The Princess of Orange, Pss Alexia and Pss Ariane, News Part 2 (Feb 2019 -Dec 2021)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That Video is... different. What exactly is going on LOL? Not used to seeing Royal kids in that light and Isabella photobombing was too funny!

It's nice to think that Alexia will be a friend to Leonor and vice versa, especially as both are royal. The Atlantic College does seem to be the school of choice for the European royals lately.

That Video is... different. What exactly is going on LOL? Not used to seeing Royal kids in that light and Isabella photobombing was too funny!

Well, if you explore the username, you'll see that Alexia and Josephine are not the only performers in royal circles. ?

It seems many seem to think that boarding school is the 'better' choice. I would like to question that assumption. Amalia is getting a very rigorous education. In Willem-Alexander's case the choice was mainly made because he had trouble with his parents; so not necessarily a choice made because they thought boarding school would be the best preparation for his future rule but mostly, that given the circumstances, that was the way to go.

Alexia could just be "done" with Greek and Latin (which would mean she would have to change schools) and looking for an adventure; and with her father previously attending this school and her cousin currently attending boarding school, it was a sensible option that apparently appealed to her.

Boarding school can be a great experience for certain kids but it comes with its own challenges. “Better” amounts to what environment is most likely to suit a particular child, and it’s really a toss up for these privileged girls who are making the choice between an elite, rigorous day school and a good boarding school.

Amalia may have been happy and thriving socially and academically at her school. That’s nothing to take for granted with a sixteen year old girl and messing with a situation that’s working well for the sake of having her try something new if she’s not totally on board comes with its own risks.

WA and Maxima have spoken in the past about letting their girls find their own paths, letting them make mistakes, etc. Obviously there are some things Amalia will have to do as the future Queen, but I’ve never gotten the sense that her parents have a lengthy checklist of educational experiences she MUST
complete.

Alexia seems to want a different experience to round out her last two years of secondary school. Hopefully both girls will look back and feel they made the right choice!

:previous: I agree with you. I think Amalia did not want to/was not yet ready to go study abroad, which is perfectly fine. I don't get the idea where royals MUST study abroad. Every country has proper educational programs, and if Amalia feels that she wants to complete High School in her country, then fine. It won't make her less of a Queen.

:previous: No one said it was a requirement of being a good monarch :ermm:

But boarding school in many ways is much more beneficial to royals. Especially a monarch. Or at least a foreign university. It gives them a chance to be a student where they are just another kid. In the Netherlands, Amalia is always the 'future ruler' of all of her classmates. No matter how much kids are told to treat her no different, there is no escaping that. In another country she would be just another student, no one would focus on her title. Her classmates would be her classmates not her future subjects. Its a chance at anonymity not able to gain at home, and a chance to have a regular experience in life.

Happy to see Alexia will be going to Wales. :flowers:

Her father obviously has fond memories that he can share with his daughter.

I know Alexia and Leonor may not become close friends, but it is great to see two young royals going to school with each other. It would be neat to see a photo of them together at school but thats just wishful thinking.

I saw the debate on their Spanish being different. They have two languages in common. Even if their Spanish is a bit different, they both speak English. And must quite well as the lessons in Wales will be in English.

Exciting time for both girls this fall.

As for Elisabeth and Leonor, I wonder if all the three fathers spoke with each other and gave/receive advice. It doesn't look like a coincidence for the three princesses to go there to finish their studies (even though WA went there). I bet there were discussions between Phillippe, Felipe and WA.

If they are purposefully meeting in secret, away from prying eyes of media, so that they and their children can become closer to each other, then I can't think of a better example of diplomacy by royals in the 21st century. It's not on trend to marry off children to other RFs these days, but at least they can still build lasting friendships that can only benefit them on a personal level, and their countries' relations in the long term. ;) It just makes absolute sense to make sure the kids have direct access to each other, as they will all have some varying degrees of influence in their countries at at some point..

Perhaps Alexia is proving to be more of a challenging teen than her older sister and W-A thinks the trip to boarding school could be good for her as it was for him when he was clashing with his parents.

Perhaps Alexia is proving to be more of a challenging teen than her older sister and W-A thinks the trip to boarding school could be good for her as it was for him when he was clashing with his parents.

I would hardly call making tik toks to rap music challenging. Just a teen.

UWC is not the kind of school you send 'troubled teens' to. Its not an easy school to get into. Not the kind parents simply apply and pay the tuition like some boarding schools. There is a whole qualifying procedure.

Perhaps some independence was seen as a good thing for her.

But this is definitely something Alexia would have had to put effort into. Not just a 'we need to kick some sense into her, maybe boarding school will do it'.

If they are purposefully meeting in secret, away from prying eyes of media, so that they and their children can become closer to each other, then I can't think of a better example of diplomacy by royals in the 21st century. It's not on trend to marry off children to other RFs these days, but at least they can still build lasting friendships that can only benefit them on a personal level, and their countries' relations in the long term. ;) It just makes absolute sense to make sure the kids have direct access to each other, as they will all have some varying degrees of influence in their countries at at some point..

The contacts between the Dutch and Spanish royal couples are very close. I can imagine they really discussed their daughters indeed.

King Felipe recently visited King Willem-Alexander at Huis ten Bosch in The Hague:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EGg8M4SWwAEpXkz.jpg

King Felipe and King Willem-Alexander were installed Knight in the Most Noble Order of the Garter at the same day:
https://www.modekoninginmaxima.nl/sites/default/files/1-ppe19061722.jpg

The Spanish and Dutch royal couples met each other at the funeral of the Prince of Tirnovo:
https://www.rtlboulevard.nl/sites/d...G&width=1024&height=576&impolicy=semi_dynamic

The Spanish royal couple leaving Grand Hotel des Indes in The Hague to head for King Willem-Alexander's 50th birthday party in The Hague:
https://cdn.nos.nl/image/2017/04/30/375995/xxl.jpg

The Spanish couple visited Noordeinde Palace in The Hague:
https://c8.alamy.com/comp/2CY3T1E/k...jhuispool-netherlands-tags-royals-2CY3T1E.jpg

The Dutch royal couple visited their Spanish friends in Madrid:
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/8b/53/2c/8b532c35b57892ddcd56356daef38444.jpg

The Dutch and Spanish royals at the installation of the new Pope:
https://images0.persgroep.net/rcs/Z...=93a17a8fd81db0de025c8abd1cca1279&quality=0.8

The Spaniards were guest at Het Oude Loo Castle in the east of the Netherlands:
https://images.nouveau.nl/0HVs8mi5h...loo-troonopvolgers-2013-rvd.jpg?itok=vA7qYH3E

The Dutch royals visited their friends in their private mansion at the Zarzuela compound:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_zx_1r0Dcao8/SGIQ8bcTQCI/AAAAAAAAA5M/mfshHt3JpCo/s1600/Felipe870.jpg

Meeting each other as fellow heirs, and now as fellow monarchs, is very different then having a private/personal relationship with each other.

We're not talking couples like the Swedish and Norwegian royals who will holiday together in the past. Meeting each other on state visits, or official visits, or when there is a meeting of the heirs, is very different.

Most of these events the children would not have been with them. The chances Leonor and Alexia have interacted much if at all are slim.

There are only 350 students at the school, so they will surely have some classes together and see each other. It stands to be seen how much more then that.

Meeting each other as fellow heirs, and now as fellow monarchs, is very different then having a private/personal relationship with each other.

We're not talking couples like the Swedish and Norwegian royals who will holiday together in the past. Meeting each other on state visits, or official visits, or when there is a meeting of the heirs, is very different.

Most of these events the children would not have been with them. The chances Leonor and Alexia have interacted much if at all are slim.

There are only 350 students at the school, so they will surely have some classes together and see each other. It stands to be seen how much more then that.

They have a private relationship, see the last picture of a private diner at la Zarzuela and the picture of them enjoying a weekend a the King's hunting lodge in the Netherlands. The last visit of King Felipe to King Willem-Alexander at Huis ten Bosch also was private, he was the first guest to see the spic-and-span restored Huis ten Bosch.

:previous: No one said it was a requirement of being a good monarch :ermm:

But boarding school in many ways is much more beneficial to royals. Especially a monarch. Or at least a foreign university. It gives them a chance to be a student where they are just another kid. In the Netherlands, Amalia is always the 'future ruler' of all of her classmates. No matter how much kids are told to treat her no different, there is no escaping that. In another country she would be just another student, no one would focus on her title. Her classmates would be her classmates not her future subjects. Its a chance at anonymity not able to gain at home, and a chance to have a regular experience in life.

Happy to see Alexia will be going to Wales. :flowers:

Her father obviously has fond memories that he can share with his daughter.

I know Alexia and Leonor may not become close friends, but it is great to see two young royals going to school with each other. It would be neat to see a photo of them together at school but thats just wishful thinking.

I saw the debate on their Spanish being different. They have two languages in common. Even if their Spanish is a bit different, they both speak English. And must quite well as the lessons in Wales will be in English.

Exciting time for both girls this fall.
I'm sorry. I got the impression that studying abroad was the only option for future monarchs based on the conversation. I misunderstood :flowers:

--

Even if the Spanish spoken in Argentina is different from the Spanish from Spain, both are still "Spanish". If it were that different, it would be two different languages. I speak Portuguese from Portugal, and I can easily understand Portuguese from Brazil, Cape Verde, Angola and Mozambique (different accents and some different verb/structures, but still Portuguese). I bet that's the same in the Spanish countries, or French-speaking countries (I had a college classmate who was born in the French-area of Switzerland and she clearly understood the French spoken in France, she even said that the accent spoken at the south of France was very cute).

And if Alexia and her sisters are fluent in Spanish or not. Might not be at the level of their Dutch (as they use Dutch on their daily lives and at school), but they certainly have a conversational Spanish level. They kind of remind me of Elisabeth and her siblings (fluent at French but with difficulties in writing/reading because Dutch was their language at school).

Beatrix and Claus sent Willem-Alexander to the boarding school in Wales because he was an unhappy teen in The Netherlands. The reason is well known in The Netherlands. Sending a Dutch princess to a boarding school makes Dutch people wonder if the princess is unhappy. Which is probably also the reason why Amalia continued her education in The Netherlands. It gives the people the feeling she is happy and stable. Both good qualities for a queen. Today I saw a Dutch article and the writer wondered if the boarding school was an escape for Alexia, just like it was for her father. Alexia is not the crown princess, so such articles will not affect her like it would affect Amalia. If Amalia didn't need a boarding school in Wales, it's the right decision to continue her education in The Netherlands because the boarding school in Wales would affect her reputation as future Dutch Queen.

This one, a private visit to the Pabellón del Príncipe at La Zarzuela.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/_zx_1r0Dcao8/SGIQ8bcTQCI/AAAAAAAAA5M/mfshHt3JpCo/s1600/Felipe870.jpg

Private is a relative term are you taking liberties with.

WA and Maxima didn't pop into Madrid for date night with the other couple. They were in Spain on an official trip, and the Spanish crown prince couple at the time hosted a 'private dinner' aka not a big function with officials, at their residence. Felipe did not pop in for a weekend to go hunting with WA. He was in the Netherlands to attend an art exhibit, and was invited to dinner.

It is common procedure when other royals are visiting to host a 'private dinner'. Victoria and Daniel hosted William and Kate. Do we think Kate is calling Victoria for advice on Charlotte and her schooling? Camilla and Charles will host a similar meal at Clarence house for visiting. Its how its done.

To consider a sign that they are close friends, and are calling each other up for advice on parenting is a stretch. Though perhaps discussed the last visit.

Also to note the kids were not involved in these events, so they would not have been mingling with each other.

Its far from the private relationship like between the Scandinavian royals.

Who knows we may have Alexia and Leonor become friends while there.

Alexia strikes me as the more outgoing and wild one of the 3 princess. She probably wanted to get out of the Netherlands not necessarily to attend UWC. Perhaps she wanted to attend NYU or UC-Berkeley and UWC was a happy medium. Out of the Netherlands, still in Europe and experience with dealing with royals.

Alexia strikes me as the more outgoing and wild one of the 3 princess. She probably wanted to get out of the Netherlands not necessarily to attend UWC. Perhaps she wanted to attend NYU or UC-Berkeley and UWC was a happy medium. Out of the Netherlands, still in Europe and experience with dealing with royals.

Princess Alexia's cousin Count Claus-Casimir chose to swap from his Dutch secondary school (Liberal-Christian Lyceum in The Hague) to Gordonstoun in Moray (Scotland). Alexia herself chose to swap from her current secondary school (Sorghvliet Gymnasium in The Hague) to the United World College in Wales.

Alexia's cousine Countess Eloïse succesfully ended her secondary education at the Maerlant Gymnasium in The Hague but instead of enrolling into university (the usual route) she opted for a MBA-program at a Hotel Management School in Amsterdam.

Alexia's sister Princess Amalia is ending her Gymnasium in two months. In media it is rumoured she will have a gap year, to discover the world, before enrolling into university.

King Willem-Alexander himself went to Leyden University, his brother Prince Friso went to Delft Technical University and the College of Engineering at Berkeley (California), his brother Constantijn went to Leyden University, alike the King. Both younger brothers did a post-academic study in Fontainebleau (France).

All choices seem very personal (as it should be). Eloïse is the eldest grandchild of Princess Beatrix and she was the first to be faced with the end of secondary school. The rest is now following fast track, all making their own life choices.

Last edited:

But Berkeley and NYC are universities - tertiary education. Atlantic is still secondary education, it's basically a 6th form college in UK terms and Alexia is only 15. If its something she wants she can still attend a uni/college in the US when she's 18+ just as many royals have done.

Perhaps it is an escape from The Netherlands, just like it seems to have been for her father but she'd have had to have been actively involved in the application process for a UWC school, it's not a pay and go and they are in general not schools that are for everyone.

Who knows we may have Alexia and Leonor become friends while there.

The IB program requires that the students take six subjects (three or four at Higher Level and the rest at Standard Level). One subject must be taken at each of Groups 1-5, where Group 1 is Language and Literature, Group 2 is an additional language, Group 3 is Humanities and Social Sciences, Group 4 is Natural Sciences, and Group 5 is Mathematics. The sixth subject may be from Group 6 (the Arts), or a second approved subject from one of the Groups 1-5.

There are obviously several possible combinations of subjects that satisfy the requirements above. Therefore, even if they are in the same year, Princess Leonor and Princess Alexia will not necessarily take the same classes and may not interact academically.

Now I don't know how the housing arrangements at the college are. Alexia and Leonor probably won't be roommates either, but I wonder if they will live in the same house or interact in the dorms, common halls, etc.

Last edited:
I saw pictures of King WA when he went to the school (like a photosession of sorts). Princess Elisabeth also shared some pictures when she enrolled in the school. So my question is, even though it is unlikely, is there a chance that both girls will take pictures together when they enroll? Like for example, arriving around the same time, and both families wanting to take pictures to release to the media. They might want to take pictures together, who knows...I know it is unlikely, and we'll probably have individual pictures, but just saying...

:previous:
I've thought about it before, but I also think it's unlikely they'll take pictures together, but it's not impossible.
King Willem-Alexander and Queen Maxima and King Felipe VI and Queen Letizia are close. Alexia and Leonor should start classes on the same day and should also go enroll maybe on the same day, so they can even take a picture together.

Last edited:
Since we have no idea what public health will be like when term starts, there's also the possibility that any pictures will involve masks or them being two meters apart. Unfortunately. :ermm:

While it would be nice, unless they actually want to do it, isn't it also a terribly embarrassing thing to make two teenagers do on the first day of school?

I saw pictures of King WA when he went to the school (like a photosession of sorts). Princess Elisabeth also shared some pictures when she enrolled in the school. So my question is, even though it is unlikely, is there a chance that both girls will take pictures together when they enroll? Like for example, arriving around the same time, and both families wanting to take pictures to release to the media. They might want to take pictures together, who knows...I know it is unlikely, and we'll probably have individual pictures, but just saying...

Willem-Alexander is said to have met privately with Queen Elizabeth II when he was a student at Atlantic College. Do you think there is any chance Princess Alexia or Princess Leonor might do that too?

Last edited:
Willem-Alexander is said to have met privately with Queen Elizabeth II when he was a student at Atlantic College. Do you think there is any chance Princess Alexia or Princess Leonor might do that?

Queen Elizabeth and Beatrix were/are close. They are said to visit each other. They have a private relationship outside of royal duties.

It doesn't seem odd that she would have had Beatrix's son for a visit.

She has also been close to Juan Carlos and Sofia.

But she doesn't have the same personal relationship with Willem Alexander or Felipe. Different generations playing a part. I don't see either of their daughters getting a private invitation to tea at Windsor or Buckingham palace with the queen. I don't recall Elisabeth getting an invite.

The girls should be focussed on being students in Wales anyways. Other then trips home for any royal duties there. Not going to visit the Queen in London.

I don't see either of their daughters getting a private invitation to tea at Windsor or Buckingham palace with the queen. I don't recall Elisabeth getting an invite.
We don't know if Elisabeth got an invite. Maybe she did, but then it was a private one. The royals often meet up without us knowing about it.

Last edited:
We don't know if Elisabeth got an invite. Maybe she did, but then it was a private one. The royals often meet up without us knowing about it.

Maybe the invitation would and will come to these young royals from William and Kate as they are the closest heirs in age and likely to reign at similar times

Princess Catharina-Amália is turning 18 in December. Will she take on more prominence and participate in more official activities? who knows an official solo commitment like it happened today with Leonor?

Princess Catharina-Amália is turning 18 in December. Will she take on more prominence and participate in more official activities? who knows an official solo commitment like it happened today with Leonor?

She will start participating in Prinsjesdag and will be installed as a member of the Raad van State.

Other than that, I expect she will continue to focus on her studies; but might take on an occasional event (but I expect them to be sparse and far between).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom