The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-16-2020, 11:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
I thought I read another poster mention they talked about her doing a gap year after high school, after the press conference.

Now I am confused, as I went to find the post to see if I was mixing up Amalia and Eloise. I am confused as this was Your post.

The military masters degree open to civilians seems a good option for her if she wants to get some experience.

I agree for her actual bachelors degree I would think she would be in the Netherlands. But I wouldn't rule out a semester abroad. But if she wants to do a whole degree, a masters later in a different country would make sense.
Thanks! It seems that I mixed it up. I guess both parents discussed it (or I am really confused)

Old 09-17-2020, 07:44 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Not necessarily. In Belgium the King (and eventually queen) is the commander and chief of the armed forces. So it makes sense that Elisabeth is encouraged to at least do the one year program.

In the Netherlands, the monarch hasn't been commander in chief since 1983. So there wouldn't be the same pressure for a monarch to have experience. That doesn't rule out her joining.

I don't know. Is there an option in the Netherlands like Elisabeth is doing? Could she go in for a training program but not actually join the armed forces? Elisabeth is not enlisted, she is simply taking an one year program at the military academy. Is there such an option in the Netherlands?

I don't believe, correct me if I am wrong, that either of the king's brothers did military training. I know he did before he went to university.

I think they will likely wait until spring to make any choices. It seems to have been said earlier that the plan was for Amalia to take a gap year and then go to university. I would thin university plans would need to be cemented in the spring. If it looks like a gap year is not possible next fall, or may not be possible, she may just apply to start university right away.

If she misses her gap year maybe she will get the opportunity for a semester abroad program. Or some other chance to live abroad later on. Both of her Uncles did part of their university abroad. And she certainly wouldn't be the first heir to go to university in another country (Fred spent time at Harvard, Victoria at Yale, Felipe did Georgetown with Pavlos, Haakon at the London school of economics, Philippe at Oxford and Stanford). Her father did his university in the Netherlands but he had the chance to study abroad during secondary school having attended the same school in Wales that Elisabeth just graduated from. Charles and Andrew both spent time during secondary school abroad, Charles in Australia and Andrew Canada.

I assume she will likely take similar courses to many of the heirs have done. Political science, international relations type route. Her sisters will have more freedom in what they study.
Exactly in Belgium and Spain also the king is the commander and head of the armed forces.
Then Princess Catharina-Amalia won't have to have military training.
Princess Leonor of Spain, according to the Spanish press, is expected to have military training as is Princess Elisabeth of Belgium. The Princess of Orange will have more freedom in that regard.

Old 09-17-2020, 08:30 AM
Imperial Majesty

In the Netherlands the Government ( = King and ministers) hold the supreme command on the armed forces, on foreign relations, on declaring war, etc.

The modernization in 1983 made the articles in the Constitution in line with reality: yes, in 1815 it was the King, and the King alone, to decide but we have evolued to a parliamentary democracy.

And exactly because the Government ( = King and ministers) hold the supreme command, members of the Government can not be an active military. This would mean the Commander commanding himself. That is why the Prince of Orange laid down all his military commissions before assuming the kingship.

The Dutch position is constitutionally the most true to daily reality, in this aspect, as in reality King Philippe has zero comma zero authority as "supreme commander" as every hiccup has to be covered by the ministers. We have seen with Leopold III what the outcome is when a King does not follow ministerial limits.
Old 10-20-2020, 05:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Lots of 'Amalia'-news today. At least four of today's headlines at the NOS-website include her:
Dienstplicht nu ook voor meisjes, prinses Amalia krijgt ook een uitnodiging (Conscription now also for girls, princess Amalia also gets an invitation)
Wekdienst: Bedreiger prinses Amalia voor de rechter (Wake-up service: Threatner princess Amalia in court)
OM eist cel en tbs voor man die prinses Amalia bedreigde (OM demands prison and tbs for man who threatened princess Amalia)
Amalia en Alexia bleven achter in Griekenland, keerden vanavond pas terug (Amalia and Alixia remained in Greece, returned only tonight) (see general family topic for this discussion on TRF)