Willem-Alexander, Máxima and Family, General News Part 3 (May 2017-Aug 2020)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
On topic: I don't like the photo at all. The photo I did like was the one they used in 2016 for their Christmas greeting (where they are sitting on that bench).
What is it about the picture you don't like? Is it too polished (compared to the one you did like)?

Last edited by a moderator:
My 2 cents worth on this picture, do not like it at all. Not a happy group of people, no smiles, looks like robots standing at attention on a field waiting orders to do something....even the young girl 2nd from the last looks miserable. Oh well, to each is own......

I appreciate the family made some effort with this photo, even though I don’t especially like the overall effect. I will say I think each individual family member looks good and the lighting and colours are flattering.

I think I get what the photographer was going for but, to me, success would have required an overall sense of gravitas that’s difficult to pull off with modern teenagers. I think WA, Maxima and Amalia look spot on and the photo would have been perfect if it was just the three of them. Amalia has a very composed and regal bearing that enables her to look natural in this kind of setting in spite of her young age. Her sisters don’t, at least not yet, and I think trying to explain to people that age what look you’re going for results in the somewhat unnatural expressions seen on the two younger A’s.

Considering the difficult year that Queen Maxima has faced in 2018, I wouldn't be surprised if they opted to use this photo as their Christmas greeting rather than take another series of pictures.

I think they do that more often also in other years so i don't think that has to do with what kind of year they had.. :flowers:

I do like the Chritsmas environment, lights, presents, colors...But I'm not sad about the nativity scene being disappearing. There are people who don't celebrate Christmas, due to beliefs, religion, morals, whatever it is...This way their Cards "only" have the Christmas name, while the picture is "available" for everybody. I like that they are becoming universally acessible to every human being.

Indeed, there are people who do not celebrate Christmas, but it is what it is: Christmas. We can give it all political correct names and try to avoid stepping on sensitive toes, but it is Christmas, with a Christmas tree, with Christmas cards, Christmas holidays, Christmas gifts, a Christmas Address, with a Christmas dinner and even Christmas music, Christmas films or a Christmas Circus.

Last edited:
This one? https://nos.nl/artikel/2149999-koning-wenst-ons-een-gezegende-kerst-en-een-gezond-2017.html
Yes i like that one better too, not because it's more traditional (i definitely don't mind non-traditional ;) ) but i still don't like the wax-ness of the 2018 pic

Yes, I meant that one. It's more informal and overall just gives me a more pleasant feeling.

Formal can also give me a pleasant feeling, but this one is a miss for me.

What is it about the picture you don't like? Is it too polished (compared to the one you did like)?

I suppose it is because of what Lee-Z said, I think it is too wax doll like.

Last edited:
:previous:

Yes Skippy, that is right on point about the picture, they look like wax dolls not of this world....just dolls sitting, waiting to be picked up and held.....you said it better then I could!

:previous:

Yes Skippy, that is right on point about the picture, they look like wax dolls not of this world....just dolls sitting, waiting to be picked up and held.....you said it better then I could!

They look regal,and nothing less then that.

I think I say it better then anyone could except the odd exception.
So childish to critize like kindergarten grey cells do.

Merry Christmas.

It is okay to have a different opinion, unfortunately this does not look like a very happy picture be it holiday or not. It is not meant as a criticism, just my opinion on how sad they look and doll like. Anyhow, I get where your coming from and that is okay. Happy Holidays ......:xmastree:

It is okay to have a different opinion, unfortunately this does not look like a very happy picture be it holiday or not. It is not meant as a criticism, just my opinion on how sad they look and doll like. Anyhow, I get where your coming from and that is okay. Happy Holidays ......:xmastree:

Happy Holidays to you too!

Do we know where and how the royals spend Christmas? As much as I follow the Dutch royals I don’t know if they have any set christmas traditions? Do they stay at home?

They look regal,and nothing less then that.

I think I say it better then anyone could except the odd exception.
So childish to critize like kindergarten grey cells do.

Merry Christmas.

I totally disagree with this. A photo can look regal without looking too stiff. You make it sound as if anyone who thinks differently is out of his mind. That's rude.

The bold part sounds arrogant, there are more people -not the odd exception- who are eloquent, and with the last bold sentence you do the same as what you accuse others of.

Different opinions are not necessarily criticism. If that's how you take it, that's your view.

Happy X-mas (war is over).

Do we know where and how the royals spend Christmas? As much as I follow the Dutch royals I don’t know if they have any set christmas traditions? Do they stay at home?

Mostly they spend it in Argentina.

I agree. The Dutch royals seem to be very private about how they spend their Christmas holidays when compared to other royal families. When the AAA team was young, we'd see photos of them greeting Sinterklass at the harbor, but that was about it. The monarch gives the Christmas address but otherwise the holdiay seems to be celebrated in a very private manner.

Last edited:
I really like this recent portrait of the Dutch Royals. I keep going back to it and comparing the faces of the girls with their parents’.

Christmas is the annual Christian festival celebrating Christ's birth and these poker faces convey nothing about Christmas. Very odd. Perhaps their public appearances like this should attempt to enter the spirit regardless of their private lives.

I was wondering about the lack of books in the library of Noordeinde Palace, but then I thought about the Royal House Archives, which is also the royal family's library, in the park of Noordeinde Palace: http://www.koninklijkeverzamelingen.nl/images/instelling/huisarchief_vooraanzicht.jpg

It is a big building with underground depôts. My guess is that the library in Noordeinde Palace is more a "reading salon" with an arrangement of books and magazines provided by the staff of the Royal House Archives.

The King held his Christmass Adress from the library at Noordeinde Palace: https://images4.persgroep.net/rcs/s...=21791a8992982cd8da851550a453bd7f&quality=0.9

Christmas is the annual Christian festival celebrating Christ's birth and these poker faces convey nothing about Christmas. Very odd. Perhaps their public appearances like this should attempt to enter the spirit regardless of their private lives.

But the pictures of the Waleses, the Cambridges, the Sussexes, the Borbóns, etc. had no any Christmas theme either. In older days the cards showed something from Rembrandt, Caravaggio, Breughel, Velásquez, etc. with a Nativity scène or the Annunciation.

Red Christmas?

"marx engels lenin stalin mao poster" - just google it!

I don't like the christmas card at all!

"marx engels lenin stalin mao poster" - just google it!

I don't like the christmas card at all!

On the façade of the 17th C city hall in The Hague is a latin inscription: Ne Jupiter Quidem Omnibus Placet (Even Jupiter Can Not Please Everyone).

:lol:

Last edited:
Last edited:
King Willem Alexander and Queen Maxima reported that Thursday night with President Mauricio Macri and his wife Juliana Awada shared a dinner at Villa La Angostura.
It seems the family spent the holidays in Argentina

https://www.clarin.com/politica/mau...ma-cierre-vacaciones-cumelen_0_zQ7Ptwuxi.html

https://www.lmneuquen.com/macri-recibio-la-reina-maxima-villa-la-angostura-n619533

According to the news, dinner was on Wednesday. Should not the girls have returned to school on Monday? If parents and school have no problems with them losing several days of school for the holidays, then the school is not the cause of Amalia not attending official activities such as the christening of the dredger that would only take a couple of hours.

According to the news, dinner was on Wednesday. Should not the girls have returned to school on Monday? If parents and school have no problems with them losing several days of school for the holidays, then the school is not the cause of Amalia not attending official activities such as the christening of the dredger that would only take a couple of hours.

The dinner was with the royal couple only, I believe. The princesses Amalia, Alexia and Ariane most likely were at school. That is the advantage of having free travel at your disposal... :lol:

King Willem Alexander and Queen Maxima reported that Thursday night with President Mauricio Macri and his wife Juliana Awada shared a dinner at Villa La Angostura.
It seems the family spent the holidays in Argentina

https://www.clarin.com/politica/mau...ma-cierre-vacaciones-cumelen_0_zQ7Ptwuxi.html

https://www.lmneuquen.com/macri-recibio-la-reina-maxima-villa-la-angostura-n619533

Spending their holidsys in Argentina was to be expected based on their schedule of celebrating Christmas in Argentina every other year. However, this year they also had their move from the Eikenhorst to Huis ten Bosch scheduled for the Christmas holidays, so appsrently they managed to combine the two but needed more than the princesses' 2 week break.

Spending their holidsys in Argentina was to be expected based on their schedule of celebrating Christmas in Argentina every other year. However, this year they also had their move from the Eikenhorst to Huis ten Bosch scheduled for the Christmas holidays, so appsrently they managed to combine the two but needed more than the princesses' 2 week break.

The royals can be in Dubai today, in Montreal tomorrow and in Tokyo the day after. What is a trip from Maastricht to Amsterdam for us, that is a trip from The Hague to Athens for them.

Whether the three princesses were in Argentina or not, I am sure the parents have carefully checked everything with the schools. A public outcry about assumed privileged holidays for the princesses is the last thing they want.

The royals can be in Dubai today, in Montreal tomorrow and in Tokyo the day after. What is a trip from Maastricht to Amsterdam for us, that is a trip from The Hague to Athens for them.

Whether the three princesses were in Argentina or not, I am sure the parents have carefully checked everything with the schools. A public outcry about assumed privileged holidays for the princesses is the last thing they want.

Hmm, a public outcry in this case is justified imo. There is no need to go on holiday during the Christmas break. They go on holiday in summer, will be on a ski holiday in february. So, if they couldn't go on a christmas holiday this time because of the move, they could have skipped instead of being in Argenrina when the schools already started.

And it's not the first time that they do so although the last time they took their daughters out of school outside of school breaks (without a justified reason) was many years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom