WA, Máxima & Daughters: Summer Holiday in Argentina & Lawsuit against AP: Summer 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
short update: according to RTL Boulevard (Dutch Showbizz program) the RVD has called the NOS about the newsitem to say that this is not ok. So technically, because the pictures are news they can be published, but it is possible that the RVD will take action against the NOS. *getting dizzy and confused*. Now if this would happen it would be a interesting event because the NOS has the sole right to broadcast all the happenings in the dutch royal family (weddings, funerals etc).

If this couple really wanted privacy they could choose a private island to spend their vacation. None of us (including royals) can have a perfect life all the time, the lack of privacy is the bad side of being a royal.

This is the only royal couple who complains and complains about the media.

I know WA and Máxima don't like this situation, they don't complain and call names just for the fun I'm sure, but for their own sake they must try to behave differently...
You don't see Máxima's parents or the rest of her family doing this everytime someone takes pictures of them. They could complain because they are not the Crown Princess! But they always seems nice and friendly with the press.

I soooo agree with you. Business here is so bad there won't be a vacation at all this year. So I'm sorry about your lavish ski vacation, next time stay at home. I love the DRF and mean no disrespect but I only wish I had his problem!!:rolleyes:
now we are too i would not maind to have their problem either!!!!

I soooo agree with you. Business here is so bad there won't be a vacation at all this year. So I'm sorry about your lavish ski vacation, next time stay at home. I love the DRF and mean no disrespect but I only wish I had his problem!!:rolleyes:

Business isn't bad all over and this crisis has not only nothing and nada to do with a trip or a pic,it is also hyped up to a rediculous level.I won't have any of that nor arguments related to that,it is a sort of total non-logic I am not nor wish to be aquanted with.In other words,
it is nonsense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reading the news summaries of the case WA made in court yesterday, I have to say I have even LESS sympathy for him than I did before.

Bringing up that his brothers didn't like to visit their grandfather at Port Ercole because of the press intrusion is bizarre. I'm sure it was annoying, but it's not like that was the only opportunity they had to see him. But, "we didn't want to leave our yacht" isn't exactly a sympathy-making claim, especially for a public figure.

I also find it more than a little ironic for him to say that he takes his children to an exotic resort on the other side of the world (and other similar jaunts throughout the year) so they can have a "normal" childhood. Really? How many "normal" Dutch families take their "normal" children on such trips every year?

Accept the fact that you and your children are public figures, not "normal" people. While the idea of giving your kids a "normal" childhood sounds quaint and down-to-earth, wouldn't it make more sense to raise them in a way that gives them the tools to cope with fact that they aren't "normal?"

Apart from that, for any public figure to sue the media for pictures taken in a public resort is just plain foolhardy -- and, to those of us who value freedom of the press, offensive.

I remember the prince and princess allowed them pictures of them with their children celebrating Santa Claus arrival. That was a private event, so why do they allow some pictures but get angry with anothers? :confused:

Reading the news summaries of the case WA made in court yesterday, I have to say I have even LESS sympathy for him than I did before.

Bringing up that his brothers didn't like to visit their grandfather at Port Ercole because of the press intrusion is bizarre. I'm sure it was annoying, but it's not like that was the only opportunity they had to see him. But, "we didn't want to leave our yacht" isn't exactly a sympathy-making claim, especially for a public figure.

I also find it more than a little ironic for him to say that he takes his children to an exotic resort on the other side of the world (and other similar jaunts throughout the year) so they can have a "normal" childhood. Really? How many "normal" Dutch families take their "normal" children on such trips every year?

Accept the fact that you and your children are public figures, not "normal" people. While the idea of giving your kids a "normal" childhood sounds quaint and down-to-earth, wouldn't it make more sense to raise them in a way that gives them the tools to cope with fact that they aren't "normal?"

Apart from that, for any public figure to sue the media for pictures taken in a public resort is just plain foolhardy -- and, to those of us who value freedom of the press, offensive.

Sadly, a royal, has no clue what normal is. I guess they make the what is "normal" decision on what they want the world to see. Them seeing Santa Claus is OK, them seen on the ski slopes is offensive. Hating to see a grandparent the media was so bad they could not get off a royal yacht is laughable. He cannot have it both ways. If this is normal I want to live a normal life like he has.

"The prince wants for his daughters are carefree youth, in which they move about freely as they prepare for a future life in the public eye."
That's an oxymoron if I ever read one! If he wants them to have a carefree youth and move about freely yet be in the public eye, that means being photographed, and probably doing embarassing things! There's nothing wrong with teaching the girls that there are photographers out there, they could be anywhere, so be on good behavior.

"Do you want to say that (the royal family) will always be subjected to photos in public places, that they can only have a private life behind palace doors?" the judge asked.

Ummm.....I believe that is the definition of private life - what goes on behind the closed doors of one's house. What happens out in public is "public life". Skiing is not done in private.

I do understand that people will take their pictures but the royal family have photoshoots throughout the year and had one just before the skiing holiday, the press can never get enough. The girls are pretty young yet to be surronded with photographers, they dont understand, such things can scare them. They would like to enjoy their time just like other kids. Privacy while in public places should be considered IMO.

I dont think if they took pictures for 5minutes but throughout the holiday was abit to much.

It's a tricky tightrope walk. Private life vs. public life and sometimes they overlap unfortunately. I'm sure it's not easy being a public figure.

It's a tricky tightrope walk. Private life vs. public life and sometimes they overlap unfortunately. I'm sure it's not easy being a public figure.

But it has so great things with that, that your life becomes easy (IMO, the only problem is to deal with press) :flowers:

The problem for celebs and Royals alike is that they can bring lawsuits against news agencies and paps and win, but in this day and age almost everyone has a phone with a camera and video. Anyone can take pictures and send them to friends or news organizations or friends, relatives etc., can email the pictures and how are they going to be stopped unless public places start confiscating phones at the gates and that isn't going to happen.
It would be a nightmare for the Prince to sue anyone with a camera who snapped the family and emailed pictures. As I've said in the old days it was easy, but now cameras are everywhere.:nonono:

The media code between the dutch royals and the dutch media is a good thing IMO.
But I think they go too far by wanting to dictate international media.

The media code between the dutch royals and the dutch media is a good thing IMO.
But I think they go too far by wanting to dictate international media.

yes and that's quite common. most royal houses have an agreement with the national media, for everyday life, as long as small children are involved and usually these arrangements work. but as soon as you go abroad it's a different story. i remember diana complaining when skiing in klosters etc etc ... i would be surprised if wa got his way in this matter.

It certainly isn't.Most only seem to see the glitz and glamour,but lemme tell you,there is way more to it then just that,
that is even the least part of it all but the part we all see first and think of first,and then the thinking stops and just
assuming starts;" it's all so easy as one two three".It isn't.

Press,or what plebs dares call itself that these days,is more intrusive then ever before,they have no problem whatshowever to intrude whatever can be intruded as long as it sells big time.And people keep buying their trash.They never learn,they complain if there are no intrusive juicy stories,made up or not,and intrusive juicy pics,photo-shopped or not.One wonders,what sort of people buy that pulp?Anyone?

It certainly isn't.Most only seem to see the glitz and glamour,but lemme tell you,there is way more to it then just that,
that is even the least part of it all but the part we all see first and think of first,and then the thinking stops and just

Press,or what plebs dares call itself that these days,is more intrusive then ever before,they have no problem whatshowever to intrude whatever can be intruded as long as it sells big time.And people keep buying their trash.They never learn,they complain if there are no intrusive juicy stories,made up or not,and intrusive juicy pics,photo-shopped or not.One wonders,what sort of people buy that pulp?Anyone?

NONE of us has a clue what goes on behind palace doors. We all assume what we think happens. That does not make us wrong. We have minds, we do know how to use them. We know what we see when they are out and about. I personally think if WA would stop making such a huge deal out of the pictures it would just go away. He blows it up all out of proportion. I saw pictures of Queen Sofia with her grandchildren out and about. She just smiled and went on. The way WA acts no wonder the children are stressed. He does not just do this with the children around. He had a screaming fit when they were leaving to go to the birthday party for Prince Charles. I just find it very ODD that he and his family are the only one that has all these problems with the press. Maybe learning to ignore them, not suing, or screaming at them might help alot. I do NOT buy the pulp. I do not want made up news. We see Mary and Fred out alot with their children and they do not seem scared to death of them. They are teaching them how to cope with the leeches that will always be a part of their lives.

If WA screams with such anger when he's outdoors... imagine what he calls them behind home doors. No surprises if some day the children start to scream at the press like their father does :(
As dee4855 said, I think the best would be to ignore photographers and that's it. In most of these holiday time pictures, Máxima is smiling and looking happy, she doesn't seem bothered by the paparazzi presence. How will they prove in court that the photographers were teasing them?

Last edited:

Life in the public eye isn't easy, but it is part of the job, and they're well-rewarded for it. If they don't want the attention, they can opt out and, if they truly live "normal" lives, they'll fade from scrutiny very quickly.

But, the benefits of the lives they live -- fame, fortune, travel, meeting everyone, etc. -- are very addictive. Given the fact that very few people are willing to give up these perks, it's pretty clear that the benefits outweigh the downsides.

As far as the tabloid stories go, it may be unpleasant and unfair, but that's part of the job, too. Much of their reason for being involves projecting an image and acting as a symbol. If people lose interest in them, they can't perform that function and they're irrelevant. Having tabloid stories keeps that public interest up and makes them aspirational figures.

Please refrain from using TRF and this particular thread for word games, petty remarks and general nastiness towards each other. The issue at hand is the holiday of the prince of Orange and his family to Argentina, and the law suit they started against AP. We expect our members to stay polite, if you can't be polite, behave yourself and refrain from sharing petty remarks or be involved in word games, please stop posting in this thread as your posts will be deleted.

Last edited:
Was this court decision already expected by the Dutch society?

:previous: Yes, it's like rewarding WA for bad behavior. :nonono:

Was this court decision already expected by the Dutch society?

Not quiet,no,a judge is a judge and rules according to the possibilities of the Laws,independent of what people think,assume or otherwise.
But Good he ruled as he did,and it isn't a reward for "bad behaviour"....really..

Last edited:
NOSJOURNAAL - Willem-Alexander wint zaak tegen AP

...De Oranjes wilden dat ook toekomstige, nog niet bestaande foto's onder een verbod zouden vallen, maar zover wilde de rechter niet gaan. Er moet telkens opnieuw worden gekeken naar de nieuwswaarde van de beelden....

The judge did rule that, if taken to court, the newsworthyness or the pictures taken would be judged every time again.
This in contrast to what the Dutch Royals wanted, that still non existing photographs would be prohibited in the same way as these 4 pictures of the AP.

Will this be for only photos published in the Netherlands or does it mean that no publication in the world can ever print a photo of the Dutch Royal Family without their written permission?

I think they are a little bit arrogant. If they want privacy, they should stay at home. They were my favorite couple, because they were always happy and friendly, but I am now disappointed, and I am not interested what is with them anymore. They are insincere. I don't like such people. Only photograph was made about them, not lying was said...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom