order of the House of Orange to this renowned artist.

Picture

The Honorary Medalists in the Order of the House of Orange have a close bond to the Royal House. Erwin Olaf has made State Portraits, also the Euro coins with the effigy of the King and postal stamps.

State Portrait of Queen Máxima: picture

Coin with the King: picture

Very nice that the king is using this room, which we do not see all that often.

Those Eremedailles in de Huisorde van Oranje are no State Orders but solely in the King's own discretion and are ordered by the Royal House.

Here an example of the same Honorary Medal for the Arts and Sciences, in a female form, once bestowed on the author Hella S. Haase. The medal was made by gold- and silversmith Royal Begeer, so to see:

Picture

At one side the effigy of Queen Wilhelmina (founder of these Medals) and at the other side the Arms of Orange and (in Dutch) "For the Arts and the Sciences". There is another Honorary Medal in the House Order of Orange: for "For Diligence and Ingenuity". It is a similar medal but then to honour other merits.

Last edited:
Very nice that the king is using this room, which we do not see all that often.

I've never actually seen that room used before or else I've forgotten.

Jan Hoedeman, journalist for the Algemeen Dagblad, has written a book called 'De achilleshiel van de Koning' (The Achilles heel of the King). In the book he discusses some of the recent issues around the King (Greek visit etc). The book is critical of the advisors of the King and of the prime minister, who fail to point out the boundaries of the private and the public.

The Greek trip meant that the advisors either have too little influence or they do not see things clearly. Either way it is not good. Prof. J. van den Berg, a former advisor of Queen Beatrix, labels the role of the present prime minister 'sloppy'.

Former D66 leader Alexander Pechtold claims that the King could benifit from having a few advisors who are a bit more contrarian.

https://www.ad.nl/show/zwaktepunt-v...ectief-falen-van-rutte-en-adviseurs~a3253e4d/

Not so much contrarian,but more what we call Boerenverstand...No pun intended for the BBB,one of todays hypes and tomorrows disappointments...

But as for the King,he is an OK man,and open to common sense.

Jan Hoedeman, journalist for the Algemeen Dagblad, has written a book called 'De achilleshiel van de Koning' (The Achilles heel of the King). In the book he discusses some of the recent issues around the King (Greek visit etc). The book is critical of the advisors of the King and of the prime minister, who fail to point out the boundaries of the private and the public.

The Greek trip meant that the advisors either have too little influence or they do not see things clearly. Either way it is not good. Prof. J. van den Berg, a former advisor of Queen Beatrix, labels the role of the present prime minister 'sloppy'.

Former D66 leader Alexander Pechtold claims that the King could benifit from having a few advisors who are a bit more contrarian.

https://www.ad.nl/show/zwaktepunt-v...ectief-falen-van-rutte-en-adviseurs~a3253e4d/
Dragging up the ill advised Greek visit is not good news!

When they have nothing more than such an old cow in the moat, like a ill-planned Greek holiday during Corona, the King is doing very well.

Well, those of us who dismissed publicity about the Greek vacation in 2021 as a storm in a teacup and thought it would all be forgotten in a day, may not have expected that it would still be mentioned two years later, and no doubt impacted the way the general public thinks about the king and queen..

Oh. Greek visit or no Greek visit: since WWII the general trend for support for a hereditary monarchy as a form of State is downward, no matter it is under Juliana, under Beatrix, under Willem-Alexander. Most likely this year, around King's Day, we will see for the first time the annual poll finally dive under the 50% of support.

Note that also politicians themselves, or the media, or once respected institutions like banks, religious denominations, the EU, score all-time lows in trust, in respect, in prestige.

These days former minister and former political leader of D66 (progressive liberals) openly called for an orderly and prudent end of the monarchy after Willem-Alexander. No revolutions, nothing, Just agree with each other that after Willem-Alexander the system of a hereditary monarchy ends and is replaced by an elected head of state.

To see the reactions in media, that idea has fallen in fertile soil. On itself it is no bad idea. Make an agreement with the royal family regarding historic properties, in financial compensation and end in all dignity. Maybe that is preferable above witnessing a painful decline towards under 40% or 30%.

Note that with every new generation, alike the generation after generation before them, the support only shrinks. When polled under the age of Fifty only, there is already by far no support anymore for the idea of a hereditary monarchy as the best form of State for the Netherlands. It is exactly like what we see every Sunday (once a nationwide day of rest): empty churches with only a handful grey-haired worshippers. It all fits in a general trend of individualization, in loss of community, which also has to do with globalization and the divide of society into social bubbles no longer sharing a common interest.

On itself that pragmatic idea just to agree, with all parties and with all gratitude due, to end the system of a hereditary monarchy as a form of State, is not an absurdism. Better a well-organised exit than loosing all initiative and hanging on a thinner and ever thinner silk rope.

Last edited:
King Willem-Alexander, Queen Máxima and the girls seem to be on a short vacation and visited the Italian island Panarea (the girls are mentioned in the article):

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** notiziarioeolie.it article **

What does it say about the princesses because I didn't see their names. If they are joining their parents, it most likely is just for a weekend because Ariane will still have school Monday - Friday (and Amalia most likely as well although attending university courses, her schedule seems a bit more flexible). Ariane's school holidays start on July 8. Only Alexia finished this year's school year.

:previous:

This is the article part that mentions them:

Willem Alexander of Holland landed in Panarea with his wife Máxima and three daughters. They arrived aboard the "Marala" one of the oldest mega yachts in the world which also hosted Franck Sinatra and Salvatore Dalì.

It's time to close this thread. You can find the new one here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom