The Princess of Orange, Pss Alexia and Pss Ariane, News Part 2 (Feb 2019 -Dec 2021)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You mean Alexia's lovely red hair isn't natural? That seems sad.

Wonder if she will have the typical quincienera????

It isn't common in the Netherlands but with an Argentinian mother, who knows. I don't remember any reports about a quinceanera for Amalia though.

Wonder if she will have the typical quincienera????

Interesting question. It would be a nice idea to keep up with Alexia's Argentinian heritage, but with the current social distancing measures (according to some posts from Dutch people on Twitter, people have been good at following social distancing rules in the Netherlands) I sadly can't see a big quinceanera party happening.

It isn't common in the Netherlands but with an Argentinian mother, who knows. I don't remember any reports about a quinceanera for Amalia though.
May be they would have done something very private and small ??? It is such a huge thing in Argentina and I wonder if Maxima had one. With the access of money that they have and I see Maxima keeping some of the Argentinean tradition I would be very surprise she woudn't do something special for their daughters 15 birthday!

Interesting question. It would be a nice idea to keep up with Alexia's Argentinian heritage, but with the current social distancing measures (according to some posts from Dutch people on Twitter, people have been good at following social distancing rules in the Netherlands) I sadly can't see a big quinceanera party happening.
That it is true, social distancing and the virus would be a problem for a party. How it is in the Netherlands? Here you can have a party up to 30 people. And I read today the red zone it will open next week in the Netherlands.

Last edited by a moderator:
May be they would have done something very private and small ??? It is such a huge thing in Argentina and I wonder if Maxima had one. With the access of money that they have and I see Maxima keeping some of the Argentinean tradition I would be very surprise she woudn't do something special for their daughters 15 birthday!

I fully agree that it would be rather likely that Máxima would throw something like a quinceanera party for her daughters - but as we didn't hear about it for Amalia, it is unlikely that we'll hear about it for Alexia. Even more so in Corona times.

:previous:
https://www.quinceanera.com/traditions/different-countries-cultures-different-quince-traditions/

Quinceanera in Argentina , Uruguay, and Paraguay
Prior to the Quinceanera’s birthday, in Argentina and Uruguay a congratulatory message is painted on the sidewalk of the house of the girl. While in Paraguay, the banquet is served between the Quince waltz and the traditional choreography. Something else that stands out in these Quinceaneras is the dress. In Argentina, it is not required that the guests dress in formal attire; it is something more casual, like a regular birthday party.

It depends of the financial of the family, it is close to a wedding celebration a big deal and most of the times it is formal attire. 20 years ago the dress of the quinicinera had to be white, now it changed , it can be colour dress.
here is a couple of videos how it is really in Argenitna;

Fiestas de quince - Videos -Event Planners, Organización de Eventos - Maria Ines Novegil

some photos:
Fiestas de Quince, Bar y Bat Mitzvah: Event Planners, Organización de Eventos - Maria Ines Novegil

It depends of the financial of the family, it is close to a wedding celebration a big deal and most of the times it is formal attire. 20 years ago the dress of the quinicinera had to be white, now it changed , it can be colour dress.
here is a couple of videos how it is really in Argenitna;

Fiestas de quince - Videos -Event Planners, Organización de Eventos - Maria Ines Novegil

some photos:
Fiestas de Quince, Bar y Bat Mitzvah: Event Planners, Organización de Eventos - Maria Ines Novegil

thank you! I would be surprised if the Princess Amalia did not have such a party~:lol:

thank you! I would be surprised if the Princess Amalia did not have such a party~:lol:
Agreed, First I am not sure what Maxima got for her 15 birthday but when you consider the financial position that they have I am sur Maxima would love to through a party like this to her daughters.

At the press meeting after the photo call yesterday it was said that the princess of Orange is planning a gap year after graduating from high school next year before continuing university studies. There are no clear plans yet as a lot will depend on the status of the pandemic and any travel restrictions.

At the press meeting after the photo call yesterday it was said that the princess of Orange is planning a gap year after graduating from high school next year before continuing university studies. There are no clear plans yet as a lot will depend on the status of the pandemic and any travel restrictions.

Yes,she skipped a year at school so now is in that position,which is great!

That will be interesting. On the assumption that the pandemic has abated by then, it will be good opportunity for the Princess to travel and possibly live briefly in another part of the world, possibly South America.

Yes,she skipped a year at school so now is in that position,which is great!

Technically, children born before January 1 are not considered to have skipped a class. The new tendency is that school's need to explain if they keep the child in kindergarten instead of having it move on to 'grade 3' (first class of primary school but in the Netherlands kindergarten and primary school are integrated into one 8-year path (I know you know this but probably not everyone else). Nonetheless, some schools still prefer to keep the 'autumn children' another year, while others move most of them on; ideally each child is observed individually to decide what's best and in Amalia's case it was decided that it was best for her to move on.

Posts about the income and costs of the Princess of Orange in 2021 can be found in this thread.

Apparently, the king attended a parent meeting at the princesses' school on Monday. I wonder whether it was about final year regulations etc, which makes me wonder what the princess of Orange might do next year as this is her final year of high school? Will she take a gap year (if possible - her cousin Eloise wanted to but ended up going straight to the Hotelschool (which includes a semester abroad in the second year), will she start her university studies and if so, will she go to Leiden University like her father and grandmother studying which degree, or will she take some military training first like fellow-heir princess Elisabeth?

Princess Elisabeth of Belgium is in military training. Will the Princess of Orange also have military training?

:previous: Not necessarily. In Belgium the King (and eventually queen) is the commander and chief of the armed forces. So it makes sense that Elisabeth is encouraged to at least do the one year program.

In the Netherlands, the monarch hasn't been commander in chief since 1983. So there wouldn't be the same pressure for a monarch to have experience. That doesn't rule out her joining.

I don't know. Is there an option in the Netherlands like Elisabeth is doing? Could she go in for a training program but not actually join the armed forces? Elisabeth is not enlisted, she is simply taking an one year program at the military academy. Is there such an option in the Netherlands?

I don't believe, correct me if I am wrong, that either of the king's brothers did military training. I know he did before he went to university.

I think they will likely wait until spring to make any choices. It seems to have been said earlier that the plan was for Amalia to take a gap year and then go to university. I would thin university plans would need to be cemented in the spring. If it looks like a gap year is not possible next fall, or may not be possible, she may just apply to start university right away.

If she misses her gap year maybe she will get the opportunity for a semester abroad program. Or some other chance to live abroad later on. Both of her Uncles did part of their university abroad. And she certainly wouldn't be the first heir to go to university in another country (Fred spent time at Harvard, Victoria at Yale, Felipe did Georgetown with Pavlos, Haakon at the London school of economics, Philippe at Oxford and Stanford). Her father did his university in the Netherlands but he had the chance to study abroad during secondary school having attended the same school in Wales that Elisabeth just graduated from. Charles and Andrew both spent time during secondary school abroad, Charles in Australia and Andrew Canada.

I assume she will likely take similar courses to many of the heirs have done. Political science, international relations type route. Her sisters will have more freedom in what they study.

:previous: Not necessarily. In Belgium the King (and eventually queen) is the commander and chief of the armed forces. So it makes sense that Elisabeth is encouraged to at least do the one year program.

In the Netherlands, the monarch hasn't been commander in chief since 1983. So there wouldn't be the same pressure for a monarch to have experience. That doesn't rule out her joining.

I don't know. Is there an option in the Netherlands like Elisabeth is doing? Could she go in for a training program but not actually join the armed forces? Elisabeth is not enlisted, she is simply taking an one year program at the military academy. Is there such an option in the Netherlands?

It seems that the most likely option for a 'short military training' would be the 'Korte Officiers Opleiding' (i.e., the short officers program). This program takes about 1 1/2 years: 16 weeks practical basic military training, 28 weeks theoretical basic military training, 6 months-3 years specialized military training in one of the units of the armed forces (the marine is already separated from the start and is located at Den Helder; the others are taking their military training in Breda). To be eligible for this program a Bachelor is required, so Amalia would only be able to enter AFTER at least completing her undergraduate (though I am quite sure she will also pursue a Master's degree).

Another alternative if she wants some in-depth knowledge of the military without becoming a soldier herself is to take a Master's degree at the Military Academy, such as the Master program Military Strategic Studies (2 years part-time study); as this program and a few others are also open to civilians.

I think they will likely wait until spring to make any choices. It seems to have been said earlier that the plan was for Amalia to take a gap year and then go to university. I would thin university plans would need to be cemented in the spring. If it looks like a gap year is not possible next fall, or may not be possible, she may just apply to start university right away.

If she misses her gap year maybe she will get the opportunity for a semester abroad program. Or some other chance to live abroad later on. Both of her Uncles did part of their university abroad. And she certainly wouldn't be the first heir to go to university in another country (Fred spent time at Harvard, Victoria at Yale, Felipe did Georgetown with Pavlos, Haakon at the London school of economics, Philippe at Oxford and Stanford). Her father did his university in the Netherlands but he had the chance to study abroad during secondary school having attended the same school in Wales that Elisabeth just graduated from. Charles and Andrew both spent time during secondary school abroad, Charles in Australia and Andrew Canada.

I assume she will likely take similar courses to many of the heirs have done. Political science, international relations type route. Her sisters will have more freedom in what they study.
I don't recall any mentions by either Amalia or her parents on taking a gap year. Prince Constantijn did mention that his daughter Eloise intended to take a gap year but that didn't work out as planned.

If Amalia (and her sisters) take a gap year, I would expect that year to at least be partly spend in Latin-America, so they can further explore their roots...

A semester abroad or doing her master's study abroad also seem to be likely options. I don't expect her to do her Bachelor's abroad.

Last edited:
:previous: I thought I read another poster mention they talked about her doing a gap year after high school, after the press conference.

Now I am confused, as I went to find the post to see if I was mixing up Amalia and Eloise. I am confused as this was Your post.

The military masters degree open to civilians seems a good option for her if she wants to get some experience.

I agree for her actual bachelors degree I would think she would be in the Netherlands. But I wouldn't rule out a semester abroad. But if she wants to do a whole degree, a masters later in a different country would make sense.

Apparently, the king attended a parent meeting at the princesses' school on Monday. I wonder whether it was about final year regulations etc, which makes me wonder what the princess of Orange might do next year as this is her final year of high school? Will she take a gap year (if possible - her cousin Eloise wanted to but ended up going straight to the Hotelschool (which includes a semester abroad in the second year), will she start her university studies and if so, will she go to Leiden University like her father and grandmother studying which degree, or will she take some military training first like fellow-heir princess Elisabeth?

Did the princess attend the college of the Atlantic like her father and the Belgian princess Elizabeth? Otherwise, this could perhaps be a destination for next year.

Did the princess attend the college of the Atlantic like her father and the Belgian princess Elizabeth? Otherwise, this could perhaps be a destination for next year.

No, she has done her education in the Netherlands.

If she was going to have gone to UWC it would have been last year and this year. Its a secondary school. In June she will graduate from high school and be ready for post-secondary school.

Why would she do another year of high school while she already completed the highest level of high school in the Netherlands (at the end of this year)? I see little reason to pick high school after graduation over a gap year or studying abroad (in the next few years) while at university.

The Dutch population wouldn't understand such a strange move either...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom