The Princess of Orange, Pss Alexia and Pss Ariane, News Part 2 (Feb 2019 -Dec 2021)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder what kind of Birthday party she will have? or if she ever had her quincianera last year like in Argentina? What is in the Netherlands traditions? In America is Sweet 16. What is in the rest of the world?

And the Dutch news is focusing on 'in 2 years time she will get a dotation of about 1.5 million euro'.

Pfff old news. And it was unanimously (!) agreed by Parliament anyway. Until some parliamentarians realized it is an opportunity for some populist blabla.

Important detail: in the Netherlands the incomes are vested in law and are automatic.

In Belgium the King has to request an income for his eldest daughter, this is not automatic.

So what King Philippe did (not requesting an income) is not possible in the Netherlands: it would display the King as disagreeing with the law. A law which was passed unanimously by the democratically elected Parliament. So Amalia simply will get her annual income.

Last edited:
Wonder what kind of Birthday party she will have? or if she ever had her quincianera last year like in Argentina? What is in the Netherlands traditions? In America is Sweet 16. What is in the rest of the world?

There will be no big party: her parents told there is Saint Nicholas (Dec 5/6), there is Christmas and there is the New Year. And exactly in this period the Princess has her end-of-season exams at the Gymnasium (pre-university school).

But you bet both grand-mamans and the family and the godparents will spoil her.

Amalia is blossoming into a beautiful young lady and is starting to resemble Maxima more now she's getting older. When she was younger, I thought she was almost a clone of WA but now I see a mixture of the two.

It is not a Dutch tradition to celebrate a 16th birthday in a big way. The age has no significance for most Dutch people, except to those who watch too many American television shows.

That sounds like a grand party to me.
Perhaps maybe mama Máxima meant was that there would be no public party/ celebrations.

A chic dinner with international royals and friends for the 16th Birthday of Amalia.

Amalia’s Argentinian family is said to have been at the 16th birthday, but also royals - including a number of Amalia’s generations - from Europe

https://royalinsider.nl/2019/12/07/geen-disco-maar-chic-diner-op-paleis-voor-jarige-amalia/

It is very much hineininterpretieren (to interpret to reach a certain assumption):

"How exactly the dinner looked like and who would have been present is unknown. Amalia’s Argentinian family is said to have been at the 16th birthday, but also royals - including a number of Amalia’s generation - from Europe. In addition, friends of the Princess also sat at the table. In the meantime, the palace has been wrapped in a Christmas atmosphere, including a meters-high illuminated Christmas tree on the bassecour."

Yeah just a quiet cozy celebration :) it’s nice very that her Royal contemporaries were there for the party.

It is not a Dutch tradition to celebrate a 16th birthday in a big way. The age has no significance for most Dutch people, except to those who watch too many American television shows.

Máxima , however, loves parties, no matter the motive.

The Dutch royals are popular at home, but they look rather frivolous when seen from the outside.

We only have the self-confessed hearsay of a royalty reporter for boulevard magazines to go on for this supposed gathering of royals. He may be correct but the article itself isn't very convincing.

Huis ten Bosch is small & does not have many guestrooms it is difficult to have them stay there, esp. if Argentinian family is sleeping in the palace/ guest house too. That means that royal guests would have had to travel around in The Hague, either from their hotels or from Noordeinde Palace. It would be surprising if this was possible without any pictures and rumors showing up on social media.

The 16th birthday is not a special occasion in The Netherlands nor is it one in Argentina where apparently the 15th birthday is celebrated with more attention. I do not know anybody who has celebrated it in a way that is different from a 15th or 17th birthday.

I suppose any dinner at the palace can be described as 'chic', considering the location of the dinner is a palace.

The Queen herself said that there would not be a special kind of celebration as Amalia is too busy with school work. Why should we not believe her over the hearsay of an article which does not even a hint why we should think it credible and which claims in the very first sentence that 'it is not known' who were present.

Last edited:
It’s a teenage girls birthday party. It should be frivolous and a little decadent :)

We only have the self-confessed hearsay of a royalty reporter for boulevard magazines to go on for this supposed gathering of royals. He may be correct but the article itself isn't very convincing.

Huis ten Bosch is small & does not have many guestrooms it is difficult to have them stay there, esp. if Argentinian family is sleeping in the palace too. That means that royal guests would have had to travel around in The Hague, either from their hotels or from Noordeinde Palace. It would be surprising if this was possible without any pictures showing up on social media.

The 16th birthday is not a special occasion in The Netherlands nor is it one in Argentina where apparently the 15th birthday is celebrated with more attention. I do not know anybody who has celebrated it in a way that is different from a 15th or 17th birthday.

I suppose any dinner at the palace can be described as 'chic', considering the location of the dinner is a palace.

The Queen herself said that there would not be a special kind of celebration as Amalia is too busy with school work. Why should we not believe her over the hearsay of an article which does not even a hint why we should think it credible and which claims in the very first sentence that 'it is not known' who were present.

To be fair, if one can receive world leaders at Huis ten Bosch (see picture: https://www.koninklijkhuis.nl/binar...ldingen/nieuws/2014/03/anp-groepsfoto-htb-jpg) one can receive guests for Princess Catharina-Amalia's birthday, of course.

The Orange-Nassaus are masters in stealth modus. Remember King Willem-Alexander's 50th birthday? The only guests "leaked" were the King and Queen of Spain, because they posed in front of Hôtel des Indes in The Hague. From all the other guests, we still have no idea...

But I agree with you: a 16th birthday is nothing in the Netherlands. It is the 18th birthday which is special. And then I expect the Government offering a gala banquet. Not in the Ridderzaal (is under restoration the coming years) but then we will undoubtedly see a grand celebration. Maybe in a spectacular venue like the Rijksmuseum at the eve of the Investiture.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a nice birthday celebration that certainly meets the Dutch standards of gezellig! Great to hear that the other European royals were there and that they were allowed to celebrate in private.

In Scotland you officially become an adult at 16 which means you can vote and marry without parental consent.

Its not really a big celebration in the UK, its your 18th where you have a party and you can legally drink(though probably have been doing so for a year or two) you can also vote! Also the same for your 21st.

The article was correct in that her argentinian relatives were about as Maxima’s mother was at the show Amalia was involved in. It also possibly explains why Maxima’s Calendar is empty this week and also those Christmas presents don’t buy themselves!

Last edited:
Huh?
It is a very popular here in the US thing to have a "sweet 16" birthday party. The wealthy and famous are so good at it here in the USA they built a whole reality series around it.

It is entirely plausible that they had a big party for Amalia but keep it private by minimizing the importance of the event to the public--- something they have done in the past.

The ‘out of interest’ doesn’t show from the picture [emoji23]

I thought her face on her birthday picture looked completely different from earlier pictures of video’s. But in these pictures she looks like her old self.

The ‘out of interest’ doesn’t show from the picture [emoji23]

I thought her face on her birthday picture looked completely different from earlier pictures of video’s. But in these pictures she looks like her old self.

When the Princess was pictured there, an almost empty Chamber was discussing the schedule for the coming period, so there was no interesting debate going on.

Well, that's something she has to learn as well for her future position: photographers don't always wait until you have your game-face on :lol:

The dutch RF has a very easy life with the dutch media, only allowing photo-opps at chosen events, but that will not always be the case in the future and certainly not with foreign media which can't be controlled that easily...

This is not to criticise Amalia, but her parents seem to have missed a few points in education? Anyway enjoy teenagelife A.

This is not to criticise Amalia, but her parents seem to have missed a few points in education�� Anyway enjoy teenagelife A.

I am curious to learn what the parents apparently "have missed in education"? The Princess was with school friends in the Second Chamber of the States-General. How many sixteen year olds do that?

I suspect it may have to do with her attitude. More attention for what her friends shows on her smartphone.

It's today's general teenage (and not only teenage...) attitude all around, but Catharina-Amalia is not a "general teenager".

If this is not what is meant, then I am curious to learn as well.

The Princess is doing exceptionally well, she is one year in advance and has taken an extra course into her curriculum: Chinese language (while the Gymnasium -her classicist school type- already has ancient Latin and ancient Greek as compulsory languages beside Dutch and English).

When the Princess was seen at the public tribune, an almost empty Chamber was discussing the "regeling der werkzaamheden" (business motion of the day), so there was no debate but exchanges between the fractions and the presidium to set the timetable and the schedule before any debate started.

Last edited:
The Princess is doing exceptionally well, she is one year in advance and has taken an extra course into her curriculum: Chinese language (while the Gymnasium -her classicist school type- already has ancient Latin and ancient Greek as compulsory languages beside Dutch and English).

When the Princess was seen at the public tribune, an almost empty Chamber was discussing the "regeling der werkzaamheden" (business motion of the day), so there was no debate but exchanges between the fractions and the presidium to set the timetable and the schedule before any debate started.

She is formally not one year in advance; that would only be the case if she was born in January or later (nowadays January 1st is the 'cut-off' date; until 1985 it was October 1st). Students born between October and December may 'normally' continue to the next grade (typically this decision especially is at play from 2nd to 3rd grade (i.e., kindergarden to 1st grade in most countries); however, they can also be 'held back' and have a 'prolonged' kindergarden. For these October - December children it's really up to the school and parents; by most people if they remain in kindergarden it is not considered 'repeating' a grade (although others do) and if they continue to 3rd (=1st) grade it is not considered to be 'skipping' a class (as formally students born before January 1st may continue if 'ready'). So, she is just an 'early student' (vroege leerling).

I'm surprised they allowed Amalia and her friends to use their phones if it was meant to be an educational visit for her role as future queen. It does seem in rather poor taste, but it's not just a generational thing, British PM Boris Johnson has been found guilty of doing the same.

I suspect it may have to do with her attitude. More attention for what her friends shows on her smartphone.

It's today's general teenage (and not only teenage...) attitude all around, but Catharina-Amalia is not a "general teenager".

If this is not what is meant, then I am curious to learn as well.
Complete nonsense. This is the general attitude of our society, not just teenagers and let me just say here that teenagers of this era care a whole lot more about our society and planet than the boomers all combined together.

She is sixteen and if she is doing this out of her own free will, kudos to her. There is nothing wrong with a teenager looking at something on someone's phone for a couple of seconds. She is still a kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom