The Princess of Orange, Pss Alexia and Pss Ariane, News Part 2 (Feb 2019 -Dec 2021)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No new photo or anything to commemorate the future Queen's 17th birthday?

Its hard to believe that the Princess will be 18 next year.

It has hit the news here in DK, that a satire show has portrayed the royal family and in particular Amalia in a less than flattering way.

The satire show, RTL's De TV Kantine is being accused of fat-shaming Amalia and that has caused quite a stir according to Danish media.

Here are a few comments on the satire show:
https://www.superguide.nl/nieuws/royalty-kenner-amalia-in-de-tv-kantine-ongepast-tv
https://twitter.com/hashtag/TVKantine?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc^tfw
Here in English:
https://netherlandsnewslive.com/but-najib-amalia-is-inappropriate/62664/
A less than impressed article in German:
https://www.derwesten.de/panorama/p...n-maxima-mobbing-bodyshaming-id231368643.html
https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelige/holland/oproer-over-mobning-af-prinsesse-amalia-skam-jer

It's the first time I read about it... Her parents are used to being portrait in a less than flattering way but so far most didn't really 'touch' the princesses. I guess now she is getting a bit older she is starting to be considered 'fair game' by some?!

The picture included in your first link seems rather bad taste.

Last edited:
:previous: It appears this program went way too far, from satire to humorless cruelty. I hope this episode is the last of it.

Poor taste is putting it nicely.

Kids, even at 17, should be off limits to shows like this.

I truly hope this is the last time we'll see a depiction like this one, but sadly I doubt that it will be. From the new Prince George animated series to this skit featuring "Amalia", there seems to be no limit on using young royals as a source of amusement. :sad:

Poor taste is putting it nicely.

Kids, even at 17, should be off limits to shows like this.
I certainly agree. I think all "shows" that mock and bully anyone are a disgrace. We have cartoons plus Saturday Night Live that use sarcasm and nasty bullying for humor against the Pope, Politicians, Entertainers and Sports Figures. Extremely low class and can be quite vile. For some reason people enjoy. I often wonder if they are bullies themselves or if they would find it enjoyable if their own family was publicly mocked! That being said, to pull apart a child or teen is wicked. The authors and actors should be held accountable publicly for their being morally evil to a child. JMHO

Very little satire is good, come to think of it.

It is possible to do satire that is both sharp, elegant - and which makes the "victim" think perhaps.

Most of it is poor quality or as in this case mean.
Because most satirists don't think about what is good satire, but more about themselves and getting focus on themselves. And the best way to do that is to bush the boundaries.
That the victim is an adolescent, in a very sensitive age and no doubt like all teens very conscious about her looks, is immaterial - as long as I, the Great Satirist, can bask in the limelight.

But how do you explain that to a seventeen year old daughter, even a bright seventeen year old, old standing in front of the mirror?

:previous: It appears this program went way too far, from satire to humorless cruelty. I hope this episode is the last of it.

One would wish,or better want,it is the LAST..

I certainly call on all to ban this non- program of sorts.That Carlo Bosshard creature went too far,way way too far!
And that Najib,how cheap can one get,how cheap,and what reaffirment of sorts,bah bah bah!

Down with the lot!?

No,one hopes for HRH to grow above these sort of folks,stand far above them and ignore them whenever possible.But before the above,it will hurt,hurt a bright,smart,loveble young woman coming at the age of 18 soon,Heir to the Throne,how cheap to mock her. Really,I would love to have a chat with these characters at an appropriate place in Amsterdam...next to a canal..I just took a nip of my glass and oops...gone they were would you believe it...

This is very bad taste and she is a teenager, none of them want to listen that, less to be ashamed in public. It is a very sensitive topic. The only thing is that she is a very tall girl and yes she is not particularly slim and I believe it will carry on to her adulthood, And there she will have to deal with the media because media will not stop. I am not sure how it was in the old days but I am sure not all queens and princesses were pretty and slim. May be her path it is to help girls like her ?

This is not nice at all the Princess has barely turned 17 they should pick on someone else and leave children out of it .

There should be some kind of media law on protecting minors in the media in regards to these shows. I don't mind the odd occasional light hearted/affectionate spoof of a royal child, but picking on their appearances - which they cannot help - is uncalled for. Amalia is only 17 and isn't old enough to have any sort of negative perception of her in the press or any kind of scandal/unfortunate incident happen to her. There's no legitimate thing they can justify their portrayals of her with.

making fun of people based on body features is not satire, it is bullying, let alone if the focus is on a minor.
satire is usually based on what somebody did or said, there is a lot of funny stuff out there eg on WA and his speedboat, which is perfectly fine.

I am not sure if they actually made fun of her weight.

I do not like the programme but their parodies tend to be very good-natured. The (lame) joke was that - instead of an Amalia- the family was now joined by an 'Amhalia' as the name of the stand up comedian who played her is Najib Ahmali. That's all.

Apparently 3 people on twitter had problems with it, saw fat-shaming and the Telegraaf newspaper -the closest thing we have to a tabloid- used those 3 tweets to write an article about people being 'outraged'. And one of the outraged tweets was by columnist Arthur van Amerongen, whose 'outraged' tweet was actually intended to mock people who are eternally outraged on twitter, which was lost on whatever badly paid intern was tasked with writing the article.

Personally I think it is better if they would have waited until the princess is an adult but as parodies go it can't be much friendlier than this.

Last edited:
Yes, this program and the tv station are some of the most mainstream we have in the NL, and indeed the critique, as far as i read it was mainly about her being played by a mature man (like Marengo said, this is comedian Najib Amhali, i think they made the connection because of his last name which turned to Amhalia) and people under 18 should not be parodied, period. Most reactions on nu.nl (article i can't find anymore unfortunately) were also to that extend, carefully to avoid commenting on her looks, again because of her age.

other than that the parody got praised for some of the other performances and likenesses.

i'm not a watcher of the program myself, but i do agree that under-18's are off limit

Parodies always exagarate a specific thing that is noticeable about a person, imo if Amalia will start making more personal appearances after she turns 18, and people will get to know her personality (which we don't really know now because we only see the princesses a few times a year in pictures, so all we know is what they look like) a parody likely this will focus on something else..

Parodies are never to everyone's liking i'm afraid :flowers:

There are a few options for Amalia,
she ignores all this, takes the job...
she develops eating disorder and be the second Victoria... who knows if she can then ever cope with all the expectations of the job...
she skips the job , which I think would be a healthy decision for her future...

Seriously, how should any commoner marrying a royal and getting a parent one day cope with all this sh.. done to your child?

There are a few options for Amalia,
she ignores all this, takes the job...
she develops eating disorder and be the second Victoria... who knows if she can then ever cope with all the expectations of the job...
she skips the job , which I think would be a healthy decision for her future...

Seriously, how should any commoner marrying a royal and getting a parent one day cope with all this sh.. done to your child?

Skips the job? Seriously? Don't you think her father, mother and grandmother have been ensuring she is ready for being Crown Princess and Queen Regent? And building resilience in her to cope with this type of harrassment? Of course they have!

This type of bullying toward Amalia, albeit in an implicit manner, is disgusting. She is only 17 years old FFS. No child and very young adult should have to go through such public display of bullying. And those who believe she should be only sheltered until 18 need to remember an adult's brain is not matured until mid-20s. This is why it is so important young adults have the scaffolding, guidance and mentorship to help build resilience.

I am so glad Amalia and her sisters come from a loving and grounded family where they will help her navigate being such a public figure

I fear that criticism will come way before she is in her mid 20-ties. It is a free country people even have a right to express dismay at public figures, including an adult princess who will be receiving over a million Euros of tax payers money.

Up to now the press has been very kind to her and to the other princesses. We have seldom -if ever- seen a paparazzi photo published. She and her sisters were able to grow up in relatively normal, sheltered and very priviledged way.

The issue is probably not so much the press but more social media. There people blurt out whatever it is they think and that sometimes can get nasty and insulting. The one or two discussions on social media on Amalia generally will see only a handful of nasty remarks -usually about weight- after which an army of other users tumble all over each other to sing her praises and to condemn whatever it is that was said. All well-meaning for sure but the more oxygen you give trolls the more you amplify them as well.

Last edited:
Taking another good look at the character "Amhalia" the adult Male comedian dressed up as Amalia. I don't see anything "good natured" going on. The world can be a very cruel place, obviously not everyone's sensibilities are the same, and in some cases no sensibility.
https://www.superguide.nl/nieuws/royalty-kenner-amalia-in-de-tv-kantine-ongepast-tv:bang:

It is fortunate Amalia comes from what appears to be a very loving, strong supportive family. Amalia is very pretty, obviously nothing like this dreadful, character (ick) other than blue outfits. If she does become aware of this program I hope it can only make her stronger and not on the way to developing an eating disorder or worse. I recall Maxima's sister committed suicide, just saying.

This type of bullying toward Amalia, albeit in an implicit manner, is disgusting. She is only 17 years old FFS. No child and very young adult should have to go through such public display of bullying. And those who believe she should be only sheltered until 18 need to remember an adult's brain is not matured until mid-20s. This is why it is so important young adults have the scaffolding, guidance and mentorship to help build resilience.

I do get what you're saying, really i do, but...

I fear that criticism will come way before she is in her mid 20-ties. It is a free country people even have a right to express dismay at public figures, including an adult princess who will be receiving over a million Euros of tax payers money.

...apparently her parents and the government think she will be mature enough to be paid this amount of money when she's 18...
then i don't think they can avoid people on social media talking about her after she turned 18...

But I'm sure her parents have prepared her well, also in this aspect, the king himself also received his fair of criticism when he was about her age..

the king himself also received his fair of criticism when he was about her age..

Was a totally different time and pre advent of social media arm chair warriors.

well better she keeps off social media, doesn't read about herself in the papers and mags etc.. Unless she doesn't want to be Queen...

This sort of thing will only accelerate as Amalia ages, so she'll have to deal with it.
People will criticize her weight, her clothes, her friends, her pets.
Happens to any one in the public eye, and there's not much to prevent it.

Hopefully, she will be strong enough to ignore it.

I think it was a very bad taste to include the Princess in their satire program. Amalia is currently 17 years old, a very sensitive age where one is VERY conscious of his/her body (and mostly in a bad way, since teenagers are usually "harsh" on themselves looks-wise).

I suffered from overweight when I was a teen, and I never forgot what the bullies said about my appearance, it left a scar on my heart. Despite all that, I grew up a confident woman (but not without its hardships). Yes, it took a long time to love myself, and I keep trying to, but I came to "heal" despite the horrible days at Middle School.

That said, and right now, Amalia is a teen coming of age, things like this will certainly hurt her deeply (she won't probably forget about it), but I hope that she will come to terms with it as she gets older. I believe she will. She looks like a very strong, confident young woman. I'm sure that she will realise that there's more to life than just those mean people.

I think adults who feel the need to pick on children or young people are very insecure about them self's. It is always easier to pick on someone else, then look at one's self, these people should take a good look in the mirror and be honest and ask them self's if they like what they see?. Sadly to say Bullying has been with Society maybe since the beginning of time. As time goes on it is getting worse. The arrogance of these people is sickening, maybe if someone do it to them or their children, it will open their eye, but I don't think so, their selfishness don't allow it. To these people I can only say grow up and get a life.

Skips the job? Seriously? Don't you think her father, mother and grandmother have been ensuring she is ready for being Crown Princess and Queen Regent? And building resilience in her to cope with this type of harrassment? Of course they have!

I am so glad Amalia and her sisters come from a loving and grounded family where they will help her navigate being such a public figure

These were only suggestions, thought it was obvious, sorry if you did not get it.

But to your opinions : what do you think about the swedish side, do you think Carl&Sylvia had done a bad job because Victoria developed eating disorder?

and yes, skipping the job is of course an option for amalia or should be. every being is meant to be free of choice why not a crown princess, because people like you expect it? may I then ask back:
who are you to decide about one's life? are you dutch, by the way?
see? it is a thin thin line in our days, when we all long for freedom, democracy , human rigths.... why should a 17 year old run for the job? and this seen in the context of the harassment she receives for not looking like " some people" expect her to.
interesting questions. would like to read from you again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom