Willem-Alexander, Máxima and Family, General News Part 3 (May 2017-Aug 2020)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
The Christmas break was week 52 and week 1. A holiday in Argentina is not so strange. Máxima's mother and the princesses' grandmother, who recently lost her husband and her youngest daughter, lives there. The article mentions 22 December, which was in the school break indeed:

https://www.google.nl/amp/www.diari...a-se-encontraron-en-villa-la-angostura?espv=1

Of course a holiday in Argentina is perfectly normal (they go to Argentina every other year for Christmas) but should take place during school breaks. Máxima's mother is not limited to school breaks, so if the family couldn't travel to Argentina during the school break because of their move, she could have come over to the Netherlands.

The article does actually mention that the dinner took placd on Wednesday (so Januaey 9) at the end of the president's holidays which started on December 22. So, the princesses -if indeed present- will most likely have missed a full week of school.

Last edited:
Just saw the weekly royalty program "Blauw Bloed" and the attendance of the princesses was not confirmed. They mentioned their school too. Only the royal couple was more or less confirmed as guests of President and Mrs Macri "according Argentine media".

Last edited:
Hmm, a public outcry in this case is justified imo.
And it's not the first time that they do so although the last time they took their daughters out of school outside of school breaks (without a justified reason) was many years ago.

Many would consider visiting a widowed grandmother (who lives half a world away and who has endured the death of both her husband and her daughter within the last year)...a justified reason.

It’s hard to imagine a huge public outcry over this. Sometimes you have to do what’s right for your family regardless of what others think or say.

And apparently permission may be granted once per school year for exceptional circumstances. This would seem to qualify.

Last edited:
Many would consider visiting a widowed grandmother (who lives half a world away and who has endured the death of both her husband and her daughter within the last year)...a justified reason.

It’s hard to imagine a huge public outcry over this. Sometimes you have to do what’s right for your family regardless of what others think or say.

And apparently permission may be granted once per school year for exceptional circumstances. This would seem to qualify.
From my view, it's pretty simple. It is against the law to not attend school when of a certain age. And no, according to the Dutch law (leerplichtwet) this case is not within the 'circumstances' that would qualify for an exception regarding to 'going on holiday outside of school breaks'. They are especially strict regarding the days before or after school breaks to make sure parents don't extend holidays (which mainly used to happen to avoid the traffic). The only qualifying reason would be if they were not able to go on holiday any other time of the year because their parents would be working all school breaks. That is clearly not the case. They go on holiday extensively throughout the year. Most likely they will be on ski holiday next month, so they could have used that week to go to Argentina instead.

The second reason is 'special occasion' this has been interpreted to refer to family occasions such as weddings and funerals (for which they indeed were given days off) when their grandfather passed away and last year when their aunt had died. Visiting your grandmother in the new year cannot be considered a 'special occasion'.

They had 2 weeks holiday break, so should have used that time to visit their grandmother if that was their priority (which I would fully understand). If other reasons (such as a move) prevented that, their grandmother could easily have come over to the Netherlands to visit them as she has done many times in the past.

So, IF (and it seems that although Argentinian media report it, it is still up in the air) the princesses missed a week of school that would be against the law. I assume the king and queen did discuss it with the schools' directors - in which case the directors of the two schools would have granted permission but unjustifiable. We'll have to see whether the municipal attendance officers will look into this issue (seems unlikely given that it pertains to the king and queen).

I might sound harsh but my stance is that the Dutch royal family should be held to the exact same standards as other Dutch families with children of school age. In the past they have taken liberty with these rules mostly when the girls were much younger (but old enough that this law would apply to them; which is from the month starting after their 5th birthday, although almost all children start school at 4).

Last edited:
:previous:

But it still not clear if the princesses were in Argentina, last week. No any Dutch royal correspondent has confirmed it. Not Marc van der Linden from Royalty Online, not Justine Marcella from Vorsten Royale, not Jeroen Snel from Blauw Bloed, not Piet van Asseldonk from NOS.nl, not Peter van de Vorst from RTL, not Evert Santegoeds from SBS, also not in their Twitter feeds.

Last edited:
The royals can be in Dubai today, in Montreal tomorrow and in Tokyo the day after. What is a trip from Maastricht to Amsterdam for us, that is a trip from The Hague to Athens for them.

Whether the three princesses were in Argentina or not, I am sure the parents have carefully checked everything with the schools. A public outcry about assumed privileged holidays for the princesses is the last thing they want.

Indeed!And a public outcry??Oh really?The only "public outcry"would be here on this forum by some.But no worries,they were in school and this weekend and start of the coming week they all unpack boxes and what not as they've moved into Huis ten Bosch Palace only now.Gracias.

Btw,never believe Argentinian "press"just rags even worse then the Brits,nada mas.

Last edited:
And just what might the penalty be for disobeying these standards? (I have read that there are fines assessed on UK families under similar circumstances, and these can be substantial.)

And I think the term is “justified reason” rather than “exceptional circumstances”, although the terms are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

Last edited:
And just what might the penalty be for disobeying these standards? (I have read that there are fines assessed on UK families under similar circumstances, and these can be substantial.)

And I think the term is “justified reason” rather than “exceptional circumstances”, although the terms are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

Read my post above please.The girls were in school.

And yes,the fines are / can be considerable,100 euro (- at least- ) per child per day.

Read my post above please.The girls were in school.

And yes,the fines are / can be considerable,100 euro (- at least- ) per child per day.

Thanks; I assumed that the Princesses were in compliance one way or another!

Indeed!And a public outcry??Oh really?The only "public outcry"would be here on this forum by some.But no worries,they were in school and this weekend and start of the coming week they all unpack boxes and what not as they've moved into Huis ten Bosch Palace only now.Gracias.

Btw,never believe Argentinian "press"just rags even worse then the Brits,nada mas.

You saying so doesn't make it true. Nonetheless, I hope that they indeed were in school. Yet, something different was suggested and if true (which is not completely out of character) that would have been a clear case of class justice - as it was in the past when the princesses were taken out of school to attend the Olympics in Vancouver or to go on ski holiday for more than 1 week.

Isn't social media wonderful? I see that somebody posted a death threat to Pauline Krikke (mayor of The Hague, smiling lady behind the couple) on the instagram post of the royal house.

Last edited:
:previous: And it's still there.

Odd, don't they moderate the comments? This one is by any normal standard pretty unacceptable!

Interesting to hear of the move.
I hope the comment will be deleted soon. I'm surprised they don't have some sort of bot that moderates such violent and unnecessary comments.

:previous: And it's still there.

Odd, don't they moderate the comments? This one is by any normal standard pretty unacceptable!

It seems to be removed now. Also gone is a comment about how 65 million euros for a house is a bit much.

I never knew that you could remove comments on instagram and for years I wondered why the comments were always only positive. But now I know, finally :D .

:previous: Magic. :D
What do you think royals use this for? :sceptre:

Last edited:
It seems to be removed now. Also gone is a comment about how 65 million euros for a house is a bit much.

I never knew that you could remove comments on instagram and for years I wondered why the comments were always only positive. But now I know, finally :D .

The comment about the 65 million Euro (which is indeed an absurd amount for updating a relatively small palace) indeed does not belong to the Instagram of the Royal House: the King has zero say in the decision of the state to splash so much money on it, that they could easily have build a new palace for that...

Is this visit to sign something everybody has to do when they move or it is something unique to the royals? I thought I read somewhere that when Beatrix moved into the Palace upon becoming Queen there was a much bigger ceremony?

Queen Beatrix made The Hague the residence of the Sovereign again. This was marked with a Joyeuse Entrée. Between 1945 and 1948 Queen Wilhelmina resided at Het Loo Palace in the East of the Netherlands because of war damage to Huis ten Bosch and fire damage to Noordeinde Palace.

Between 1948 and 1980 Soestdijk Palace in the province of Utrecht was the heart of the monarchy, under Queen Juliana. So when Queen Beatrix returned to Huis ten Bosch and to Noordeinde, The Hague finally had the Queen back in town, after decades with "empty" palaces.

The Hague was the royal residence from the first day of the current King's reign. Noordeinde Palace is the heart of the monarchy. So in that sense the move from the King's villa in Wassenaar to Huis ten Bosch in The Hague has not that impact. No big fuss, just the required registration at the municipal registry.

Last edited:
tommy100 said:
Is this visit to sign something everybody has to do when they move or it is something unique to the royals? I thought I read somewhere that when Beatrix moved into the Palace upon becoming Queen there was a much bigger ceremony?

Everybody has to register in the city where they live. These days that can also be done online but the king and queen preferred to do it in person.

When Beatrix moved to The Hague in 1980. The official entry was on May 21st; there was a carriage ride through the city, which started at Lange Voorhout Palace:

https://www.anp-archief.nl/page/88801/beatrix-claus-den-haag-intocht

The cortege went passed the old city hall on the Groenmarkt, where they visited the exhibition "Dag Koningin". In Scheveningen they visited the Old Church, after which the group went to the Circus Theatre. After this they went back to Palace Lange Voorhout. It was followed by an early dinner at the city hall with members of the city council (one member for LAbour and one for the PPS refused to join). Later in the evening they went to the Congresgebouw where they met 2000 people from all layers of society. At 23:30 the day ended with fireworks.

All newspapers claimed that there were a lot of people on the streets to welcome the royal family. It was only a few weeks after she was inaugurated in Amsterdam.

Last edited:
(I am not so sure where to post this, so please feel free to move this to a more appropriate thread).

Angela Merkel recently gave one of her rare long interviews. She spoke (besides other things) about feminism. And I thought it was interesting that Maxima seems to have made an impression on her and her view of feminism:

At the G-20 Women's Summit, Queen Máxima of the Netherlands found a definition of feminism that I can endorse: For her, it's feminism if I am in favor of men and women having the same life opportunities.

“Queen Maxima - accused of tax evasion for her properties in Argentina - let us know by her spokesperson: "Queen Máxima respects Argentina's laws and rules. This is also what has been declared to us by local authorities in Argentina."

I don’t know if this is being discussed somewhere else so feel free to move it.

Apparently the story originates with an Argentinian investigative website:

https://www.elcohetealaluna.com/evasion-real/

They claim that she owns three plots of land in Rio Negro. The buildings on this land are -according to them- not registered with the provincial authorities. They claim that this is a way for her to avoid taxes.

The RVD denies the allegations and says that the queen respects the local tax laws and regulations. This was also confirmed to the RVD by local authorities.

https://nos.nl/artikel/2269834-rvd-maxima-houdt-zich-aan-regels-van-argentijnse-fiscus.html

Hans Jacobs of the excellent Royalblog notes that the website is very obscure and offers no proof. Its main raison d'etre seems to be to tarnish the repustation of president Macri. The accusations towards Maxima were part of a larger article in which the president was accused of tax favors for his friends. A wrong translation into Dutch made the problem seem much larger than it was, but it was nontheless repeated by several news outlets and politicians.

The website is owned by Horacio Verbitsky, a great supporter of the previous president Christina Kirchner. The former president is facing charges of corruption and apparently Mr. Verbitsky is trying to distract from that. Considering the friendship of the King & Queen with president Macri and his wife is rather evident -they spent Christmas together- it is not a great mystery why he would be focusing on the Queen to hit the president.

The author warns that considering the great ideological differences in Argentinian politics the Queen's activities there -even when they are private- can become part of a political game, as seems to be the case here.

https://gpdhome.typepad.com/nieuwsb...nië-kunnen-onderdeel-worden-van-politiek.html

Last edited:
Yet another bogus story by pulp from what is called Argentinian press..Next!

Apparently the story originates with an Argentinian investigative website:

https://www.elcohetealaluna.com/evasion-real/

They claim that she owns three plots of land in Rio Negro. The buildings on this land are -according to them- not registered with the provincial authorities. They claim that this is a way for her to avoid taxes.

The RVD denies the allegations and says that the queen respects the local tax laws and regulations. This was also confirmed to the RVD by local authorities.

https://nos.nl/artikel/2269834-rvd-maxima-houdt-zich-aan-regels-van-argentijnse-fiscus.html

Hans Jacobs of the excellent Royalblog notes that the website is very obscure and offers no proof.Its main raison d'etre seems to be to tarnish the repustation of president Macri. The accusations towards Maxima were part of a larger article in which the president was accused of tax favors for his friends. A wrong translation into Dutch made the problem seem much larger than it was, but it was nontheless repeated by several news outlets and politicians.

The website is owned by Horacio Verbitsky, a great supporter of the previous president Christina Kirchner.

The author warns that considering the great ideological differences in Argentine, the Queen's activities there -even when they are private- can become part of a political game, as seems to be the case here.

https://gpdhome.typepad.com/nieuwsb...nië-kunnen-onderdeel-worden-van-politiek.html

“Considering the friendship of the King & Queen with president Macri and his wife is rather evident -they spent Christmas together- it is not a great mystery why he would be focusing on the Queen to hit the president.”

Is it true that HM the King spent christmas with the president of a country like that with all its controversies? I know the Queen has very distasteful political family baggage so should they appear not to be overly friendly with politicians in a country like that?

“Considering the friendship of the King & Queen with president Macri and his wife is rather evident -they spent Christmas together- it is not a great mystery why he would be focusing on the Queen to hit the president.”

Is it true that HM the King spent christmas with the president of a country like that with all its controversies? I know the Queen has very distasteful political family baggage so should they appear not to be overly friendly with politicians in a country like that?

They spent (part of) their christmas holidays in Argentina in the same area; I don't think that's the same as 'celebrating christmas together'; much more likely they celebrated christmas with Máxima's family. On January 9 the president had a dinner party to which the king and queen were invited. It is well known that the couples are friendly with each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom