Willem-Alexander, Máxima and Family, General News Part 3 (May 2017-Aug 2020)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have we ever seen Máxima and her daughters wearing a traditional Dutch costume?

No. But unlike in Andalucía, there are no Dutch public festivals in which traditional costume are worn by the locals. There is no Dutch equivalent of this Feria in Sevilla.

Thank you for posting the pictures of this lovely event: one wants to know much more about the Feria. I was certainly intrigued and perhaps a little shocked by the video that shows the King clearly pushing an elderly gentleman out of the way as he, the king, moved forward:eek: Does anyone know who this person might be; I am quite curious why the king would exhibit such ungentlemanly behaviour:bang:

The personal space of his four ladies is sacred by the King. That is his red button, so to say. I can see he was clearly irritated by the trampling and directed his ladies to go inside. He only touched the gentleman (who then blocked the path of the Queen, by the way). Little fuss about some congestion. I saw a lot of "ears". I do not know if these were Spanish or Dutch "ears" but their job to make free way was not so succesful here.

Yes, I hear that Maxima's friend from school, who was from a rich family knew WA and introduce to her. I think it make more sense that . She wasn't friends with Royalty before meeting him.

In my understanding Máxima Zorreguieta Cerruti became befriended with Prince Maximilian von und zu Liechtenstein, who was inside the New York haute Finance as well (JP Morgan). In 1999 Máxima was Vice-President Latin-American Institutional Sales at Dresdner Kleinwort Benson.

This Prince invited Máxima to bring a visit to this Feria in Sevilla. Thanks to the Prince's network Máxima got access to the caseta of the exclusive Real Club de Andalucía.

And in that caseta the eyes of a certain blonde guest, invited by Doña Miriam Ungría, the Princess of Tarnovo, was struck by that unknown sparkling blonde lady from New York.

:flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
In Spain there are dozens of regional costumes that are dressed in the popular festivals of each region, city and village ... I can not believe that in Holland there is no occasion where the regional dress is worn.

The April Fair is a crowded place, full of people and press, they knew that it was not a discreet place and the King can not go pushing in that way. If you want space, privacy and calm the fair is not your place.

The April Fair is held in an enclosure that is open and can be visited, but the parties are held in "casetas", although there are some public, most are private and belong to associations or clubs, and can only be accessed by invitation. They were invited to the "caseta" of the Aero, a private and exclusive club in Sevilla, its exclusive parties receive every year famous people and aristocracy. The club appointed King Willem Alexander as an honorary partner, precisely because Willem Alexander and Máxima met at their "caseta". Normally the guests are aristocrats or non-reigning princes (such as Pavlos and Marie Chantal who were invited by Pia Getty's Spanish boyfriend who is the club's ambassador), it's a chance for the jet set to party and be seen.

In Spain there are dozens of regional costumes that are dressed in the popular festivals of each region, city and village ... I can not believe that in Holland there is no occasion where the regional dress is worn.
[...]

No, there is no such day in which locals all dress up in traditional costume. There are folkloristic clubs who try to maintain traditional dress, but that is someting else than a fiesta in which people from Sevilla, Córdoba, Granada, Ronda, Málaga, Jérez de la Frontera, etc. dress up to go to the Feria.

The closest to local dress are people from regions to flock to The Hague to see the royal procession advancing from Noordeinde Palace to the Hall of Knights.

Ladies from Staphorst alongside the route at Prinsjesdag: http://www.marcelvandenbergh.com/uploads/photos/2018/09/800x533_prinsjesdag-8d.jpg

Traditional dress from Zealand: http://www.ons-boeregoed.nl/wp-content/uploads/DSC06492ab.jpg

Various traditional dresses on ice: https://www.immaterieelerfgoed.nl/i...n.jpg()(C2D1606BC161A803B355D28CFB3602E2).jpg

So anyone here can say a little more about the Feria de Sevilla? The lunch they had was probably a private event right? Is the feria an actually free entrance ? or you have to pay tickets to go in? It looks something really fun to do !

In my understanding Máxima Zorreguieta Cerruti became befriended with Prince Maximilian von und zu Liechtenstein, who was inside the New York haute Finance as well (JP Morgan). In 1999 Máxima was Vice-President Latin-American Institutional Sales at Dresdner Kleinwort Benson.

This Prince invited Máxima to bring a visit to this Feria in Sevilla. Thanks to the Prince's network Máxima got access to the caseta of the exclusive Real Club de Andalucía.

And in that caseta the eyes of a certain blonde guest, invited by Doña Miriam Ungría, the Princess of Tarnovo, was struck by that unknown sparkling blonde lady from New York.

:flowers:
Is very possible what you say, I read so many different versions of how they met but yours make sense. The one I mentioned it is from the Argentinean press, at the time they gave the name of the friend . :flowers:

The streets of the fair are free access, and there are "casetas" where there is food, music and dance, some are public but most are private and you can only access with invitation. They went to a lunch in the "caseta" of the private club AERO, one of the most exclusive of the fair, that usually attend aristocrats, businessmen or celebrities.

The Seville Fair is the largest and where more famous people go to be seen ... but there are similar fairs in many cities of Andalucia.

Last edited:
The streets of the fair are free access, and there are "casetas" where there is food, music and dance, some are public but most are private and you can only access with invitation. They went to a lunch in the "caseta" of the private club AERO, one of the most exclusive of the fair, that usually attend aristocrats, businessmen or celebrities.

The Seville Fair is the largest and where more famous people go to be seen ... but there are similar fairs in many cities of Andalucia.

Thank you! Wow must be nice to be invited to the private Club Aero. It seems a lot of fun and a nice excuse to dress with something different! The flamenco dresses are gorgeous!

What is the difference between Real Club de Andalucía and the Aero? I see both mentioned. Is Aero another name for the same club? Or is the caseta of Aero one of the casetas inside the compound of the Real Club de Andalucía at the Feria? I also see: Real Club de Andalucía "El Aero" to make the confusion complete.

See: https://rfepolo.org/index.php/nel-e...arranca-el-iberian-polo-tour-by-laligasports/

What is the difference between Real Club de Andalucía and the Aero? I see both mentioned. Is Aero another name for the same club? Or is the caseta of Aero one of the casetas inside the compound of the Real Club de Andalucía at the Feria? I also see: Real Club de Andalucía "El Aero" to make the confusion complete.

See: https://rfepolo.org/index.php/nel-e...arranca-el-iberian-polo-tour-by-laligasports/

The full name is Real Club de Andalucía "EI Aero"

http://www.realclubdeandalucia.org/

Looks as if the family had a fun time in Seville and it's nice that the AAAs are taken along to such events - and a chance to practice their Spanish!

Looks as if the family had a fun time in Seville and it's nice that the AAAs are taken along to such events - and a chance to practice their Spanish!

I believe the family hired Spanish-speaking nannies, as of course the four ladies have Spanish-speaking family. I guess they will speak German too, for their German relatives and the annual wintersport in Lech.

The full name is Real Club de Andalucía "EI Aero"

http://www.realclubdeandalucia.org/

Ah clear. Thanks for the link!

The personal space of his four ladies is sacred by the King. That is his red button, so to say. I can see he was clearly irritated by the trampling and directed his ladies to go inside. He only touched the gentleman (who then blocked the path of the Queen, by the way). Little fuss about some congestion. I saw a lot of "ears". I do not know if these were Spanish or Dutch "ears" but their job to make free way was not so succesful here.

thank you for the explanation; indeed crowds are nerve-wracking and certainly in such a situation as the Feria, were there does not seem to be much crowd control. The King did well in protecting his own.:flowers:

It's a shame, and because of what you see in the video, nobody is attacking or bothering your "women". And even if it was, you have no right to mistreat an elderly and less Spanish. What do you think they are? They manipulate the press of their country without leaving them an option for freedom ... not a minimum. Do not think that you are going to go to a foreign country and you are still a king, No sir. What rudeness and bad education has shown. It is very serious. Especially since the "attack" has been on a Spanish citizen and there is no way to excuse this king and most of the time, disappeared.????

thank you for the explanation; indeed crowds are nerve-wracking and certainly in such a situation as the Feria, were there does not seem to be much crowd control. The King did well in protecting his own.:flowers:

The king did well? I did not see at any time that they were surrounded by neither crowd nor photographers, because most of them do not even know who these Dutch kings are. It is seen in the images that they pose and then the journalists tell them but the people who pass by the street, do not know anything. This guy, he hits an ANCIENT, and he's not even in his country. It is an aggression and do you still think well?:explosión::explosión:

Whilst I do think it was pretty poor of WA to have knocked the elderly gentleman out of the way, I can't imagine he's the sort of person who would do such a gesture out of malice. It seems as if he genuinely didn't notice that the man was behind him - it was a very busy crowd, after all. It's just unfortunate that it happened - but I hardly imagine WA meant any harm or damage.

It's a shame, and because of what you see in the video, nobody is attacking or bothering your "women". And even if it was, you have no right to mistreat an elderly and less Spanish. What do you think they are? They manipulate the press of their country without leaving them an option for freedom ... not a minimum. Do not think that you are going to go to a foreign country and you are still a king, No sir. What rudeness and bad education has shown. It is very serious. Especially since the "attack" has been on a Spanish citizen and there is no way to excuse this king and most of the time, disappeared.????

:ohmy: Is that all?

You really need to assume bad intentions to justify the outrage for the king passing someone and doing so slightly clumsy.

And please explain the supposed manipulation in 'the press of their country' as that is quite a statement: the Dutch press being fully controlled by the royal family. Where can I find all the articles by international organizations writing about this gross attack on the freedom of press by the Dutch king?

Yes I believe that is the current Duke de Alba he was there with his son and daughter in law the Duke and Duchess de Huéscar.Also present was the king of Spains 1st cousin Doña Simoneta Gómez Acebo.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgur...2bwqQ0dhunM:&vet=1&w=750&h=421&source=sh/x/im

Thanks for the confirmation!

Nice to see the Dutch royal family interacting with the Spanish nobility; especially since the family is (mostly) fluent in Spanish (at least the queen and I assume the princesses as well and the king might not be fluent but should speak Spanish well enough to easily converse in Spanish).

:previous: WA reportedly speaks Spanish, French, English and German as well as Dutch.

The Duke of Alba though also reportedly speaks several languages. His son and daughter in law both attended English language schools so the group could have communicated on at least two levels.

Amalia is said to speak Dutch, English and 'some Spanish'. Good practice.

:previous: WA reportedly speaks Spanish, French, English and German as well as Dutch.

The Duke of Alba though also reportedly speaks several languages. His son and daughter in law both attended English language schools so the group could have communicated on at least two levels.

Amalia is said to speak Dutch, English and 'some Spanish'. Good practice.
Speaking a language is not exactly the same as being fluent. I doubt king Willem-Alexander is fluent in French; and his Spanish is quite good (upper intermediate at least I would say) but again, I am not sure he is fluent.

What is your source for the princess to speak only 'some Spanish'? I had the impression they were raised bilingual Dutch-Spanish (with Máxima speaking Spanish to them, at least when they were younger; in public they mostly speak Dutch).

Speaking a language is not exactly the same as being fluent. I doubt king Willem-Alexander is fluent in French; and his Spanish is quite good (upper intermediate at least I would say) but again, I am not sure he is fluent.

What is your source for the princess to speak only 'some Spanish'? I had the impression they were raised bilingual Dutch-Spanish (with Máxima speaking Spanish to them, at least when they were younger; in public they mostly speak Dutch).

I believe the parents had Spanish-speaking (or even Argentine) nannies employed at Villa De Eikenhorst.

Last edited:

Strange to see Hare Majesteit like this. But of course also Beatrix and Juliana have been seen dancing.

Diverse media have identified the gentleman as Don Antonio Benjumea y Fernández Govantes from Abengoa (a major Spanish company based in Seville, big in wind, water, solar and other sustainable energy sources). The Benjumea family holds the titles Marqués de Puebla de Cazalla, Conde de Guadalhorce and Conde de Benjumea. Last September Don Antonio married in the Capilla del Rosario de la Real Maestranza de Caballería de Sevilla with Doña Ana Pacheco y Aisa.

Last edited:
It looked to me like the man was trying to keep others from getting in the way of the DRF--note how he put his arm out to block a woman from crossing W-A's path--but he misjudged how much space they needed on that side. He didn't seem all that old to me; nearing retirement age, perhaps, but hardly elderly. Could he have been associated with the party they were walking into, and trying to help usher the DRF in?

The manner in which W-A nudged him aside was definitely rude to my eyes. If he'd at least glanced at the man or said a "pardon me" as he pushed through, I might feel differently, but as it was he didn't seem to treat him as a person at all, just a physical obstacle. That's a shame, as I'd always thought of W-A as one of the friendlier, kinder royals.

Strange to see Hare Majesteit like this. But of course also Beatrix and Juliana have been seen dancing.

It seems she was having a wonderful time. I can not imagine ever seeing Beatrix like this, but in those days there were no cameras on telephones. Of course we have seen Máxima dancing on many occasions before, also in public. The comments in the Dutch press/ social media/ television has almost been 100% positive.

Apparently the RVD is now asking the Dutch press to remove clips of the Queen dancing as the party was 'private'. They seem to have no problems of the images made in the carriage and on the street.

Some in the press are obviously critical about this, others agree with the RVD. Royalblog calls it a wake-up call for the RVD. The media code is from 2005. Now the princesses become young adults with a life of their own they will become more interesting to the press and public. This will put the media code under pressure, especially in combination with the advance of online (social) media these last 14 years.

The party they attended this time was a chique venue and even there posh guests were filming and tweeting. What to do with video's made in a college room, in a gym or in a café that will be spread through twitter? Can the RVD sue 1000s of retweeters? Does it want to?

Although I understand the point that the RVD is making to me it feels like mustard after the meal to undertake such actions while the clip is around on the internet / in the foreign press and free to access for anybody with a computer. It is naive to think that a reprimand from the RVD will have much effect in the international (online) press. If it is such a problem they should try to prevent such a thing from happening in the future by either evading such public events or by tightening the security guidelines.

Last edited:
It looked to me like the man was trying to keep others from getting in the way of the DRF--note how he put his arm out to block a woman from crossing W-A's path--but he misjudged how much space they needed on that side. He didn't seem all that old to me; nearing retirement age, perhaps, but hardly elderly. Could he have been associated with the party they were walking into, and trying to help usher the DRF in?

The manner in which W-A nudged him aside was definitely rude to my eyes. If he'd at least glanced at the man or said a "pardon me" as he pushed through, I might feel differently, but as it was he didn't seem to treat him as a person at all, just a physical obstacle. That's a shame, as I'd always thought of W-A as one of the friendlier, kinder royals.

The King absolutely is a very friendly and easygoing fellow, as has been proved thousands and thousands of times. But he is very protective of his ladies. Keep in mind he witnessed a lunatic ramming his car in a vain attempt to kill the royal family at the cost of 7 deaths and countless wounded (Queen's Day 2009).

He is sharp on having free way. And as a King he is used to see the crowd opening for him like the Red Sea for Moses. So the mass attention and all the cameras almost without a barrier on him and his ladies worked like a red cloth on a bull: His Majesty is not amused.

That is all. As a member of Dutch Parliament once stated in a debate: "We are discussing the royal family. Not the Holy Family." We are all human. Even the King. This not being amused with intrusive beaviour is what he shares with his mother Queen Beatrix "Hoe onhebbelijk!" ("How unacceptable!") or his grandmother Queen Juliana "No, no, they did NOT deserve it!" (on the question if she was willing to halt and to pose?).

Last edited:
It seems she was having a wonderful time. I can not imagine ever seeing Beatrix like this, but in those days there were no cameras on telephones. Of course we have seen Máxima dancing on many occasions before, also in public. The comments in the Dutch press/ social media/ television has almost been 100% positive.
[....]

I have seen images of Princess Beatrix dancing at the famous Opernball in the Wiener Staatoper. And of course dancing with Prince Claus during various festive events. Queen Juliana the same. But indeed not in this setting, in a caseta somewhere in Andalucía.

http://proxy.handle.net/10648/adc7fa28-d0b4-102d-bcf8-003048976d84

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom